Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Another thing to think about is PAL speed up. Ideally, you'd be able to get a 25 fps signal and just slow it down by 1 to get things at the right level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm probably out of luck, but I figure this is as good as place as any to ask this question. This summer I bought the blu-ray for the Japanese movie Swallowtail Butterfly. I own the DVD which has English subtitles, and the blu-ray appears to have no new features, so I just assumed that the blu-ray would have English subtitles too. I got the movie, put it in, and no English subtitles. It would be one thing if my Japanese was as good as it was even a decade ago, but the movie is 1/3 in Chinese, which I've never spoken.

I could just keep watching the DVD, but I don't have a region free DVD player anymore. I stuck it in my PS4 which is my only blu-ray player, and they gave me the warning about only being able to change my region a few times before I'm locked out from doing it anymore.

Is there a way to download subtitles for the movie, and watch the blu-ray using the subtitles on my PS4? Or is watching it on my PC the more likely option?

My highly uneducated guess is that you could rip them both to a PC, and somehow strip the subtitles out of the DVD version, then put them into the Blu version. Then play that file off a thumb drive or I guess burn it back to Blu Ray.

I have no clue what software or even how possible it is to do, as I haven't even ripped a DVD in ~15 years at this point. It also seems like a lot of work but IDK.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That probably won't work, since the likelihood that the DVD and the BR are to-the-frame identical is pretty low. Even if you lined them up, you'd likely get some speed drift. Ripping subs from DVD is a hassle anyway, since they consist of bitmap images in a .sub file and not text, so you'd need to use a program like subrip to convert those images to a workable text file like .srt using character recognition software, and it isn't perfect, so you'd have to correct any irregularities manually. The PS4 option is a non starter.

Just find another copy with Eng subs included.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Thanks, guys. I'm bummed I wasted $60 on this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah sadly eng subs on Japanese discs is a rarity compared to Korean and Chinese discs. subscene might have the subs you need if you rip your disc to a computer.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
So... I learned about the terrible functionality of Dolby Vision on Sony UHD players. It has to be manually turned off and on for qualified discs. Otherwise, it affects the color for any media played.

Not the worst situation considering Blu-Ray.com is good for verifying that stuff. But also, oh god how many things have I watched incorrectly!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah sadly eng subs on Japanese discs is a rarity compared to Korean and Chinese discs. subscene might have the subs you need if you rip your disc to a computer.

I bought a Japanese Blu-Ray of Kenny and Company, because there was no American Blu Ray release, and a new Blu was the same price as a used DVD on ebay.

That blu-ray had permanent Japanese subtitles. They weren't burned in or anything, as I could move them and change the size with via my player's settings, but I could not turn them off.

On the other hand the bonus features were Japanese trailers for all the Phantasm movies, because the director and a few of the actors went on to do the Phantasm series.

Also :lol: at the plot keywords for Phantasm on IMDB

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

So... I learned about the terrible functionality of Dolby Vision on Sony UHD players. It has to be manually turned off and on for qualified discs. Otherwise, it affects the color for any media played.

Not the worst situation considering Blu-Ray.com is good for verifying that stuff. But also, oh god how many things have I watched incorrectly!

Yea I was lucky to have noticed this right away when I started up my first UHD. I was on the lookout for it because I'd gone out of my way to make sure both the t.v. and the player were Dolby Vision ready, so when I saw that it was just running regular HDR10 I was pissed off. Took some googling to figure out that you have to manually turn the Dolby Vision on.

I'm not sure the effect of Dolby Vision on non-Dolby compatible discs is really that drastic though. I'm sure I've forgotten to turn it off before and I've never been sitting there saying "wait a second, the colors are all way off here!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Also :lol: at the plot keywords for Phantasm on IMDB

According to IMDB, only 32 movies involve Exposing One's Breasts. Huh.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not sure the effect of Dolby Vision on non-Dolby compatible discs is really that drastic though. I'm sure I've forgotten to turn it off before and I've never been sitting there saying "wait a second, the colors are all way off here!"
I turned it on and just left it, I’d be curious if there is a benefit of turning it off.

I have noticed on some discs I have to turn off UHD Deep Color on my LG tv in order for it to display video, I wonder if it’s related.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boywhiz88 posted:

is that across all UHD players? I have a Sony UBP-X700, is this something I need to be aware of?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

is that across all UHD players? I have a Sony UBP-X700, is this something I need to be aware of?

Yea it's an issue with the 700, if you haven't manually turned Dolby Vision on then you aren't getting it, it's just playing discs in regular HDR(which is still good by the way!).

