Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to understand why Brian Henson couldn't get funding for it for, like, 25 years.
The thing about the Happy Time Murders that had people excited about it was the concept art that looked stark, atmospheric, and downright pretty. I think people had it in their head that we were going to get a legitimately good looking noir that was only a comedy by the nature of its own absurdity but otherwise played with a straight face, kind of like Riverdale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

I mean if they’re just gonna make a goofy “lookit the puppets doin’ wacky violent adult poo poo” movie, why not just film Avenue Q? It’s all that plus a very nice message of “life could turn to poo poo at any moment and not everyone finds what they’re meant to do so suck it up”
Avenue Q needs a bit of polishing if it ever gets polished up into a film. It's a very early 2000s play in terms of how it deals with homosexuality and racism. Not to mention Gary Coleman being dead.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The MSJ posted:

That World War 2 movie that was rumored to be part of the Cloverfield series but apparently not anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hiH2gNNQ8A
Rad Captain America prequel.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BioThermo posted:

Looks like Jonah Hill wrote a toned-down version of Kids, starring B O Y.
It reminds me more of Sean Baker and Linklater's more grungy stuff.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Originally it was in the ballpark of Who Framed Roger Rabbit but with puppets instead of toons but then it got caught in development hell for years and years and its tone got changed to ... that.
Honestly, I think what I actually wanted the Happytime Murders to be is basically Riverdale in the sense that it's a comedy without jokes. Riverdale never tries to be funny because a mobster lamenting that Jughead is constantly getting in his way is inherently funny.

A stark and completely straight beautifully shot noir about puppets is hilarious in its own right. Where the film hosed up was thinking that it needed silly string cum.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 31, 2018

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I showed this to my wife asking her if she wanted to see the trailer for the movie that's going to win best picture. Holy poo poo.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Cancel all other films:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiJjMggOUu8

The wiki page says a couple of times that Mel Gibson was the art director :confused:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Strike_(2018_film)
Maybe Mel's responsible for the impeccable CG.
Wait did we travel into the alternate universe where it's called the Second Great War?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Guess who's back? Back again. Mary's back. Tell a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3jsfXDZLIY
I like with Miranda that they've kept alive the tradition of lovely British accents.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The voodoo stuff at the beginning is just the chant and a lightening strike. It's not like you see Charles's soul transport itself into the doll. The first act or so of the film is definitely told in a way that's intended to make you question if it's Andy or Chucky doing the murders. You could imagine another film where the beginning is a red herring.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Counterpoint: I watched it as a holiday special on ABC, and it was fine. It was just insane to put up as a short.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Or the most adorable scenario that Danny Trejo just made cute monkey sounds.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm not totally sold with Johnson, I like most of his work, but he's definitely been inconsistent. But man it's bizarre how people are coming up with nonsense criticisms of his work being toothless.

Like Looper is a movie I really didn't connect with, but it still shows off Johnson's skill at creating some pretty harrowing scenes that really pull from the desperation of his characters.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

I remember Lupin vaguely from Adult Swim, IIRC it was one of the least anime-trope-filled animes.
If you haven't seen Castle of Cagliostro, get on it.

It's Miyazaki's first feature film and has some amazing action.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The best thing about this by far is that there's no way Tom Hooper gives a poo poo what fans think and there's no chance of changing any of this.
Not that he's a great singer, but I actually really, really like Russel Crowe in his Les Mis. I love his handle of the character as this rigid square who seems so uncomfortable in his own skin. His version of Stars isn't technically as great as some of the theatrical versions, but it really resonated with me.

I think Hopper made good choices, but with Les Mis people just didn't engage with those choices.

But Cats sucks. So, I think this is weirdly probably going to be a worse movie than Les Mis but somehow gain Hooper more credit.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Skip this overserious adaptation of a funny movie and watch the director's latest film, Parasite. It's the bee's knees.
Orphan Black was a pretty ridiculous show full of very blunt metaphors and while Snowpiercer was funny, its humor was rooted in just being earnest in its insanity as well as being willing to humiliate its main character.

The show has different characters and Jennifer Connelly's character, in particular, has a very different vantage point from our PoV characters in the film. There's no reason to dismiss it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Retrowave Joe posted:

IIRC the first Zombieland movie was roughly the first few episodes of the show they wanted to do in the first place.
It's not even roughly. If you check the clock at the 44 minute mark of Zombieland there is this really clear ending of the first episode. They just took a pilot and added on some other stuff.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
For reference, Brewer's also directing a Coming to America sequel due out next year. So, I guess he's spearheading a Murphy-issance.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Nightingale is supposed to be very loving raw and hard to watch.
It's a very long movie with about three particular scenes that are really brutal. I'll spoil them for anyone who is looking for their triggers One scene depicts a gang rape along with the murder of a man and the on-screen murder of an infant, there is another rape later in the film, and there is a pretty gnarly murder of one of the movie's villains. There is also an off screen moment that is still pretty brutal slaves having their heads carved off.

