Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I didn't know the ps5 even did UHD. neat.

No way to connect it to my computer and use it to rip discs tho huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm happy using my PS5 as my UHD player. It made some noises when it was horizontal that freaked me out but it's been much quieter vertically.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I have to think consoles playing UHD will prove to be really important for the media platform. It seemed to do great things for every previous generation of digitized physical media, so I expect it to do the same again.

The PS3/4 was the first and frequently only blu ray player ever owned by most people I know. There just doesn’t appear to be mass market interest in spending $200+ on a player, but if you already have one then you’re probably pretty likely to give it a shot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The blu ray.com review of The Addams Family UHD makes it sound like a must own. And I guess the fact that they have a review up means it's actually coming out next week, no more delays.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The Sony X700 which has been my workhorse the last few years is on sale: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-ubp-x700-m-streaming-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-with-hdmi-cable-black/6454118.p?skuId=6454118

$150 is as low as I’ve ever seen it, so may as well grab it if you were considering making the jump!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Also, my Menace and Uncut UHDs showed up. They look great, packaging-wise, although my Menace UHD was loose. Some scratches but hopefully nothing that will affect playback.

Menace looks gorgeous. Super nice grain composition and the Dolby Vision is nice.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also, my Menace and Uncut UHDs showed up. They look great, packaging-wise, although my Menace UHD was loose. Some scratches but hopefully nothing that will affect playback.

Menace looks gorgeous. Super nice grain composition and the Dolby Vision is nice.
Nice! I think my Uncut Gems UHD is supposed to be coming on Tuesday.

I'm finally gonna watch my Mulholland Drive UHD tonight.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Boywhiz88 posted:

The Sony X700 which has been my workhorse the last few years is on sale: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-ubp-x700-m-streaming-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-with-hdmi-cable-black/6454118.p?skuId=6454118

$150 is as low as I’ve ever seen it, so may as well grab it if you were considering making the jump!

I grabbed this from Amazon for $148.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Mister Kingdom posted:

I grabbed this from Amazon for $148.

Same here. Mine's even out for same day delivery.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

just got the Dune 4k in the mail from the B&N sale and didn’t realize it was gonna be a steelbook

gross

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Counterpoint: steelbooks are cool and good

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watched Mulholland Drive. That movie has never looked so clear :eyepop: Also I'd forgotten just how funny some of it is. The scene with the bumbling killer is hilarious. I guess Lynch really liked that idea because he did it again in Twin Peaks The Return and it's hilarious there too.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
https://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2021/11/criterion-will-have-to-recall-citizen-kane-4k-bluray-package/

Bummer

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yeah, bummer indeed, you made me read Jeffrey Wells.

I assume they'll just do a trade in for the disc, assuming that it's not a problem limited to captures.

But seriously, don't read Jeffrey Wells. What I mainly know the man for is getting huffy because he wants films from the 1950s to not be released in widescreen even if they were shot for that ratio. See his whining on Anatomy of a Murder.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Jeff Wells left his hat in a hotel room and thought that meant he had a reservation for next year's Sundance

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I just saw it randomly and posted it. Mine should come next week so we can see

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Getting blu-rays to play on Windows 10 is way too much of a pain in the rear end, but I have done it

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rageaholic posted:

drat, I'm watching A New Hope on UHD and it looks good :stare: It doesn't look as new as the new Star Wars movies, obviously, but it doesn't look 40+ years old either.

This transfer rules. I've gotta compare it to 4K77, which admittedly I haven't watched in a while, but yeah. This was definitely worth the $13. Not sure if the same is true of Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, but I'll watch those later and compare.

It's a shame this is the Special Edition, though. For that reason, it will always be inferior to 4K77.

Your post inspired me to get the OT while it was on sale. Empire and Jedi are on backorder but my local Best Buy had A New Hope. I agree, the transfer rules. I don't think I've really noticed the random scuff marks on Vader's helmet before. Skipped a little around the tie fighter attack scene when they escape the Death Star but beyond that, def worth it.

Velcro Crucifix
Oct 7, 2013
Can confirm about the Kane bluray- mine gets cloudy at 30 mins in.

"You won't forget, will you, about the quality? And tell them to wrap it up in a nice box set, or something, or they'll stop them at the desk. That young doctor I was telling you about, he's got an idea he wants to keep me alive."

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My UHD set of Citizen Kane is arriving today, so I'll check as well. Apparently, the issue is that the wrong color space was used in the Blu-ray encode. Kind of surprised that this could slip by quality control, but who knows anymore.

Can't stress enough that the UHD is said to be completely fine. I might put up an unboxing video comparing it to the 2011 set and the 1984 laserdisc.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, bummer indeed, you made me read Jeffrey Wells.

I assume they'll just do a trade in for the disc, assuming that it's not a problem limited to captures.

But seriously, don't read Jeffrey Wells. What I mainly know the man for is getting huffy because he wants films from the 1950s to not be released in widescreen even if they were shot for that ratio. See his whining on Anatomy of a Murder.

Not just 50s, but well into the 60s. He claimed a director was senile for having Criterion use the original 1.75:1 framing, even though it's all over contemporary documents and even the leaders on the camera negative. The lead guy at 3D Film Archive, Bob Furmanek, did a massive amount of research revealing that American studios switched to widescreen surprisingly fast and practically nobody was still shooting for 1.37:1 by the end of 1953 outside of independents.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I got my 4K player and threw in my copy of Blade Runner and it's glitchy as gently caress.

Stops and starts all over the place.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I got my 4K player and threw in my copy of Blade Runner and it's glitchy as gently caress.

