Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mierenneuker posted:

I love it when a trailer starts to derail after a minute. Truly love it.

Especially considering the art critic film it initially appears to be could be a thing in and of itself, it’s a genuine shifting of gears and not a shallow device for the trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

McSpanky posted:

It's been too long since we've had a real From Dusk Til Dawn-caliber halfway swerve into crazytown.

No joke, I somehow got it in my head that The Guest was a romantic drama. That was a fun experience.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

McSpanky posted:

They should look to other long-running franchises for inspiration:

John Wick
John Wick Chapter 2
John Wick III: The Search For Pups
The First John Wick
John Wick Part 5
Wick 6
John Wick Episode VII
John Wick Apocalypse
John Wick: Infinity War

John Wick: Apocawicks

I hate you for making me think this

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
He’s got just enough self awareness that he doesn’t take himself remotely seriously, so there’s a certain charm to it. I guess he’s like Channing Tatum with even less range?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Slutitution posted:

The Coens are going to make The Dude great again.

I’m told it was for a Stella commercial, which sounds about right. Kahlúa would’ve been more appropriate, but so it goes.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Statham was good supporting Melissa McCarthy in Spy, he’s not remarkable but it’s a decent movie overall and he’s in it, does that count?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Lobok posted:

He's very good in it but part of the humour of his scenes is from having watched him in his various roles over the years. His character in Spy is Self-Parody Jason Statham.

That’s a good read on it, definitely agree, as much as it’s fun to see his overly testosterone-fueled macho man routine self-parodied, it’s way better when it’s a guy who’s done it unironically for so long. Shades of Schwarzenegger in Last Action Hero I guess

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

DC Murderverse posted:

we really ought to have Jason Statham take up his rightful place as the modern Leslie Nielsen. he was able to sell everything in Spy so perfectly without breaking character one.

That’s actually not a bad idea, if nothing else the martial arts skill likely lends itself to pratfalls

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Ignoring the weird turn at the end of that post, people are enjoying hot Jafar.

https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/1094800706605850625?s=21

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Topher Grace needs a new hobby.

Better this than acting

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

GrandpaPants posted:

Can you really call Lion King live action?

If that counts, so does Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The MSJ posted:

Looks like hanging out with The Family thought these guys a thing or two. Namely about family and also NOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7PAyCDwEg

Black Superman? Holding up a bullet proof vest as some sort of shield? A loving haka? I’m there day one, no question

Ehud posted:

lol this looks so stupid

It’s Aubrey Plaza that confuses me, she’s so goddamn good when she’s playing a super weird character, but this seems basically a suburban mom role?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Gemini Man looks like it could be a fine generic sci-fi action movie, just, like, why NOT hire a second actor?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx3gaLQNwig
Kind of funny how this movie is still not out. It was originally being produced/distributed by The Weinstein Company but then 2017 happened and well...

I’m a huge Cumberbatch apologist, but if his American accent hasn’t been smoothed out by this point, we really need to give up on it.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

But more to the point, we've seen people like Dwayne Johnson, John Cena etc establish themselves as action movie stars but is there any other MMA/WWE personality that's successfully made the jump to drama like Bautista has?

Owen Hart?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
To quote, “Ah, but you have heard of me!” Not saying Treat Williams anywhere near the majesty of Christopher Lee, but building your career on a bajillion b-movies is a time honored tradition, and I’ve got respect for a guy who manages to become a known name for no identifiable reason; I very much throw Billy Zane into the same pile.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

kiimo posted:

Space Force: My God It's Full Of Stars

Could be worse!

Space Force: Where We’re Going, We Don’t Need Eyes to See

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

R. Guyovich posted:

this looks like some bootstraps mike rowe poo poo

It looks worse, at least Rowe pretended to glorify blue collar people, this seems to be fetishistic shaming of the poor.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I love this just from a pet-owner standpoint, because as much as my dog is my life, he’s also massively anxious around lots of people, so the answer is that I’m cautious and play to his needs in what environments I take him to. What I DON’T do is not only provoke the little fucker but destroy my workplace by taking him with me and creating constant pandemonium, no matter how much I like his company!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I choose whatever version of reality is most entertaining to me at a given moment. If it’s more fun to believe, then let’s do that!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Action Jacktion posted:

It works better in the play because the actors are supposed to be cats but they wear clothing and makeup to achieve that effect. In the movie they're just a bunch of weird nude bipedal cats.

I still want answers about the general scaling of everything. Setting aside that it seems to change from set to set, a bunch of those shots imply these are extra tiny cats, cockroach size? There’s no way they should be THAT tiny relative to everything else!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I know this is just playing off the Man from UNCLE cast but I literally can’t keep Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer straight in any roles they’ve ever been in.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

muscles like this! posted:

Looks like they're just condensing all the various owners to just Harrison Ford. Which kind of removes a lot of the drama of the story if he's just owned by a guy who likes him? Also with the feel good nature of the trailer I'm also guessing they removed the part where Buck violently kills the lead dog of his sled in a big fight.

I mean I agree, but I’ll also get some bourbon and watch grandpa Ford hang out with a dog for 2 hours and bawl shamelessly and enjoy every last second of it. It’s like bonding with my dad and my dog all at once!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I wanted Quiet Place 2 to go the way of the Tremors series, maybe give the monsters the ability to smell?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Vagabundo posted:

The description immediately tells you where you can watch it digitally, so I doubt it.