What I will preemptively say is two things.

The violence is incredibly humane and intentionally in first person. Not in terms of the camera being in PoV, but there are actually violent moments we don't see that are tied to what scene's lead character is focused on or willing to look at. It's brutal, but the film was made with sexual violence counselors and a lot of input from the Aborigines.

Secondly, it's not a horror movie and it's not a western and it's not a revenge film. There are horror movie tropes for sure and there's the obvious retort that the timeframe is in itself a horror movie which is fair... But it's really not trying to terrify with its violence or even the moments where it drips into almost ghost story like language. It is trying to get you to understand and empathize.

Most of the movie is really about understanding its characters and understand a brutal moment in our world's history. It's a lot of characters just spending time with each other. It refuses to paint anyone as perfect paragons and even finds humanity in its villains. I think the ending is also really interesting and worth unpacking.

It's a shame that people have been so reactionary to the violence and so quick to label it as a genre picture. It's the best movie of the year so far, and probably is going to be the best movie release all year.

EDIT: Not trying to disparage genre films... it's just that it doesn't really do service to what this movie actually is.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 21, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

married but discreet posted:

How the gently caress is this not a spaghetti western.
I mean, I think the title is a play on The Virginian. So, I think they're probably looking a bit older for their Western influences.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

f#a# posted:

I mean if you're not willing to give Vince Gilligan the benefit of the doubt, I don't know what to tell you. Better Call Saul is even better than Breaking Bad in the first place.
Agreed, but it's so close to being called El Camino: A Breaking Bad Story that it doesn't help.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Executive stands up at table, "Ladies and gentlemen... for our Christmas movie to launch Disney+ what if we remade The Santa Clause... but also Elf?!"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

Wait.
There was a Pete's Dragon live action remake? What the hell happened that I don't remember it at all?
They actually showed some restraint in how they sold it. They didn't try to oversell it as a big blockbuster.

It's okay!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They've constantly been making attempts to re-monetize their back catalogue of beloved animated films and they've been trying to perfect their formula of creating live action remakes since at least the mid 90s, it's bizarre that they're still so bad at promoting them.
It's worth remembering--because it's been a bit forgotten--how much Disney used to rely on re-releases of their film. Like I think that Song of the South has been retroactively mythologized as a movie that was basically locked up for the last seventy years, but they were still showing that poo poo in theaters in 1986.

When home video became a thing, that's when the concept of the Disney Vault came around and they began relying on making their video releases into a big deal.

Now they're dealing with the over-abundance of media and the reaction is to basically just remake the movies because if it's new then it can stand out. The weird thing is that when you look at the big-deal-video release era of capitalizing on past properties, they showed so much more patience. Snow White wasn't released until 1994, and they had pretty good marketing around it, that made it feel like something special..

Like I don't necessarily mind The Beauty and the Beast remake... but the first film was an Oscar Nominated movie. A remake should be a big loving deal. When you're doing a remake like Aladdin that has some of the best songs in any original film musical, those musical numbers can't be boring. They really just ran through these films at an insane pace when they probably could have taken their time and made some movies that feel worthy of their predecessors.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I thought the reason why nobody commented is that it's a really bad trailer, even if it's just a teaser.
I like it. It's a good evocative little short film of a trailer.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

The script is out there on the internet for anyone who wants to read, and it is indeed Crayon Scorsese. Also you just won't believe who the bad guy is!!!!! it's women.
Can you elaborate on this? I've seen leaked summaries that didn't really allude to this, but I did raise an eyebrow to how the film (I'm only spoiling this because of the spoiler in the quoted block)shows two black ladies as the stand-ins for the people putting the Joker down.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Wow with those Joker spoilers.

morestuff posted:

I'm already tired of Gary Oldman's performance after a two-minute trailer but I'll show up for a Soderbergh/Burns thing
Yeah I'm down for a spiritual sequel to The Informant!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the irony is that despite the indie veneer, in terms of actual substance, the Nolan films are probably going to still come off as more thoughtful and nuanced.

I think the most telling thing about the film is that the 1981 setting is probably meant to align with the Hinkley shooting... but like, I can't imagine that actually meaning anything besides superficial parallels.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

It's weird that "Young adult horror stories from the 90's rebooted as a movie where the stories are real and trying to kill kids" is a movie genre now. Goosebumps (which was actually entertaining), Scary Stories (which sucked except for the monster designs), and now Are You Afraid of the Dark, which looks like it's aimed toward the same age group as the show but not the adults who have the nostalgia for it. Which might be for the best.
I think the thing with Are You Afraid of the Dark? was that the wrap-arounds were kind of aspirational in of themselves. Kids love telling scary stories, and the Midnight Society offered this sort of platonic ideal for telling scary stories--going out in the woods in the middle of the night with your friends and being able to articulate that scary notion in your head perfectly. The show didn't just offer scary stories but the implicit suggestion: This is a thing you can do with your friends (Even if it would never be as cool as on the show). Making the storytellers actually experience the horror takes away from something even if there is almost definitely an end twist that it's all taking place within the girl's original story.

