Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXz7lpPK_QA

It's Cary Fukunaga so it can't be too bad, but I gotta say that trailer looks rather ugly. The theme surely lends itself to a more... deliberate style of cinematography. This just looks plain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This looks really loving good I can't believe I'm saying it but I'm gonna enjoy the heck out of this pikachu movie

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Danny Boyle's new movie about a man who wakes up in a world with no Beatles, and takes advantage of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD6FDkUXSZQ#t=10s

edit: I hope there's a point where he runs out of songs he knows 100% and has to make up lyrics, which causes his popularity to slip.
I love Danny Boyle, and this is hella fresh.

Wondering who are the two dudes who claims they wrote the Beatles song

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Frozen 2 trailer had some gorgeous shots. That hyper-realistic ocean really makes those cartoony characters look ridiculous, though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

Seriously, why did they cast this beautiful man as Jafar? On the one hand, it's totally cool that there's a POC getting what I suppose is a high profile role, but why did they make him so beautiful?
what are you so upset abou

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

clown shoes posted:

David Fincher's animation anthology Love Death + Robots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUFwunMKa4E
Was a little disappointed to see the word "anthology" mid-trailer. I was genuinely looking forward to a show where all of those eclectic art styles coexisted.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I can't remember what happened in Hugo at all. Like, I remember a toy shop, a train station and a kid, but literally nothing else.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I felt like the trailer is already giving away too much. Looks like it's just gonna be an Remaining Avengers Assemble movie.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Also that Thor moment is awful lol. I wish filmmakers would find less trite ways of conveying "woman surprisingly kicks rear end."

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

bows1 posted:

that black&white + red color scheme is horrific.
looked bad even for a film school project

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ariza posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfWGDAPzLQE

A trailer for Lucy in the Sky, feature film debut for Noah Hawley (Fargo & Legion). Looks like it's going to be a nutso movie, which fits in with all of his work with Legion. I hated Natalie Portman's hair, but it's growing on me now.
nothing in this trailer makes sense, i'm still gonna watch it but this is 100% going to bomb and noah hawley will never get the money to make a feature film again

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That trailer is fuckin fresh

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That Joker movie has pretensions of art house cinema and that's good enough for me. Might be a day 1 watch

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

punch drunk posted:

I liked Whiplash a lot but really wished it was someone besides Miles Teller. Something about him really rubs me the wrong way and even though I like Refn a lot I'm not sure I can watch this much of Miles.
Teller having a punchable face is part of what makes Whiplash good imo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

this is likely a superior piece of media to avengers endgame

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The idea that a stellar cast is being “wasted” in an animated film makes no sense. The only reason the film can get these stars is because it’s animated and takes about two days of work. They literally couldn’t afford these people if it was a live action production.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This looks hella fun

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Mortal Kombat 11 is out and I'm posting the trailer here because they finally used *that* music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTGRHx3H6N0
Video games having trailers just breaks my head. It doesn't feel like a thing that makes sense to happen.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Goddamn does Catch 22 look good:

https://youtu.be/JARn16yojbQ
No idea who the younger actors are, but there's Coach Taylor, Hugh Laurie and George Clooney. Worth the watch already.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Jake Gyllenhaal is too good for this superhero poo poo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

morestuff posted:

New one from the Beberian Sound Studio and Duke of Burgundy director

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biHUTtV4K40
I saw this at a film fest. It's sensual as heck.

Just as likely to put you to sleep as Duke of Burgundy, though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Skip this overserious adaptation of a funny movie and watch the director's latest film, Parasite. It's the bee's knees.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Samovar posted:

Eesh. This is a pretty lackluster trailer imo for something I would want to see:

https://youtu.be/deAtHeQDr4Y
Came here to post this, felt the exact same way.

1. The journalist reminds me of that David Foster Wallace movie, The End of the Tour. I think it's a cop-out as a screenwriter. You can't write convincingly about someone who was larger than life, so you had to insert some observer character (maybe an actual person, sure) to tell audiences what they should be feeling.

2. That scene on the subway was pretty cringe-worthy.

3. Hanks's impression seem off, but he's Tom Hanks so I'm more inclined to blame the trailer than to blame him at this point.

4. It's just a pretty poorly cut trailer all around.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

She also directed Diary of a Teenage Girl which got pretty good reviews.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is it common to have guests dictate the fruit cutting

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hunger Games For Grown Ups

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

So what, De Niro supposed to be Irish here? That trailer communicated nothing and was pretty poorly cut IMO.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Two box office failures in row for Scorsese, phwoar

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There never seems to be any explanation of how these one-shot movies are supposed to be more enjoyable.

In the authentic one-shot movies you just keep searching for the near-misses, the would-have-been-reshot-if-it-wasn’t-so-much-trouble scenes. In the fake stitched-together ones you are always searching for the seams, to find where they taped it together.

It’s all really distracting, not to mention often plain worse.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have no problem with one-shot scenes. But one-shot movies are almost never worth it. It’s pretty unlikely that your 2 hour motion picture isn’t somehow improved by a good editor seamlessly stitching a superior take into it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Counterpoint to this discussion, Victoria is a perfect no bullshit one shot movie with no "misses" and the technique really serves the movie well.
I was going to mention this specifically, because Victoria is a perfectly bullshit one-shot movie with many scenes that would have been improved with another take.

Also, did you really at no point think “wow they didn’t cut here?” “whoosh that dude almost ruined the take” “wonder how they planned that so it didn’t gently caress up” “wow it’s one hour in and they’re still doing the one-shot, cool”

To me single-shot scenes often work well when you don’t notice they’re single-shot. They’re powerfully immersive and don’t call attention to themselves. A single-shot movie, by virtue of how long it is, has no way to do that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

So this dropped: Bombshell is based on the Roger Ailes scandal and stars Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman, and Margot Robbie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXL33tEUA3g
Seems like nobody commented on this (admittedly the Greener Grass trailer is way more interesting), but I like how this trailer was cut. Can't say I'd pay a dime to see a story about these humans, though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Cameo posted:

I don't think Megyn Kelly had to watch her mother kill her father because her father was going to kill them.

I'm entirely loving serious, that happened to Charlize Theron when she was like sixteen. Her alcoholic dad got drunk, beat her mom up, pulled a gun and shot at the both of them, her mom managed to wrangle the gun from him and took him out.
If they depicted this in a biopic nobody would believe it

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Joaquin looks amazing and the whole thing seems competently shot but every line of the script in that trailer is just wayyyy too on the nose

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wasn’t Theron with Another Noted rear end in a top hat Sean Penn for quite a while too? That’d make some sense.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I still don't understand the premise of the story but it's Taika so why the gently caress would you not watch this opening night. Hunt for the Wilderpeople was really good too btw.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

considering the current culture climate they probably have to
There was a new research report recently that showed a huge fuckton of people cannot identify satire when they see it. It’s not just a small minority.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

it's not a good idea to get this excited about a movie imo, nothing good comes of overly high expectations

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Todd Haynes directs Ruffalo blowing Dupont's whistle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvAOuhyunhY
Ruffalo and Hathaway look awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's a lovely, repulsive franchise.
I only saw the first one. It's like the least objectionable action movie.