Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

So, when will I expect a link for a burned Blu-Ray from a shady site?

Most of the stuff is just movies duped off of commercial VHSs and I have to really sift for the gems. The best stuff I have is the home movies from strangers, and even though someone sold them to me I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable digitizing them. If I were to come across any spooky content worth saving I'd definitely get my poo poo together with the digitizing, though. It's also pretty tedious because so many tapes are just dupes with 8 hours of movies on them.

My grandpa's stuff is actually really rad so far, though. Outside of the two, ehem, blue movies, the Mickey Mouse cartoon, and the Lauren & Hardy short he had, it's all home movies from when he was in the Navy in the Philippines and California beaches in the 60s. Everything from tourist footage to weapons tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I bought a pro VCR about a decade ago with the intention of digitizing cool stuff I thought would never make it to Blu-ray. Then I found out other people had beat me to it. Then everything I was interested in did make it to Blu. So now it just sits in a closet.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I finally have a working VCR again and am getting back into VHS collecting, god help me.

I've got two words for ya: Banzai Runner

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

If you're gonna collect VHS make sure you get a CRT or they'll look like crap. They're getting harder to find too, get one while you can still find them on the curb or at thrift stores for a buck.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

We have our vhs deck feeding through a Betamax deck and a converter box to record from the computer back to tape so we’ve been playing newer movies on blu and duping them to tape to get a more natural analog effect from recording them onto old beat up tapes then redigitizing the tapes back into the computer.

It’s a trip watching stuff like the JJ Star Trek movies looking like it was recorded from an old television broadcast.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

ruddiger posted:

We have our vhs deck feeding through a Betamax deck and a converter box to record from the computer back to tape so we’ve been playing newer movies on blu and duping them to tape to get a more natural analog effect from recording them onto old beat up tapes then redigitizing the tapes back into the computer.

It’s a trip watching stuff like the JJ Star Trek movies looking like it was recorded from an old television broadcast.

You should re edit the films and crop them to Fullscreen. Go all in and pan and scan too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Betamax people are crazier still. I was listening to BBC World Service the day they announced the of manufacturing Beta tapes (Nov 2015) and some guy was yelling about how Sony supposedly lied to the Beta community while he was being interviewed.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Boinks posted:

You should re edit the films and crop them to Fullscreen. Go all in and pan and scan too.

It’s more my roommate’s project than mine, but he’s already making some pretty cool stuff with the setup.

https://vimeo.com/581566276

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I finally have a working VCR again and am getting back into VHS collecting, god help me.

Hey guys, it's moooooooovie tiiiiiiiime

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Heavy Metal posted:

I've got two words for ya: Banzai Runner

Inviting those three comparisons is badass

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Xenomrph posted:

Do you have Tammy & the T-rex?

I do.

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, that's why I get tempted to source a VHS player

VCR.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hey you found a miles!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Hey you found a miles!

Yeah I found one on ebay for the actual retail price instead of some stupid markup a while ago.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I think my mom still has the Tammy and the t-Rex Recorded vhs my sister did because she was in love with Paul walker as a preteen and we’d all watch that movie over and over again just for a laugh growing up. Very odd that it’s become this big cult thing over the years when it’s something we’d watch every time it was on the USA Network.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

I think my mom still has the Tammy and the t-Rex Recorded vhs my sister did because she was in love with Paul walker as a preteen and we’d all watch that movie over and over again just for a laugh growing up. Very odd that it’s become this big cult thing over the years when it’s something we’d watch every time it was on the USA Network.

It's because the movie is loving bonkers. Have you seen the R-rated version?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

It's because the movie is loving bonkers. Have you seen the R-rated version?

Nah I haven’t. It’s always been the tv edit. Maybe I’ll buy the 4K one of these days.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
May have gone a bit crazy with a Zavvi spend for the following:

Stalker - The Criterion Collection
JSA – Joint Security Area
Battles Without Honor & Humanity Collection
Creepy (Masters of Cinema)
Matinee
Primer + Upstream Color: Two Films by Shane Carruth

Arrow's Shocktober the next day made me get 40% off the following:

Daniel Isn't Real
Animal Factory
The Deeper You Dig
[REC]
Six Gothic Tales
The Dead Center
Hagazussa

Pretty decent haul.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

One of the most interesting things about the early days of the VCR is that it was initially never intended to play pre-recorded content. It was marketed merely as a device to record TV shows, which was pretty drat cool at the time ("Watch TV shows when YOU want!"). Hence the name. The ability to buy pre-recorded stuff came later.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

Nah I haven’t. It’s always been the tv edit. Maybe I’ll buy the 4K one of these days.