4ks are much finicky than blurays, might need to wipe it down and try again, if there's some scratches than that might the culprit.

Also try another disc to make sure it isn't the player.

I felt pretty silly having to wipe off a disc for the first time in years when I tried out my 4k player

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

MacheteZombie posted:

4ks are much finicky than blurays, might need to wipe it down and try again, if there's some scratches than that might the culprit.

Also try another disc to make sure it isn't the player.

I felt pretty silly having to wipe off a disc for the first time in years when I tried out my 4k player

I'll try cleaning next. I'm watching the regular BR and it's fine.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

The first player I just got from Amazon wouldn't read discs at all. They overnighted me a replacement and it's read every disc I've thrown at it so far.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The 8-movie UHD set of Fast and Furious is $50 at Amazon! And the Corenetto Trilogy UHD set is $20!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mister Kingdom posted:

My Blade Runner 4K was wonky too... in two spots it skipped ahead about 30 seconds. I did try wiping it down, to no avail. I bought it on eBay and managed to get a refund.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's weird, I've definitely had consistent issues with a few discs(John Wick 2, Man of Steel, The Matrix Reloaded) but never had any issue at all with Blade Runner.

Also there was an update for the Sony X700 some months ago that actually seemed to take care of those playback issues I mentioned above, John Wick 2 would freeze at the same spot every single time and after the update it played perfectly.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Can anyone recommend me some twitter accounts to follow that share UHD disc release info/deals? Trying to find something to replace https://twitter.com/HighDefDiscNews because this dude spends half the time bitching about how many people unfollow him.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Boywhiz88 posted:

The 8-movie UHD set of Fast and Furious is $50 at Amazon! And the Corenetto Trilogy UHD set is $20!

loving gently caress why do I keep browsing this thread, I picked up the corenetto trilogy along with ghost in the shell (animated) and the JJTrek trilogy. Talked myself out of the Bourne set (the review for identity is awful) and Ghostbusters. I'm really struggling to maintain my 4k disc purchase rules.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kingtheninja posted:

loving gently caress why do I keep browsing this thread, I picked up the corenetto trilogy along with ghost in the shell (animated) and the JJTrek trilogy. Talked myself out of the Bourne set (the review for identity is awful) and Ghostbusters. I'm really struggling to maintain my 4k disc purchase rules.

Rules are meant for breaking

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I also passed on the Bourne set, I bought the series on blu ray for cheap a few years ago and the UHD reviews didn't do much to entice me to double dip.

My Addams Family UHD should be here tomorrow, excited for that one.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve never had any issues with my Blade Runner UHD. It’s one of the best looking movies I have so I’ve put it on kind of a lot.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I just watched Ghostbusters on 4k.

The image is clear and crisp, but kinda perfunctory. I was expecting to be more dazzled by the colors and textures and stuff, and it’s not really boosted by HDR as far as I can see.

At $10 it’s perfectly fine. I upgraded from DVD, and it is an upgrade, but I don’t see this being an improvement over a blu-ray, or even a good example of that 4k boost old classics get.

Edit: also, the cover is a little ugly. I’m spoiled by Arrow and Shout including original covers in addition to the new cover. The cover with the Ghostbusters logo on a black background is perfect, I wish that was an option.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 23, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There are a few scenes where I think Ghostbusters definitely sees a boost from the HDR(the rooftop scene with Gozer, the scene where the ghosts escape the containment unit, a few others) but if you add it all up it wouldn't make up a big percentage of the runtime.

And yea it's a case where you're talking about a beloved, iconic movie so there's been many incremental improvements to the physical releases over the years. It's not a case where the UHD was replacing a shoddy half-assed blu ray, there was a really really nice "mastered in 4k" blu ray that I think most people agree stands up to the UHD for the most part and even might be better in some areas(like grain management, the grain on the UHD can be a bit chunky and distracting in some scenes).

Now, Ghostbusters 2, that's where it's at. Ghostbusters 2 looks fantastic on UHD.

Franchescanado posted:

Edit: also, the cover is a little ugly. I’m spoiled by Arrow and Shout including original covers in addition to the new cover. The cover with the Ghostbusters logo on a black background is perfect, I wish that was an option.

Yea this is definitely one of my best UHD purchases in the last few years: https://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters...T4%2CB08DG5HVJ6
Love the simple design on that case.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 23, 2021

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1463210370529587202?t=JxxxOnTFEQ0rGipUwUdP5w&s=19

DUNC UHD steel up for pre-order from BB

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Does anyone know how the Spider-Man trilogy uhd transfer is?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Spacebump posted:

Does anyone know how the Spider-Man trilogy uhd transfer is?

pretty dang great. bought the Raimi trilogy and the Amazing Spider-Man set recently and they all look tremendous. Just rewatched all 7 Spider-Man movies recently.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a (Raimi)Spiderman set on the bluray.com release calendar for mid-January, I guess the previous set is out of print. They're still gonna charge like $75 for the new set, kinda annoying I would've hoped for a bit of a discount considering the movies have been available on UHD for like three years already.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Oh dang, I didnt know that. I snagged the Raimi set for $30 a couple weeks ago and $20 for the Amazing movies.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254991439029?hash=item3b5eac94b5:g:nyAAAOSw~n9grBmn

$35 on ebay for the amazing set

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3137548700...%3ABFBMuJ775Klf

$47 for the trilogy

both worth it IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea $50ish is about what I'd expect to pay for a UHD trilogy that's been on the market for 3+ years. Like, if you go buy the Matrix Trilogy right now or Back to the Future trilogy you aren't gonna pay more than $50.