Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Liar Lyre posted:

Since it looks like most of the Lowtax/SA drama died down, I’m just gonna dump another link to the new Discord. Come complain about Severin some more!

Lmao, Lowtax is going on an MRA podcast Sunday to defend himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

Anyone in here have experience converting VHS tapes to digital? I'm looking at converters and they all look like flimsy garbage.

I’m also very interested in this question and agree all the ones I can find look like poo poo.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WSAWZ1M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JhO9EbEEBJ3H8

Bought this a few years ago to copy family VHS tapes. Took me awhile to find one that worked in Linux. It worked great for me, though you have to have a good working VCR too.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Iron Crowned posted:

Lmao, Lowtax is going on an MRA podcast Sunday to defend himself

Hopefully he doesn’t like collecting blu-rays. I can require two-factor authentication to join if that’d make everyone feel safer.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

Really only When the Wind Blows interests me, so might as well save the energy and money for the B&N Criterion sale

Is that the mega-depressing animated movie about the elderly British couple caught up in a nuclear apocalypse?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Is that the mega-depressing animated movie about the elderly British couple caught up in a nuclear apocalypse?

Yep

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Still think it’s funny that it’s on the Severin Kids sub-label.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Origami Dali posted:

Anyone in here have experience converting VHS tapes to digital? I'm looking at converters and they all look like flimsy garbage.

I've used stand-alone DVD recorders over the years. You can find them for about $50 (plus shipping) on ebay. They record at 480p but I've gotten pretty decent results. Of course, you'll need video editing software afterward.

Avoid the DVD/VHS combo units.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Liar Lyre posted:

Still think it’s funny that it’s on the Severin Kids sub-label.

Upcoming releases include Plague Dogs and Watership Down :v:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I never really felt like Mallrats looked much better in HD then it did on that excellent 1998 DVD. Curious what the "restoration" looks like.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Still need to grab Clerks on BD.

Looks like it's hard to get ahold of now. It's too bad because the 15th anniversary Blu-ray was great. It contained all(?) the special features of the Clerks X 3-dvd set and could be bought for <$10.

I can find things to enjoy in Mallrats but I think Clerks is the only Kevin Smith film that I would actually call a very good movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Liar Lyre posted:

Since it looks like most of the Lowtax/SA drama died down, I’m just gonna dump another link to the new Discord. Come complain about Severin some more!

Looks like the discord invite has expired. :sigh:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

wa27 posted:

Looks like it's hard to get ahold of now. It's too bad because the 15th anniversary Blu-ray was great. It contained all(?) the special features of the Clerks X 3-dvd set and could be bought for <$10.

I can find things to enjoy in Mallrats but I think Clerks is the only Kevin Smith film that I would actually call a very good movie.

The Mallrats TV version is the funniest movie with his name on it.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Xenomrph posted:

Looks like the discord invite has expired. :sigh:

Try this.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Severin sale live again, and surprise surprise, it's useless

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You are a gentleman and a scholar. :cheers:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Origami Dali posted:

I have a friend that does this. What do you want to know?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Origami Dali posted:

lol I just tried one more time before going to sleep and got the DDoS protection message again

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I have a friend that does this. What do you want to know?

I'm a different poster, but is there a good consumer-level device for making digital files from VHS?

Everything on amazon seems cheap and unreliable.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I'm a different poster, but is there a good consumer-level device for making digital files from VHS?

He doesn't use any kind of device or machine. It's some kind of adapter that plugs into his computer and captures the video with software. It doesn't seem like anything too elaborate and I know it works well because he's done more VHS to DVD transfers with that thing than I could even begin to guess. I'm going to ask him about it in the day time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

He doesn't use any kind of device or machine. It's some kind of adapter that plugs into his computer and captures the video with software. It doesn't seem like anything too elaborate and I know it works well because he's done more VHS to DVD transfers with that thing than I could even begin to guess. I'm going to ask him about it in the day time.

It's almost certainly some sort of VTR setup using FireWire.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
They make plenty of rca/s-video to USB adapters that let you hook up your vcr and capture the output via software. I was just asking if there was a particular recommended adapter since they all look like cheap crap and have a fair amount of reviews calling them cheap crap.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

It's almost certainly some sort of VTR setup using FireWire.

Probably? I'll get the specifics from him because this is a thing he's doing constantly. I'm not even exaggerating when I say that if he's at home he's doing this.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1401565-REG/atomos_atomnjav01_ninja_v_5_4k.html

Just spend $500 and you can record anything off a screen. ANYTHING.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
So Pitch Black is coming to UHD. Anyone else hyped?

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

I never really felt like Mallrats looked much better in HD then it did on that excellent 1998 DVD. Curious what the "restoration" looks like.

The current HD editions are typical of the kind of garbage that Universal was putting out for a long time. I'm sure it can get a LOT better than that.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Origami Dali posted:

It sounds like they keep upgrading their DDoS protection but not upgrading their bandwidth.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

VoodooXT posted:

It sounds like they keep upgrading their DDoS protection but not upgrading their bandwidth.

