Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

IUG posted:

I'd shamefully buy those for the Rifftrax. I've watched those stupid movies too many times.

"Still peeing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I’d hate to have to re-catalogue my entire collection somewhere else. It looks like blu-ray.com is doing a server upgrade and then coming back online.

I use their app to catalog everything I buy but also add everything to a google sheets spreadsheet (w/title, director, year). I'm a film library prepper I guess, finally paid off!

I actually prefer the spreadsheet to blu-ray.com, I like having the individual films from a box set listed separately, their app doesn't do that as far as I can tell

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
How many movies do you people own that you need spread sheets?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I have a letterboxd list for my physical movies.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

I’m too ashamed to give a number, but I’m on my third bookcase. No matter how much you own, it’s still good to have a list handy of what you own. Try to avoid as many accidental double dips as possible.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

I have a letterboxd list for my physical movies.

Same.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

I cataloged all my CDs and DVDs in 2012, when I moved and shipped them in boxes, but I broke them down as packing lists for what was in each box. It took me like two days at the time, but in TYOOL 2021, it would probably take weeks.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
At my peak I think I had something like 400 movies and a couple TV sets. After moving a few times and ultimately realizing I don't watch them as much anymore, I dumped a large chunk of my collection. Probably down to 50 now, and it's a mix of stuff that's out of print/hard to fjnd online, and stuff I really love.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
According to Letterboxd, I own 398 movies, but I really don't need the list to know what I own. I'm never at the store looking at a movie thinking "do I already have this?"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I'm never at the store looking at a movie thinking "do I already have this?"

:same:

Although sometimes I look at a movie and contemplate, if I should it to upgrade from DVD or Blu-Ray.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I created the catalog because people at one point did borrow my movies/tv series and I did not get some of those back over the years. So now I have the catalog just in case.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

According to Letterboxd, I own 398 movies, but I really don't need the list to know what I own. I'm never at the store looking at a movie thinking "do I already have this?"

I actually do get a bit confused about what I've got when it comes to Shout releases. "Do I own SLiTHER? No...I own The Blob and From Beyond, not SLiTHER."

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

You remember that scene at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark with the endless warehouse? Yeah that’s me.

Nah I have like 830 movies. I’d link you the blu-ray.com collection list but, uh, welp. :frogbon:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Let's get nostalgic about rental shops.

My college one is my absolute ideal. Just a really tiny labyrinthine space packed floor-to-ceiling with an emphasis on obscure genre films and outsider staff picks. Most blockbuster films were relegated to overflow binders, the two CRTs were always playing something really interesting, everything was covered in plywood and pegboards, and it was just a little dingy with an old gray carpet throughout, giving it that hint of being in a collector's basement. The person behind the counter was always some shade of chill college burnout with an encyclopedic knowledge of the store with great taste in movies who was definitely stoned.

Sometimes I still daydream about having that job.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 19, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

feedmyleg posted:

Let's get nostalgic about rental shops.

The person behind the counter was always some shade of chill college burnout with an encyclopedic knowledge of the store with great taste in movies who was definitely stoned.
Don’t doxx yourself, bro.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Franchescanado posted:

I actually do get a bit confused about what I've got when it comes to Shout releases. "Do I own SLiTHER? No...I own The Blob and From Beyond, not SLiTHER."

I have two copies and one of them is signed by Michael rooker!

Get on it son!

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I had two rental stores that I used to visit. One was called 99 Cent Video. This was an old store, maybe one of the first video rental stores in the areas. I can close my eyes and remember it perfectly. Wooden floors that creaked, the smell of old media, the back room was full of dusty refurbished TVs that were for sale. They had all the big box VHS tapes from Wizard. New releases are $1.99, all other tapes were 99 cents a day. They also rented nintendo games and for some reason rented CDs (not a common practice in the US). The nice lady who owned the shop would sell me the metal CDs that no one rented pretty cheap. Closed somewhere in 95 after her son got in serious trouble with the law.

Second store was Home Video. I think it was something like $9.99 for a three month membership, plus tapes were $3 for new releases and $1.50 for older titles. Totally worth it though, as this place had walls and walls of movies, every possible genre, including foreign titles, martial arts, and so much horror. I probably rented every horror tape they had, and used to copy each one with my two VCR setup. This place burned down via an employee smoking in the back room around 1999, and also caused the CD store next door to catch fire.

