Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have hated every Blumhouse film so far,
Get Out, but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Jedit posted:

They're a film company, and this is why people like them.

Everybody is really big fans of A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III and Tusk

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Krankenstyle posted:

I'm sure I saw a muppets-as-homicide-detectives short film like 10+ years ago, maybe on ifilm or something?

That trailer is real bad.

Are you perhaps remembering Puppet Rapist?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Hey, I can be in the discussion!

Take all of this with a grain of salt because I've never seen any other Godzilla movie, they aren't really in my wheelhouse.

I'd always been really interested in Edwards' Godzilla, ever since the HALO jump teaser, which I thought was stunning. Had a few chances to see it, but my wife and I would always opt for something else.
Later, I was left reeling by the first trailer I saw for Kong: Skull Island (which, I believe, was actually cut by Vogt-Roberts himself) which just looked like a ton of fun. Also never got around to seeing it.
Then, I thought the first King of the Monsters trailer was also gorgeous, specifically the Mothra wing spread moment and the music gave me chills.

But, I never saw any of them until a few weeks ago, when I had a few days to myself and I finally gave Kong a watch, which got me hyped to go back and watch Godzilla, and then I watch KotM the next morning.

I'm the weirdo who really liked Godzilla. I don't know if this is some "9/11 broke my brain forever" thing, but I love a movie that can convincingly create the helpless feeling of devastating violence happening around you, while you're powerless to influence it in any real way. I liked Cloverfield for the same reason (though I only saw it when it was new and don't know if it holds up at all), and it had a similarly impactful first teaser. I love all the moments of "our normal lives are suddenly put into this chaotic violence in our back yard" like the helicopters/tsunami in Hawaii, the powerless planes silently falling from the sky, etc. It really effectively has moments of held breath right before the violent release, and it was on a grand scale. I've seen complaints that the story of the humans was ultimately meaningless (though Taylor-Johnson does torch the MUTO eggs and prevent the nuking of SF, which I think is a good compromise of "hero KIND of saves the day") and that the major beats of the movie would have happened just the same without them. To me, though, that's actually a point FOR the movie. There's nothing we can do in the face of a subterranean god. Showing the events through those ground-level eyes contextualizes things for the audience in a way I find irresistible.

I do think Aaron Taylor-Johnson was essentially a blank void of a performance, especially when paired with one of the most charismatic and engaging living actors, but what are you gonna do?

Kong, on the other hand, brought a ton of fun, talented, and charismatic actors in, stuck them in archetypal roles, and had a ton of fun with it while also somehow remaining relatively grounded. It was fun without being a cartoon, and while it definitely had structural problems and bordered on silliness at times, I think it still managed to tell a human story through a "big monster" lens.

Liking those two had me really hyped to see King of the Monsters, which is why I couldn't wait and watched it the next morning.

King of the Monsters is a real fuckin' piece of poo poo. Everything I liked about Godzilla 2014 was thrown out the window. Our bland, white lead was replaced with... *drumroll* Kyle Chandler, halfway through his chrysalis into puffy Russell Crowe statue made out of wet paper. The terror of human technology being worthless in the face of elder gods is out the window, replaced by a globetrotting SHIELD jet plane, full of other future jet planes and space drones and submarines and whatever the gently caress else the overstuffed plot demands. It turns out we can not only defeat, but control these gods, because we made a suitcase that goes FWEEEEEEEEE. It rapidly devolves into a series of chases for MacGuffins, each less memorable than the last. Godzilla may have had some moments of gallows humor mixed into the dread, but KotM is stuffed to the gills with Thomas Middleditch Thomas Middleditching around and Bradley Whitford absolutely poisoning every scene with a performance that he claims, I poo poo you not, was inspired by Rick and Morty.

Rather than view a huge event through a relatable lens, we're stuck watching a family squabble writ large with a global bodycount in the millions. I loathe when stories feel the need to Star Wars it up and make all the key players in a global conflict family members or old friends or the like. When Vera Farmiga hails the science war mothership to deliver her apocalyptic terrorist manifesto, there's an opportunity for some real poo poo. But it's all undercut by all the characters turning to Chandler and saying "yo that's your WIFE bro" and "bro i hope Kyle Chandler is ok, that's his FAMILY" and Kyle Chandler being like "i'm sad because my kid died, and my wife is also sad that my kid died, and we have processed this grief into wanting to destroy the monsters and destroy the world with the monsters respectively"

There's a moment in the finale where Chandler and Farmiga reunite and try to locate their daughter who did the most heroic act in the franchise (she got a giant monster to destroy Fenway Park), and they can't think of where she might be. "Where could she be!?!?" they think, surrounded by piles of flaming rubble that could very easily conceal a dead 12-year-old, "She was Just Right Here staring down the most fearsome monster in the universe!!! Where could she be?!?!"

And then they look at each other and simultaneously realize "....home!" and immediately drive off to their house to find her there. But I don't think it's ever established that they're from Boston in any way (other than the lead being a mediocre white man in a position of undeserved importance). In fact, the beginning of the movie shows them devastated in the rubble of San Francisco, having lost their son. What the gently caress is this beat.

