Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Nihonniboku posted:

Network TV doesn't really produce anything good anymore. I can't think of a single show I watch on ABC, NBC, Fox, or CBS other than Survivor (about to start its 42nd season).
I'm stretching to think of the last time a network show truly grabbed me, and it's Hannibal. Hard to believe that show actually happened. I need to pick it up on Blu-Ray the next time the set goes on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I got Dune and Halloween Kills UHDs coming in tomorrow. Really looking forward to revisiting Dune a few times (especially if I can get a hold of some psychs).

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I snagged a steel book off best buy and it should get here today.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I'm stretching to think of the last time a network show truly grabbed me, and it's Hannibal. Hard to believe that show actually happened. I need to pick it up on Blu-Ray the next time the set goes on sale.

It's on Walmart for a little over $25 which is definitely the cheapest I've seen it on a non-Black Friday/Xmas sale for Blu-Ray+Digital. For comparison the DVD's $20

Digital's on sale currently, and for $15

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I missed the Dune steelbook by minutes today, had it in my cart but lollygagged and didn't check out fast enough. I forgot today was the release date and just assumed they were restocked. It's too bad because I usually don't care about steelbooks either but the artwork for Dune is classy.

I'm assuming these things are one and done and I shouldn't expect them to be back in stock?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Preordered the steelbooks for Dune and Halloween Kills, they should be here today.

I also grabbed the Spaceballs UHD from Amazon for under $20

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got the Dunc steelbook today. I thought I’d rewatch on HBO Max after seeing it in the theater, but I waited till now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Casimir Radon posted:

I got the Dunc steelbook today. I thought I’d rewatch on HBO Max after seeing it in the theater, but I waited till now.

Yea I did the same thing, wanted to rewatch it on HBO but I held off just because I know it's a movie I'm gonna want to watch several times and if I'm gonna do that it may as well be the best version possible.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
It looks so good. It’s a bummer that in this age so many big movies look so bad, relatively. Finished at 2K, or just that awful meh digital look that’s so prevalent, etc.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Cacator posted:

I'm assuming these things are one and done and I shouldn't expect them to be back in stock?

I would put it in your saved cart and repeatedly check to see if it's back in stock. Best Buy restocks their online store at Midnight Central Time, so just check around then if you're up. I've scored some steelbooks that way. Except for Roger Rabbit, that looks like it's never coming back in stock, and I couldn't wait any longer, so I just grabbed the regular 4K edition. I still have the steelbook in my saved items, and I know that if it ever comes back in stock I'll be buying it as well.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Typically, if the item still exists in that manner, there’s a good chance it will come back at SOME point. That was me and Knives Out for drat near a year. Keep hope up!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I had the most Physical Media Thread dream last night where I went on an inquisition due to finding a slipcover in the trash.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I keep telling you to stay away from my house!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

ultraviolence123 posted:

I would put it in your saved cart and repeatedly check to see if it's back in stock. Best Buy restocks their online store at Midnight Central Time, so just check around then if you're up. I've scored some steelbooks that way. Except for Roger Rabbit, that looks like it's never coming back in stock, and I couldn't wait any longer, so I just grabbed the regular 4K edition. I still have the steelbook in my saved items, and I know that if it ever comes back in stock I'll be buying it as well.

Welp Best Buy (Canada) just delisted the item page for the steelbook entirely so that dream has ended :cry:

I'll try again when I double dip for the Dune Parts 1+2 ultimate collector's edition steelbook in 2024 or 2025.

Edit: they've delisted the regular UHD too which is odd, but I know the physical stores have them in stock.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 12, 2022

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
No Way Home steelbook is back up for pre-order at bestbuy.com in case anyone missed it last time.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Dragonshirt posted:

No Way Home steelbook is back up for pre-order at bestbuy.com in case anyone missed it last time.

Thanks for the reminder!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Godfather Trilogy 4K announced, March 22.

Guess I’m gonna own the third now.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 13, 2022

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Boywhiz88 posted:

Godfather Trilogy 4K announced, March 22.

Guess I’m gonna own the third now.
Hasn't Coppola put together new cuts for all of them in the last few years? Are they any good?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

beepsandboops posted:

Hasn't Coppola put together new cuts for all of them in the last few years? Are they any good?

Only recut I know of is Part III, which moves a scene with Archbishop Gilday to the beginning to make the conspiracy blatant from the outset.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

What is the Godfather Coda? And what is the Coppola Restoration?

edit; VVVVV thanks! VVVVV

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 21, 2022

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Coda is Coppola's re-edit and expansion of The Godfather Part III, the Coppola Restoration is the restored versions of the original films that was done for DVD/Blu-ray release a few years ago.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Just when we thought we were out... they pull us back in!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There was also that chronological cut where they moved all the Vito stuff from Godfather II to the beginning before the events of the first film. That was airing on t.v. for a while.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
I’ve been using my PS5 as my 4K disc player, and have started looking at the Sony X700 as a stand alone. Is it worth the $100 for a used stand alone player to get Dolby Vision? Any other “upgrades” I’d get from going stand alone vs PS5?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Harry Privates posted:

I’ve been using my PS5 as my 4K disc player, and have started looking at the Sony X700 as a stand alone. Is it worth the $100 for a used stand alone player to get Dolby Vision? Any other “upgrades” I’d get from going stand alone vs PS5?

