Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

RIP old thread, OP should have mentioned that this subject has an inexplicable ability to make goons fight with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Someone needs to take all those scenes and drop them into the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo teaser with the Immigrant Song cue.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Welp one of our embargoed Deadpool 2 TV spots leaked (read: released erroneously thanks to some jackass in Singapore office) with footage from our next trailer so we may just release the trailer today rather than the 19th. If we do I'll share.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There is no Predator trailer yet. There's just a mishmash of a ton of potentials, all with graphics so rough you'll think you're playing Tron.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Relax in your plush seats, capitalist pigs. Meanwhile we will bide our time on sacks of bolts and butter our popcorn with elbow grease.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You could at least wait for my bad post...

You might not have gone the proletariat route and that was a risk I was unwilling to take.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I like my seats to be so cush I end up making GBS threads my pants.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I make my girlfriend stand in the living room when forcing her to watch important movies from my childhood.

Nobody is falling asleep during Better Off Dead I guarantee it. Not even during the claymation sequence.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean, I get the nostalgia and camaraderie of the movie-going experience of yesteryear but you can't blame them for trying to re-create your living room experience when people are increasingly preferring their living room to waiting in line and sitting on gum.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Byzantine posted:

In 2001 it was still up in the air whether raptors had feathers, so the male raptors in 3 just had some quills.

The dinosaur movie you deserve

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20bpjtCbCz0

kiimo fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 19, 2018

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm glad the shot of Peter is resonating because I have been laughing at that shot for weeks.

That's Rob Delaney from Disaster btw, a show you should watch.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bahaha yes Catastrophe.

I had a rough morning.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What makes the drafthouse is Lone Star Beer.

It makes everything in Austin.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Those beers suck though.

Lone Star is bottom tier sure but I can drink 14 of them on an Austin bender.

Shiner Bock is gross to me and Blue Moon with the loving oranges is just so not Texas to me. When I'm in Texas give me Lone Star and give me dozens of them.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Everyone knows it's supermechagodzilla anyway

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I suppose people who like Constance Wu, so count me in.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You should probably know Jenny Slate by name at this point.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If you think that is impressive, wait until you see our "from the director of Iron Man 3" card for Predator!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It also doesn't trigger a billing block, making life a little easier.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

:geno:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Geno is neither bad nor good. I haven't seen it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Needs more of my homie Dave Dastmalchian.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ha agreed. I've known Dave since we were 14.

edit: a funny story, when Dave was on the set at the beginning of the first Ant Man shoot, Paul Rudd thought he was really Russian. Then Dave dropped the accent and was like no, man, I grew up five minutes from you.

He talks about it in this which is a really great listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG-LE6TCLD0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2m3KF26fOE

kiimo fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 1, 2018

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

People aren't reliable to tell an accurate story they all agree on five minutes after an event.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Especially since the best one is called Men in Tights

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

viral spiral posted:

where the hell is The Predator trailer man

Thursday

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

cvnvcnv posted:

Pixels was a cute family film with some good laughs in it.

Idk what Kiimo said but he was probably right.

I said it was a "legit funny and good movie" i think. I was watching the dailies. Never trust the dailies. Peter Dinklage in particular was cracking me up I think.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The MSJ posted:

What other already-announced movies are you handling the trailers for, kiimo?

When you say handling I hope you don't think I'm cutting these myself because I'm not an SVP yet. I internationalize and cut down trailers and TV spots for international markets to localize mostly and handle poo poo like music licensing and testing and secondary things. In other words I'm not responsible if you hate them. Unless you hate a :20 TV spot you see in europe/asia/australia, in which case I'm sorry and I'll probably blame the localization people.

I'm working on several films but the only ones you'd be interested in are Predator, Deadpool, Alita and New Mutants (don't hold your breath on that last one).

I was worried about Alita for a while but holy poo poo that is looking insane these days, at least SFX-wise. I feel similar to when I was watching the magic start to happen with War For The Planet Of The Apes.

AlexF posted:

Yeah, kiimo? Tell us! Are you working on Hotel Artemis because my boss really hates the trailer and we are desperately waiting for an international 90 second cutdown while being in the midst of a legal battle with Lionsgate over the length of the film itself (yup, that's a thing!). Please say yes!

Yes!

j/k nope that's Lionsgate soooo

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

^^^^not soon. I'm testing some clips with focus groups and they are stunning.

I don't know where else to put this.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/comcast/comcast-bid-fox-walt-disney-sky-murdoch-20180508.html

Comcast apparently trying to buy Fox instead of Disney now.

This ride is just getting started.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I like the timeline where I keep my job and also separate from Fox News.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't think they're interested in fixing it, I think they're interested in a breach of contract giving them a better deal.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I am not surprised by this morning's posts in this thread, non-specifically.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I know what part the kid plays in the story. But I dunno.

I think I’m gonna open up the ol Premiere and risk a good old fashion copyright stike, C/D here. But it’s Predator and it means the world to me.

I didn’t have any issue with the footage...but something is kind off to me. Sorry Kiimo.

I mean I tried to warn you. You can only do so much when you have so little material to work with.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I haven't seen anything.

That's like the problem though. I probably shouldn't say more especially since I don't know what's really happening in the room inside the room.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SFX-heavy productions always seem to have issues getting something together in time for a decent teaser. It's a constant mess. Sometimes everything comes together like Logan, sometimes everything continues to spiral out of control until the movie comes out like Green Lantern and you're left with Ryan Reynolds and the Ectoplasm of Mountain Dew Rings

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FoneBone posted:

Does your end of things have any say in which effects shots get prioritized for trailers, or do you just have to work with whatever the studio gives you?

Yeah when a teaser is getting close and everyone agrees to go with it (filmmakers are involved in these meetings so they know what to expect) then you go through all the shots and make a list and send it to editorial for them to finish. Whether they actually get around to it or not depends on the production. Some directors / editors understand how important it is. Some others consider themselves auteurs above all that marketing nonsense and will get around to your shots when the film's shots they are working on are done, if ever.

These people are affectionately known in the industry as "soon to be out of work morons".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dillbag posted:

Not to discount what you're saying here because this obviously does happen a lot, but sometimes it's a bit more complicated than that in the editing room.

When a show in getting down to the wire and there are concerns with the edit there's almost certainly a budget crunch happening because of reshoot overages or editorial extensions, etc.. Sometimes the creatives have an issue with greenlighting an expensive VFX shot for a trailer that they think might end up getting cut out of the film, then losing the money for a shot they really want but may not be budgeted. In those cases poo poo is usually spiralling out of control very quickly and it's just a cacophony of piss all over the place.

Sometimes it all works out and you get a Fury Road or a Logan. But unfortunately the majority of the time you get a 47 Ronin.

And sometimes your name is Gore and you decide well this production isn't enough work for me I'm also going to cut all the Trailers and TV spots and color and mix them myself. What's that you have a bunch of :20 TV spots for Korea? Send them my way.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The MSJ posted:

I'm guessing that Deadpool movies have their own people making the posters and trailers, separate from the other Fox stuff?

Nope.

I mean, you do have the contributions of Ryan Reynolds though, which is significant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's honestly a joke to pretend Queen was still Queen after Freddie. Come on.

I'm reminded about how they did a documentary about Genesis and sometime-guitarist Steve Hackett was pissed that he didn't get editorial control and that it didn't include all the times he extensively talked about his solo work.

Nobody cares, Steve.