Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

Trailer for The Continental Hotel Artemis. Looks pretty great to me, regardless of the inevitable John Wick comparisons.

Honestly, I think we're all better off having John Wick clones over all the Taken clones we were getting for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

So the new Jurassic World trailer is out. It looks embarrassing.

That's what this movie is about? Um, alright, I guess.

Like, I honestly don't know what to think. I'll see it in the theater, I love giant dinosaurs stomping around wrecking poo poo. But the giant sea dinosaur seems like it should probably be it's own movie. Kind of a bigger deal than the other dinosaurs, in a "Welp, I guess we as a species are done using boats" kind of way.

In fact, isn't that basically The Meg?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Eezee posted:

Not having assigned seating in every Cinema basically makes you a third world country. If I can't snag the best seats long before the movie and then arrive at the last minute I wouldn't go see any movies.

Very few theaters here in Orlando have assigned seating, and the ones that do are a haul to get to from where I'm at. As a result, yes, I barely every go to the theater.

If I could spend, say, $30 and see a movie at my house on day one, I 100% would.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

clown shoes posted:

They should have cut TJ Miller out of that movie.

And replaced him with Christopher Plummer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

I'm glad the shot of Peter is resonating because I have been laughing at that shot for weeks.

That's Rob Delaney from Disaster btw, a show you should watch.

That's one of the best gags I've seen in a trailer...maybe ever. From the setup of seeing them on the plane, to the end where we see Peter, and the trailer says, "Yup, mother fucker's here, too."

It's perfect.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Lone Star is the absolute bottom tier of Texas beer, try a Shiner or Blue Moon

You consider Blue Moon a "Texas beer"? It started in Colorado and is owned by MillerCoors, so that's a weird position to take.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

clown shoes posted:

Is Gangster Squad a sequel to Monster Squad?

Nah, it's a prequel to Suicide Squad.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Notorious ZSB posted:

At least they provided an obvious setup for how he'll fight another symBYEote. Dialogue seems awful, and ill probably never see whatever actress he says is awful at hiding as anything other than Sappersteins daughter from Parks and Rec. MONEY PWEEESSSEEE

She's also now the voice of Nanny in the new Muppet Babies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jedit posted:

Sandman is the only good thing about Spider-man 3. But then the villains in Spider-man movies have all been more interesting than the main character.

The same can usually be said about Batman movies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LesterGroans posted:

He's up there with Chris Evans, Ryan Reynolds and Idris Elba.

Jonah Hex. Thanos. Cable. Young Kay. What's his name in Sin City 2. I'm pretty sure Brolin beats them all.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gravy Jones posted:

Captain America, Johnny Storm, Lucas Lee, Snowpiercer guy and The Losers guy. Call it a tie. Chris Evans is also in an animated TMNT, but if you're including voice roles I think plenty of people have both of them beat.

poo poo, I keep forgetting Snowpiercer was based on a graphic novel.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Desperado Bones posted:

Good morning thread (if you live in the same part of the world as I do)

https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/992018849225695242

The marketing for this movie is knocking it out of the park.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Kassad posted:

Robin Hood: Bruce Wayne meets Legolas.

And is that city supposed to be Nottingham? It's way too sunny and the buildings look Italian.

Overrun with Antifa protests.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Anne Frank Funk posted:

This is somehow the first time I heard that actors have voice doubles for live action stuff.

Right? I was about to ask, "...Jodie Foster's voice actress? She's a real person, why does she need a voice actress?"

Also, 87 minutes sure is a short movie. But I agree that most movies are too long now, so I'll take a nice, short, focused action movie (or one with 7 minutes it doesn't need, I guess).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Kassad posted:

It's for the dubbed European versions. A lot of countries like France, Spain, Italy and Germany don't really do subtitles (these days you can find subtitled films in cinemas but not everywhere). All the famous English-speaking actors you can think of? Most of us have never heard their actual voice. Also sometimes you recognise the voice actors' voice in commercials or video games.

Ohhhh, that makes a lot more sense. I thought you meant in case Foster wasn't available for ADR or something.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bullet3 posted:

I've never heard of Sterling Brown, Thomas Jane is in DTV movies all the time, Keegan Key known mostly for tv comedy, aside from Keanu I haven't seen anything with him theatrically, Halbrook is another tv guy for the most part, he was ok as the villain in Logan but that's about the only notable release.

This isn't a statement of quality, most have done great work, but you're insane if you think any of these guys qualify as blockbuster A-listers.

Sterling K. Brown is blowing up right now. He's a regular on This Is Us, was in Black Panther, and is the lead in the upcoming Hotel Artemis (which has come up a few times in this very thread). It's getting to a point where, if you don't know who he is, that's on you.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

drat, this looks great.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ending the Freddie movie at Live Aid seems like a really lovely idea. Is it just going to end with, "And Queen was just such an awesome band that everyone loved! (Oh, also, Freddie got AIDS and died.)"?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 15, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

It's a decent trailer, in that it has my interest. I hope it's weird. It should be weird. But that could just be how they cut the trailer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only good biopic is Walk Hard.