I'm assuming whoever they're paying to deal with bandwidth is conning them.

"Oh what? Well you guys paid for the super-duper server bundle, so... It must be a DDoS! Yeah, that's the ticket!"

They've resorted to just having people E-mail them with what they want to order. The whole thing now has a "Kramer running Moviefone" vibe to it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

quote:

Well despite our best efforts and money put into upgrading the site in the past few weeks, it's hosed. Until traffic and refreshing subsides apparently the site will not function. Our host is suggesting DDOS again but, whatever it is, it ain’t working. So here’s what we suggest if you want to order from the sale tonight:

Email your order to orders@severin-films.com

Include items that may have been listed as out of stock. We will not charge if we do not have the stock. And we will fulfill on a first come first served basis. There are still bundles but stock is getting lower as, it may be hard to believe, a number of orders were able to come through tonight but we still have plenty of all the Fulci and Franco and even some Franky & His Pals so order if you still want them, we will break up the bundles if you need a Franky until all 1000 are sold. Include your catalog and merch items too and we will generate an invoice.

Edit: FYI you don't need to send payment info with your order but it will help if you email from the address you use for paypal or if not then put your paypal email address in the email so we can generate an invoice. Either way we will email you with an invoice in the coming days. If you have sent the email, you can go to bed. Sleep tight.

Until the site gets back up and running this is how will we take orders. We will be extending the sale further also once the site is back up. What a loving nightmare. Sorry everyone.

Why the hell wouldn't they just postpone the sale until they sort out their website instead of making people go through the clusterfuck of ordering through email and just taking a wild guess as to what's in stock? What a complete joke.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I think all the USB to RCA adapters are cheap Chinese crap, but they'll probably work. If you need something more reliable you'll have to go with an internal capture card or something.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CPL593H posted:

Why the hell wouldn't they just postpone the sale until they sort out their website instead of making people go through the clusterfuck of ordering through email and just taking a wild guess as to what's in stock? What a complete joke.

Hahahaha wow. I noticed the sale went up an hour early last night and I was able to sneak in another tiny order of 2 movies that still took about 40 minutes to complete. Processing orders by email now is going to be an absolute disaster.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol: Severin has had sales before, how did they gently caress up this bad?

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly, I can't think of a bigger fart fail of a sale than the current Severin one. They had titles on their site hours before the sale, and I bought them, only to have the money refunded an hour later and I received a somewhat snarky email about buying them early. I was just making sure my account had my correct shipping address, and noticed the titles were available. Since then, the site has been down almost the entire time, they've made up silly excuses about this, and have been having bashing some of their customers via social media. I really liked what Severin were doing, but right now I'm kind of done with them. This will change the moment they announce the Laura Gender Emmanuelle boxset, of course.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Okay so it turns out my friend thinks his setup kinda sucks and he's just too lazy to gently caress with getting something better. This is his exact answer to that question:

quote:

Ugh I don't even know. I use Roxio VHS to DVD but it's pretty terrible. I've been meaning to buy another one.

I'm not entirely surprised by this.

Boinks posted:

I think all the USB to RCA adapters are cheap Chinese crap, but they'll probably work. If you need something more reliable you'll have to go with an internal capture card or something.

Everything is Chinese made crap.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hahahaha wow. I noticed the sale went up an hour early last night and I was able to sneak in another tiny order of 2 movies that still took about 40 minutes to complete. Processing orders by email now is going to be an absolute disaster.

That is a level of patience I will never have. I was only going to maybe impulse but that Penelope Spheeris movie they have so really I'm just amused at watching how badly they botched this whole thing. I can't wrap my mind around why they haven't just said they're going to do the sale later when they unfuck their website. That might somehow be the dumbest part of this whole thing, which is no small feat.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

At this point I’d rather order from Diabolik and pay full price just to avoid the hassle.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I already forgot the discount for this sale. Is it 50%?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

CPL593H posted:

on titles older than 6 months, yes. plus the exclusive limited stuff.

I spent the money I was going to spend during the sale at my local record store instead, I wasn't super excited about any of the new releases anyway. I'll order from them some time in the future when they get their site working again.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

50% stuff not released in the last 6 months.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As someone who missed this clusterfuck the first time around, would definitely appreciate if anyone in this thread would post when and if the sale comes back online. Diabolik is one I've been holding out on forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I bought:
The Beast Must Die
The Uncanny
Asylum
Count Dracula
And Now The Screaming Starts
The Changeling

But only because most of those have been on my wish list at full price for over a year. I don’t think I’ll bother with Severin’s own site after this, I’d rather just pay full retail on Diabolik or something than deal with this poo poo again. Really make me appreciate Vinegar Syndrome even more since I was able to buy 16 titles with zero issue 30 minutes after their big sale started.