Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

With people who have that collecting gene or whatever you want to call it, the satisfaction mostly ends once the item is obtained. The fun and satisfying part is hunting down the item and being able to check it off your list. So for people like that the hours of entertainment we get from movies is replaced with hours of sifting through the internet and driving from store to store to hunt down all of the variants or whatever they're collecting.

That's what I came to understand when I had a good friend who got deep into collecting funko pops. Sure, he had them on display at home, but he didn't sit there gazing at them or anything like that. But he did spend endless hours driving around from Walmart to Hot Topic to Wallgreens etc. trying to find every variant and to him that was a fun way to kill time.

This is me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
What do you call it if you don't collect a bunch of a specific thing, you just have a really long eBay watchlist with weird poo poo you want to put on your shelves? None of it with any real rhyme or reason or relation to other stuff. Maybe it's a dumb record you want because "irony" or you like the movie it's from, or a bunch of Japanese laserdiscs or movie posters, various horror memorabilia, video store standees...

I don't really understand the need for all of a certain thing, or hunting "rare" items, I just like neat poo poo. But I do relate to the part where my satisfaction ends once I get the item. I don't even look at that poo poo once it's on my shelf or wall.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm collecting the Vestron Video releases and only one out of the 15 I have so far is missing the slipcover, it drives me nuts because it stands out like a sore thumb when lined up with all the other titles. So I just broke down and bought the slip even though I've always thought that was a dumb waste of money. :negative:

you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a blu-ray.com forums poster

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It’s okay. I’m about to return a copy of Mean Girls so I can get a copy with the pink case.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The jokers trick: we were always posting on the blu-ray.com forums all along.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm collecting the Vestron Video releases and only one out of the 15 I have so far is missing the slipcover, it drives me nuts because it stands out like a sore thumb when lined up with all the other titles. So I just broke down and bought the slip even though I've always thought that was a dumb waste of money. :negative:

you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a blu-ray.com forums poster

I have Warlock and ROTLD 3 and they're both awesome.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Liar Lyre posted:

It’s okay. I’m about to return a copy of Mean Girls so I can get a copy with the pink case.

No judgement. Already owned Cluesless BD.

Still bought the Steelbook for Clueless. My justification was I got it on major sale and it had digital.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Boinks posted:

I have Warlock and ROTLD 3 and they're both awesome.

yeah it's an extremely solid collection of titles. I had about half of them already just from buying stuff I like, so I figure I might as well complete the rest of the series. All I'm missing at this point are Gothic, Maximum Overdrive, Class of 1999, and The Unholy.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Vestron is a great label. It's a shame that it seems to be an essentially dead label, as I'm still waiting for discs for The Wraith, The Dentist, Paper House, Sundown and a bunch of other titles that they own.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I really need a copy of Vestron's release of Parents.

Top-shelf Randy Quaid.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

I really need a copy of Vestron's release of Parents.

Top-shelf Randy Quaid.

My wife got this for me around the time our kid was born lol solid choice

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
is the parasite 4K worth not getting the criterion

can criterion just loving get into 4K if the dudes in a warehouse in Bridgeport can do it they can afford it

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

it's tough because some of the special extras on the criterion sound interesting and the blu-ray looks good, but the detail in the UHD is wild and perfect.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea the reviews of the Parasite UHD are very positive. It's not an upscale so that obviously helps.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

John Romero posted:

is the parasite 4K worth not getting the criterion

can criterion just loving get into 4K if the dudes in a warehouse in Bridgeport can do it they can afford it
Seriously, who the gently caress in 2021 is willing to shell out the big bucks for Criterion but only has a standard def TV and DVD player?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Buy both editions and combine them into one case!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Cacator posted:

Seriously, who the gently caress in 2021 is willing to shell out the big bucks for Criterion but only has a standard def TV and DVD player?

I've mentioned this before, but it's amazing to me how many Criterion collectors/purchasers don't care much about picture quality. The DVDs still sell like crazy. Not every cinephile is a videophile.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've mentioned this before, but it's amazing to me how many Criterion collectors/purchasers don't care much about picture quality. The DVDs still sell like crazy. Not every cinephile is a videophile.

I think it’s a price issue as well. But you’re def right about the last part- the only other people I know IRL into criterion are watching them on a 32 inch in a bushwick 1br

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cacator posted:

libraries and academic institutions

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Cloks posted:

libraries and academic institutions

"Works everywhere" is something DVD still very much has going for it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

TheScott2K posted:

"Works everywhere" is something DVD still very much has going for it.