I miss video rental stores. It's an experience that can't ever be replicated. I have tons of movies at home, but I still really miss going to the video store, not really sure what you're going to rent, and coming home with a bunch of tapes (and maybe some snacks if your parents were a soft touch).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My guess for number of movies owned would probably be around 200. I’ve got two sides of a media tower pretty well filled up. I only really buy movies I actually like, or at least interest me in some way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Aaah just found a picture:

:allears: perfection

Though it looked a lot more like this when I was there, with the aforementioned burnout stoner:

My middle/high school rental store was Family Video where every movie more than 10 years old was $0.50 a pop, so I used to just rent 10 movies at a time and just keep them on in the background all day during the summers.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 19, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Did anyone ever get their Akira 4k replacement disc?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also does anyone want to sell me their old Akira 4K disc for cheap?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Amazon directly sold me a counterfeit Shout Factory The Seven Percent Solution late last year. I should have known better because it’s out of print, but I gave it a shot. Bad printing on the disc, low res, and burned in subtitles. I got it replaced but I’m thinking I might just buy direct from Shout in the future.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Also does anyone want to sell me their old Akira 4K disc for cheap?

If I ever get my new one I'll give it to you for whatever sending it to you costs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

Amazon directly sold me a counterfeit Shout Factory The Seven Percent Solution late last year. I should have known better because it’s out of print, but I gave it a shot. Bad printing on the disc, low res, and burned in subtitles. I got it replaced but I’m thinking I might just buy direct from Shout in the future.

Amazon is not a trusted source these days, and they're big and untouchable, so they don't care. Not to mention the human rights abuses that get a blind eye by the gov.

It takes a little legwork, but you can usually buy things directly from the source.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

If I ever get my new one I'll give it to you for whatever sending it to you costs.

You are a kind and generous soul.

I'd love to catch the HDR version too, but I'm also a cheapskate who just can't justify spending $40 on anything that's not a box set.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Do new copies of Akira come with the HDR version? I didn’t find any actual confirmation of that when I looked around, just people complaining about the replacement disc taking forever to show up.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CPL593H posted:

It's in the thousands.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
the man who runs blu-ray.com has been found dead under an overturned cabinet of dvd snapcases

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sliced to death by a thousand mint-condition slicovers :rip:

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Crushed under the weight of 10000 steelbooks

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010
My beloved video rental shop just went out of business a bit after lockdown started and now I don’t care if things ever “go back to normal”. They never will.... : (

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Open your own video store to corner the open market duh

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

do any of you care about steel books versus regular? I used to seek out steel book versions but now, unless the art work is truly better, I don't care. Still very proud that I got the last Mad Max Fury Road steel book from best buy back when it was first released. Of course, now I want to upgrade it to 4k so I have the black and white version too... but I love that case.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LionArcher posted:

do any of you care about steel books versus regular? I used to seek out steel book versions but now, unless the art work is truly better, I don't care. Still very proud that I got the last Mad Max Fury Road steel book from best buy back when it was first released. Of course, now I want to upgrade it to 4k so I have the black and white version too... but I love that case.

I usually go with a steelbook when it's there but I don't really go out of my way to seek them out. I don't even care that much about the art I just like the way they feel and how the spines look when they're on the shelf.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I like steelbooks and definitely prefer them, especially if the artwork is unique and they’re not bonkers-expensive. If I happen to be double-dipping to upgrade to 4K or whatever I’ll usually try to keep the steelbook and swap out the disc.

I try to not collect only steelbooks, though - if a movie has a cool release like a digibook or neo case, I’ll gravitate towards that over the steelbook.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

If all else is equal I'll pick the steelbook, but I'll probably never pay a premium for one.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Open your own video store to corner the open market duh

This place still exists in my old neighborhood back in Chicago.

https://www.facebook.com/thevideostrip/

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

LionArcher posted:

I only care about steelbooks when I'm buying 3D MCU movies (it is ok to laugh at me for collecting these), in my head this will improve the resale value when I sell these after my 3D tv dies one day.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Steelbook-adjacent, I specifically “collect” Call of Duty game steelbooks. They’ve done steelbooks for every CoD game from Modern Warfare 2 onward (although only the PS3 edition of World at War got a steelbook, and it’s got ugly PS3 branding all over it otherwise I’d buy it), so I’ve got 10 CoD steelbooks so far. I like to wait until the next CoD game comes out so the price of the previous year’s release craters a bit, so I don’t have Black Ops Cold War get since I’m a year behind.

Edit— did some quick research and Cold War didn’t get a steelbook. Ain’t that some poo poo.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Spacebump posted:

I only care about steelbooks when I'm buying 3D MCU movies (it is ok to laugh at me for collecting these), in my head this will improve the resale value when I sell these after my 3D tv dies one day.

My double dips are almost all 3D to 4K jumps.