Also, here's the list of screenwriting awards it's got.

https://assassin33ad.com/awards/

Have a drink for every "film festival" or "film awards" you've never heard of.

I love the balancing act they have to maintain for Muslim terrorists to be in it. “Look, we’ve gotta knock Jesus down a peg, but he’s still gotta be a prophet, otherwise things are gonna get reeeeeally with Mohammad”

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yeah, before this whole thing got underway, I thought Keanu would be fine because he somehow still looks the same, but was a little worried if Alex Winter would still have it.

Now having seen the trailer, it’s the opposite. Bill looks and acts like Bill, but there’s something off about Ted. He looks like serious and worried instead of carefree and happy and a little confused like he should.

But like you said, that could be a plot point about middle-age and Life taking some of the wind out of Ted’s sails and his journey back to being Excellent.

It was the voice for me, he can try, but he can’t take 30 years out of his voice.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Gerard Butler stars in a movie where a comet is approaching earth and the populace apparently never remotely considers it could end poorly.

https://youtu.be/1AyxdYP1SNc

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Hot take, I liked Princess and the Frog WAY more than Moana

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

thrawn527 posted:

Not necessarily a hot take, they're both great films. A lot of it comes down to if you prefer 2D vs. 3D animation, and what style of music you prefer. But there's no losers in which movie you like better. They're both much better than the older traditional animated Disney movies.

Personally, I like Moana not even bringing a romantic subplot up even once, which is refreshing as hell for a Disney movie, and the message of how Moana "defeats" the movie's "villain", as where Princess and the Frog has a bit more of a traditional arc, romantic lead, and villain, even if she absolutely has more agency and leads the story more than those traditional movies. But Princess and the Frog also came first, and you wouldn't have Moana without Tiana. Also, the music in Princess and the Frog slaps.

My 4 year old daughter loves both. Her favorite Princess to meet at Disney World by far is Tiana (there isn't anywhere to meet Moana that I'm aware of yet, though there's a Moana area being built soon at Epcot.)

I was mostly being flippant, but yeah, I'm an absolute sucker for Disney trying to cling to the 2D animation for another go, plus that soundtrack absolutely spoke to me. The romance point is a great one though!

kiimo posted:

I was unaware that people hate Toy Story 4 which I enjoyed.

This is insane to me, as much as I understand why people would be tired of the franchise, and I do think it's run its course, I also would've said that after the third one. TS3 was a great capstone to the original stories, but the TS4 came along and showed how Woody could grow and reinvent himself (like, AGAIN) and have it be a touching, lovely journey. Plus, to relate it back to thrawn527's note on the resolution to the plot in Moana, the villain wins and it's a good thing! It's actually super sweet and touching! TS4 floored me that they could keep coming back to the same well and have it continue to be wonderful to both me and my daughter, I absolutely hold it in the same regard as its predecessors.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Eh! Frank posted:

I really really did not like Inside Out. Then again, I was in a depressive funk when I watched it and I hated the Sadness character so much, and in the end she's made out to be a hero that saves the day (yes, I know depression and sadness aren't really the same thing and that I'm projecting quite a bit, she's still a terrible annoying character though). I understand the movie's message and don't disagree with it, but the way it conveyed it sucked. Plus the whole "journey to return to the control room" story line did nothing for me.

On the other hand, Coco is amazing.

Lol, this was me 100% as well with Inside Out, but given how much people love it I figured I’d just seen it in a real bad mood or something, and I’ve never bothered to revisit.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

feedmyleg posted:

New Seth Rogen movie about a guy that was brined in pickles for 100 years and woke up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBC0pTh6GDM

Looks fun, but leans on the drama more than I was expecting/hoping. Reminds me of the 50/50 film's tone.

That Jonas Salk bit really got me, otherwise I just don’t like Rogan enough in a leading role to try, let alone two of them.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

BonoMan posted:

Goddamn I love Shia Labeouf. I hope he gets remembered for the genius he is

One of those people who is also both undeniably, impressively dedicated to his craft, and also seemingly one of the most insufferable jackasses I hope to never interact with

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I haven’t seen Godzilla 2, but I do feel obliged to point out that while I love Bryan Cranston, I find Kyle Chandler is about as interesting as drywall. Like, he’s entirely capable, just interchangeable with any other bland middle aged white guy actor out there. And that’s not even because of Breaking Bad, I wanted him to go full Hal!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Valerian has the components of like 8 gorgeous and cool movies stitched together into dissonant mess held together by a charisma-less wood mannequin named Dane.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Hell yes they do

https://youtu.be/VQsvACk6vxs

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Sirotan posted:

This trailer came out July 21 but I've only just heard about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpSK2CsKULg

Female-led action flick with an openly trans director gets a big :hellyeah: from me but Megan Fox feels really miscast as some badass squad leader. Also that CG lion, lmao

I agree on all three points, though I could kinda see Fox (and the questionable CG, that helicopter explosion was also pretty rough) working well if they go more corny with this a la Deep Blue Sea

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
That book was a real time for me, I’m way looking forward to the movie

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

AceOfFlames posted:

Revealing a release date via a loving anagram pisses me off so drat much.

Lol, it’s like “Drink your Ovaltine”, only you know you’re having to work for an advertisement starting out

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
What’s with WW’s new armor, is that a comics thing? Looks clunky to me, but maybe it’s just not my aesthetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Not really a movie for me, but I think my daughter’s gonna love it, and I can think of worse ways to spend some time bonding than while gazing at Henry Cavill