Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Probably not.

Francis Ford Coppola did it for television so he could get money for Apocalypse Now, and he's not really a fan of it. So I'm doubtful as long as he's alive, they're ever going to issue it.

I also think it hurts the movie because it fundamentally changes the story structure. It's ultimately Michael's story, and the scenes with Vito in 2 contrast the rise of the Corleone's with the moral collapse of Michael and the family falling apart.

It's funny, I've heard this forever and no doubt it's true, but it's SO weird that this cut he hates was suddenly on HBO a few years ago and then vanished. Why would they even bother? Part of me thinks... maybe they had to run it again to maintain a trademark or something? But like, it's The Godfather, isn't that trademark pretty much maintained always??

In any case- I enjoy the chronological cut as a Godfather fan who has seen the movies 300 times. It goes without saying no normal human should see them this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

david_a posted:

Manually adjusting the audio delay on the receiver is my black hole of productivity (the receiver can’t do UHD passthrough so video goes straight to the TV). I can tell when the audio & video aren’t lined up but it’s subtle enough that I keep second guessing if I adjusted it correctly and it drives me bonkers.

You really need to stop trying to set up your AV receiver using spaghetti westerns.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Rocco posted:

It's funny, I've heard this forever and no doubt it's true, but it's SO weird that this cut he hates was suddenly on HBO a few years ago and then vanished. Why would they even bother? Part of me thinks... maybe they had to run it again to maintain a trademark or something? But like, it's The Godfather, isn't that trademark pretty much maintained always??

In any case- I enjoy the chronological cut as a Godfather fan who has seen the movies 300 times. It goes without saying no normal human should see them this way.

I'm guessing that was a specific deal with HBO that put another nice chunk of money in Coppola's pocket, versus just adding that cut into a blu ray box set with a bunch of other cuts of the same films which probably doesn't make a difference in how much money the set is gonna bring in.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

HBO actually paid for the "Novel for Television" cut to be newly remastered rather than Paramount or Zoetrope.

Autochrome
Aug 21, 2015
I have never seen either of the television cuts of the Godfather and wish they would do a commercial release of at least Part's 1 and II. Personally I don't care for the dual narrative in Godfather Part II, and I think it makes it a very uneven movie. Pacino's performance as Michael in Part II is electric though, and whenever I watch it I am always impatient to move back to the Michael narrative. I feel like watching it in a chronological order might resolve some of this. I'm in Canada so I don't even know if it would ever end up on our weird HBO pipeline - we didn't get any of the US simultaneous theatre releases in the past year.

I bought Coda last year during the pandemic and thought it was a big improvement on Part 3. I do note as well through some background reading that the theatrical version of Part 3 has never actually had a home video release, so it's interesting that they finally decided to do it for this set.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
To quote Derek Zoolander, the Sense and Sensibility UHD is really really really really ridiculously good looking.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

OOOOOH just got a shipping notice for the Dead Heat UHD. What a movie to get the UHD treatment.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

dorium posted:

OOOOOH just got a shipping notice for the Dead Heat UHD. What a movie to get the UHD treatment.

I haven’t pulled the trigger on it yet, a little birdie indicated that we’re getting some Doris Wishman in February so I’ll probably grab whatever that is (I’m assuming it’s Double Agent 73 since Brad Henderson recently posted about it on Letterboxd), Dead Heat and maybe Fortress of Amerikkka next month.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium posted:

Same. I can’t wait.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

2022 already being a huge year for releases, with The Hitcher 4k, Martin (4k?), Trick or Treat (rock's chosen warrior Sammi Curr finally getting his due), and Dream a Little Dream all coming soon, rumors of Fright Night part 2 and a 4k for The Lost Boys. All essential purchases. But now Scorpion Releasing with an RKO outta nowhere just announced 1977's unreleased revenge epic The Farmer:

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product..._eid=cc3c9800b9

Crazy Bill Olson from Code Red has been honeydicking people with this movie for a good 15 years, putting the trailer on his discs and demanding something like $100,000 to release it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSIJ1EC9uMw

Finally coming out.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

ultraviolence123 posted:

2022 already being a huge year for releases, with The Hitcher 4k, Martin (4k?), Trick or Treat (rock's chosen warrior Sammi Curr finally getting his due), and Dream a Little Dream all coming soon, rumors of Fright Night part 2 and a 4k for The Lost Boys. All essential purchases. But now Scorpion Releasing with an RKO outta nowhere just announced 1977's unreleased revenge epic The Farmer:

Crazy Bill Olson from Code Red has been honeydicking people with this movie for a good 15 years, putting the trailer on his discs and demanding something like $100,000 to release it

Finally coming out.

Thanks for this info, that’s awesome

e: code red are the most hated boutique label by a country mile, right?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Egbert Souse posted:

HBO actually paid for the "Novel for Television" cut to be newly remastered rather than Paramount or Zoetrope.

Kinda shocked at the way HBOMax became the first streaming app I open after the kids are down. Got it for free with my loving prepaid phone plan.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

ultraviolence123 posted:

Finally coming out.

