Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

So I guess Ben Mendelsohn is just the go to authoritarian villain now huh?

The dark reign of Mark Strong is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Parties with dwarfs, that have silver trays on their heads, which have lines of cocaine on them, or its a cop out.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Someone finally made a movie about goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq7lOpfyn2U

#NotAllGoons

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
According to Monarch Sciences King Ghidorah is 521 feet tall.

Why exactly would a modern multinational shadow org use an ancient and redundant measuring system I am not so sure but, that is 159 meters.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

married but discreet posted:

Yeah the current one.

The new Jack Ryan has some black CIA official mention putting a report on the President's desk by the morning and not immediately laugh and also mention crayons so I'm thinking their pres is not, infact, the current one.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The usual offering of poo poo, poo poo and poo poo then.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Jedit posted:

And it's about 90% the same footage as the trailer that made it look poo poo. Myself I'm still not sure whether the US trailer is just awful or the international trailer is polishing a turd, but I know that until now I haven't fully appreciated the art of editing.

E: thinking about it, it's probably still the latter. Most of what's been edited out is Sophie Turner acting, and that's the thing that put me off most in the US trailer.

I don't think she is a bad actor, nor a particularly good one, it's just that the role that made her is going to follow her forever. She may as well change her name to Sansa Stark. Also she hasn't followed the standard route of British actors by getting hosed up in childhood and using acting as an outlet.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Lobok posted:

Oh I don't doubt it, but I think Prince of Persia is relevant to the "too good for superheroes" claim when he already did a whitewashed videogame movie.

I know the conversation has moved on, but Persians are white.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I am going to assume Will Smith just doesn't have much power behind his voice. I prefer the Robin Williams version, but that version will still be there for people to chose. It does look lovely though.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

The Cameo posted:

It was legitimately the movie that made me go “oh wow, Julia Roberts isn’t interested in being America’s sweetheart anymore at all”.

She also has a great story about seeing it in London and the theatre bringing out ice cream for a treat during the intermission and her being like “uh, what” to the idea of having ice cream in the middle of a dark, harsh play about relationships

Ice cream was not appropriate is not a statement I ever expected to ever read but here we are.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I got dragged, by my daughter, to see it in the west end, and I couldn't really tell you much about it. I liked the King's song, the rest were forgettable. I got serveral sharp looks for laughing when Hamilton's son got killed. That was hilarious.

I am still unsure how to take the whole blackwashing of the lives of people who owned legions of slaves, but it gets more roles for poc so I guess its a positive thing overall.

We also saw Six, which was a far better ahistorical musical imo

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

Hugh Grant's had a bit of a career renaissance hasn't he? Not that I'm complaining, he was loving great in Paddington 2.

Is the novel this is based on any good?

Other than being a bit of a toff, Hugh is a good lad. His hatred of Murdock is impressive.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

PST posted:

That thing where a film (or tv show in this case) has absolutely nothing to do with the source material other than some names and vague themes.

(Note, if you like Pratchett's Discworld, this trailer will only annoy you)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymQMJDmhu70

What the gently caress is that?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Poor Wales.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That reminds me I haven't seen King of the Monsters, just how bad is it?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Yeah, it wasn't bad, just very very dumb.

Mat Cauthon posted:

the dad from Friday Night Lights.

Aside from Jackson's King Kong, I don't think I have seen in any roles that where is not Dad.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
If you watched the credits of KoM you find put that the titans have reversed all ecological problems and the earth is doing great. There is a stinger as well.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
My children refuse to even watch Goonies. :(

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

The MSJ posted:

We're starting to see something out of that Netflix deal with Mark Millar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY3IAqm-gpE

The world is changing, so we will have to change with it = Ninja Lady In JAPAN!

So what would you do if you were calling the shots? BIGGER PUCH

I'm sure I will watch it, but ffs, this poo poo has been done to death.