The reason you theoretically wouldn't want Dolby Vision turned on while watching a non-Dolby disc is that Dolby Vision is like an active extra layer of data on top of the HDR. It dynamically changes colors depending on what this extra layer of data tells it to do, and apparently on a non-Dolby disc this ends up loving with the colors in a way that's not intended.

But like I said, I've never personally been able to notice that, and I've definitely forgotten to turn it off before.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I’m watching the original Twin Peaks series and the colors pop way more w the Dolby Vision off. I’ll be interested in rewatching some of my Halloween and Holiday regulars as I’ve had this player for almost 2 years.

For reference, I’m also on a 700. I was looking into what benefits there might be for upgrading, and that’s when I learned about this functionality and that it’s an ongoing issue.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The main effect of Dolby Vision is often a solidification of blacks and darker colors, making scenes feel darker overall(but those dark colors are incredibly deep and consistent). So it wouldn't surprise me that something like Twin Peaks would feel more colorful without it, because Dolby Vision might darken it beyond what was intended.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

What UHD players do this automatically? I've been thinking about getting a region-free player for the last couple months and I think once this year wraps up and the holidays are over I may pull the trigger on one.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Dolby Vision might darken it beyond what was intended.
I may have noticed this on VFW, it seemed darker to me than standard HD. Everything I’ve played has still looked terrific though.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I managed to get halfway through Wayne's World once before realizing I left game mode enabled on the tv. I just thought the transfer was garbage.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I am eternally grateful that my current TV automatically switches settings depending on my input.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Boinks posted:

I managed to get halfway through Wayne's World once before realizing I left game mode enabled on the tv. I just thought the transfer was garbage.

My TV has reset my settings a few times for no apparent reason, so I've had that "Wow this movie looks like poo poo" moment a few times before it really clicked as to why. I'm guessing it's maybe when unplug devices or something? I'm really not sure but it's a pain.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Does anybody know if the PS5 is going to support the stuff it should be? Like Dolby Vision, Atmos, etc? I can't find much on it and have one pre ordered. Would rather condense to just that than keep my Xbox One X plugged in.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know it came out yesterday that XSX doesn't support Dolby Vision, so I'm guessing details will be out over the next week or so.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I know it came out yesterday that XSX doesn't support Dolby Vision, so I'm guessing details will be out over the next week or so.

XSX will do it on everything but discs, Sony doesn't have it listed as a feature anywhere.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

XSX will do it on everything but discs, Sony doesn't have it listed as a feature anywhere.

I’m sure it’s a licensing fee thing, but WTFFF. I’m gonna a 50 year old guy with his UHDs bitching about how 64K Holo sucks because you don’t really own the media. I hate digital media compared to discs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’m sure it’s a licensing fee thing, but WTFFF. I’m gonna a 50 year old guy with his UHDs bitching about how 64K Holo sucks because you don’t really own the media. I hate digital media compared to discs.

:same:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

The Xbox poo poo is bizarre cause they can't shut the gently caress up about DV on everything else. They're even doing it on games for the first time. So it's crazy they didn't shell out to get it for discs too.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Best deal for this Mad Men set yet: https://www.amazon.com/Mad-Men-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B013BPR7OC

Only way to get it is with dumb extras, but hey! Good price!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’m the same way, movies are the only medium where it has to be physical discs. I buy digital music and video games all the time, and while I own a lot of physical books I still get a bunch on my kindle if they’re cheaper/easier than getting a print copy. The only other medium I still really stick with physical copies is comic books, and that’s mostly because I don’t have a tablet.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boywhiz88 posted:

Best deal for this Mad Men set yet: https://www.amazon.com/Mad-Men-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B013BPR7OC

Only way to get it is with dumb extras, but hey! Good price!

lol i took the time to buy each season earlier this year for like 70 bucks, but that was like ebay and amazon used.

i shoulda waited to pay $20 extra for some glasses.

dorium fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 29, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Vince MechMahon posted:

The Xbox poo poo is bizarre cause they can't shut the gently caress up about DV on everything else. They're even doing it on games for the first time. So it's crazy they didn't shell out to get it for discs too.

So there's just no backwards compatibility with Xbox One games if you bought them on disc?

edit: I'm a dumb dumb. It has a disc drive. Not that it matters to me because I certainly won't be getting that for a few years if at all.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 29, 2020

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just FYI that Kino Lorber's Shoctober sale is still going on through Nov. 2:
https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/shocktober-sale?affiliate=kcem

Not just Studio Classics titles, but some mainline releases plus sublabels they distribute like Scorpion, Code Red, Redemption, and RaroVideo.

