Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

wa27 posted:

The Escape from New York commentary features several instances of Russell and Carpenter pointing out how hot the other's ex-wives are (both are in the movie). It's great.

Reminds me of:
https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1372208491071483913?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Is the upcoming VinSyn sale going to be 50% off the MSRP, or off their regular price?

e: I got my answer. MSRP.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 7, 2021

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Ok I just bit the bullet and ordered the Beastmaster 4k from Vinegar Syndrome. My fear was it'd sell out before the sale or immediately when the sale starts, and I want to avoid that level of FOMO.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Spatulater bro! posted:

Ok I just bit the bullet and ordered the Beastmaster 4k from Vinegar Syndrome. My fear was it'd sell out before the sale or immediately when the sale starts, and I want to avoid that level of FOMO.

From what I understand of the Beastmaster UHD is that it’s just the premium packaging that’s limited. It should available as just the disc at a later date after it’s sold out.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Perhaps, BUT LOOK AT THAT PACKAGING!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

LOOK AT THAT PACKAGING!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Perhaps, BUT LOOK AT THAT PACKAGING!

New thread title.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Speaking of which, I really want the Japanese Columbo Bluray box

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Gripweed posted:

Where to get?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

gently caress yeah dude

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sniep posted:

Where to get?
You’re supposed to ask “just one more thing”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve been debating that set for months now, but my shelf space is already at a premium.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I really hope there was a late 80s/90s culture of Japanese people recording and distributing VHS fansubs of Columbo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Detective No. 27 posted:

I really hope there was a late 80s/90s culture of Japanese people recording and distributing VHS fansubs of Columbo.

They didn't need to, it aired on Japanese TV dubbed in Japanese. And if they missed it on TV they could simply buy the novelizations of popular episodes, which were only available in Japan. Or get the show on Laserdisc, which was also only available in Japan.

Japan loves Columbo.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I'm thinking of forgoing the Barnes and Noble Criterion sale this year to fill out some of the VinSyn stuff instead, simply because it'll be less of a shipping nightmare to Australia and sometimes ya just need that balance, y'know?

Seeking recommendations on my wishlist for stuff I'm missing: https://vschecklist.com/checklist/24039/

I think I'm definitely gonna grab all 3 Forgotten Gialli boxes and round out the roster of blaxploitation stuff. There's also some titles like Putney Swope and Fade to Black that I've been eyeing off on since their release, but if there's anything y'all wanna make a case for me blind-buying, hit me.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 9, 2021

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I highly recommend Fade To Black and Putney Swope. I'll look over your list!

E: it won't let me look at the checklist.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 8, 2021

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

MacheteZombie posted:

I highly recommend Fade To Black and Putney Swope. I'll look over your list!

E: it won't let me look at the checklist.

Did a private/public switch and hopefully this works? https://vschecklist.com/checklist/24039/

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I, Butthole posted:

I'm thinking of forgoing the Barnes and Noble Criterion sale this year to fill out some of the VinSyn stuff instead, simply because it'll be less of a shipping nightmare to Australia and sometimes ya just need that balance, y'know?

Seeking recommendations on my wishlist for stuff I'm missing: https://vschecklist.com/checklist/24039/

I think I'm definitely gonna grab all 3 Forgotten Gialli boxes and round out the roster of blaxploitation stuff. There's also some titles like Putney Swope and Fade to Black that I've been eyeing off on since their release, but if there's anything y'all wanna make a case for me blind-buying, hit me.

I thought Mausoleum was pretty underwhelming, and from what I've heard Xtro 3 isn't good.

I'd highly recommend looking into There's Nothing Out There, Psycho Cop Returns, and Red Mob.

There's Nothing Out There is a super low budget monster movie that's some how so annoying it's charming, Psycho Cop Returns feels like it should be a movie someone is watching on The Simpsons and is just a ridiculously cheesey slasher, and Red Mob is a solid action movie that's pretty interesting because it's a Russian movie made right around the time that our relationship was being normalized, and it seems like they had access to a bunch of surplus military vehicles because near the end of the movie they're just blowing everything up.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
I'll second Red Mob if you've got any interest in action films.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I can recommend Night Owl, Putney Swope, and Patty Hearst from your list. Night Owl is a great indie film that started the artsy New York urban vampire film that you got with The Addiction and Nadja.

Patty Hearst is in some ways a stylistic sequel to Mishima at least in the first half, but it’s an interesting film about Patty Hearst’s story told from her perspective.

