Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

DLC Inc posted:

A bit of a change from the string of darkly humorous films he's made in Dogtooth/Lobster/Sacred Deer since this is more a period piece and one he did not write, but I'll still show up for anything he directs.

I really didn't like Dogtooth or The Lobster, but this looks intriguing, especially if Lanthimos didn't write it. Looks like a bonkers Barry Lyndon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I also want to see that Cruise Ship meets Lord of the Flies crossover about class structure that Ruben Östlund was mulling about some while back

Never heard of this but I'm a massive Östlund fan and holy poo poo that sounds amazing.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
So it's basically Saving Private Ryan but in WWI?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
The fact that Uncut Gems is an A24 picture makes me interested, but that trailer and everything in it looks completely uninteresting.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
I have a bad feeling about this... it looks like Scorsese fanfiction. I'm guessing it's going to be perfectly boring and average with a bunch of mediocre performances from incredible actors.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

I read that this was going to be more of a reinterpretation of Force Majeure, but most of the shots in this look like straight remakes of those in FM. FM was one of my favourite movies of the last few years, and yeah, this looks lovely.

I had to laugh when I saw that the character played by Kristofer Hivju in the original is played by Zach Woods here, and then Kristofer Hivju went and popped up at the end of the trailer!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

...that's every medieval fantasy setting ever written, though.

I also have to kind of laugh at that Twitter takedown of Mulan, since most of the historical inaccuracies she points out aren't even as bad as what you'd find in your average movie set in medieval Europe.

In fact, it seems that the people behind Mulan actually went out of their way to make it more accurate than the average historical epic, probably to avoid criticism of lazy cultural appropriation.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

She points out that it's not a "takedown" or meant as actual criticism, but meant solely for educational purposes, and I found it fascinating as I didn't know most of what she was talking about, so I don't see it as a problem.

I don't see it as a problem, and takedown was too harsh a word. All I meant was that such a thorough analysis of historicity was enlightening when compared to other depictions of the European distant past.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
I know that the WoT series has a devoted fanbase that insists that the story has a lot of depth and colour but holy poo poo that looks so cheap and generic. It basically reads like a blander LotR with a female Gandalf and goat orcs.

It's gonna have a lot of heavy lifting to do to draw in mass audiences. At least GoT had the intrigue and tiddies going for it.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Agreed, it looks dope

lol book nerd spotted.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
TERFism is particularly complicated because in the UK in particular, which is ground zero for it, TERFs are largely feminists who were once on the cutting edge of progressivism but whose views have since fossilized and who have now found their former compatriots criticizing them. They view this battle as literally an extension of their civil rights battles of the past, because they fundamentally view the movement for trans rights as a Trojan horse ideology that has been constructed to subvert or even reverse the progress achieved by feminists.

So basically a) they were the victors of the feminist struggles of yesteryear who still think of their positions with the same degree of self righteousness, and b) they’ve found themselves criticized not by their opponents on the right, but by their erstwhile allies on the left. This combines to produce a particularly strident, persistent, and loud form of bigotry.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

i think its more of a solidified identity in the UK in like the public conscious or whatever but that doesn't mean those beliefs are more significant or prominent in the UK than the US.

TERFism is more prominent in UK media, in that you will regularly see TERFs and their views discussed as legitimate even in “progressive” publications like the Guardian. I rarely see American news sites or journalist outlets posting the kinds of “just asking questions” pieces you see in the UK.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

I mean the Atlantic has run multiple "just asking questions" type of trans panic cover stories in the past few years that are now being used by right wing movements in the US to shape anti trans legislation, particularly targeted at trans youth.

The situation isn't any better here, it's just more stratified but the overall result is the same.

I'm not saying the US is better on trans issues; I definitely think it isn't. But TERFism is promulgated within the UK media sphere on much greater level than in the US. Just look at this recent article published by the BBC, entitled "'We're being pressured into sex by some trans women'."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-57853385

I haven't seen anything comparably vitriolic from a comparable "centrist" US media source. This also gets at another difference: in the US, popular transphobic stories focus predominantly on sports teams and bathrooms, but in the UK you also get the whole bizarre "the trans agenda is the first wave of a lesbian genocide" schtick and related angles as well.

The question was why TERF mouthpieces, who are predominantly UK based, are so loud and persistent in their messaging, and the answer is at least in part that they've been given access to some pretty sizable soapboxes in the UK media that span the ideological spectrum in a way that they haven't in the US.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

I've been reading about Dahomey recently and yikes, this is a perfect encapsulation of a completely misplaced lib attempt at glorifying history.

For those who don't know, Dahomey was the west African state most active in procuring slaves for the transatlantic trade in the 18th-19th c. Obviously African communities that engaged in slave procurement were not nearly as complicit as the European slave traders who produced the demand for slaves, but the Dahomean elites were exceptionally vicious in their subjugation of various neighboring communities and the mass enslavement of other communities for their own benefit. The female warriors of Dahomey were their shock troops, and they were basically brutalized until they were willing to commit atrocities without hesitation. They did fight in wars against the French, but their main role for most of Dahomey's history was to mercilessly raid, terrorize, and enslave neighboring communities.

So not exactly a good example of historical "girl bosses." Or maybe it inadvertently is....

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 8, 2022

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Basically this is the Girl Boss equivalent of 300.

I wonder if they'll open with a similar montage displaying the harshness of societal customs, only it's various parts of this festival:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual_Customs_of_Dahomey

quote:

Since Dahomey was a significant military power involved in the slave trade, slaves and human sacrifice became crucial aspects of the ceremony. Captives from war and criminals were killed for the deceased kings of Dahomey. During the ceremony, around 500 prisoners would be sacrificed. As many as 4,000 were reported killed In one of these ceremonies in 1727. Most of the victims were sacrificed through decapitation, a tradition widely used by Dahomean kings

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 8, 2022

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Darren Aronofsky is the James Cameron of fat suit technology.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

this film is surreal. it feels like every second shot is something out of rogue one, and i'm pretty sure they just cgi'd over some footage from that beirut explosion a while back. it looks really good but it also feels weird. "chatgpt, make me a trailer for a sci-fi action film about the dangers of AI in the style of gareth edwards, rogue one, gritty, robots, space station, near future"

edit:

: O

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

Oh boy, it's going to be a massive downer of a film isn't it?

I’d never heard of the Osage murders until I listened to a long podcast about it recently. Even for the 1920s US it’s pretty shocking in its depravity, even if the broad strokes are depressingly familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Lol the CIA didn’t kill Bob Marley, Jesus Christ. A) There’s no such thing as an injection that magically causes cancer in a person in their 30s in a short period, and B) he killed himself by refusing basic treatment for an easily treatable kind of skin cancer for almost a year after it was diagnosed.