Anyway, KotM is a cartoon, and a wild tonal whiplash from the awe and reverence of 2014 Godzilla, and watching them on consecutive days is a strong NOT RECOMMEND.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
According to https://cloverfield.fandom.com/wiki/1-18-08 , it was attached to Transformers, which probably led to the "i acquit" crowd swearing it would be a Voltron movie

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Cacator posted:

Matrix Reloaded earns my goodwill for the freeway chase alone. I think it still holds up.

the freeway chase goodwill is canceled out by the merovingian cake/code vagina badwill

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I once rode a rollercoaster. I found it tightly plotted and very well-paced, but my experience was completely soured by the untermenschen around me with their whooping and hollering

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i love that 2049 just runs with the retro-future where the soviet union still exists

I love that you run with the retro-future where somebody else didn't say this very thing like three posts before you

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
HEY GUYS

REMEMBER... GOZER??? AND TERROR DOGS?? AND MARSHMALLOW MAN???

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Always was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYEdgr9GoO4

Note that they took great pains to recreate the set all the way down to the crappy neon sign and the red phone on the desk

gat drat, a red phone???? i hope they're paying their "great pains taker" enough

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Really unenthused to see so many reused bits from the original Matrix after clicking through to watch a half-dozen times. The "cops approaching Trinity sitting facing a wall" shot, the "trinity running in the corner of the wall to avoid gunfire" shot, the "morpheus getting hecka pummeled by agent ghostfists" shot, the "shells raining from helicopter" shot, and so on

Lastdancer posted:

Whennnn... theeeee...

MOON hits your eye like a big PIZZA PIE, that's...

EMMERICH!!

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1433439092914724869?s=20

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but did anyone in here watch The Wandering Earth? That movie was pretty wild

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Ehhhhh

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

CeeJee posted:

It says 'Apple Films Ltd' at some point.

At first I was unsure this was some sort of deepfake creation, sign of the times I guess.

It has been heavily hosed with digitally to reduce noise, damage, and other poo poo, leaving a lot of the shots in the trailer with a very smudgy and artificial feel

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Hot drat we have a winner

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I think the fundamental problem is a deep disconnect in what people think Ghostbusters should be. Unfortunately, the loudest segment of fandom is manchildren who all grew up, as I did, not realizing that Ghostbusters was a comedy. When I was a kid, it was just this kickass spooky action movie that occasionally had funny moments, and my siblings and friends and I would always play Ghostbusters. In our minds, the cool props were toyetic to the extreme, the ECTO-1 was never a punchline but always a cool ride, and we all convinced ourselves that what we wanted were more stories in that universe (an itch that was largely scratched by The Real Ghostbusters)

Anyone that DIDN'T have that experience remembers it primarily as a whip-smart, extremely of-its-time, politically questionable movie that largely caught lightning in a bottle comedically via the specific alchemy of combining Bill Murray's sardonic comedy with Dan Aykroyd's pulpy weirdness and Harold Ramis' bone-dry eccentricity. Recapturing that tone is likely a nigh-impossible task.

So, when somebody tried to combine successful comedians and update the style to the times, it wasn't great, but it was admirable from a certain perspective. But the opposite perspective saw it as absolute heresy and lost their GD minds online (which is what they're best at). This movie seems aimed squarely at that demographic, trying to recapture the feeling of being a kid and thinking proton packs were the absolute poo poo and wouldn't it be rad to have a mobile proton station on ECTO-1 and ooh what if Gozer came back and there were little Stay Pufts and and and...

I don't think it's possible to make a new GB movie that would satisfy a majority of whatever audience exists for it. I'll be happy to eat my words if this proves me wrong, but everything I've seen makes it seem like it really, really won't.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

This looks cool and fun and good and if you do not agree then you are not cool and fun and good:

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1450431544905064451

This was inventive and slick and fun! Not entirely sold on the style of the line reads, but if they're consistent then it's a choice and I'm ok with it. I hope the full series has stylistic flourishes like this, but hopefully not 100% of the time, as I was getting a little fatigued by the end of this.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not sold on the show, because I just can't stand anime (sorry) and that's the source material, but that is one really fun trailer. Very well done. The fact that I'm considering watching it at all is a huge achievement by them.

Thank you for apologizing to me.

Also, I don't remember feeling like Spike's age was at all material to the story, but maybe my memory is fuzzy as I, myself, am an Old

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScM9lqsuRgc

Kind of a new teaser for Morbius. New trailer tomorrow. Mostly Jared Leto begging you to remember this movie is still a thing.

The gently caress is with the hyper-dramatic Fur Elise

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

username/forum/thread/post combo

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I don't know why I haven't seen anyone else excited to see Ke Huy Quan in that trailer. His voice still sounds the same!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Vincent posted:

Yeah, looks like a fun adventure movie/rom-com. Wished the trailer didn't spoil the Brad Pitt cameo.

Yeah, looks pretty clear that it's just a cameo. He busts Bullock and Tatum out of where she's initially being held, and then is mysteriously absent through all the other hijinks the two of them are up to. I imagine he shows up for this scene, is hyper-competent and attractive, and then gets killed really quickly/amusingly, leaving the others to bumble through the rest of the movie.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Hell yeah

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

I like how every time there's a new horror movie I can just be like "I wonder who Naomi Watts plays in this one"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I eagerly await Who Dat Ninja? and Honky Grandma Be Trippin'