Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
in my opinion, no amount of color grading can take away the magic of those films, especially chungking express

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watching the UHD of A Clockwork Orange and it's rather astounding how good this 50 year old movie looks :eyepop:

I still haven't watched my 2001 UHD yet but I really need to, especially since blu-ray.com gave it a glowing review.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I tried to hold off, but the reviews and the power of the Halloween season has compelled me to pick up the Universal Classic Monsters UHD collection. I don't know if I'll get a chance to watch any of them tonight, as I've been holding off on viewing my Halloween III 4K until today, and the wife wants to watch Trick r Treat, but I'll make time later this week. Side note that we've watched the of Scream Factory Halloween UHDs recently and they all look really nice and currently are the definitive Halloween editions. My copy of Halloween II had a weird skip about 50 minutes in, but that stopped after I pulled the disc out and put it back in, so it must have been a freak error. The UHD format has also made me appreciate Halloween 5 a lot more than any previous viewing, including when I bought tickets to Dead Poets Society and then snuck into to see this instead during its original run. It's still a really stupid movie with a lot of dummy decisions, but there are some cool chases and the last 20 minutes is a lot of fun, including the extremely goofy ending. The mask looks absolutely dreadful though, maybe the second worst mask after H20. Final complaint is that my copy of Halloween III is in an eco case and I hate these cheap pieces of garbage. For the premium price Scream Factory charged they could have used a regular case. I'll have to hunt down a replacement black case to appease my weaponized OCD.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Finally got Jaws on 4K and it looks amazing. Nice lenticular packaging and artwork, comes in a slipcase with a booklet

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1454831275672358929

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1454850401770033156

I now have both of these pre-ordered!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’ll probably wait on a mullholland drive upgrade, but my pre-existing pre order for for uncut should drop to that price soon.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
bought my first arrow disc. Cant wait to let my friends go into southland tales completely blind

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

John Romero posted:

bought my first arrow disc. Cant wait to let my friends go into southland tales completely blind

That’s on my to-grab.

Just watched The Bird w the Crystal Plumage 4K. Another great grab. The colors were WOW.

Now my gal are wrapping up Halloween w HOUSE. It’s been a couple years and I forgot how much of a fever dream it is from the jump.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Is Adam Sandler the actor with the most starting roles in a criterion

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My Indicator stuff shipped today. Delivery estimate is for Saturday.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Fixins posted:

Is Adam Sandler the actor with the most starting roles in a criterion

Mifune probably.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Against all odds, Shang Chi is getting a 3d home release in Japan. This might be the first MCU 3D home release I skip out on because my understanding is the movie has a lot of dialogue subtitled. Have to wait for impressions to see if the release has English subtitles.

I can't believe anywhere is still getting 3d home releases in 2021.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Mifune probably.

Only other possibility I can think of is Von Sydow because of all of his collaborations with Bergman. Maybe Marcello Mastroianni or Guilietta Masina?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Shintaro Katsu as Zatoichi seems likely to have the most starring roles to me.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Cloks posted:

Shintaro Katsu as Zatoichi seems likely to have the most starring roles to me.

I can’t think of anyone else who would come close, 26 movies is a lot. I was curious so I googled a bit and came up with Takashi Shimura who is in at least 29, although he wasn’t the lead in most. Worked with Kurosawa a lot and was also in some of the Godzilla and Zatoichi films.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

gey muckle mowser posted:

I can’t think of anyone else who would come close, 26 movies is a lot. I was curious so I googled a bit and came up with Takashi Shimura who is in at least 29, although he wasn’t the lead in most. Worked with Kurosawa a lot and was also in some of the Godzilla and Zatoichi films.

I was curious about Godzilla and Haruo Nakajima plays him in 12 movies plus he’s in 3 Kurosawa films.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm really interested to see how this Juice UHD turns out. It's an Ernest Dickerson film and if I remember correctly it's got a lot of style like all of his stuff does so I imagine it would look great with 4k/HDR.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The actor with most lead roles to be part of the criterion collection is Andy Lau who has almost 200 credits to his name(on LB even if you take out shorts, tv, docu films, and unreleased he still has 176 film credits, 100 more than Adam Sandler!), and you can probably count something like 150 films where he is the lead or co-lead. Amitabh Bachchan is probably the only other (major) lead actor in film history that can beat Andy Lau, and he is not in the collection.

Only counting films in the collection itself Katsu is likely the correct answer.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
My Black Widow 3d disc arrived today.