It's weird, when googling for some good biopics, there are movies that, I guess, are technically biopics, but I don't seem them as ones. Like Goodfellas. And Wolf of Wall Street. And Schindler's List, I guess? So I'm not sure what the difference is in what I consider a biopic and what I don't.

I know here we're just talking about musician biopics. But still.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

A biopic by nature tries to cover a huge swath of much ground, generally jumping between multiple eras of a person's life to try to capture a person's entire life story in around 2 hours. These are separate from movies based on true events with characters who are based on real people, which generally focus on one set of events to tell one story. Either can be 90%+ fictional, or hew relatively close to true events.

But a biopic is literally a biographical picture, one that tries to encapsulate a figure in their entirety. Occasionally biopics can be good. It's rare, but it happens. Like The Avaiator. But usually they're utterly forgettable because you might as well read a Wikipedia page.

So Lincoln wouldn't be considered a biopic (which covers a small period of time, mainly about him trying to do this one thing), but Goodfellas would (which basically covers the life of Henry Hill up to joining Witness Protection)?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

That feels accurate to me, yeah. But maybe that's just my definition :shrug:

Oh it makes sense, it's just a bit nebulous in my head. Just kind of thinking out loud, I guess.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I continue to be impressed by how much this series recovered after one bad entry (MI:2). They keep getting better and better. It's at the point where I think I like these movies more than the current state of James Bond movies.

I also think Tom Cruise wants to kill himself, and is hoping to catch it on camera.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

flashy_mcflash posted:

MI2 loving owns, nerds. You got a classic John Woo dove scene with Tom Cruise and you're still whining?

It's been a while, but I remember there being so many mask reveals it became ridiculous, and the flying off the motorcycles to fight each other seeming dumb. I also thought Dougary Scott made for a rather uninteresting villain. Mostly, I just thought it was boring, which never should have happened with a John Woo Mission Impossible movie. I know Woo loves his slow mo, but I remember MI:2 really overdoing it.

I didn't think "MI:2 was bad" was an unpopular opinion. Rotten Tomatoes (I know, but it's all we have for popular opinion) backs me up on this.

(I also really want to see "Mission Impossible Versus the Mob".)

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 16, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

GrandpaPants posted:

Why is Keanu acting like John Wick in that? He even has the Wick beard.

Because he's filming John Wick 3, and was probably prepping for it when he filmed this. (This is about the beard.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Unironic :same:

I don't know what it is about that shot, but it's my favorite moment in both trailers. He looks brutal.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hedenius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ciIqbR_SVM

Rutger Hauer, Michael Madsen, Christopher Lambert, Geraldine Chaplin, Franco Nero and William Baldwin! Now there's a who's who of "who can with get with a little bit of name recognition for very little money?". I'm going to guess that they all appear for like one scene each too.

"After the Da Vinci Code..."

*closes tab*

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSbzyEJ8X9E

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Whatever this was, it's gone now.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LesterGroans posted:

She sent an email, or a couple emails, to that were like "what's the status on the Dragon Tattoo movies? I'd love to do more" and they came out during the Sony hack.

How dare she.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vagabundo posted:

Has this been posted yet?

Drew Goddard has directed another film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQmOaJciI7Q

Joshua Athridge
Just now ·
I don't entirely understand everything that's going on in this trailer, but I'm on board for whatever it is.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

In his heart he really wants to do comedy. He auditioned for the Jack Donaghy role on 30 Rock, but the network wanted someone more famous. (Tina Fey said she wishes she could have given him the part.) So I think he's probably not listening to his agent, and is really trying to make the comedy thing work.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

God drat, that looks great. And nice way to play off the whole "brother" thing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Deakul posted:

So, is this a sequel to the original Halloween or is it just pretending that Resurrection didn't happen?(can't blame them)

Sequel to the original. Ignoring all other movies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The MSJ posted:

You will believe that Tim Burton made a live action version of this Disney animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QPdRfqTnt4

Well at least it's by Tim Burton, a consistently good director. His most recent movie I liked was surely not that long ago.

*checks notes*

Holy poo poo, Big Fish in 2003?!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1006801178167037953

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaG1KZqrLvM

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Captain_Person posted:

Wellington Paranormal, the TV spinoff to What We Do In The Shadows, has a trailer and comes out next week!

https://youtu.be/Z-q5tmZu4yU

No idea still if it's going to be shown internationally, sorry.

Well, do what you can. Please.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The MSJ posted:

I'd be crazy if I'm not excited for Mission Impossible Fallout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLiZeg6zU4M

It's hilarious that a movie featuring the lead actor doing a HALO jump and a crazy helicopter stunt is heavily focusing on a bathroom fight scene in their marketing...and that they're not wrong to do so, because the scene looks amazing.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Friend posted:

I've only ever heard of Teen Titans in the context of a children's cartoon, and then another cartoon that my nephew said was even more childish. So, I guess what my question is, who is the target audience for this neck-snapping bloodfest?

People who were young when the first cartoon was out, got mad that the new cartoon was more childish, and are slightly older now and want a dark action-y edgy show.