Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So wait, because I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this: I own The Purge movies (except for The Forever Purge because that one sucked rear end) on UHD, and according to the blu-ray.com reviews, those were digitally filmed at 2.8K and finished at 2K and the UHDs are upscale jobs. What's the difference between those and Censor if Censor was also finished at 2K? Is it that The Purge movies had Universal Studios backing them and Censor doesn't?

(I loved Censor and owning it on UHD would kick rear end, but alas :( )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My Criterions came this morning. Arrow tracking says today but I kind of doubt it’s going to get from Illinois to the Twin Cities and then to my house all in the same day.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic posted:

I need to set a rule for myself that I only buy UHDs that I know I'm going to rewatch. I bought Saving Private Ryan, and I'm not really sure why I did. While it looks good on UHD, that movie is punishing and I'm not sure I ever want to watch it again :negative:

Yep I went through the same thought process with Saving Private Ryan. I have a cheap blu ray that I got years ago for like $8, but I ended up deciding not to upgrade to the UHD because whenever I think about watching the movie again I get physically ill. I think I've only watched the blu ray the one time.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Juice 4K UHD coming! Good complement to Menace II Society and Boyz N Da Hood, but definitely the clunkiest of the 3. Definitely would have been interested to see where Tupac would go with acting.

Also, looks like a non-LE Akira 4K is up on Amazon! Woohoo!

Also, Blu-Ray.com has a review of Mulholland Drive 4K and it's a banger.

Lastly... some newer Arrow releases on big sale at Amazon including Children of the Corn and Legend! The LE of Dune is down to $34.99, same price as the non-LE at this point.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also, Blu-Ray.com has a review of Mulholland Drive 4K and it's a banger.
"VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED."

Can't wait to see it in a few weeks :dance:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Never seen it, pre-ordered it off the strength of that review and being a fan of other Lynch.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boywhiz88 posted:

Never seen it, pre-ordered it off the strength of that review and being a fan of other Lynch.
Oh you're in for a wild ride!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I want Yokai Monsters but that's a steep fuckin price

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Best Buy has the Scream UHD steelbook available for store pickup. Depends on your location, but most stores in my area (Twin Cities) have it in stock.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ultraviolence123 posted:

Best Buy has the Scream UHD steelbook available for store pickup. Depends on your location, but most stores in my area (Twin Cities) have it in stock.
Thanks. And like that an hour and a half later I have mine.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Rageaholic posted:

So wait, because I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this: I own The Purge movies (except for The Forever Purge because that one sucked rear end) on UHD, and according to the blu-ray.com reviews, those were digitally filmed at 2.8K and finished at 2K and the UHDs are upscale jobs. What's the difference between those and Censor if Censor was also finished at 2K? Is it that The Purge movies had Universal Studios backing them and Censor doesn't?

(I loved Censor and owning it on UHD would kick rear end, but alas :( )

I mean you can blow up a 144p to 4k. From what it sounds like from VS, they just weren’t satisfied with how it looks and scrapped it. Meanwhile, I don’t think Universal gives a darn how good the 4K upscale looks as long as they can sell it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Rageaholic posted:

"VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED."

Can't wait to see it in a few weeks :dance:

Sold out on Amazon, so ordered it off Zavvi. It then goes to an office run by the NZ postal service, who then ships it to NZ.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Now I’ve got my Arrow stuff too. A+! would set all my money on fire again!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

More Arrow stuff on-sale at Amazon. I’m p close to pulling the trigger on the Cat of Nine Tails even though I’ve never seen it and don’t need it.

EDIT: I bought it

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 26, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

More Arrow stuff on-sale at Amazon. I’m p close to pulling the trigger on the Cat of Nine Tails even though I’ve never seen it and don’t need it.

EDIT: I bought it

You really can't go wrong with an Argento 4k UHD.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

You really can't go wrong with an Argento 4k UHD.

Must be a sign, my Deep Red Arte Original 4K just shipped. I think I'm gonna have an giallo weekend sometime soon.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Must be a sign, my Deep Red Arte Original 4K just shipped. I think I'm gonna have an giallo weekend sometime soon.

Mine should be delivered tomorrow. Arte Originale version here as well!

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Just got the Arrow bluray of The Black Cat that I ordered from Amazon and it came in a blue colored case, which I have never seen from Arrow. Did I get a bootleg or did Arrow use blue cases for some of their releases?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

CRAYON posted:

Just got the Arrow bluray of The Black Cat that I ordered from Amazon and it came in a blue colored case, which I have never seen from Arrow. Did I get a bootleg or did Arrow use blue cases for some of their releases?

