Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s not a great sign for a film (‘I Hate Kids’), when the trailer for it spells one of the lead actors’ name wrong in big letters, right? Titus Burgess instead of Tituss Burgess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GrandpaPants posted:

Far From Home looks alright, but part of what made Homecoming great was that it wasn't some epic save the world plot, just a kid trying to stop a criminal. And it was a Marvel movie with an actual decent villain, so that was a plus.

I thought the reveal in Homecoming was excellent too, totally sideswiped me without feeling convoluted.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Power of Pecota posted:

Brendan Fraser Piss

Please use spoiler tags when talking about what's in the briefcase from Pulp Fiction.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Proteus Jones posted:

gently caress YES

Also, was a bald Mark Dacascos I saw there? If so, good to see him doing non direct-to-video action movies again.

I hope so! He always looked to be on the verge of breaking out but then disappeared. I know Brotherhood of the Wolf got him some attention, but I thought Drive was really good and wanted more stuff like that but with a bigger budget.

I want a Mark Dacascos and Scott Adkins double team film.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't wait for Lords of Chaos, mainly because everyone I know absolutely hates its existence. It's going to be terrible I'm sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Some weirdos say they love Crank but hate Crank 2. Don’t trust them, about this or any other matter.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ruddiger posted:

Didn't they do something like this in Hot Tub Time Machine?

Lou stayed in the past and used his knowledge of Google existing to somehow beat them to the post (which doesn't make any actual sense, but hey). This promptly sets up the sequel that was utter garbage.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah yeah I forgot about that. The first film was super fun, and also spotted the ‘least noticeable differences ever!’ unrated cut possible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Clap posted:

Have you seen Brawl in Cell Block 99? Craig S Zhaler has a very specific aesthetic - it's hard to explain

I can explain it - it's very lovely, and he's a bad filmmaker with terrible views.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

^^ This. He doesn't have to go on a Twitter rant or anything like that, he promotes his views through his film making. If Block 99 wasn't a complete and utter slog to get through I might overlook it and just roll my eyes, but no. I know people love that film though, so I'll put it down to different tastes and gladly not watch anything else he makes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really want to hear the reason why this color grading job is actually fantastic because of what it represents, rather than being just lovely.

e: something the lab wrote

quote:

"First off, be warned this is a very violent movie but, violence with a story telling purpose. It had a very small theatrical run in the US so I highly suggest picking it up on Blu Ray to watch it" states LookLabs' Jeff August. "The other reason I love this movie is its very unique color palette, check out some of the frame grabs below and you will see a very unique Blue-Green combination look. This feel was what LookLabs was after when creating the SpeedLooks Matrix package. If you want to achieve this look you simply need to apply SpeedLooks Matrix Blue. It will get you 90% there, to finish it out, I suggest playing with the LUTs strength by adjusting its transparency to dial in just the right amount. Have fun with it - you'll be amazed how easily you can achieve this deadly look."

I like how it's called the Matrix package. Ah yes, just like how The Matrix got a hideous green tint applied to it for home release that everyone hated, this too follows in those footsteps. And they even admit it's just a case of applying the preset and you're essentially done. I'm sure a real ton of care was spent with that last 10% (that never happened).

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 22, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Once you hit a certain age, you should be forced into a Cocoon sequel and retired.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how he felt there wasn't enough footage to cut the trailer from, so used deleted scenes from ANH.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, that's great. Especially as that stills composition is complete center orientated and doesn't follow the rule of thirds anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ruddiger posted:

Superman Hyperion origin story produced by James Gunn? Hell yeah.

I want balls-to-the-wall, Super mindsetted James Gunn making this rather than the reigned-in to keep Marvel happy, even though it didn't in the end, James Gunn.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah yeah, I see produced now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

davidspackage posted:

Nice to see Mark Dacascos again too

Drive (1997) is on Amazon Prime, and anyone who likes 90s action movies really needs to make sure they see it. "How is this not a big, well known film?" - people who have seen Drive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

If you can hunt down the R2 DVD release, see that one too. Better soundtrack, more fights, and the repair of a ton of plot holes. Drive is in my top five action movies ever.

Ah crazy I had no idea there were multiple versions. Typically the R2 DVD is the one I originally had, but it is long gone. If I knew it wouldn’t ever get a better release, or would be a pain to track down fullstop, I probably would’ve made sure to hang onto it. Doh.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

LesterGroans posted:

I'll watch it just to see Robert DeNiro playing a late night host.

