Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Liar Lyre posted:

You’re good. I question it myself. I paid probably probably a little too much for Evil Town and Vice Academy 1-3 just to complete the Vinegar Syndrome Academy set. Hedrigall is right, it’s mostly compulsion.

In fairness anyone buying physical media is a weirdo who hates money and I'm no exception. I've also been collecting records for a little under 15 years and I like comic books.

Help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Lumbermouth posted:

We’re not playing twenty questions with you, dipshit.

What's wrong? You seem upset. Did someone say something mean to you?

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

He's not wrong. Most *democrats*, both voters and politicians, are opposed to things like universal healthcare/a not completely lovely safety net, let alone the outright reactionaries.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Vagabundo posted:

What's wrong? You seem upset. Did someone say something mean to you?

Honestly, you're just loving tedious.

EDIT: like, no one wants to hear someone being smug about a pandemic that’s killed hundreds of thousands of people.

Lumbermouth fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 9, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Doctor Teeth posted:

He's not wrong. Most *democrats*, both voters and politicians, are opposed to things like universal healthcare/a not completely lovely safety net, let alone the outright reactionaries.

The Republican White House literally floated an idea to just let the states hit hardest by the pandemic die so that their Democrat mayors/governors could take the blame, but sure, let’s go ahead and “both sides” this argument.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lumbermouth posted:

Honestly, you're just loving tedious.

EDIT: like, no one wants to hear someone being smug about a pandemic that’s killed hundreds of thousands of people.

I'm sure everyone's waiting for you to throw a shitfit hours after the fact when I post though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What are the odds Beyoncé's Black is King will ever get a physical release? Cuz that's a drat thing I'd love to own on 4k.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

What are the odds Beyoncé's Black is King will ever get a physical release? Cuz that's a drat thing I'd love to own on 4k.

What's Disney's stance on physical media, now that they've got Disney+ as a platform?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Vagabundo posted:

I'm sure everyone's waiting for you to throw a shitfit hours after the fact when I post though.

Hey how about shutting the gently caress up so we can all move on from this dumb poo poo you insist on keeping alive

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m pessimistic about all these streaming exclusives ever getting physical releases :/

Things I’d love to own on disc include Togo, The Mandalorian, Beastars, A Whisker Away, the live Hamilton movie, The Vast of Night

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Disney I think will sell physical releases for as long as there are people willing to buy them, even if it's collector weirdos, because they like money.

In other news, Walmart's overpriced vinyl shelf apparently also now includes frames, which fit laserdiscs just fine. Got one to try it out, and I'll probably get two more for Part II and III and put em on the wall. 10bux!

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 9, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hedrigall posted:

I’m pessimistic about all these streaming exclusives ever getting physical releases :/

:same:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Hey how about shutting the gently caress up so we can all move on from this dumb poo poo you insist on keeping alive

Hold on, I didn't realise I was also Dr. Teeth and Big Mean Jerk.

Brexit the Frog posted:

it’s on disney plus right now

Is it? I just had a look and it didn't come up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

My first instinct is to say that Disney will not give much of a gently caress about physical media and try to phase it out, but they also released a blu-ray for The Black Hole so anything's possible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vagabundo posted:

What's Disney's stance on physical media, now that they've got Disney+ as a platform?
Well,
https://twitter.com/adamhlavac/status/1291944643806912513

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If Hocus Pocus is their last non-MCU 4k... :emo:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Just give me Aliens goddamn it

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Well poo poo

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

Just give me Aliens goddamn it

Yea im glad I got that giant Alien series collection awhile back now (and purchased both Prometheus and Covenant recently in 4K). Tho if there were anyone capable of getting their movies onto UHD it would be Jim Cameron.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Someone needs to break up Disney so I can get my 4k of Gleaming the Cube.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Someone needs to break up Disney so I can get my 4k of Gleaming the Cube.

Someone needs to break up Disney because they're almost single handedly going to destroy the way we get to see movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

In fairness anyone buying physical media is a weirdo who hates money and I'm no exception. I've also been collecting records for a little under 15 years and I like comic books.

Help.

Me and my roommate wanted to watch Platoon the other day, but it wasn’t streaming anywhere. Luckily we have it on blu, dvd, and vhs. ;)

gently caress the streaming services.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Me and my roommate wanted to watch Platoon the other day, but it wasn’t streaming anywhere. Luckily we have it on blu, dvd, and vhs. ;)

gently caress the streaming services.

