Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Knight Rider reboot looking sound, but I still miss the car.

It will also amuse you all to hear that my mother heard about red band trailers and thought they were for an upcoming movie called The Red Band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Huh, it's Knight Rider combined with M.A.N.T.I.S.. Or a remake of The Tuxedo if you're so inclined. :v:

Being British and of a certain age my first thought was of MACH-1, the early 2000AD strip about a secret agent who is severely injured and and rebuilt $6m Man style with a computer in his head telling him how to perform superhuman feats. But yeah, we're not going to watch this for the original storyline, we're going to watch it because it looks good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jerkface posted:

What is A24 and why does everyone like them

They're a film company, and this is why people like them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ammanas posted:

So does the character really like snakes or something. Cuz why would he name himself Venom if an alien symbiote took over his body

In the comics the symbiote first bonds with Peter Parker and is affected by the irradiated spider venom in his blood. He gets a cool black costume that mysteriously repairs itself and boosts his strength; the symbiote gains all the spider abilities including a few Peter couldn't develop, and once it goes solo it also has the urge to make other people into its version of Spider-Man.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Teikanmi posted:

Wow that looks like rear end

Five months out, some effects are likely unfinished. The symbiote looks fine as is, though, it would be much more unbelievable if it looked like a suit rather than a creature wearing Eddie Brock for internal structure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ammanas posted:

A winning trio of opinions

The Tobey Spiderman movies do not hold up well. 2 skates by on the back of Oscar Molina's remarkable performance.

You could at least get Alfred Molina's name right.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

davidspackage posted:

And the Sandman's birth scene is oddly beautiful in the rest of the movie's floating turdiness.

I want a movie poster for The Remarkable Oscar Molina on my wall now.

Sandman is the only good thing about Spider-man 3. But then the villains in Spider-man movies have all been more interesting than the main character.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Really I just wonder if 2300 years ago there were people bitching about the newest Hercules play

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

Pretty sure basic math disproves this.

The other way round, maybe; if you don't like comic movies you probably won't like comics. But there's probably a lot of people who like Marvel movies and would like Marvel comics, they just haven't read any.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Never Goin' To Watch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

So, who's going to be the victim of sexual violence this time?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Almost Blue posted:

That Brian Wilson biopic from a couple years ago was pretty good. The only weird thing was that I can buy Paul Dano as Brian Wilson or John Cusack as Brian Wilson, but it's weird with both in the same movie.

See also the Bob Dylan biopic with six different actors. I got home from watching that and found out Heath Ledger was dead. :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Cameron was more art direction/set design right? Worked on Galaxy of Terror.

(Coincidentally that's also how Ridley Scott got started.)

Ridley Scott did commercials. He got The Duelists mainly on the strength of his famous advert for Hovis bread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I looked into the Halloween wiki (because of course there’s one) and apparently there’s 3 established timelines all diverging from Halloween 2? Then you have the remake timeline and this new one I guess is making itself the primary and also 5th timeline.

No, only two. Timeline 1 is 1, 2 and 4-6. Timeline 2 is 1, 2, H20 and Resurrection. The new movie jettisons 2 as well and Timeline 3 is officially the only timeline; Danielle Harris asked about a cameo and got shot down at once. Zombie's two movies are entirely their own thing and have nothing to do with Halloween proper.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Ghost of Goodnight Lane

With a misspelled name, no less. But a horror movie with Danielle Harris and Lacey Chabert? Where's my notepad?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

kiimo posted:

Bathroom fight scenes should be its own buzzfeed article.

Not until people stop forgetting The Warriors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgMvQiHuvqs

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

i mean if the only thing you've seen kyle chandler in is friday night lights isn't that more on u

I've apparently seen four movies with Kyle Chandler in, but I couldn't tell you who he is in that trailer. I don't even recognise the name.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Style over substance, or, you know, filmmaking.

It's possible to have both.

Alita looks like unwatchable poo poo and the effects better hadn't be finished because right now they look worse than the intro to Witcher 3. It's going to be a pretty solid way to figure out which of your acquaintances you should drop like a hot rock, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Timby posted:

Don't forget that Star Citizen, potentially the biggest scam in the history of gaming, got people like Gary Oldman, Mark Strong and Anderson.

Star Citizen wouldn't be the biggest scam in the history of gaming if they hadn't spent some of the money convincing people that one day there'd be a finished product. When you've got eight figures out of people, dropping $50k on getting some name actors for a week is nothing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Still waiting on the Rush Hour 4 trailer.

It boggles me that the Rush Hour trilogy came out across a span of nine years and in that time Chris Tucker didn't make any other movies. It was his sole body of work from 1998 to 2012, when he appeared in Silver Linings Playbook.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dillbag posted:

There is a TON of face replace going on in features right now and Disney & ILM are getting very, very good at it.

I honestly don't know, dude's got a few steps left in him even at 90.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIiI05uNgnI

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

There's some really bizarre thinking going on in here. Just because a movie is a period piece or an action movie doesn't mean it's not beholden to the cultural sensitivities of the times in which it's made. If it were a 60s period piece and the protagonist was throwing around racial slurs you wouldn't say "uh its set in the 60s idiot that was normal back then".