Less wear and tear on your PS5 drive. The X700 is great but uhhh notorious for its quirks. Since the last FW update, I've had a huge reduction in pauses. This was most prevalent in Fast 5 and Fast & Furious 6 for me personally. You have to turn Dolby Vision off and on manually, otherwise it will gently caress with the colors for non-DV content.

But $100 is a good price and I'm happy with mine. Also, there are places that sell a region-free version so you can go region-free w/ BD discs.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Harry Privates posted:

I also haven't had any freezing issues since last years update.

I would recommend turning the dynamic range compression to either off or on. When it's on auto I've had problems with the audio intermittently cutting out on Atmos tracks layered on 7.1, ruined screenings of Black Hawk Down, Fury Road and Annihilation for me.

Other than that no problems, the Dolby Vision manual toggle is inconvenient but I'm just glad it has DV at all.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

You have to turn Dolby Vision off and on manually, otherwise it will gently caress with the colors for non-DV content.

Really? I've left it on since I got my new TV n haven't noticed color fuckery. Does it just impact nonDV hdr? or blurays too?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Really? I've left it on since I got my new TV n haven't noticed color fuckery. Does it just impact nonDV hdr? or blurays too?

Everything. Twin Peaks looked off to me and that's when I made the discovery.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Huh weird. Kinda debating get one with auto dv toggling anyway but this gives me more motivation. My other issue is my region free bluray player is also sony so I have to keep one unplugged when using the other because the remotes try to work both at once lol

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've definitely left DV on by accident before, and I don't really ever notice an issue to be honest. It's not something that's so egregious that it jumps out at me, I imagine you probably have to be watching something you know like the back of your hand to notice something is up. And DV itself is something that I can't really quantify because I don't have any direct comparisons to judge it on. I've never watched something with DV and then watched again without DV.

Edit: BTW the night scenes in Taxi Driver with NYC all lit up and everything are mesmerizing on the UHD.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 13, 2022

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The X700 gives me crazy macroblocking issues on Dolby Vision discs with DV turned on. It’s kind of a turd.

EDIT: I don’t mind switching the options, the issue is that it’s giving me these problems on the DV discs too, not just the non-DV discs.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 13, 2022

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Trust me, having to manually turn on and off dv on the player is not a big deal. Takes ten seconds.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I too have the X700.

Yes, you got to manually switch the Dolby Vision on, but at least it has it (unlike my PS5).

The PS5 is an rear end player. Has some weird motion smoothing that you can't turn off (to be fair the X700 did too but I was able to flick off the setting that was causing it) and the "X has updated" notifications are distracting as gently caress.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I have the X700, no issues. Bought it used in... 2018 I think, for $100.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
The only problem I have using my PS5 as a player is needing to turn off game mode on my TV when watching a movie and turn it back on when playing a game. Having it on makes movies look kind of bad and having it off causes some annoying input lag on games.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Timby posted:

Only recut I know of is Part III, which moves a scene with Archbishop Gilday to the beginning to make the conspiracy blatant from the outset.

There's three cuts included in the 4K set:

1989 theatrical (162 min)
1991 final director's cut (170 min)
2019 "Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone" cut (158 min)

Looks like the 1989/1991 cuts are branched on a bonus 4K disc.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
I had the Sony X700 and absolutely hated it. Tons of movies (mostly Universal films for some reason??) froze all the time, and DolbyVision stuff looked like crap for some reason. Got a more expensive Panasonic player against my will and... couldn't believe how much better that stuff looked.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Egbert Souse posted:

There's three cuts included in the 4K set:

1989 theatrical (162 min)
1991 final director's cut (170 min)
2019 "Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone" cut (158 min)

Looks like the 1989/1991 cuts are branched on a bonus 4K disc.

honestly pretty pumped to have multiple cuts of Godfather III.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

egon_beeblebrox posted:

honestly pretty pumped to have multiple cuts of Godfather III.

I wonder if they'll release the chronological version of the trilogy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Probably not.

Francis Ford Coppola did it for television so he could get money for Apocalypse Now, and he's not really a fan of it. So I'm doubtful as long as he's alive, they're ever going to issue it.

I also think it hurts the movie because it fundamentally changes the story structure. It's ultimately Michael's story, and the scenes with Vito in 2 contrast the rise of the Corleone's with the moral collapse of Michael and the family falling apart.