Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

clown shoes posted:

The Queen is coming to Downton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So how much of this movie is about the murders and Manson, etc.? Originally I was steering clear of the film because of it because a Quentin Tarantino take on that subject sounds revolting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Lions Don't gently caress 2.0

they just exchange lascivious glances

From what I've seen on nature shows if they actually showed them loving the entire song would be "caannnn you feelll the looov-" and the lion would be finished.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Embed your trailers, bud!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSUq4VfWfjE
I thought Stewart was doing pretty well staying away from blockbusters. Ah well.

Am I out of touch with the youth these days or are the two other Angels not recognizable? Seems odd to market a Charlie's Angels on Stewart.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mantis42 posted:

Chernobyl dog scene but its the cats from Cats instead.

But the Chernobyl scene was sad, though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

teagone posted:

The first Super Size Me was stupid, because no poo poo if everyday your meals consisted of calorie dense foods with generally poor macro ratios and very little micronutrients you're gonna feel like rear end. More so if you don't workout every day to burn off those excess calories. It's entirely possible to eat smart at fast food places, but the documentary made a point to order everything on the menu as is, which is fine... but come on, that poo poo is obvious lol.

I don't think it gained popularity because people were flabbergasted that McDonald's wasn't amazing for you. I think it was precisely because everyone knew that going into it. The satisfaction of watching something confirm what you already believe.

Also it was interesting for the slow-mo car wreck aspect of it, watching what actually happens to him. The doc is essentially a dude sacrificing himself for our viewing pleasure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whatever actual performance Hanks brings seems secondary to the trust and affection audiences have towards him as a person. You want someone spotless to portray a kind of modern day saint.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ammanas posted:

i just don't see the value of portraying him period. as many have said the documentary is excellent and serves rogers better than an actor portrayal can.

Sure, but since they are doing one I figure that's why they went with Hanks.

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit: The official Jojo Rabbit upload looks a lot cleaner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTqd4yNFuSw

Anyone else out there these days who is writing, directing, and being the lead in their own films? I think I heard Ed Norton is doing it on a project.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

teagone posted:

I will see this movie opening day.

Because of this specifc trailer or because it's a Star Wars movie?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Cameo posted:

This is always debatable when it comes to Hollywood rumors since “rear end in a top hat” can either mean “actually is an rear end in a top hat” or “just doesn’t take bullshit from people”. Hollywood is the most backstabby industry, especially with above the line people - the moment you have a big success, everyone is hoping for you to gently caress up and fail so hard you’re at the bottom of the totem pole again, regardless of how nice you are to everyone around you.

Not to mention women in any industry getting labels if they have things like opinions and backbones.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

cvnvcnv posted:

I think most civilians are the issue in this regard.

The six branches of the Armed Forces: Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy, and Celebrities.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MacheteZombie posted:

U forgot space force

No because it will be made up entirely of celebrities.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AlexF posted:

The CEO of the last company I worked for (a middle sized indie film distributor in Germany) thought that The Death of Stalin was a serious drama depicting the incompentence of Russian politicians in that era. He just didn't see the comedy at all.

The CEO.

Of a company working in film distribution.

It's one thing if he doesn't think it's a satire but to not think anything in the movie is funny is next level.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

* screams at god and shoots AR into the sky

lol you dumb liberal, you didn't even know AR stands for Angel Ruiner

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gigantic Frank Ocean on the other hand has killed thousands.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

teagone posted:

Humble brag: my Ahsoka trailer got picked up by io9 and screenrant :kimchi: It's the trailer I've put the most work into so far. Real happy more people will get to see it.

That rules!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vegetable posted:

it's not a good idea to get this excited about a movie imo, nothing good comes of overly high expectations

Anticipation of something good is a risk you have to take because when it pays off it's all the sweeter.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

flashy_mcflash posted:

Update: this movie loving owned. Everyone should see it, but if you're Canadian it should be mandatory.

Does it have a distributor? Although it does feel like it downtown not everybody in the country is in Toronto this week to catch it at TIFF.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

please cite examples of films that ride the pretense of being braindead

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

McSpanky posted:

She even has a stupid Whedon-style diminutive.

Impossible to read that and not hear "Miss Vaaaanjie" repeating endlessly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

angerbeet posted:

Morbius? Did they already run out of villains?