Too bad Dr. Vink died this year.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
There is a Tales from the Hood 3 in the works.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ego-bot posted:

That did nothing for me but if it helps propel Dewey Crow onto the big screen, I'll take it.
2019 really was the Crow-issance between this, Once Upon a Time, and the The Nightingale.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The trailer starts with Kat McKinnon's character just straight up saying that part of working at Fox News is demonizing minorities. Like maybe the film will suck, but the trailer literally tells you right off the bat that everyone there is ethically compromised.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

i seee that this subject has been covered......but i still feel that i have to point out that bales line at the end is clearly intended to be ironic and the movie spends a lot of time showing you that he cares about nothing but power.
Yeah, the line is intentionally made to feel completely alien in the context of everything you just watched. It's not about Cheney's spin or point of view. It's him talking about poo poo that is ultimately irrelevant.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

there werent any at all in 2018
Castle Rock my dude.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like people are confusing premise and motifs with plot. Ratatouille, Cars, A Bugs Life, Toy Story, and Wall-E all have very different plots.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Alhazred posted:

There's a lot of Pixar movies where the plot is that someone have to make a journey and meet a quirky companion.
I think you're speaking to what I'm saying...

Meeting a quirky companion isn't a plot. A lot of Pixar movies involve pairs/buddies (Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc, etc) and a lot of Pixar movies involve the inner-lives of things that don't have inner lives (Toys, ants, cars, robots).

But the story of a father learning to move on from an intense trauma, the story of someone who is successful choosing to give up ease and success in the name of what's right, an outsider being accepted for his talents in a field where he is seen as undesirable, a young boy reclaiming his family's heritage, a father learning that his family provides him a whole new type of strength if he's willing to let himself feel vulnerable, a city slicker superstar learning to appreciate the simple things in lives, a robot rediscovering humanity, and a remake of The Seven Samurai are all really different plots even if there are superficial similarities between them.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Boxman posted:

That arrangement is super weird and melodramatic for the opening number, but I assume it won’t stick around. I’m also sort of disappointed they’re going with a framing story (presumably) to “explain” all the singing and dancing. Just lean into it, musicals, you’re not going to lose your audience.

None of it matters though because it’s a wonderful show, I’ll see it without question, and I’m happy for it to get more play.
Honestly... I wonder if the frame device is more about future proofing. The Washington Heights being presented is in a lot of ways an anarchoonism. Might as well already present it as a bit of a fairy tale. I do like how much of the neighborhood they're actually using like the 191st Street subway tunnel.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

gently caress that tired poo poo and check this out

https://twitter.com/FANGORIA/status/1234878662186586113?s=20
How does this film star 1978 George Carlin?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really do love the audacity of having the "You ever die the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain" because obviously it sounds like this pretty meaningless line alluding to Harvey Dent's fate.

But it ya know, reveals the whole ending and thesis of the film, and is more about Batman than it is Harvey.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

. When did he stop caring.
2012. He did Looper and Moonrise Kingdom which were both released that year where he actually acts and does a good job. But he hasn't been a real actor since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Scream looks alright and it's updated for now. Who knows - could be as good as H'18.

Home Alone though... why? Just leave it. The original is basic as hell and just works - there's nothing deeper. Stop trying to reinvent it.

At least they kept the family being rich as loving hell I guess?
The problem is that there is such an obvious premise for a Home Alone reboot.

Kevin McCallister is a wealthy and wildly successful businessman now in his mid-40s, but has become estranged from his family, especially after the death of his father. He's also divorced and a bit of an aloof dad. He takes his kid to visit his mom in their big house so they can have a family Christmas with his own kid, but he gets called for a business meeting and tries to fly back to New York City and then back to Chicago in time for Christmas Eve. Of course while his kid is alone with grandma, a big blizzard hits. Some thieves take advantage and try to rob the house. The blizzard makes calling 911 impossible, and the rolls are reversed as you get Catherine O'Hara planting trips to outsmart some hapless thieves with the help of her spunky grandchild.

Kevin cries when he visits Duncan's Toy Store and calls Buzz for a heart to heart. The end sequence mirrors the ending of Home Alone almost exactly just swapping Macaulay Culkin and Catherine O'Hara's positions. Then it turns out that Buzz called the whole family and they all show up.

The point is just give me a movie where Catherine O'Hara has to outsmart a bunch of hapless bandits.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 13, 2021