Their original manufacturer of clear cases stopped making them so they went to blue cases for a bit when they were looking for another source of clear cases.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Bought a copy of the Universal Monsters 4K set. Been a very very very long time since I’ve seen those. Like on 8MM long.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

VoodooXT posted:

Their original manufacturer of clear cases stopped making them so they went to blue cases for a bit when they were looking for another source of clear cases.

Thanks for this bit of info, makes me feel better about opening it up. Everything else looked perfect when comparing to another unopened Arrow release so it's probably fine.

Pretty funny how confused it made me though, really shows how good these boutiques are at building their brand. Felt like getting a new blu in and HDDVD case.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I bought some stuff off that Indicator sale and realized later a couple items aren’t region free. Guess it’s finally time to buy a region free player.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Maaaaaan I just got the Tremors UHD. Seen the movie a few dozen times on all the formats and I can't get over how good this looks.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Wrong thread

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

Maaaaaan I just got the Tremors UHD. Seen the movie a few dozen times on all the formats and I can't get over how good this looks.

It’s my favorite UHD I own, and tied for the most watched with Bram Stokers Dracula and Cliffhanger. For me the format shines the most with filmed movies that I watched dozens of times on recorded from TV VHS, you just can’t believe how good it looks. When I watch stuff from recent years I’m just kinda like, yeah that’s how it’s supposed to look and don’t really appreciate it.

Tremors always defaults to the mono track in my player though so don’t forget to switch to 5.1 before starting it, that track sounds excellent.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

50% Criterion at BN:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/criterion/_/N-1p0i

Locked in Uncut Gems 4K and Mulholland 4K

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Goddamnit, I still have a stack of Criterions from prior sales I haven’t even watched yet. :sigh:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I just spent $100 at their own sale so I’m leaving this alone. No more buying Blu-rays for at least a month.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Bought way too much poo poo recently as well, but now I'm stocked up for a while :getin:

Blu-ray
Mulholland Dr. Criterion (wanted to pick up Fear & Loathing while I was at it but the shop didn't have it in stock)
Constantine
Hellboy
Land of the Dead

DVD
Austin Powers 1-3
Alien Collector's Edition
Blazing Saddles 30th Anniversary (this looks unbelievably good on a 43" 1080p for a DVD somehow. better than most in my collection)
The Producers
Last House On The Left Unrated
Reincarnation (pretty sweet Japanese horror film by the guy who did Ju-on: The Grudge)
Clerks 2
Mallrats
Jackass Complete TV & Movie Collection
Scary Movie 1-4
The Matrix trilogy (now I'm refreshed and ready for Resurrections in December)

e: I almost forgot, I also got Lost In Space.....on VHS. it was 50 cents and I couldn't say no

barnold fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 29, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tim Whatley posted:

50% Criterion at BN:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/criterion/_/N-1p0i

Locked in Uncut Gems 4K and Mulholland 4K

I'm still lolin at the loving Citizen Kane cover art.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
K

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Ahhh man this is probably how I finally upgrade my Tenenbaums DVD

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Indicator went and extended their sale a few days. Probably means they won’t send out stuff till that’s done.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I price-matched my Best Buy pre-order’s w B&N.com. Good news: I realize I had ordered the regular BD of Uncut Gems, so I ordered the 4K UHD and then had it price-matched.

Even better? They had an oops moment and accidentally applied too much of a refund and didn’t realize it. I’m getting the UHD for under $10! Muahahhaha! This is how I win!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Wong Kar Wai set… yes? No? I saw the new Chungking this last year, so I’m not going in with any frames of reference.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Wong Kar Wai set… yes? No? I saw the new Chungking this last year, so I’m not going in with any frames of reference.

That's a whole can of worms because there was a controversy about him drastically changing a lot of the color grading for that set. I'm not qualified to give an opinion on it but I know it was a pretty big point of discussion.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Fallen Angels was also cropped to a much wider ar. Happy Together is missing a small amount of voice over because the print was damaged and he didn’t want to use another source. And the strangest change imo is they all got new matching end credits. Still it’s a good deal at the sale price. The movies are still great even if a lot of the choices made around this release are kind of baffling.

The previous versions of Chungking Express, Fallen Angels, Happy Together, and In the Mood for Love are all available streaming on the Criterion Channel.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
edit: No longer relevant.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 30, 2021

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Got to watch my Halloween III UHD last night. Popping colors, and the film quality was wonderful too.

The movie itself was also really engaging and creepy. Wonderful imagery, and that little jingle…. Oof! I was left unsettled when it was over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

My Scream UHD Steelbook just went out for shipping and is due tomorrow. Right at the end of the month but I’m still gunna watch it as soon as it arrives.