I dig the irony of casting someone who simply cannot read from cue cards.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The MSJ posted:

You saw I Saw The Devil.

I really need to find someone to rewatch that with. Totally threw me with the pacing the first time, so good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I can’t bag on anyone for hating on Miles Teller, who I like, because I have a similar dislike of Emile Hirsch for no discernible reason.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kumail was front row for the Batista match at wrestlemania tonight with 2 giant Batista heads and a T-shirt too. Good representin’. (Bad match).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I never thought a few second gif loop could perfectly demonstrate what is wrong with modern Simpsons, but yeah. There’s so many things you can point to, it’s so utterly soulless.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyOvQfgQhKQ

Didn't see this posted, apologies if I missed it. I'm really digging the look of it, there really aren't enough comedy films in a year (and often the ones that exist aren't anything exciting, cookie cutter things from people who aren't actually funny etc) so definitely perks my interest. D'Arcy Carden, Neil Casey, and Beck Bennett are alone to sell me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kiimo posted:

It was posted but deserves to be again

D'oh, I literally went one page further back than I originally did and there it was. Glad to see others excited by it too, the YouTube comments are, of course, YouTube Commenty and full of dweebs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn’t think Good Time was anything to rave about, but it was fun though that I’ll be checking out Gems at some point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s amazing how often badly processed video still ends up being used in 2019 where this poo poo is so much easier than it used to be. From professionals too, not just kids on YouTube. The amount of times I see something on TV or in a documentary and it’s obvious that the field order is the wrong way around or something similar.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CelticPredator posted:

I enjoy how mean and violent Kingsman is. Also the action is super super slick.

The second one mostly sucks but the score is pretty good.

It's amazing how bad Kingsman 2 and Kick rear end 2 both were given the overall fun levels of the first films.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DC Murderverse posted:

i've seen the last 30 minutes of Kingsman 2 featuring Elton John kicking the poo poo out of people to Saturday Night's Alright (for Fighting) and that was fun and also all i need to see of that movie

Elton John is pretty much the only fun-ish part of the movie. Except you got to see it before the previous hour wore you down so I guess without context it could look like it’s part of a good film. Quit while you’re ahead.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Counterpoint: Sully was loving garbage despite Tom Hanks being decent as always in it. A complete loving waste of time. Maybe even more so than that stupid Paris train movie, but at least I wasn’t stupid enough to sit through that one.

Clint Eastwood movies are proof that just because something happens, doesn’t mean you need to make a film about it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cashing in on goose fun on that poster there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BonoMan posted:

Lord & Miller were a great choice I thought. Wish I could see what that would have been in an alternate universe.

I enjoyed the final product enough for a side film, but yeah I really wish we'd seen what L&M would've done with it. The idea you would hire guys like that then get pissy when they put their stamp on it says a lot to how the business end is run.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gravy Jones posted:

Richard Kind at Rudy Giuliani though, now that is some inspired casting.

I’ve gone from not even bothering to watch the trailer yet to being 100% all in. Richard Kind is just the best.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Reviews for it haven’t been great at all, a shame as his stuff always interests me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It might be my memory misfiring, but I'm pretty sure the workprint of Drive that went around had the Tron Legacy soundtrack as a placeholder, which was pretty cool.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Went to check that he was the one behind the episode with Rhys Darby and Kumail. You’re all good. Sounds like there’s another episode for me to watch too!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This man has taken my hatred of Excel to a whole new level.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Farm Frenzy posted:

Hahaha a quick google tells me that this experiment was considered to be a hideous failure by the psychologist, and also that this film was released to festivals in 2017 as a 'dark comedy'. I'm just sorta confused.

I always enjoyed how close to reality The Stanford Prison Experiment was, then it came out the whole thing was a sham so in turn it made the film completely inaccurate in hindsight. Filmmakers I'm sure were completely unaware of this (and it's still a super good watch).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Eh, enough people involved have essentially come forward over the years and admitted they were told how to act and nobody who ever repeated the experiment ever got the same results. Dude went in knowing what he wanted out of it and made sure it happened. It’s a cool story nonetheless, and it definitely feels like something that could happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, yeah we can definitely agree on that.