It adds an interesting dimension to the whole thing. The R-rated version was the intended film but for some inexplicable reason they decided to edit it heavily and sell it as a kids film (though it still had a PG-13 rating). The intended version of the film makes it very clear that the people involved knew exactly what they were making and the movie is much more self aware. It's still batshit crazy but what you have is a great camp comedy. The edited version is just a mess for obvious reasons but it remains a fascinating curio because of its backstory and because the product of someone deciding to make it something its not still produced a really bizarre movie. Obviously some of the comedy remains but its kind of stripped of context so it instead seems like a really inept kids film. Especially since it's very much not a kids movie even with the cuts. IT has this whole air of "Who the gently caress is this even for?".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Dang I guess I should've preordered Scream. Seems to be out of stock already.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I kind of envy people who actually watched the TV/home video edit of Tammy and the T-Rex first. It looked bad and insane from the RedLetterMedia review, and when I finally got ahold of the R rated cut I thought it'd be equally bad and laughable but it was actually genuinely... good? I was shocked by how entertaining it really was.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Betamax people are crazier still. I was listening to BBC World Service the day they announced the of manufacturing Beta tapes (Nov 2015) and some guy was yelling about how Sony supposedly lied to the Beta community while he was being interviewed.

Yeah I heard James Rolf took the news pretty hard.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I preordered the steelbook which was scheduled for delivery today and they just emailed that it’s been delayed. Bummed because I was going to do a screening of it Friday.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Spatulater bro! posted:

One of the most interesting things about the early days of the VCR is that it was initially never intended to play pre-recorded content. It was marketed merely as a device to record TV shows, which was pretty drat cool at the time ("Watch TV shows when YOU want!"). Hence the name. The ability to buy pre-recorded stuff came later.

It's probably why laserdisc failed in the market. Laserdisc and CED Discs were designed around pre-recorded content. And while sure, there were drawbacks to the format, in a world without VCRs, it's quite possible that people would have gone with laserdiscs. You didn't see a mustachioed Leonard Nimoy pitching VHS decks, did you?

But recording was the killer app. Want to watch M*A*S*H but your son has a school play? Now you can watch both!

Also, cassette was just an evolution of the open reel video formats. They didn't really have any thing outside of blank tapes available. And now, you can just use a cassette instead of threading a tape!

Had Sony allowed RCA to run the tapes at a slower speed, who knows what would have happened to Beta, but because of their insistence on picture quality, they lost the race.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Criterion is having a flash sale today. "For the next 24 hours, all in-stock Blu-rays and DVDs are on sale at 50% off SRP at criterion.com."

It's October, and I feel a distinct lack of Jan Švankmajer blu-ray boxset in their offerings. Is any label planning to release his movies in the US any time soon?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

yeaaa, I'm waiting on the steelbook that just got pushed back to Nov. 17th.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ugh, I guess I have to watch Scream in 1080p this year like a loser

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I wanted the steelbook for Scream they had listed at Best Buy and it's marked as sold out. Just so I'm understanding clearly, it's delayed until the middle of November, right? I wake up at 4am for work, and I went to the BB site around that time today to get it for in-store pickup and it was already marked as sold out.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ultraviolence123 posted:

I wanted the steelbook for Scream they had listed at Best Buy and it's marked as sold out. Just so I'm understanding clearly, it's delayed until the middle of November, right? I wake up at 4am for work, and I went to the BB site around that time today to get it for in-store pickup and it was already marked as sold out.

That's what amazon told me regarding their allocation of a Scream steelbook last night is that they wont be getting it till next month.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is basically status quo to expect going forward with physical media. It's a niche thing to start with, and then you have various supply chain disruptions and whatnot that make all of these release dates pretty fluid unless you're talking about something like a Marvel/Disney release.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

At least my Halloween UHD's are arriving on Thursday. looking forward to checking out Halloween 3.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SALE

https://www.arrowvideo.com/shocktober-sale-2021.list

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Goddamn the close ups in Silence of the Lambs are ridiculous in 4k. Hannibal feels uncomfortably close(which is of course, the point).

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Here's the British one, for the Region 4 Boyz

https://www.arrowfilms.com/shocktober-sale-2021.list

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

dorium posted:

At least my Halloween UHD's are arriving on Thursday. looking forward to checking out Halloween 3.
Just watched mine. Best I've ever experienced this movie looking/sounding. So glad to have this ridiculous thing in 4K now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I bought some stuff because of sales.

Criterion:
The Devil’s Backbone
Night of the Living Dead
Dr. Strangelove
The Wages of Fear

Arrow:
Crimson Peak
Dead-End Drive-In

Kind of hope Shout! doesn’t do one now and make me be dumb.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I am passing because I got stupid pets who have stupid bills and I have stupid bills and rent coming up.

I will not buy anything...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pre-ordered the UK release of the Thin Red Line Criterion blu-ray, along with The New World Criterion edition and some long over-due purchases of the Eureka! release of Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Cure and the Godfather Coda re-edit of The Godfather Part III since both were at reduced prices too.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Dead-End Drive-In

Good choice. Absolutely deserves more attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I am so god drat boring