Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm going to white knight Vinegar Syndrome again, but they've always been exceptional at getting their orders out fast. The only real exceptions are the Black Friday and half-way sales, because of the volume.

Customer service is excellent too, I've gotten a response same day, like all three times I've contacted them in the 4 years I've been ordering from them.

They also have a service that lets you will certain releases into existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

With Black Friday/Cyber Monday coming up, does anyone have a good resource for movies where the 4k is much better than the blu? Like worth double dipping for in terms of quality difference.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

With Black Friday/Cyber Monday coming up, does anyone have a good resource for movies where the 4k is much better than the blu? Like worth double dipping for in terms of quality difference.

Easiest for reference is probably just reading reviews and messageboards on bluray.com. But a lot of it comes down to what your favorite movies are. Like, there are a bunch of historical epics(Lawrence of Arabia, Spartacus, Gandhi, Gladiator) that are great on UHD but those movies may not be your thing. There's also a bunch of 80s/90s action movies that I think look great on UHD but of course you actually have to like the movie first(Air Force One, Cliffhanger, Universal Soldier, Rambo trilogy, etc.).

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Yeah stuff from last century has been way more impressive for me. That’s likely because I’m so used to seeing it in low res that it blows my mind that it can look this good.

I just discovered that the Sony UBP-X700 DNR scrubs standard blu-ray playback by default. So in addition to remembering to toggle DV on and off for your 4ks, you also have to select “direct” from the in play video setting when watching blu-ray upscales.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tonedef131 posted:

Yeah stuff from last century has been way more impressive for me. That’s likely because I’m so used to seeing it in low res that it blows my mind that it can look this good.

Really, I think my two must have UHDs are The Shining and 2001, both of them literally had me just in awe.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think Spartacus is just as impressive as the other two Kubricks it's just that you actually have to like the movie and some people don't(although I suppose the same is true of basically any Kubrick film). But visually the recent UHD is flawless.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I watched 2001 a couple weeks ago in Dolby Vision on an 86” and it just made me sad that I’ll prob never see it projected in 70mm. I finally grabbed The Shining since it’s $10 right now, can’t wait.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

tonedef131 posted:

I watched 2001 a couple weeks ago in Dolby Vision on an 86” and it just made me sad that I’ll prob never see it projected in 70mm. I finally grabbed The Shining since it’s $10 right now, can’t wait.

I saw that 70mm print that was making a road trip last year on a giant IMAX screen. Honestly? It looked pretty rough in places since this wasn’t a cleaned up version. Projecting the UHD would probably look better.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

What's the minimum tv size to make watching UHD worth it?

I'm using a 10 year old Sony 48" right now and blu-ray looks pretty decent on it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PeterCat posted:

What's the minimum tv size to make watching UHD worth it?

I'm using a 10 year old Sony 48" right now and blu-ray looks pretty decent on it.

I really don't know, probably just get the biggest one you can manage. I have a 65" TCL series 6, that maxed out my wall mount speakers (that are mounted on a TV stand because it worked well that way)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's highly dependent on your viewing distance. How far away is your TV going to be from where you sit?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

feedmyleg posted:

It's highly dependent on your viewing distance. How far away is your TV going to be from where you sit?

I'm a huge advocate of sitting as close to your screen as you can comfortably/practically. The days of "sitting too close hurts your eyes" went out with CRTs. A screen filling up most of your visual field is good in the theater, so why would it be any different at home?