The package didn't match the ebay ad so I assumed they pirated the disc. The labels were homemade so I was annoyed but decided to pop it in my player. Both the 3d disc and the 4k disc were the normal blu ray version with menus stripped out. Complete ripoff, going to be annoying to get my money back through ebay.

don't buy from the seller marysite289115

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Electronico6 posted:

The actor with most lead roles to be part of the criterion collection is Andy Lau who has almost 200 credits to his name(on LB even if you take out shorts, tv, docu films, and unreleased he still has 176 film credits, 100 more than Adam Sandler!), and you can probably count something like 150 films where he is the lead or co-lead. Amitabh Bachchan is probably the only other (major) lead actor in film history that can beat Andy Lau, and he is not in the collection.

Only counting films in the collection itself Katsu is likely the correct answer.

Eric Robert’s looks down on them all

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got Hobbs & Shaw on UHD, completing my Fast & Furious UHD collection. That movie is really stupid. It's definitely not the best of the F&F movies, but it's one of the craziest, and that's saying a lot for a series that has featured a Pontiac Fiero going into space.

This video remains accurate and hilarious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIY5b1JMvGs

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber just confirmed they licensed 31 films from Sony for Blu-ray, though all but seven have already had US Blu-rays. Most likely, they got a lot of the titles previously licensed to Twilight Time and Mill Creek that haven't been reissued on their own yet. Per their insider, there's one 40s film, nine 50s, three 60s, nine 70s, six 80s, three 90s. They're hoping to get UHD rights to one of the titles, as well.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Pirates of the Caribbean 1 (and I'm assuming all of them) are getting UHD w/ HDR and Atmos on Jan 3rd. It's one of my faves, so I'm stoked. Plus I bet a neat steel at BB.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
No physical release for Malignant on the horizon. What a bummer.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dragonshirt posted:

No physical release for Malignant on the horizon. What a bummer.

There is. It's out at the end of the month.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

CPL593H posted:

There is. It's out at the end of the month.

Ah, no kidding! I was checking the 4K release site. If BR is all we get, I'll take it!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Dragonshirt posted:

Ah, no kidding! I was checking the 4K release site. If BR is all we get, I'll take it!

Lol, Blu-Ray.com comments have people who have been complaining about no UHD for Malignant.

Akira UHD is an upgrade from the BD, right? I regret not getting the SE based on the art. But anyway, I’m willing to upgrade it! I can only assume they’ll get the HDR right on the first run.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I feel like Malignant isn't a movie that needs a premium release.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boywhiz88 posted:

Akira UHD is an upgrade from the BD, right? I regret not getting the SE based on the art. But anyway, I’m willing to upgrade it! I can only assume they’ll get the HDR right on the first run.

I know the first release had zero extra detail in it, but not sure if the newer one is the same print.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

CPL593H posted:

People complaining about Malignant not getting a UHD, and I’m over here complaining about no Blu-Ray release for Fargo S3 over 5 years later.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

It absolutely does.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Every movie deserves a premium release

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

yoohoo posted:

Every movie deserves a premium release

Bounce got a 2 disc special edition. That was, like, the normal DVD of it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boywhiz88 posted:

anime on UHD is interesting. There's two schools of thought on it because some japanese production houses have very strict rules about either going full hog no touch ups or DNR (Ghost in a Shell is an example of that) or you go in and produce it with DNR and smooth out the coloring and shading in a way that can be displeasing to some, but honestly watching Space Cobra and Akira with that treatment I wasn't totally put off by it. the HDR in Space Cobra is exemplary and I didnt really have issues with the Akira release either. You have to see it and see how you feel. I dont mind it.

Audio tracks are a whole other ordeal.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Malignant is destined to be a sweet UHD release from Scream Factory in about five years, but I want it now.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Oooh, BFI just announced a 4K UHD for The Proposition coming out in February 2022.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

Malignant is destined to be a sweet UHD release from Scream Factory in about five years, but I want it now.

$60 second sight limited edition

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

MacheteZombie posted:

$60 second sight limited edition

release the Wan cut!

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Is it worth getting the Skywalker saga 4k set or just get the movies piecemeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Fixins posted:

Is it worth getting the Skywalker saga 4k set or just get the movies piecemeal

Just get the ones you care about? Idk, I got 2 of the 3 new ones, but I have no urge to complete em. Haven’t touched prequels because I don’t like them, and I didn’t grab OT because it’s just a shittier version of the films in the sense of all the changes since even the SEs. I would buy a 4K OT that’s based on the Faces VHS release in a heartbeat. Until then, gently caress George and Disney!