Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

beepsandboops posted:

My hope is that this is the result of Michael Mann being particular about the release or something. Who knows

I wouldn't go that far considering Mann is notoriously bad for tinkering with his work and not always for the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cacator posted:

I wouldn't go that far considering Mann is notoriously bad for tinkering with his work and not always for the better.

You'll never guess what song Michael Mann always thought should play over the ending!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gripweed posted:

You'll never guess what song Michael Mann always thought should play over the ending!

Yakety Sax?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Gripweed posted:

"Shaddup You Face" by Joe Dolce?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I can't find it so pretend I posted that goon made video where someone replaced the ending music from Chinatown with Tubthumping.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean I just assumed Walk of Life

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

I can't find it so pretend I posted that goon made video where someone replaced the ending music from Chinatown with Tubthumping.

Well if we're playing that game, I made this years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20wsNqmTPxI

Edit-- Also, I got you fam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsaJVMO8vNE

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Love editing movies into dumb goofy stuff

https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1403554599412371458?s=19

.https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1403166748287901696?s=19

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Someone post Shawshank with the Tiny Tim song.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There used to be a ending edit for The Thing where it listed the fate of everyone. So everyone is dead of various causes of froze to death, except MacReady’s hat.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Casimir Radon posted:

There used to be a ending edit for The Thing where it listed the fate of everyone. So everyone is dead of various causes of froze to death, except MacReady’s hat.

My Alien video is an homage to that video, which also used Sweet Home Alabama.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vince MechMahon posted:

Someone post Shawshank with the Tiny Tim song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2VfSeiuoVY

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

As far as I'm concerned, anyone replacing soundtracks will never top this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB0xH7GhwSY

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fine I'll do it myself.

https://youtu.be/7EJdxTTwi7Y

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gripweed posted:

The Heat is On?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

It was "I Want to Hold Your Hand"

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Kino is releasing a UHD of “The Silence of the Lambs” on Oct. 19.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Boywhiz88 posted:

Kino is releasing a UHD of “The Silence of the Lambs” on Oct. 19.

I was hoping for them to release Manhunter, but I’ll accept this.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Hannibal UHD was excellent so I'm excited that it's Kino Lorber that's doing this one. I'm also glad I resisted the temptation to buy the Criterion.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I stopped buying boutique bluray releases (minus vinegar syndrome subscription fun) because the moment I buy one the 4K gets announced. I can only buy The Thing so many times ... but what’s one more.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think it would be for the best if you kept buying boutique bluray releases. The needs of the many and whatnot.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vinegar syndrome is doing a pop up shop in my city next week. I'm gonna go.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m watching Runaway Train from KL, and the transfer is really dark. Like, uh, really really dark. Like so dark that it’s hard to tell what’s going on. I can’t tell if this is on purpose.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Xenomrph posted:

I’m watching Runaway Train from KL, and the transfer is really dark. Like, uh, really really dark. Like so dark that it’s hard to tell what’s going on. I can’t tell if this is on purpose.

Is it running away in a dark tunnel?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

dorium posted:

Is it running away in a dark tunnel?

Nah, it’s in the Alaskan wilderness in daytime with snow everywhere, and it’s still dark as poo poo.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
It shouldn't be particularly dark. https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=15621&d2=9938&s1=164538&s2=96544&i=0&l=0

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah my copy is way, way darker than that.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

E.G.G.S. posted:

I stopped buying boutique bluray releases (minus vinegar syndrome subscription fun) because the moment I buy one the 4K gets announced. I can only buy The Thing so many times ... but what’s one more.

Why I keep hesitating to buy the better Blu-Ray version of The Fugitive. I know the 4K will be announced a week or two after I buy it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah my copy is way, way darker than that.

I suspect the your TV isn't calibrated. Runaway Train's cinematography definitely takes from the 70s era of cinematography, which is all dark, low light, naturalistic cinematography and that style in particular lends in itself to having to watch it on a calibrated screen. Too bright and everything looks washed out with milky blacks, too dark and everything looks crushed with no shadow detail.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Why I keep hesitating to buy the better Blu-Ray version of The Fugitive. I know the 4K will be announced a week or two after I buy it.