With that said, I sit about 5 feet away from my 65", which is as close as my room allows. I could imagine a 75" working for me even better.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea typically for the way most people set their room up you need at least like 65 inches but I've gotten away with using a 55 inch t.v. because I sit really close to it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

Yea typically for the way most people set their room up you need at least like 65 inches but I've gotten away with using a 55 inch t.v. because I sit really close to it.
I've had a 42" TV for years but I'm upgrading to a 50". I'd go bigger but it's the max my entertainment center can handle, and I'm not quite in the market to replace that yet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly, when I first got my 65" I thought it might have been a little too big, my previous TV had been 48" so it was really mostly just me adjusting from a ~10 year old LG that I got from my parents when they decided they didn't need it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
not sure on the accuracy of this but

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

not sure on the accuracy of this but

Not sure how well that scales down, but it seems about right in my experience. I only went 86” because I had a specific space above my mantle between brick walls that needed to be filled entirely. I sit an unadjustable 11’ away because the sofa is in a conversation pit and that size seems perfect. It fills your field of vision quite well and you can see a lot of detail, but you don’t have to move your head around at all. According to that chart it’s the correct size for UHD at that distance, so I guess I lucked out.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

tonedef131 posted:

Not sure how well that scales down, but it seems about right in my experience. I only went 86” because I had a specific space above my mantle between brick walls that needed to be filled entirely. I sit an unadjustable 11’ away because the sofa is in a conversation pit and that size seems perfect. It fills your field of vision quite well and you can see a lot of detail, but you don’t have to move your head around at all. According to that chart it’s the correct size for UHD at that distance, so I guess I lucked out.

86" is a monster. What TV do you have? Or is it a projector?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I had a 60" 1080p and upgraded last year to a 4K 65" from the same distance and I'll say it made a world of difference. I'd say 65 is the sweet spot.

I'm building a 120" theater in my basement right now because I'm a crazy person. IMO you always regret the smaller size.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Spatulater bro! posted:

86" is a monster. What TV do you have? Or is it a projector?
It's a LG UN8500. I probably should have researched it better but I just grabbed it because it was the right size and on a good labor day sale. Looks great to me though, and is over twice the size of anything I'd owned before. No other size would have really worked in the space I was using.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently I sit too far away from my TV?? Let me get a measuring stick

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lmao at all you idiots who don’t have your nose touching the screen, just smh

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Xenomrph posted:

Lmao at all you idiots who don’t have your nose touching the screen, just smh

they call you the ultimate pixel counter.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

tonedef131 posted:

It's a LG UN8500. I probably should have researched it better but I just grabbed it because it was the right size and on a good labor day sale. Looks great to me though, and is over twice the size of anything I'd owned before. No other size would have really worked in the space I was using.

Man, that couch looks super comfortable but don't you have to crane your neck to watch TV?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I'm looking at reviews of two TVs and they both talk about "stutter" when playing 24fps content. Does that mean my blurays will look like trash?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Xenomrph posted:

So I'm looking at reviews of two TVs and they both talk about "stutter" when playing 24fps content. Does that mean my blurays will look like trash?

My guess is they're talking about strobing, which is normal for 24 fps content. It sounds like they like turning on that 120 Hz smooth motion crap.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

There's often a "film mode" or something similar to deal with that issue. I don't use it though.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Since HDR is a much bigger deal than the 4K when upgrading I’m not sure I would put that much emphasis on the size. 4K, to me, is more that I can notice texture better than on HD. If I did a double-blind comparison with my current TV/distance I’m not convinced I would be that successful in telling them apart.

Xenomrph posted:

You probably have to dive into the more technical specs to figure out WTF that’s supposed to mean. If it displays 24 FPS as 24 FPS that may come off as “stutter” to some, especially if the screen size is also pretty big.

Perhaps that has something to do with the backlight refresh rate; I dunno. I seem to recall that plasmas refreshed the screen at something stupid like 480Hz and that the lower rates on LCDs could lead to things like blurriness but I haven’t paid attention to anything like that for a while.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

RichterIX posted:

Man, that couch looks super comfortable but don't you have to crane your neck to watch TV?
I was worried about that, but we always lounge aggressively on the couch and it ends up being a pretty natural angle.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

You probably have to dive into the more technical specs to figure out WTF that’s supposed to mean. If it displays 24 FPS as 24 FPS that may come off as “stutter” to some, especially if the screen size is also pretty big.

