Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
BlacKkKlansman trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFc6I0rgmgY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
That Brian Wilson biopic from a couple years ago was pretty good. The only weird thing was that I can buy Paul Dano as Brian Wilson or John Cusack as Brian Wilson, but it's weird with both in the same movie.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I thought he wasn't even in Avengers 3?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Pooh & Tigger's voices sound normal but the other characters sound weird. Also, who is this movie's intended audience?

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 26, 2018

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The excuse was cute, too: the world simply needed him and his movies to fight. Meanwhile Jimmy Stewart is like a gunner on a B-52 and Rod Serling is a paratrooper. Proud history of chickenhawk conservatives in the US.

John Ford gave Wayne poo poo about that for the rest of his life. There was a movie they did together where each member of the cast had their rank listed next to their name & Wayne was the only one with nothing.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Halloween might have the most hosed continuity of any movie series. Like, if you watch them all it doesn't make sense.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Wheat Loaf posted:

(He won for A Beautiful Mind, which also won Best Picture and Best Director for Ron Howard, and is today best-known for being one of the movies that shouldn't have beaten what it was up against.)

Holy poo poo, just looked it up & Ron Howard won Best Director for A Beautiful Mind going up against David Lynch and Robert Altman

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Uh, here's the trailer for The Other Side of the Wind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMWHBUTHmf0

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 29, 2018

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Yikes, that looks like early blu-rays where they added a ton of DNR.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

morestuff posted:

It's kind of surprising this doesn't happen more often, only other example I can think of are all the Bruce Li/Bruce Ly/Bruce Le movies

There's also The Man With Bogart's face and a movie called John Travolto: The Face with Two Left Feet.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
You think the guy who made A Horrible Way to Die would've been the better choice?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Well, Scorsese has a pretty spotless track record.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
When do we get to hear that monkey talk with Danny Trejo's voice?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Here's a collection of some really bad ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL2x2OQI_64

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

caligulamprey posted:

I don't think the end result will be very good, but I do appreciate the hard left turn The Banana Splits movie has taken.

This looks like an adult swim sketch. I'm surprised this is an actual real movie that got made.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Wasn't that movie supposed to come out like 3 years ago? What happened?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

GrandpaPants posted:

I legit don't even remember Seth McFarlane in that movie. What I did remember is James Corden dragging it down by just being James Corden, Also Hillary Swank apparently being in a completely different movie?

James Corden was in Logan Lucky?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

BioThermo posted:

So would I. It's just that I think The Departed was a great movie, and I think that Children of Men was the best movie of the modern era, and since they came out the same year, it was thoroughly ignored during the awards season by everyone eager to circlejerk around Scorsese. Karmic justice would have The Irishman failing to be the critical darling that Roma was.

Didn't that just happen with Silence? Also, why would anybody care about awards or whatever?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Robot Style posted:

Well, THX-1138 already had Robert Duvall getting jacked off by a machine before settling in for an evening of watching The Police Brutality Channel, so it was already pretty horny and violent.

This is one of the changes in the re-release that always confused me because it radically altered the meaning of the scene. In the original he jacks himself off, but in the special edition a robot does it. I guess the latter matches the themes of the film better, even it modifies how THX sees sexuality as an escape from his life. But also, now he finds that escape exclusively through another person. So maybe it's good? I've never been able to make my mind up about it.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Has anybody else seen the Licorice Pizza trailer yet? They showed it at a screening at my local theater today.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Marcia Lucas would be considered one of the greatest editors of all time even she had only worked on the Scorsese movies she did, but the whole "Marcia Lucas reworked all of Star Wars which was a total disaster" doesn't actually hold up under much scrutiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

BonoMan posted:

I mean she didn't rework 100% of it. But every history of it I've heard (granted a lot of it is oral history) all jive with it was a mess and she fixed lots of the very important parts. What refutes that? (Not attacking, I'm just curious)

I was basing my judgement on it of Paul Hirsch's memoir, the Blockbuster podcast.

Marcia has her own autobiography which I'm going to pick up.

Some more info here:

https://j-nelson.net/2019/12/how-marcia-lucas-and-smart-editing-saved-star-wars/

Which takes a creative writing approach to analyzing this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEHRNS-Scrs

Of course now-a-days everyone changes their retelling of that first screening with Spielberg and DePalma (and I feel like someone else was there but can't remember), but I think it was very clear that it needed a lot of work and I'm not just talking about the missing VFX.

Well, the problem with the video and article is with what it leaves out. Since Star Wars is what it is, we have a lot of information about the various cuts of the film and various drafts.

The original original cut of the movie that wasn't working was by John Jympson (not mentioned in the video or article), who was fired halfway through filming.

George Lucas himself then took over editing himself during the shoot, and after it wrapped he hired Marcia Lucas and Richard Chew. Paul Hirsch came on later after he finished Carrie. The first cut was shown to Alan Ladd, who was relieved to see it <i>wasn't</i> a disaster after having seen part of the initial editor's cut. After this cut in November of 1976, Marcia Lucas left the film. She went to go cut Scorsese's New York, New York while the other two editors stayed on.

Per J. W. Rinzler's making of book (where a lot of what I'm saying comes from), the cut that was shown to Spielberg, Coppola, De Palma, et al was the second or third cut, after all the scenes with Luke's friends and the bit with Jabba had already been removed – both of which Marcia Lucas fought to preserve, as it removed so much of the character's backstories. Similarly, the Death Star stuff at the end didn't change much from the cut that was shown then and the theatrical release. Those sequences were the first to be put together, because ILM needed to know exactly how long the shots should be. Paul Hirsch claims in his book that he was the one who decided to alter the structure of the trench run.

The same "disastrous" cut was then shown to Fox's studio executives who were all over the moon for it, and one of them broke down crying and told Lucas it was the greatest movie he'd ever seen. Then the theatrical was shown to other board members, some of whom fell asleep and others absolutely hated it. But none of this information helps that narrative about how bad the "first" cut was.

A lot of the making of for Star Wars is really fascinating though, because it seemed to come together from pure happenstance. Lucas never intended to use Anthony Daniels's voice and I think Richard Chew mentions his distaste for it on the DVD's making of. But one of the actors who auditioned for it told them to just use Daniels. This is the kind of stuff that happens with every movie though. There was a recent De Palma interview where he was asked about Star Wars, and he said that Lucas suggested the scene at the beginning of Mission Impossible where they explain what the mission is and who the characters are because nobody would know or care what's going on otherwise. It's the kind of thing you'd think you'd catch if you're directing your 20th movie, but sometimes if everybody who's close to a project misses the obvious solution.

Also, the dude who made that video gets incredibly basic facts about the movie wrong somehow. Like, he says Luke and Obi-Wan decide to go rescue Leia after seeing her message, instead of something they decide to do after getting captured by the Death Star. Or that there's no shots where characters say on-screen that the Death Star is trying to blow up the Rebel base.

And Marcia released an autobiography? I'd be interested in what she says.