Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean there are entertaining movies that I unironically love from that era, like I love pretty much every Russ Meyer, Frank Henenlotter or Herschell Gordon Lewis movie. And I've been burned plenty of times on a VinSyn or Severin blind buy, but not to the tune of $170. But the stupid collector in me is telling me to hold on to it, because I'll never get another chance to have it in my collection for less than $250.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I love the grimy 70s aesthetic, so I'll sit through a boring movie if there are scenes set in like a gross old diner or an old department store or something. Don't Go In The House has some good scenes, but I even like that part where the guy's buying a shirt while disco music is playing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did the columbia classics have a very limited print run or get recalled or something? its like impossible to find now

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Empress Brosephine posted:

did the columbia classics have a very limited print run or get recalled or something? its like impossible to find now

There was a production issue with Laurence of Arabia that might be delaying it, not all of the supplements were on one of the Blu rays.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just so y'all know, prepare for delays in shipping from usps. Not just because of covid, trump put a crony in charge of the usps with goal of forcing privatization of the usps.

He's already started implementing bullshit to slow down delivery and wants to jack up shipping rates.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I love the grimy 70s aesthetic, so I'll sit through a boring movie if there are scenes set in like a gross old diner or an old department store or something. Don't Go In The House has some good scenes, but I even like that part where the guy's buying a shirt while disco music is playing.

:same:

It's one thing I really do love about a lot of those movies is just being able to drink in the backgrounds. The great part of it is that all of that was ubiquitous at the time it was made, and it just feels so alien now at times.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

MacheteZombie posted:

He's already started implementing bullshit to slow down delivery and wants to jack up shipping rates.
I bought The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford on Blu that shipped out of Portland where I live, went to Las Vegas and is now sitting in Oakland. I was wondering what that nonsense was about.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 20, 2020

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

It's one thing I really do love about a lot of those movies is just being able to drink

Hell yeah! :guinness:

I did appreciate the performance of whoever played Joe in Psycho-a-Go-Go, like it was no wonder that Adamson made him the central focus of the repackaged movie Fiend With the Electronic Brain. He chews all the scenery and steals the whole show. Although Cathy the Minstrel Doll is a close second, like why did they specifically need a black baby doll that sings old negro spirituals in the movie? And they just took audio of somebody singing and added a warbly chipmunk filter over it. I was cracking up every time that doll was onscreen and I didn't know if I should've been offended.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

I bought The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford on Blu that shipped out of Portland where I live, went to Las Vegas and is now sitting in Oakland. I was wondering what that nonsense was about.

I was supposed to get almost everything I ordered during the great sale wallet massacre of this month on Friday and Saturday, but now a lot of the things don't even have delivery dates on their tracking just "in transit" status. Stinks real bad since I won't even be home tuesday and Wednesday and worry about package theft. Considering asking someone to just stay at my house those days lol.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

King Vidiot posted:

...Cathy the Minstrel Doll is a close second, like why did they specifically need a black baby doll that sings old negro spirituals in the movie? And they just took audio of somebody singing and added a warbly chipmunk filter over it. I was cracking up every time that doll was onscreen and I didn't know if I should've been offended.

I was super confused by that because it wasn't like talking dolls weren't a thing back then, so why on Earth did it have to be THAT?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

It's one thing I really do love about a lot of those movies is just being able to drink in the backgrounds. The great part of it is that all of that was ubiquitous at the time it was made, and it just feels so alien now at times.

I like how if you watch movies from a certain era everyone is just smoking constantly.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

CPL593H posted:

I like how if you watch movies from a certain era everyone is just smoking constantly.

That always clashes in my mind with how things look vs how they must have smelled.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

PeterCat posted:

That always clashes in my mind with how things look vs how they must have smelled.

Oh everything must have smelled loving terrible back then. I'm old enough that I was on the tail end of people being able to smoke in places and vending machines that sold cigarettes in restaurants. There was a pool hall near my house and I'd go there with my friends and when I got home the smell of cigarette smoke on me was so strong that I'd have to take a shower and change my clothes. It's crazy to think of that poo poo now.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Hell, the only decent pool hall near me is still like that.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I watch a ton of film noir, so everyone is basically smoking the entire movie, it's so fascinating. Everyone must have been drenched in cigarette fumes and tumors. Anything with Bogart, all the old dance movies I love... Everyone is basically a chimney.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I was super confused by that because it wasn't like talking dolls weren't a thing back then, so why on Earth did it have to be THAT?

Maybe there were some kind of product placement laws in place, like there was a Chatty Cathy in the script but they wouldn't let Adamson put it in so he just put in a doll, called it "Cathy" and had it sing. But the "minstrel" part was just really loving weird, and it didn't feel like an off-color joke just a really odd choice.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

There's a reason everyone looks over 40 in those movies.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I think most people like the aesthetic of Grindhouse rather than the actual movies whether they know it or not, because most of the movies are boring garbage that people had to be tricked into watching.

It's this exact reason that I hated 'Death Proof'. The movie nails being a "grindhouse" movie, in that it's boring garbage that you have to get tricked into watching. I get that that was "the point", but it doesn't make the movie itself any better.