Perhaps that has something to do with the backlight refresh rate; I dunno. I seem to recall that plasmas refreshed the screen at something stupid like 480Hz and that the lower rates on LCDs could lead to things like blurriness but I haven’t paid attention to anything like that for a while.
This is what it says about stutter and judder, which seem to matter when watching movies and other 24fps content.

Since I'm buying this TV specifically to watch movies and play retro consoles (which I'm pretty sure are lower frame rate), the last thing i want to do is spend hundreds of dollars on a TV that's going to make it look like trash.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It depends on the console/game, but most 2D games ran at 60fps.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

is there a 4K Shining disc with the shorter/international cut?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Warner really has done such a good job w the format. I’m looking forward to watching Gremlins 4K soon. I got the 4K and then we ended up watching a digital copy at my friend’s place a week or two later.

I wonder if there’s any philosophy/culture behind their remasters and conversions. Like, do folks at Warner shoot for authenticity while Disney is trying to push out an “updated” version?

FMJ looked stellar last night.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

This is what it says about stutter and judder, which seem to matter when watching movies and other 24fps content.

Since I'm buying this TV specifically to watch movies and play retro consoles (which I'm pretty sure are lower frame rate), the last thing i want to do is spend hundreds of dollars on a TV that's going to make it look like trash.

I think what they’re saying is that a hypothetical screen that instantaneously transitions from frame A to frame B at 24 FPS will look choppy. Yeah, it will, but it looked that way in the cinema too. Most LCDs can’t transition that fast so there is some amount of time where a mix of frame A and frame B is on screen, which, I guess, sorta acts like motion smoothing (you might also call it “blurriness” because that’s what it is).

This is honestly the first time I’ve seen this described as a desirable thing. They mention that OLEDs basically do transition frames instantly. Guess what, all my 24 FPS movies look great on mine.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I figured all TVs would have a 'film mode' for 24fps content at this point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

I figured all TVs would have a 'film mode' for 24fps content at this point.

Mine does but honestly I don't even like it. I find it distracting, I guess my eye is used to a certain amount of juddering or whatever the term is.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Basebf555 posted:

Mine does but honestly I don't even like it. I find it distracting, I guess my eye is used to a certain amount of juddering or whatever the term is.

Well a big issue is that there isn't universal terminology for any of these features between TV brands. 'Film mode' in Samsungs just changes the refresh rate of the TV to 24hz when it detects a 24fps signal (which has to be separately enabled on BR players that have that ability). But other 'film modes' on some brands are just a preset in their Auto-Motion/Smooth Motion settings that are artificially 'smoothing' a 60hz signal playing 24fps content to eliminate judder/stutter, and it looks wrong.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Origami Dali posted:

But other 'film modes' on some brands are just a preset in their Auto-Motion/Smooth Motion settings that are artificially 'smoothing' a 60hz signal playing 24fps content to eliminate judder/stutter, and it looks wrong.
That's the "soap opera effect", right?

My dad is not a film connoseur and actually likes that effect and thinks it makes things look more "real", while I think he's out of his mind. I tried to explain to him why it's a bad thing and I don't like it, but at the end of the day it's his TV in his house so now I just keep my mouth shut.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

That's the "soap opera effect", right?

My dad is not a film connoseur and actually likes that effect and thinks it makes things look more "real", while I think he's out of his mind. But it's his TV in his house so I just keep my mouth shut.

I mean, I get what he's referring to, the image does look more "real" in the sense that it feels more immediate, like the actors are on a stage right in front of you. Which is why it's almost always enabled in the floor models at the store, in a vacuum it's a more impressive image.

Problem with that is of course movies aren't intended to look that way. By adding that effect you're homogenizing everything to look like a stage play(which is basically what a soap opera is), which is often the opposite of what film is supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When my 65" 4K got delivered I realized it was too big for my credenza so I set it up on the floor. I didn't want to go through all the hassle of swapping it with the bedroom one until the next day, so that night I just had it sit 1' away from the couch and just entombed myself inside of Blade Runner 2049. It was the best. Highly recommend as short a viewing distance as physically possible.