Lots of key directors - Lubitsch, Wilder, Lean, Leone ($40 for a box of his five westerns, all but one from 4K restorations), Wellman, Lang, Friedkin, Ford, Resnais, Lester, Melville, Mamoulian, Corman...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Just FYI that Kino Lorber's Shoctober sale is still going on through Nov. 2:
https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/shocktober-sale?affiliate=kcem

Not just Studio Classics titles, but some mainline releases plus sublabels they distribute like Scorpion, Code Red, Redemption, and RaroVideo.

Lots of key directors - Lubitsch, Wilder, Lean, Leone ($40 for a box of his five westerns, all but one from 4K restorations), Wellman, Lang, Friedkin, Ford, Resnais, Lester, Melville, Mamoulian, Corman...

But not Sebastiane. BOOOOOO!

edit: I don't know the usual price but the Buster Keaton set is 24.99

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 29, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vinegar Syndrome posted:

Don Coscarelli's quintessential fantasy/action/horror blockbuster, THE BEASTMASTER, is making its worldwide 4K UHD debut in a deluxe special edition package, complete with a 40-page book and a brand new feature length making of documentary!

Vernon Zimmerman's long requested on Blu cinephile slasher, FADE TO BLACK is finally gracing the high definition format, in an extras loaded edition! Similar to our SPOOKIES release last year, you will have a choice between two limited edition slipcovers for F2B! One being brand new artwork by Tom Hodge and another slip based on the original theatrical one-sheet by Earl Kessler Jr. Subscribers (yearly & halfway) and everyone who ordered the "everything" flash pre-order package will receive BOTH slipcovers with their Blu-ray. Artwork will be revealed in the coming weeks!

We're also unveiling the second installment in our Forgotten Gialli series, which features new restorations of MY DEAR KILLER, THE FRENCH SEX MURDERS, and THE GIRL IN ROOM 2A!

But, as usual, the cherries of the sale will be our two magnificent surprise VS titles, which are our long promised (and very first) 3-D Blu-ray of an early 80s horror treat, presented in its original scope framing and in full digital 3-D, Anaglyph 3-D (with custom glasses!) and, of course, Flat 2-D for the first time, along with a late 80s, whacked out, crowd pleasing gore fest from one of our favorite underrated wizards of supernatural slice n' dice!

But that's not even close to everything, because we're also gonna be unveiling two brand new, action packed VSA titles (consisting of 3 movies in total)! Plus, two (!!!) fresh releases from our friends at AGFA (including SHE MOB!) and the very first U.S. release from a brand new partner label, this time hailing all the way from France, Pulse Video, who we are helping to bring their spectacular new edition of Claude Mulot's LA FEMME-OBJET to American shores.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I just acquired a LG CX which can decode Dolby Vision and Atmos (No DTS though)

Since the PS5 and XSX don't have Dolby licensing, what is the best UHD player on the market?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
How much better will a UHD make my 2k Criterion's look over my PS4?

Over the past week I've bought a new tv, receiver, and speakers, and will finally be able to set everything up tomorrow. It will be a good day.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Even with the stupid behavior that was brought up, I’m happy w my Sony UHD player.

yoohoo: Also, just get the player. You’ll flip the first time you watch a native 4k flick. The Shining or 2001 are insane. The Shining is honestly so so so good. And I’m happy with the upscaling offered by my UBPX700. God, i got it for a steal at $149. Surprised prices are still so high for players.

But it’s a great jump on a lot of films, but especially the native 4K content.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Island Nation posted:

I just acquired a LG CX which can decode Dolby Vision and Atmos (No DTS though)

Since the PS5 and XSX don't have Dolby licensing, what is the best UHD player on the market?

WTF I thought DTS was just as mandatory and prolific as Dolby Digital. Or is this not DTS audio?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I miss the good old days of THX.

mmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMWWOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Xenomrph posted:

https://youtu.be/j1ZV-zVVnok

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

xarph posted:

WTF I thought DTS was just as mandatory and prolific as Dolby Digital. Or is this not DTS audio?

DTS was left off the OLED. Since the company was bought by a holding company called Xperi (they bought TiVo too), I assumed the tech went south

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Xenomrph posted:

I actually found a file of that THX opening and set it in my Plex as the thing that plays before every movie. So when you start the movie on the Plex server you get the THX logo and sound every time. It’s glorious.