Some of the other films on your list like Decoder I can recommend but with the caveat that know you’re getting into an art film about industrial music. However, a film that’s not on your list that I want to recommend is “In the Cold of the Night”, which is a bonkers and dumb erotic thriller that I love because it’s so stupid.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Did a private/public switch and hopefully this works? https://vschecklist.com/checklist/24039/

I'd definitely snag the 4ks of Dial Code Santa and Tammy and Spookies from your need list. I haven't gotten to my copies of Petey Wheatstraw, Patty Hearst, Penetitiary 1/2, but hear good things about them. I liked Taking Tiger Mountain so I'd toss that one there. Since you mentioned thr gialli sets, I've watched the first 2 box sets and enjoyed them a ton, so if you know you like gialli than you can't go wrong with those.

Other stuff, if you like Disconnected give Pyschos in Love at, same writer/director. It's a very silly comedy that's kind of a fake documentary at times.

Don't Panic is a silly Mexican slasher that I'd say is worth a watch. Action USA was a blast, Deadline was a lot of fun.

I really liked the candy snatchers but it has 2 strong scenes of sexual violence so if that's a line for you then I'd skip it. I mention it because I thought it was a really solid exploitation film and has a proto-coen bros vibe to it where inept criminals get in over their heads to darkly comedic effect.

I recently got and watched Scary Tales from VinSyns AGFA releases and I liked that a lot. No budget vhs horror that's silly at times but charming.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Psychos in Love is great and I’m also going to recommend CHRISTMAS EVIL as always. I don’t know if it’s on your list or not, but buy one anyway. Or buy three or four, hand them out to friends and strangers.

Prosthelytize for Christmas Evil!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Christmas Evil is very good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Petey Wheatstraw, Liquid Sky, and The McPherson Tape* are all worth it. Spookies is unwatchable trash that appears to be two lovely movies cobbled together to make a single charmless slog.

*Featuring no one by that name!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Spookies is garbage but it's fascinating garbage. If you're a lover of weird, esoteric poo poo like I am then you might love it. I bought it on a blind buy, watched it on edibles and loved it but was utterly confused by it. I can't even imagine sitting through it sober. I guess the question is if you buy movies that you think you'll actually "like" or if you like to own some things just for the novelty of owning them. If you lean towards the latter, Spookies is worth buying and watching, because I guarantee you'll never watch anything like it.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
I’ll say I didn’t like Spookies it felt like a chore to watch. Christmas Evil and Raw Force are my two favorites so far. And the Angel movies.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Def. need to get Petey Wheatstraw. Is Human Tornado back in stock? I already have Dolemite.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Spookies has a werewolf with a prosthetic hand bury a child in real time and it is never explained. It’s just a baffling movie in every regard.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I don't regret buying Spookies but I doubt I'll watch it again unless I'm really desperate :shrug:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Spookies is enjoyable for the creature effects but, as has been echoed by everyone else here, it’s 2 movies cobbled into one with no rhyme or reason. However, the doc “The Unmaking of Spookies” on the disc is great.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I always get Spookies mixed up with Chillers.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

101 Films just put out their own release of Spookies. Any word on which is better?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I think Spookies would make a great double feature with Phantasm. Two movies with inexplicable dream logic, but for entirely different reasons, and I think they'd complement each other well. I'll leave it up to you which movie you should watch first.

Or Spookies and House II. Not House, just House II.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like the Incident at Lake County better than McPherson tape tbh. Maybe it’s nostalgia since that’s what I saw. But I like that there’s more alien shanagins.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

King Vidiot posted:

I think Spookies would make a great double feature with Phantasm. Two movies with inexplicable dream logic, but for entirely different reasons, and I think they'd complement each other well. I'll leave it up to you which movie you should watch first.

House II and Spookies would be such a fantastic “total nonsense haunted house party” double bill that I’m shocked I haven’t seen it suggested before.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

King Vidiot posted:

I'd also nominate THINGS as a double feature for either of those. It feels a bit like a Canadian Evil Dead made by people suffering in the aftermath of head trauma, but the surreal disjointedness is funny and unsettling. It'd also go fine with a Polonia Bros movie, or any number of other SOV flicks.

edit: Come to think of it, what's a good double feature with HAUSU? PHANTASM? GODZILLA V HEDORAH? Mescaline?

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 10, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I like the Incident at Lake County better than McPherson tape tbh. Maybe it’s nostalgia since that’s what I saw. But I like that there’s more alien shanagins.

Isn’t Incident In Lake County the actual McPherson Tape (the one about a family actually called the McPhersons) recut into a fake Paranormal Borderline-style documentary by UPN? As I recall, the ending for the tv documentary of the aliens freezing the Space Cases kid and taking his camera happens in the middle and the end is a much creepier part of the aliens just walking into the house and the parents not caring while the kid freaks out as the video dissolves into static.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Incident in Lake County is a remake of the McPherson Tape that was done for UPN (or Fox?) in the late 90s iirc.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That yeah. It cost a lot more. But I dug the spooks in that one a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasn’t it a movie first that UPN bought and recut with narration and talking heads? In college, one of my friends found the director’s website and he had the original for sale along with the McPherson Tape, explaining that it was different from what UPN broadcast.