No, you don't need to throw racial slurs around just because people used them casually in the time when your movie is set. You can, if you want, remake The Dambusters and change the name of the dog. But by the same token, you don't say "well the military-industrial complex is poo poo in 2018 therefore it has to be poo poo in this movie about the D-Day landings".

Jedit fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 20, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Slutitution posted:

LOL why didn't they just cancel this bullshit

Because it was going to be the final season anyway and pre-production was already underway. Basically you're saying "lol why didn't they just make 200 people lose their jobs instead of 1?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's kind of weird to think that Harley Quinn could potentially become a more bankable character for them than, say, Superman.

It's kind of weird to think that a scantily dressed young woman could potentially become a more bankable character than an indestructible boy scout?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shageletic posted:

The One is a seriously under-rated movie, and Jet Li's best film other than his scenes in the fourth Lethal Weapon.

Jet Li's best film is Unleashed by a thousand miles.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Appropos of nothing, the firstRocky Balboa trailer might just be one of the best trailers I've ever seen. I've watched it dozens of times of the past couple of years. Visuals, rhythm, sound design... it's just so goddamn satisfying and emotional.

Then again, I've never actually seen the movie, so maybe the trailer was actually terrible, since I feel like I'm satisfied by the end of it.

Rocky Balboa is a seriously good movie and I'd go so far as to say Stallone deserved to win Best Actor for it. Just don't get confused and start thinking it's a movie about boxing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Cameo posted:

“Yo Adrian, we did it.” :unsmith:

I was working in the Boston Common AMC the winter Balboa came out. People would stand during the Rocky/Dixon fight like it was a goddamn real boxing match. Like, the entire theater. More than once. It was surreal.

Well, once a few people have stood up everyone else has to stand up or they won't be able to see.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ghostwritingduck posted:

Captain Marvel looks fun but a whole trailer without a clear villain character raises concerns for me.

The whole point of the Skrulls is that they're shapeshifters who infiltrate societies as the first stage of their conquest programme. The first half of this is spelled out explicitly at the start of the trailer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shneak posted:

Let's just say there's a reason why I still haven't seen the newest Ant-Man movie yet.

Because you hate fun?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Is it just me, or is the music at the end a bombastic rework of the theme song from the Godzilla cartoon?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

caligulamprey posted:

Was the only reason they rebooted Hellboy instead of letting Del Toro do #3 was that the studio was all WE WANT HELLBOY IN 2.35 and Del Toro was all I WILL DIE BEFORE I SHOOT SCOPE, because it's literally the only reason I can imagine this existing.

I recall hearing that del Toro only wanted to work with Ron Perlman in the role, so when Perlman said he wasn't going to do Hellboy 3 del Toro was out as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Mike Mignola apparently can't stand GDT and really dislikes his take on the material. That, combined with the middling financial returns on the first two, pretty much sank the potential of a third, despite GDT and Perlman both pushing for it pretty hard.

The trailer for the new movie is bad. Hellboy mixing up with some Olde English magic poo poo is pretty on point as far as the flavor goes, but Harbour sounds terrible, the makeup looks like they got it second hand from that late 80's Beauty and the Beast, and the tone for that trailer was absolutely garbage.

Which was also Ron Perlman.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

kiimo posted:

I can qualify it by saying the scariest part of horror movies for me is the fear of the unknown. I have no idea why these people are being stalked by themselves or what motivations the entity portraying themselves might have but the fact that it IS themselves is inherently less scary because of it.

I loved Get Out and will watch this. I'm just saying that the premise looks less scary because how scared should one be about themselves? Maybe they'll work out why that is MORE scary? Because it knows what you're thinking or whatever? I could get behind that but on first watch Bad Me is not topping any of my Most Terrifying lists.

I for one would be pretty shitted up if I saw an absolute duplicate of myself, especially if it was successfully pretending to be me. It's also been the premise of numerous well regarded horror movies including but not limited to The Stepford Wives, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Possession.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Power of Pecota posted:

The new ghostbusters should mix it up have Dan Aykroyd sucking Slimer off

I have, I joke not, seen Slimer used as a gay pride icon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Some weirdos say they love Crank but hate Crank 2. Don’t trust them, about this or any other matter.

Crank was suitably OTT, but Crank 2 was just gratuitous a lot of the time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Well, gently caress watching that movie. Not because of the content; because they're saying del Toro thought it all up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PST posted:

It's there in the teaser, and in the tweet. What are you talking about?

It's an adaptation of a book of campfire stories that is remembered solely for someone else's art. Advertising it with "From the imagination of Guillermo del Toro" is misleading to say the least.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

clown shoes posted:

The full trailer is out now but a word of warning: there is a major spoiler, a deviation from the source material. I personally think the change is good but I wish the trailer hadn't spoiled it.

Don't worry, the official poster spoils it as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hollismason posted:

It's because of rights issues that theyr even able to make a reboot. They had to change the story because of that

Oh Christ, it's The Haunting 2019 isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Retardog posted:

Cause he’d rather be watching the original Aladdin

You need a character in your movie that the audience can relate to.