Oh I 100% agree. I still haven't got over the end of video stores.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CPL593H posted:

Someone needs to break up Disney because they're almost single handedly going to destroy the way we get to see movies.

At every level, from theaters to home cinema.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

blu ray upgrade of the furies, please

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think this move will ultimately be temporary. Other studios are obviously making money with their home video releases. That Sony UHD set sold out, Spartacus was a big success, I heard Jaws was too, you have the Back to the Future set coming out, Full Metal Jacket, and studios are still doing new 4K releases.

Meanwhile, Disney has this large vault of material that they're not going to exploit? Someone is going to realize that they can make money, and they're not going to let Sony/Warner/Universal/Viacom get all the cash.

Now, sure, streaming means a constant cash flow. But Warner and Viacom have their own streaming services and they still do lots of 4K stuff. Why? Because they don't compete with each other. They're complementary services. That's why Netflix is willing to license their movies out to Criterion. They're happy to get my streaming dollars AND my physical media dollars.

Disney might be focused on MCU, Star Wars, and the Disney Princess + lions model, and that will always make up a core part of their business, but at some point, they're going to see the dollars they are leaving on the table.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a Straight Story physical release though.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I could have sworn I heard Straight Story had been licensed to Criterion.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna buy Home Alone and Hocus Pocus regardless, and if they sell really well and Disney really wants to die on that hill and lose out on that money, then they got way bigger problems than just mismanaging a video division. By many accounts, digital sales and rentals have an uphill battle against buffet-style services, so even if they're slightly more profitable and have less production cost, they're inevitably doomed too. Consumers will just learn to wait for titles to cycle in and out of the services.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
There are some 4K sets on BestBuy.com that are cheap today. Corenetto Trilogy, Jurassic Park 5-movie, The Mummy Trilogy and Bourne movies. Looks like Amazon might have a similar deal.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

$45 is still too much for two JP movies

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah it really sucks we probably won’t get stand-alone releases since I only want the first one. The UHD is pretty lackluster according to reviews so I’m not too upset on missing out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
From what I've heard the Jurassic Park UHD is ok but definitely just an incremental upgrade, nothing essential. It's one of the greatest movies of all time so if there was a standalone disc I could buy for like $15 I'd probably have done that by now but I'm not spending money on the whole set. I already own the whole series on blu ray anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Didn't they at one point do a new master for Jurassic Park, and then only put it on the 3D Blu-Ray so practically nobody saw it?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dorium posted:

$45 is still too much for two JP movies

Two? ‘Tis too much for one.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’m a lost world apologist. Everyone has a favorite bad Steven Spielberg movie.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

dorium posted:

I’m a lost world apologist. Everyone has a favorite bad Steven Spielberg movie.

Was Lost World the one with the person laying on a slowly breaking windshield of jeep hanging from a cliff? Because that scene is a masterpiece of editing and sound design.

Rest of the movie, ehn. Might have been JP3, which is why I don’t remember which movie it was from.

In other news,
4K UHD with HDR and Atmos of Ghost in the Shell. Depending on the restoration quality it may be a new test disc for me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I honestly like JP3 more than Lost World. LW has the big trailer cliff action sequence and the novelty of the T-Rex running around the city and that’s about it, the rest is just dull as poo poo. JP3 isn’t fantastic or anything, but it’s consistent all the way through and it’s a decent lazy Saturday watch.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Best thing about Jurassic Park 3? It’s 92 minutes and it goes. You’re in, you see some cool dinosaurs, you’re out. Probably could have been longer, but I’d rather have a too short movie than a too long one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
92 minutes is an impressive amount of time to fill when you threw your script out 3 weeks before filming and had to make up a new story on the fly. The fact that it's a solid flick is a miracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Lost World is like Star Trek Generations for me - it's a mess, but I love the slop.

-They promoted Malcolm to lead (neat!) and basically reinvented his whole vibe
-But also brought in Pete Postlethwaite and gave him the only real arc anyone has in the movie (smart! but also odd!)
-They bring in Vince Vaughn for a role you assume is going to end in getting ate by a dinosaur but instead he just sort of exits the movie (okay?)
-Julianne Moore is there, but once she's successfully lured Malcolm to the island she has absolutely nothing to do. Baby Dinosaur Veterinarian feels like an attempt to give her a reason to still be in the movie
-They have a perfect Smash To Credits moment with the escaped TRex roaring at San Diego, but they don't - the movie keeps going! Enjoy this bonus 15 minutes of catharsis!

It's the only Spielberg I can think of where it really seems like someone is making him direct this.