Ohhh the Fugitive would be an instant buy for me. Basically, I want Harrison Ford's entire 90's filmography on UHD. I've been meaning to buy the Jack Ryan set but I've held off because it's painful to buy a 5-film set when you really just want two of them(I already own Hunt For Red October).

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Prince of the City is coming to Warner Archive blu-ray on Aug 24! Incredible (and underseen these days) Sidney Lumet movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

VoodooXT posted:

I suspect the your TV isn't calibrated. Runaway Train's cinematography definitely takes from the 70s era of cinematography, which is all dark, low light, naturalistic cinematography and that style in particular lends in itself to having to watch it on a calibrated screen. Too bright and everything looks washed out with milky blacks, too dark and everything looks crushed with no shadow detail.
I’m not sure it’s my TV, all the other movies I’ve watched on it have looked great. Or are you saying I need to calibrate it a certain way specifically for this movie? Because that’s dumb.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

I’m not sure it’s my TV, all the other movies I’ve watched on it have looked great. Or are you saying I need to calibrate it a certain way specifically for this movie? Because that’s dumb.

No it's usually just a simple setting you find in the video options that will be like "standard, calibrated, calibrated dark" and a few others. Obviously the specific terms will change from brand to brand but usually there's one in there called something with the word "calibrated" in it.

But that would be a one-time adjustment that you wouldn't have to change for each movie. Is it possible you just haven't watched anything with that gritty 70's cinematography yet so you just hadn't noticed an issue up to this point?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Anyone ever bought one of those Blu-rays that’s mocked up to look like a VHS tape?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Anyone ever bought one of those Blu-rays that’s mocked up to look like a VHS tape?

…yes. I think for me it’s Krull. I grabbed it because it was cheap and my bro and I had seen it’s trailer a few weeks prior. We’re planning to watch it one of these days, just gotta find the time to waste.

Basebf555 posted:

Ohhh the Fugitive would be an instant buy for me. Basically, I want Harrison Ford's entire 90's filmography on UHD. I've been meaning to buy the Jack Ryan set but I've held off because it's painful to buy a 5-film set when you really just want two of them(I already own Hunt For Red October).

That’s me and Indiana Jones (only want Raiders), MiB (only want the first), and those loving Columbia collections.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

…yes. I think for me it’s Krull. I grabbed it because it was cheap and my bro and I had seen it’s trailer a few weeks prior. We’re planning to watch it one of these days, just gotta find the time to waste.

That’s me and Indiana Jones (only want Raiders), MiB (only want the first), and those loving Columbia collections.
Does the case just look like it’s from a rental store with a tape popping out or is it more involved than that.

I added Hudson Hawk to another order I was making because it was $10, and I have a soft spot for that goofy movie.

‘Memba when Bruce Willis was a star?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Casimir Radon posted:

Kinda, with stranger things for a friend.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

I bought the Silent Rage one. It's just the slipcover to make it look like it's from a VHS rental place. It's a regular case underneath it with the original poster.

Silent Rage rules, by the way. No one told me Chuck Norris did a sci-fi thriller that is basically a slasher film, in 1982. With a synth score! And William Finley!

I'm double dipping on that Silence of the Lambs 4k. The Criterion release is amazing, and I will absolutely buy a Demme movie twice. Married To The Mob 4k UHD when? New Melvin and Howard blu-ray when?? (The Twilight Time blu-ray is like $40)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

No it's usually just a simple setting you find in the video options that will be like "standard, calibrated, calibrated dark" and a few others. Obviously the specific terms will change from brand to brand but usually there's one in there called something with the word "calibrated" in it.

But that would be a one-time adjustment that you wouldn't have to change for each movie. Is it possible you just haven't watched anything with that gritty 70's cinematography yet so you just hadn't noticed an issue up to this point?

That’s possible, I’ll check the TV settings when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Xenomrph posted:

Everything is graded on calibrated monitors so it'll look the same across anything that's properly calibrated. Depending on the movie, it can still look good if it's not calibrated (particularly movies that are brighter and use more of the headroom in the dynamic range) but if it's something that's designed to be presented a certain way (like "The Godfather"), it will absolutely not look right unless you're viewing it on a calibrated monitor.