Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No. An actual giant/colossal squid is nowhere near that size. While they can grow up to ~50ft. they actually have a pretty low volume with tentacles about as thick as your arm. What you see in the trailer is a total fantasy creature.

If you really want to crush a submersible then you need a giant OCTOPUS. Much stronger. Geez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm sure most of you are already sold on the movie, but this new Incredibles II trailer is not working for me. It looks like a bad family sitcom, the Mr. Mom stuff feels pretty regressive, there are already too many callbacks and references to the first film, and it feels like it's targeted to parents and kids in a very "family movie" kind of way that the first film deftly avoided despite the setup.

That midcentury house looks gorgeous, though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Trailer for The Continental Hotel Artemis. Looks pretty great to me, regardless of the inevitable John Wick comparisons.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So the new Jurassic World trailer is out. It looks embarrassing.

Like, I get it. A lot of people are going to dig this. It's The Fast and the Furious-ing of Jurassic Park. Those are very fun dumb movies that people dig. But to me it just feels like a total franchise-tone mismatch, even if JW did throw the whole thing down the toilet to begin with. But I was hoping a new director in the mix would help to course correct a bit. But instead they just went bigger, sillier, and dumber.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The MSJ posted:

I love going to a theater with a beanie two-seater because then I can lie down while watching movies.

Content:
Andrew Niccol of Gattaca and In Time is back at it with another retro-futurist noir dystopia. A detective investigate murders in a world where privacy does not exist anymore and all information about everyone is public.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnc17atwaII

I dig that that this is hitting the "so grey it's basically black and white" thing hard. It's cool and ambitious. But I think Niccol forgot that black and white movies of the era he's trying to evoke are gorgeous because of their use of light and shadow, not lack of color.

But yeah, I'll watch that. Niccol has had some stumbles but overall is still rad. This is exactly the arena I want him to be playing in. Same goes for Clive Owen.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 19, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Clipperton posted:

Is "revisionist edits" supposed to be a shot at Soderbergh or what

I'd think it's a shot at George Lucas, feeling the need to update the effects in THX and Star Wars to make it palatable to a modern audience.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Crazy Rich Asians trailer.

I find the lauding of extreme wealth here pretty disgusting, and I hear the book handles it very poorly.

I'd support a law where every movie with characters this wealthy should be forced to tack on a Schindler's List moment where the characters break down realizing how many people are dying every day due to extreme poverty that they could save just by selling their collection of Lamborghinis.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Huh. Looks a bit goofy, but better than I was assuming.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"It's not an S. On my world it means stuff that comes from a snake's teeth."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, carnage means killing a lot of people. Cletus is a serial killer. I don't think it'll be that awkward.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kiimo posted:

It also doesn't trigger a billing block, making life a little easier.

Can you say something positive about Predator to keep my hope alive plz

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

:smith:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well I give a poo poo about Robin Hood. As long as you make him a breezy, swashbuckling adventurer with an Eroll Flynn smile amd stay the gently caress away from darkness.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

There are some good episodes of Our Fake History about this, I recommend them.

Easily one of the best history podcasts.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It got pretty mediocre reviews out of the festivals. Might still catch it, Rudd is always charming.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They just need to bring Goldblum back for an afternoon and film a 3 minute scene of him goofing around, geez.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Honestly, this looks like such insufferable bollocks. Hey look at these two idiots make bad choice after bad choice, SO PROFOUND. So gently caress off.

Uh, I don't think it's supposed to come off as profound? This just looks like a fun, light Superbad-meets-Broad-City to me :confused:

But if in the actual movie "The city's gonna come down on you" and "The city's gonna cum on us?" isn't directly followed up by "No, the city's going to go down on us" then it'll be a huge missed opportunity.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hahaha yessss. So in.