Unrelated, is that Kino Lorber sale still going on?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

There was a production issue with Laurence of Arabia that might be delaying it, not all of the supplements were on one of the Blu rays.

I don't think it's that, they probably sold out since it was probably a limited run. My copy included a B&W printout with instructions on getting the replacement disc.

FYI, the difference is that of the two 2012 Blu-ray releases - the standard release had the movie on one disc and extras on the other. However, the big laserdisc-sized gift set included an additional supplements disc, as well as a soundtrack CD (plus a coffee table book and actual 70mm print frame). The combined content easily fits on a BD-25 since most of it is SD, but here's the difference...

Standard edition/supplemental disc 1 in gift set/errant UHD supplement disc:

- Peter O'Toole interview
- Making Lawrence of Arabia (61 min) [from the 2001 2-disc DVD)
- Steven Spielberg interview [also from 2001]
- Three vintage featurettes [also on DVD]
- Wind, Sand, and Star: The Making of a Classic (featurette from the 1971 re-release)
- NY Premiere footage (from 2001)
- Ad campaign montage (from 2001)

The replacement disc (and the second disc in the gift set) adds:

- Deleted scene
- Martin Scorsese interview
- Restoration featurette
- Newsreel clip
- Alternate edit of Wind, Sand, and Star
- In Love with the Desert (83 min locations doc)
- Interviews with William Friedkin, Sydney Pollack, and Steven Spielberg
- Four trailers (including the 1962 roadshow 70mm trailer fully restored)
- Two TV spots

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Each film in the Columbia set comes in it's own case and slipcover so it's clear they're gonna release them individually at some point. I think UHD as a format is just niche enough at this point where any box set like that is going to be a relatively limited run.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Death Proof is QT second best film

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

You must hate all of his movies

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Xenomrph posted:

Unrelated, is that Kino Lorber sale still going on?

Kino sale runs until August 3.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

What do you think is his best?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I like Tarantino :ohdear: ...

Not that I think he's a flawless filmmaker, or a transcendent artist, but I dig his ability to flagrantly waste a ton of money and time on something so specific, with the benefit of not needing to care about the rules of filmmaking, marketing, or audience. He just makes a product so specific and seemingly uncompromised, it's refreshing in the north american film market. Though perhaps that's probably a failure of the film industry to cultivate new talent and allow them to develop voices outside of IP and franchises. But I choose to appreciate what we are able to get than rue him for what we don't.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

What do you think is his best?

Jackie Brown

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

That's the correct answer

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd say Jackie Brown has gotta be at least top-3, and for me definitely top-2. I'm just not sure if it beats Pulp Fiction. Every time I watch it though it gets better and better.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

:hai:

I haven't seen Death Proof since it came out, I remember liking it a lot but I don't know if I could fairly rank it without seeing it again.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Even Tarantino doesn't like Death Proof very much

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Happy Hippo posted:

I remember enjoying it the one time I saw it 10 or 11 years ago.

It for sure was better than the second feature I saw that day when someone dropped by with Donnie Darko 2.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'd say Jackie Brown has gotta be at least top-3, and for me definitely top-2. I'm just not sure if it beats Pulp Fiction. Every time I watch it though it gets better and better.

Yeah, I remember not liking Jackie Brown as a kid because it "wasn't Pulp Fiction" but then I watched it in my 20's and appreciated it way more and then just a few years ago I watched it again and it was even better. People give Tarantino a hard time because he "makes the same movie over and over again" but they don't realize that he can make a really good movie without falling back on his style. For the rest of his movies his "style" is a deliberate choice, not a crutch.

My personal rankings: Django Unchained > Jackie Brown > Pulp Fiction > Reservoir Dogs > Hateful Eight > Inglourious Basterds > Kill Bill > Death Proof

And I almost forgot that Kill Bill existed, so yeah.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Jackie Brown=Inglorious Basterds>Death Proof>Django> everything else QT has done, I dont really care what order.

I think Death Proof hits hard when its a part of a midnite feature and you get the trailers and Planet Terror in the mix or any other genre/b-movie you wanna toss in. That's where it works well.

dorium fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 21, 2020

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
Death Proof was a lot of fun to watch back when Grindhouse was playing in theaters, but it's definitely the weakest Tarantino film and it's pretty mediocre on its own.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Happy Hippo posted:

Artists are really bad at judging their own work

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I mean, even if Death Proof is my least favorite it's still at a baseline level of "really good". Fleshed out into a longer movie it could've been up there with his best.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's a cool concept for a movie inside of Death Proof but Tarantino didn't crack it in execution.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Jackie Brown (and Death Proof are top two Tarantino)

co-signed

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, even if Death Proof is my least favorite it's still at a baseline level of "really good". Fleshed out into a longer movie it could've been up there with his best.

It’s already 2 hours how long did you want it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

It’s already 2 hours how long did you want it

I had no idea the standalone release of Death Proof is that long. The version presented in Grindhouse is slightly under 90 minutes and honestly I think that's where it should stay otherwise the movie would wear out its welcome. Though in any form I'm not interested in seeing it again because I think the best way to have seen it is in a theater as part of the complete Grindhouse. I don't feel like it or Planet Terror work outside of that context. The fake trailers do though. I've watched the Don't trailer god knows how many times.