Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I took years to get around to seeing it, partially because I had this idea that was really sappy and sentimental, but I found it to be so much more than what I expected. It’s pretty clear-eyed and honest about what makes life bad and how people can respond, and it presents the then-recent history of the depression with far more honesty than I was expecting. It’s well worth watching no matter who you are or how you feel about sentimentality.

And it’s worth seeing to learn how terrific young Jimmy Stewart was, if you only know him from Vertigo and Rear Window. He’s great in it.

It's worth noting that it was also investigated for being Anti-American

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I took years to get around to seeing it, partially because I had this idea that was really sappy and sentimental, but I found it to be so much more than what I expected. It’s pretty clear-eyed and honest about what makes life bad and how people can respond, and it presents the then-recent history of the depression with far more honesty than I was expecting. It’s well worth watching no matter who you are or how you feel about sentimentality.

And it’s worth seeing to learn how terrific young Jimmy Stewart was, if you only know him from Vertigo and Rear Window. He’s great in it.

It makes me cry, but not because it's sentimental, but because I relate to George Bailey to an uncomfortable degree. It depresses the gently caress out of me, while also reminding me that no one is promised their dreams, but very matter-of-factly shows that's not necessarily what Life is about.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

It's worth noting that it was also investigated for being Anti-American

It’s wild they tried to drag Frank Capra’s name in the mud, but I guess some things never change.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

It’s wild they tried to drag Frank Capra’s name in the mud, but I guess some things never change.

The villain of the film is a Capitalist, and he is a thief, and he gets away with his crimes without any repercussions. Also his scheme is to gentrify the town with cheap buildings and outsourced labor.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I can’t remember the last time I sat through the entire film, but I really like It’s a Wonderful Life - I usually end up watching a bit on Christmas Eve. Might have to make a point of watching the whole thing this year.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

If you have any interest in Capra, Five Came Back by Mark Harris is a fascinating read.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

CPL593H posted:

If I ever had "gently caress you" money I'd buy a shitload of rare/limited edition slip cover and make snuff videos of me destroying them to post on the blu-ray.com forums.

Like Mike from RLM did with classic Star Wars figures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf2tBFfMLMk&t=8s

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Happy Hippo posted:

Amazing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lumbermouth posted:

If you have any interest in Capra, Five Came Back by Mark Harris is a fascinating read.

I haven’t read the book but the documentary was fantastic.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Happy Hippo posted:

That just makes the existing ones more valuable :getin:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I saw a video where the guy on camera was holding a still sealed vintage Boba Fett for a friend who ended up banging his girlfriend. So in the video he opened the package, took the figure out, shoved it into a bottle of honey, then took the little gun picked his ear with it, and stuck the gun in there too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shame he didn’t do what that one goon’s GF did to greedo

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

At least now we know what maclunky means.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Tell me more. :allears:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Xenomrph posted:

This is the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813781&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
This is the post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813781&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post470673165

It's kinda worth the 8 pages of buildup from memory. I don't think anyone thought there would be a payoff.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I really hope Greedo’s head qualifies as a flared base. I’m sure the emergency room has seen weirder things, but it would still feel weird to have to go for that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

If you want a tl;dr

She stuck it in her b-hole and took a now famous picture of Greedo's head sticking out of there.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Absolutely worth not spoiling yourself and going on this whole roller-coaster.

Being there for it was wild as hell although now thinking about it the blurry consent of posting a photo of someone's else's orifices who very obviously has mental illness is uh...yeahhhhh

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Just found a crack in my old shout factory Gamera vs Gyaos/Vs Viras dvd, which sucks because the transfers were decent enough that I didn’t feel the need to upgrade, so now I’m eyeing the Arrow Showa set and thinking I’m gonna have to pull the trigger.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

CelticPredator posted:

I’m going to try and pick up Prometheus, Covenant, and TLJ tomorrow bc I love them and care about them

One of these are good tho

[ok one of these are magnificent, one good, and one with cool ideas but too much Kenny Powers in space]

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re all good to me

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I totally forgot Roger Rabbit is coming next week until I got my pre-order reminder!

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
More important than Danny McBride, Alien: Covenant also stars Jussie Smollett

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

I totally forgot Roger Rabbit is coming next week until I got my pre-order reminder!

I totally forgot until this post

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Let's not forget the seminal action classic, Hard Target.

Yes, I will be buying Hard Target because it has a great explosions and UHD explosions are my favorite thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alec Eiffel posted:

More important than Danny McBride, Alien: Covenant also stars Jussie Smollett

Don’t see how this is important

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

When Trump is Prez again all movies featuring Jussie Smollett will be banned so if you buy it now you'll have a valuable collector's item.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have 2 copies of Alien Covenant and also own it on digital

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CelticPredator posted:

have you missed the vlogs?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

Your copies will sky-rocket in value when Disney/Fox decides to digitally erase Smollett and replace him with CGI Michael Biehn.

Alec Eiffel fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 2, 2021

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CelticPredator posted:

I have 2 copies of Alien Covenant and also own it on digital

So you bought the UHD and it came with a BR + code?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Basebf555 posted:

Let's not forget the seminal action classic, Hard Target.

Yes, I will be buying Hard Target because it has a great explosions and UHD explosions are my favorite thing.

I’m waiting for reviews just to be sure, but it’ll probably happen. Wilford Brimley as a full on Cajun is such a weird but great choice!

And Lance is pretty loving scary in his role.

Edit: Malignant sucked and I do not understand the love Blu-Ray.com has for it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I liked it. :shrug:

Not enough to buy it, but watching it for free on HBO Max was cool.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Malignant worked for me because there's a lot of interesting camerawork and set design that felt like an intentional homage to many different eras of horror movies. I think the combination of CGI and practical effects really worked to create interesting environments in a way a lot of big CGI pictures don't.

From a plot perspective, that batshit twist that reframed everything really tickled me and made me want to rewatch the movie but I can understand not liking it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

If Malignant came out on UHD I would be on it day one.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cloks posted:

Malignant worked for me because there's a lot of interesting camerawork and set design that felt like an intentional homage to many different eras of horror movies. I think the combination of CGI and practical effects really worked to create interesting environments in a way a lot of big CGI pictures don't.

From a plot perspective, that batshit twist that reframed everything really tickled me and made me want to rewatch the movie but I can understand not liking it.

Can you even call that a twist though? It was really obvious what was going on right away.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

Can you even call that a twist though? It was really obvious what was going on right away.

I definitely caught on to the basic premise of what was happening, but the full extent of it definitely was shocking and went way further over the top than I expected.

Like, I thought he was psychically taking over her body or something and forcing her to commit the murders, which is technically not incorrect, but I did not expect that he would be literally emerging from the back of her skill and running around with backwards limbs and all that.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CPL593H posted:

I think it's more obvious in retrospect but I had no idea that it was going to escalate the way it did.

Basebf555 posted:

I definitely caught on to the basic premise of what was happening, but the full extent of it definitely was shocking and went way further over the top than I expected.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I also can’t wait for Who Framed Roger Rabbit on UHD. I’ve never owned the movie and have only caught it on tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Malignant on UHD would be a day 1 purchase for me. I watched that movie twice and laughed and laughed.