Fair enough, no excuse for dragging their feet on UHD though :mad: Where's my 4K restoration of Fishing with John?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

dorium posted:

because i dont recognize a lot of these

Eureka should be higher, Arrow (and by extension their affiliated labels like Third Window) and Second Sight not being there is a significant omission, Criterion should be S-Tier, and any company that doesn't branch out beyond one region coding (or at least offer region coding free discs) does not deserve to be considered S-Tier. Yeah, that's right, Shout and Kino Lorber, I'm calling you out.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Vagabundo posted:

...any company that doesn't branch out beyond one region coding (or at least offer region coding free discs) does not deserve to be considered S-Tier. Yeah, that's right, Shout and Kino Lorber, I'm calling you out.

This but Eureka (I know they have region free releases but none are the ones I want), I need to just get off my rear end and get a region free player for all those kung fu movies but I don't really want to add another device to my setup.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why isn't Mill Creek lower? Have they improved since the days of their 100-movie American-International Pictures dvd sets with transfers straight from VHS?

I mean, maybe that's a reason to make them S-tier, given how much awesome schlock I got to see that way 2005-2012 from those releases.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Why isn't Mill Creek lower? Have they improved since the days of their 100-movie American-International Pictures dvd sets with transfers straight from VHS?

I mean, maybe that's a reason to make them S-tier, given how much awesome schlock I got to see that way 2005-2012 from those releases.

Mill Creek has had a lot of fuckups but I tend to give them a pass just because their business seems to be "get a transfer and dump it onto a disc without loving with it" which can either go really badly or really well depending on the movie, and they are the only ones who will bother putting certain things out at all.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I got a complete 30 Rock series blu-ray out of them. Unless your name was The Office then NBC wasn’t trying to release you in anything than maybe DVD and one or two seasons in Blu-Ray and quiet after that.

So they get praise from me on that one.

Also the prevalence of The Office Season 1-3 DVDs in college for me really should’ve been an early warning sign of the popularity of the show. Everyone had them. Multiple people with the same dorm/rented apartment had them. I remember someone saying they had to initial their copes of the office so that their roommates wouldn’t take theirs in case they moved out.

dorium fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 9, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There's a bunch of old CN shows I wish would get a blu-ray release.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Mill Creek isn't bottom tier purely due to the price. Yeah, it may be crap, but it was only $8. Here's my terrible list. A lot of the non American labels I'm not that familiar with. Here's the link again if you think you're opinion is better.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I need Invader Zim on blu ray thanks

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah, well, you Severin haters can suck it!

(This post will not age badly once I actually watch one of these movies)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Also this set looks badass:

Probably gonna order this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Severin’s low tier placement has nothing to do with their releases and everything to do with the company itself and their absolute dogshit shop and customer service.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Severin’s low tier placement has nothing to do with their releases and everything to do with the company itself and their absolute dogshit shop and customer service.

I mean, I guess I can't argue that, fair enough.

I once emailed them to ask why my order said "shipped" but hadn't appeared to move in a month or so and they gave me an eyeroll-y response that read like "look, we sent the items out, we got to everybody's, they're all in the mail just be patient, GAW!". And I've seen their website poo poo the bed day one, every big sale. Every one. And every time they seem more annoyed with their customers than their own tech failings.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
So, uh, Grindhouse Video is legit right? There was a sale posted almost two weeks ago and I ordered two UHDs but they haven’t shipped yet.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

david_a posted:

So, uh, Grindhouse Video is legit right? There was a sale posted almost two weeks ago and I ordered two UHDs but they haven’t shipped yet.

Yeah they’re great. They said orders from the sale will take 2-3 weeks to ship at the minimum though, the store is run by two people and they got something like 1500 orders on the first day of the sale alone, so it’ll be a bit.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MVD Entertainment Group is currently having a sale for 50% off Blue Underground titles. The UHDs are $24.95 each. Tempting. https://mvdshop.com/collections/blue-underground-spring-cleaning-sale

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

ultraviolence123 posted:

Vestron is a great label. It's a shame that it seems to be an essentially dead label, as I'm still waiting for discs for The Wraith, The Dentist, Paper House, Sundown and a bunch of other titles that they own.

The Wraith has a blu-ray. It's a region free Euro release.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I'm told that their Ultraman blu-rays are pretty good.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

gey muckle mowser posted:

Yeah they’re great. They said orders from the sale will take 2-3 weeks to ship at the minimum though, the store is run by two people and they got something like 1500 orders on the first day of the sale alone, so it’ll be a bit.

For full context, that’s the equivalent of the entirety of the orders they did for March in just one day.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CPL593H posted:

I'm told that their Ultraman blu-rays are pretty good.

They’re totally barebones but they look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They’re totally barebones but they look great.

This is a deal breaker for a lot of people but I don't really care because 99% of the time I never look at the special features anyway.