Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

tonedef131 posted:

Halloween 4 is terrific

It really is. Thank you, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

In case anyone else recently purchased the new Dune 4k set from Arrow, the UHD disc may be defective. Some people, including myself, are finding that playback will freeze around the 46-48min mark and jump forward in time. I bought my set from Grindhouse Video and they've already set up a replacement disc order for me. I had also emailed Arrow who were willing to start a replacement as well.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
the perfect cut of halloween 4

https://youtu.be/AN681J0-9qI

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I watched the Halloween 4 UHD last night and I'm very very happy with it. It's one of those movies where my only experience has been cable t.v. over the years so it obviously feels like a pretty big jump to go from that to UHD, and just as a movie I've always thought it was one of the best sequels in the series. Better than H20 in my opinion.

The scene in the gas station is top tier Loomis.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

tonedef131 posted:

Halloween 4 is terrific

It honestly has one of the best endings I've seen in a horror film.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like Halloween 2. It’s not great, but it has memorable moments.

Halloween as a franchise has to be the absolute weakest of all the classic slashers, though. It’s got 1-3, uhhh H20 kinda, 2018, and that’s it. NoES has 1-5 and New Nightmare, F13 has 1-6 and Freddy vs Jason.

The problem with slasher films is that the signal to noise ratio is real low and almost all of them should have been one and done.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

The problem with slasher films is that the signal to noise ratio is real low and almost all of them should have been one and done.

That's where nostalgia comes in. For most people the slasher films they remember most fondly are the ones they saw when they were young, and that's exactly what slashers are meant for. It's not a subgenre that's really designed for people to analyze it decades later, a big part of the appeal is "you had to be there", I think moreso than a lot of other genres.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got my binder (a Case Logic 208 capacity expandable one) :getin:

Time to start filling this sucker up! I'm not getting rid of the original cases, don't worry. This will just be easier to flip through and grab discs out of.

I used to have these for CDs and DVDs back in the day and loved how easy they made going through my collections. Not sure why it took me this long to get one for Blus/UHDs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

That's where nostalgia comes in. For most people the slasher films they remember most fondly are the ones they saw when they were young, and that's exactly what slashers are meant for. It's not a subgenre that's really designed for people to analyze it decades later, a big part of the appeal is "you had to be there", I think moreso than a lot of other genres.

See I saw all that poo poo at "that age" and I think it's all garbage. I liked it when I was in my early teens anyway. Most of them are too bland to even be fun schlock.

Rageaholic posted:

Got my binder (a Case Logic 208 capacity expandable one) :getin:

Time to start filling this sucker up! I'm not getting rid of the original cases, don't worry. This will just be easier to flip through and grab discs out of.

I used to have these for CDs and DVDs back in the day and loved how easy they made going through my collections. Not sure why it took me this long to get one for Blus/UHDs.

You're dead to me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Sirotan posted:

In case anyone else recently purchased the new Dune 4k set from Arrow, the UHD disc may be defective. Some people, including myself, are finding that playback will freeze around the 46-48min mark and jump forward in time. I bought my set from Grindhouse Video and they've already set up a replacement disc order for me. I had also emailed Arrow who were willing to start a replacement as well.

I just checked mine and thankfully it seems fine. Hopefully this won't be a widespread issue.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

You're dead to me.
As I fill this thing up, plastic pieces are popping off my original cases and some discs have come out of their holders, and I even try to take extra care of my movies, so moving to the binder seems extra necessary!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
about to hear the silver shamrock theme in dolby atmos baybeee , what a weird world

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A few years ago a friend of mine went to the UK. So one day I get an email from him and I open it up to see a video link. I clicked it and it was him standing in front of the real Stonehenge singing the Silver Shamrock theme.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Did Halloween III predate toys that tv shows could interact with? I’m pretty sure I’ve heard of toys that could be triggered to do something by something happening on a specific tv show but I can’t remember exactly what and when they were.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Casimir Radon posted:

Did Halloween III predate toys that tv shows could interact with? I’m pretty sure I’ve heard of toys that could be triggered to do something by something happening on a specific tv show but I can’t remember exactly what and when they were.
You might be thinking of Winky Dink and You: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winky_Dink_and_You

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Casimir Radon posted:

Captain Power, though that was after Halloween III

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Captain Power, though that was after Halloween III
That’s the one I was thinking of. Kind of wild if one of the writers managed to dream up the technology first.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Slasher movies loving rule

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
I keep my BDs in their cases on shelves, but I just couldn't justify my DVDs taking up two entire book-cases when I hardly ever watch them anymore, so I went for this option:

Now they take up eight boxes like this.