Assuming they don't re-use any, there have been seven Spider-Man films and around 10 of his villains used. Carnage and Scorpion seem like they could be used soon. Silver Sable and Black Cat are apparently on the way. If you count Spider-Verse that's a few more villains. So yeah, using Morbius seems about right.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Black Cat would be.... weird given the relationship with Spider-Man and how young their going with Holland’s take not the character.

I assume like the Ultimate version they're just going to jettison the romantic link with Spider-Man.

Probably best to do that in general regardless of Spider-Man/Holland's age so that her character is her own thing and not defined by her relationship to him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I hope there are four other Widows, each with their own colour and animal totem, and when the world is in danger they can combine their giant animal robots into the ultimate defender of Earth.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

Just thought of someone else funny, Lettie makes a big deal about the the necklace and about how Dom gave it to her. Conveniently leaving out the part where he also gave it to another woman.

If she's ok raising the woman's son she's probably cool getting the necklace back.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DBZ is pretty appropriate for Easter because there are tons of fights where the hero gets buried in some rock and then there's a dramatic pause and reveal before he rises out of it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dan Didio posted:

Seinfield voice:

Two-Face holding up his favourite, a cookie with equal black and white frosting: "Look to the cookie, Batman!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

I wonder how many years it is going to be before people start moving away from the clock ticking in trailers.

If they really want people's palms to sweat they should use the alerts and sped-up music from videogames that warn you about running out of time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hedrigall posted:

Same, making this accessible to the masses, filmed with the original cast no less, is a great move by Disney. There was no way I was ever going to get to see Hamilton live. My fiancé and I are excited to watch it next weekend

There are now productions in other cities but yeah, this is the original cast that doesn't perform anymore anyway.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's the soundtrack if you really need to rate the quality of its rap.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DC Murderverse posted:

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Hamilton but everyone should give Satisfied a listen, it's easily the best song from the show. (the instrumental is in the trailer they just put up, but the song itself is mostly sung, not rapped, and mostly by Renee Elise Goldsbury, who won a Tony for her work in this show)

Is that the one that's like a Destiny's Child song? That was a highlight for sure because I thought the show was just pure hip hop. Also cool how that scene IIRC is the one they do the rewind of later in the show.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's something that doesn't seem special at all anymore but the first teaser for Spider-Man (the one that got pulled after 9/11) had brief snippets of him webswinging at the end that blew my mind.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's interesting how the trailers evolve for a movie. In the first main trailer it ended with the lightning lassoing whereas the recent one shows it almost right away. Almost like the trailers are episodes and this new one had to go "last time on Wonder Woman..."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cacator posted:

Would it be marginally more surprising to learn that not only is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar a Sherlock superfan, he's also written multiple novels?

When do we get the TV show about a guy who's a star basketball player by day and a kung fu detective by night? He's also an author who writes about his exploits so it's him narrating the show with purple prose the whole time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Only thing I know of Dune is bits and pieces my super Dune geek friend tells me every now and then so I have no real attachment (I mean to Dune. I have an attachment to my friend). But that looks cool.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's Pixar but why do I think of Wallace & Gromit when I see this? The teeth and mouths?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I liked Soul overall but I was into the story of the struggling music teacher but then he died and I remembered the premise and was like oh. Right. Now for Pixar's take on metaphysics and the afterlife.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

wuffles posted:

I’ve posted this story before, but a guy exclaiming, in complete earnest surprise, “bitch got hit by a bus” at the end of an otherwise silent screening of Final Destination, elevated that experience from ‘meh’ to top 5 greatest theater experience of all time.

Drunken Master (2) was already amazing obviously but some guy near the front yelling "rewind that poo poo!" after a particularly cool move has stuck with me for... oh god, almost thirty years?!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Watching a great martial arts movie with a crowd is amazing. People really react vocally to the brutal hits, the most creative and surprising moves, and get into it like it's a playoff game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JazzFlight posted:

Tip: watch every movie and TV show with CC on.
That's what I do.

Not sure if I'm getting old or what, but I can't believe I'm at the point where I have CC/subtitles preferences and opinions. "Ooh, they've got them entirely in the black bars so it doesn't block the picture, very nice." "Are these letters pixelated, wtf, did they do the captioning in Windows Movie Maker?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

2 Pur 2 Ge