When I saw the ad on Netflix it was only a picture and I thought it was the much anticipated sequel to international smash hit Jupiter Ascending :v:

Collateral fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 7, 2021

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Some of them could have been game cutscenes. The ones based on actual short stories were very good though.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I know theatre isn't the same thing but I gave a loud "ahaha" when Hamiltons son got killed. Only to get aggressively shushed, as this was in London. My daughter was suitably mortified.

Dude got what was coming to him imo.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
SKEETER!

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So that kid is eternally 13? What a nightmare.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The twist will them going back into the past and trying to wipe out the aliens homeworld before the aliens invade, failing to do so, and starting the war.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Yeah those first 5 seconds are for when the video appears as pre-roll ad for another youtube video. *Not* for people that click on a direct link to the trailer knowing what they're watching.

Anyway have a second teaser for Apple+'s Foundation adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvOAA1U0li8

Maybe I am missing something but isn't that the prelude to the book.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Pretty skeptical with DUNC apparently removing all traces of Islamic culture and aesthetics. They've made all the costumes super bland and, in the trailers at least, replaced every instance of the word jihad with "crusade". Muslims in Space is one of the big things that makes the book so unique and interesting so it's disheartening that they apparently threw it all out. Like it would have been the perfect opportunity to get a bunch of actors of Middle Eastern descent some exposure. Like when's the last time you saw a big Blockbuster have an Arab or Iranian etc. actor (whose heritage wasn't hidden by the movie) in a front and center role that wasn't "terrorist leader" or similar?

Rami Malek is doing OK tbh.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I am sure middle Eastern actors star in middle Eastern movies and TV shows. I'm not 100% sure what you trying to say here? Because America is the global hegemon then its fantasy must be representative of everyone?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Explain the difference between terrorist and international criminal mastermind?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Who poked the SW thread hornets nest?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Is that the Jackson doc?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What is it about the pathology of it that drives them to never, ever shut up about it? I feel like racists can shut it off sometimes, or won’t do it unless prompted.

Domestic abuse.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
He asked, the most strident are usually the victims of domestic abuse.

JK Rowling has stated that she is the victim of domestic abuse. Do you not believe her?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Graham Linehan was not abused, unless you count his many bodyings on twitter, including one from his brother-in-law (now ex-brother-in-law), which I do.

No, he is a world class poo poo stain.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Looks like a mess, a glorious post modernist mess.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

I'm not saying the US is better on trans issues; I definitely think it isn't. But TERFism is promulgated within the UK media sphere on much greater level than in the US. Just look at this recent article published by the BBC, entitled "'We're being pressured into sex by some trans women'."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-57853385

I haven't seen anything comparably vitriolic from a comparable "centrist" US media source. This also gets at another difference: in the US, popular transphobic stories focus predominantly on sports teams and bathrooms, but in the UK you also get the whole bizarre "the trans agenda is the first wave of a lesbian genocide" schtick and related angles as well.

The question was why TERF mouthpieces, who are predominantly UK based, are so loud and persistent in their messaging, and the answer is at least in part that they've been given access to some pretty sizable soapboxes in the UK media that span the ideological spectrum in a way that they haven't in the US.

There are a lot of poo poo stirrers who are in a feeding frenzy using genuinely traumatised/marginalised people to further/attack whatever agenda is dejure this week. Parasitic bastards. The UK media is a midden.

Drama productions are mostly cool tho.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Will they get any credit?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
With actual far out variances of reality, including the 2d one. How thet stich it all together will make or brake it, also an actually good story will help.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The man was a loving pig, whose big thing was telling a poor mother not to let her physicians give her son asprin. Not because he knew it was an anticoagulant, but because he was of the "heal with hands" school of quackery. This gave him quasi authority to be a sick bastard to any unfortunate woman he found alone, or even in limited company.

The story of his death is pure metal tho.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Is Radcliffe 4ft tall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
See whenever I see BULLOCK I think BOLLOCK, and chuckle like the child I am.