Steen71 fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 12, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How dare you

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Steen71 posted:

I keep my BDs in their cases on shelves, but I just couldn't justify my DVDs taking up two entire book-cases when I hardly ever watch them anymore, so I went for this option:

You have committed a crime

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Steen71 posted:

Jesus wept.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

You guys are loving killing me. I'm gonna go clear my mind by gently caressing my Blu-ray shelf.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A Nightmare on Elm Street blu-ray collection is $25 right now.

Chucky 7 film box set is $22 right now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I dunno I have less of an issue with it if it's a large DVD collection that is mostly obsolete at this point. Like, I have maybe 8 or 10 DVDs that I still actually watch sometimes(mostly classic horror movies) so that's no problem to fit those on my shelf with the rest of my collection. Luckily for me I really didn't get into collecting movies until the blu ray era so it's just not something I've ever had to consider. If I had a few hundred DVDs sitting on a shelf that never get watched I'd probably want to figure out a better storage solution for them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I dunno I have less of an issue with it if it's a large DVD collection that is mostly obsolete at this point. Like, I have maybe 8 or 10 DVDs that I still actually watch sometimes(mostly classic horror movies) so that's no problem to fit those on my shelf with the rest of my collection. Luckily for me I really didn't get into collecting movies until the blu ray era so it's just not something I've ever had to consider. If I had a few hundred DVDs sitting on a shelf that never get watched I'd probably want to figure out a better storage solution for them.

Yeah, I can understand that. I sadly still have a lot of DVDs because I bought a ton of DVDs in my 20's, although I think what takes up the most space is the complete/incomplete series I have on DVD, Buffy, Angel, Sliders, Babylon 5, Full Metal Alchemist Futurama, Firefly, Family Guy, they all take up a bunch of space on my shelf, and I'll probably never upgrade any of them.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I got my first DVD on May 14, 2000 and I've been collecting ever since. So when I browse through my collection it's like a visual history of how my tastes have evolved over time. Putting my DVDs in a binder would be like putting a piece of myself... in a binder? I dunno.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Use spindles, save way more space

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Welp, guess I own all the Nightmare on Elm Street movies now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

Welp, guess I own all the Nightmare on Elm Street movies now.

Same.

So when the new 4k UHD box set gets announced next week, please thank dorium and me for our sacrifices.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've stopped buying Blu-ray releases whose UHD releases seem inevitable. NES definitely fits the bill.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've stopped buying Blu-ray releases whose UHD releases seem inevitable. NES definitely fits the bill.

I'll just upgrade and sell/give away my other copies like I've been doing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mentioned this in the October thread but the Halloween 5 UHD is pretty funny because in a vacuum it looks drat good, but the film doesn't really make any attempt to hide the fact that they were shooting on bright sunny days and the HDR just amps that up and makes it worse. It's kinda distracting when you see Halloween decorations in the background of a scene but then the glare from the sun beating down on the car windshields is blinding. Doesn't feel like October at all. It's like a much more extreme version of what some of you were talking about with the UHD of the first Halloween.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Rest easy, Warner will never do the NOES series in 4K unless it's an upscale. They didn't even do new scans for the blu rays.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

I got my first DVD on May 14, 2000 and I've been collecting ever since. So when I browse through my collection it's like a visual history of how my tastes have evolved over time. Putting my DVDs in a binder would be like putting a piece of myself... in a binder? I dunno.

I don't know the day I bought my first DVD, I only know it was the "unrated" version of American Pie :negative:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Origami Dali posted:

Rest easy, Warner will never do the NOES series in 4K unless it's an upscale. They didn't even do new scans for the blu rays.

Yea reviews seem pretty even across the board for the entire series. does Warner still own rights for all the movies or is it all split up between them and New Line now?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

dorium posted:

Yea reviews seem pretty even across the board for the entire series. does Warner still own rights for all the movies or is it all split up between them and New Line now?

Warner owns New Line, so they own it all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bought a dirt cheap combo DVD pack with the first four NOES movies a while back, really just so I could make sure I always had access to Dream Warriors. But part of why I've never spent any real $$$ to upgrade to blu ray is the series always seems to be available on one of the major streaming services. I don't remember an October when they weren't available, right now they're all on HBOMax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

Warner owns New Line, so they own it all.

I assume it's the same transfers that are on HBO Max streaming?

If so, they still look great and owning them on physical will still be an improvement.

Some of the Nightmares will be getting 4ks next year. With the success of the Friday the 13th box and the Halloween 4ks, they'd be ridiculous not to announce them before Q3 of 2022.