Wish we got a little more sense of the humor, but I like what I'm seeing. Also, if Shane Black has moved on from Christmas to Halloween as his holiday of choice that will make me a very happy boy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:shrug: maybe I'm just blind to it just because I want more Predator goodness so badly

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hahah this is such a great trailer concept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FuDnAbDbrY

Well done, Neon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sure, okay, but there's still gonna be tits in it right

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Probably because he's great

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Who the gently caress that goes to Cannes wouldn't know what to expect from one of his movies by now?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, even if they changed the ending it's still a Brian Singer film that was nerfed from the get-go by the band's meddling. This thing feels unsalvageable from the core.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

So I'm not sure what the difference is in what I consider a biopic and what I don't.

A biopic by nature tries to cover a huge swath of much ground, generally jumping between multiple eras of a person's life to try to capture a person's entire life story in around 2 hours. These are separate from movies based on true events with characters who are based on real people, which generally focus on one set of events to tell one story. Either can be 90%+ fictional, or hew relatively close to true events.

But a biopic is literally a biographical picture, one that tries to encapsulate a figure in their entirety. Occasionally biopics can be good. It's rare, but it happens. Like The Avaiator. But usually they're utterly forgettable because you might as well read a Wikipedia page.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 15, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

So Lincoln wouldn't be considered a biopic (which covers a small period of time, mainly about him trying to do this one thing), but Goodfellas would (which basically covers the life of Henry Hill up to joining Witness Protection)?

That feels accurate to me, yeah. But maybe that's just my definition :shrug:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

morestuff posted:

They're all pretty great but the government needs to stop hiring Ethan back if he's just going to go rogue in every movie. Just have him set up an independent spy consulting agency or something

I mean, I like the setup that the new trailer shows: if Ethan goes rogue, the CIA man will try to kill him.

Which, as implied by other parts of the trailer, 100% happens. At this point, I assume it's just an hilarious meta joke.

e: oh snap, Thandie Newton was in M:I2?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 16, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A reasonable argument could be made for any of the M:I movies being the best depending on taste (outside of 2, of course). That's why it's such a remarkable series.

I'm partial to 3 myself.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lobok posted:

M:I3 has Hoffman, who is obviously very good, but it doesn't have a lot that wows me. The team is boring and gets jettisoned before the ending and the big, supposedly impressive stunt shot of Hunt being blown into a car by a missile's explosion shockwave has never looked right. M:I2 is dumb but it's so much more fun.

M:I3 is actually my favorite. Best villain of the franchise, most emotionally resonant story with Michelle Monaghan's character and Ethan not being allowed to have a life, the best written dialogue of the franchise, putting tension and suspense over pure action, some great Cruise acting/running moments, my favorite setpiece with the Vatican break-in which feels like clockwork, and say what you want about the JJ mystery box but the whole rabbit's foot McGuffin worked like gangbusters for me. I mean, come on. The Anti-God? Dope.

The only thing I didn't like was the "love will start a heart" cliche at the end and giving Maggie Q nothing to do.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Happytime Murders looks dreadful. Nothing there is working at all.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah if the movie was two hours of him priming those punches I'd be happy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't think he's the villian, per se. I think based on the new trailer he's been set to hunt (:v:) down Ethan if he goes rogue. And as Ethan is wont to do, he goes rogue. But I bet by the end they team up against the real villain and become besties :3:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If we're all lucky, Cavill will join the IMF team and Ethan will take an administrative role.

If we're REALLY lucky, the IMF will go independent once and for all.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Good. Between that and the Robert Pattinson movie, I'm breathing a sigh of relief about the state of Westerns in 2018.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ew.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That trailer just looks like it's jerking Elvis and Elvis fans off. It's like the music equivalent to those fan documentaries about Back to the Future or whatever that are just people talking about how great the subject matter is with no angle or insight or point of view on the history of the subject.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
e: wrong thread!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I am fully bought in on this Mission Impossible: Fallout insanity.

https://youtu.be/2BnOebsDtAQ

I hope we get a much longer featurette on this on Blu.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i have a weird feeling it's less that they couldn't afford her, and more that asking about the future of the franchise made her persona non grata

Apparently they never even approached Mara, who wanted to do more films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My theater did not suppress their laughter.