Martin is getting a UHD and blu-ray release but I'm pretty sure they're pumping the brakes on it because they want to see if they can do something with the director's cut.

In other weird release news, God Told Me To is getting a UHD release.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

Kinda shocked at the way HBOMax became the first streaming app I open after the kids are down. Got it for free with my loving prepaid phone plan.

For a movie person I think it's currently the best streaming sub you can have. It's just a very very deep pool of movies from a wide range of time periods and genres and a lot of it seems semi-permanent, i.e. you know they aren't losing the rights for it anytime soon.

CPL593H posted:

In other weird release news, God Told Me To is getting a UHD release.

Let the Larry Cohen UHD era begin! Gold Told Me To should have some classic NYC footage that will look amazing on UHD.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 21, 2022

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

looking forward to that God Told Me To UHD.

https://twitter.com/blunderground/status/1483965810662010880?s=20

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

For a movie person I think it's currently the best streaming sub you can have. It's just a very very deep pool of movies from a wide range of time periods and genres and a lot of it seems semi-permanent, i.e. you know they aren't losing the rights for it anytime soon.

Let the Larry Cohen UHD era begin! Gold Told Me To should have some classic NYC footage that will look amazing on UHD.

Did you know HBO Max also has Doom Patrol?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Autochrome posted:

I have never seen either of the television cuts of the Godfather and wish they would do a commercial release of at least Part's 1 and II. Personally I don't care for the dual narrative in Godfather Part II, and I think it makes it a very uneven movie. Pacino's performance as Michael in Part II is electric though, and whenever I watch it I am always impatient to move back to the Michael narrative. I feel like watching it in a chronological order might resolve some of this. I'm in Canada so I don't even know if it would ever end up on our weird HBO pipeline - we didn't get any of the US simultaneous theatre releases in the past year.

I bought Coda last year during the pandemic and thought it was a big improvement on Part 3. I do note as well through some background reading that the theatrical version of Part 3 has never actually had a home video release, so it's interesting that they finally decided to do it for this set.

Looking at HTF, apparently the camera negative to III had always been conformed to the theatrical cut. The 2007 4K remaster of the "home video" cut was the first time the extra footage was resourced from camera negative, though fades and dissolves were mostly from the dupe negative cut into the negative (as was normal for nearly any movies pre-digital). Apparently, the new 4K remaster went back to camera negative for every single shot. Also looks like I and II may have had a few shots upgraded, but sounds like Paramount more or less replicated the 2007 restorations with newer scans and in 16-bit 4K with HDR.

Overall, III having the theatrical and home video cuts as extra features is due to them having to scan the negatives anyways for the Coda version. Coppola seems to be absolutely fine with multiple cuts on releases of his films on UHD and Blu-ray as seen by Apocalypse Now and The Outsiders.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Egbert Souse posted:

Interesting- but why, then, would they only keep it up on HBO Go and whatnot for a limited time? It was only there for a few months! The whole thing doesn't make any sense, I tell ya!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

To quote Derek Zoolander, the Sense and Sensibility UHD is really really really really ridiculously good looking.

In the same vein, some does Stripes, even if I dozed off when they stole the RV. There are some simply beautiful dawn and dusk shots.

dorium posted:

Vinegar Syndrome hasn't shipped mine yet :argh:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

yeah they have the best library by far, it's my most watched service except maybe Shudder.

Worst actual app though, it crashes and gets hung up all the time on my TV

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Did you know HBO Max also has Doom Patrol?

And Peacemaker

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

gey muckle mowser posted:

Worst actual app though, it crashes and gets hung up all the time on my TV

Built in TV apps are dogshit garbage for the most part and at some point just stop working. They're right at the bottom of their list of priorities, and getting a reputable streaming box is generally the best option. I don't use the Max app often, but never noticed an issue on my Apple TV.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Built in TV apps are dogshit garbage for the most part and at some point just stop working. They're right at the bottom of their list of priorities, and getting a reputable streaming box is generally the best option. I don't use the Max app often, but never noticed an issue on my Apple TV.

I noticed the other day that my 4k Firestick downscales everything except Prime to 1080p. If I want to stream any other service in UHD I have to use the in TV app. They work fine fortunately, but just a warning that you may want to check the resolution of your inputs from Amazon devices.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I had a $10 points credit from Best Buy to use so I got this version of the Akira UHD: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Akira-4K-Blu-ray/303772/#Overview. I remember there were problems with an earlier version, is this one fine now?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I ordered Dead Heat and New York Ninja from VinSyn. I watched the former years ago and enjoyed it, and the latter looks interesting enough.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Casimir Radon posted:

I ordered Dead Heat and New York Ninja from VinSyn. I watched the former years ago and enjoyed it, and the latter looks interesting enough.

New York Ninja is very much like a Cannon Films/Golan and Globus ninja movie. You'll enjoy it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Shiroc posted:

I had a $10 points credit from Best Buy to use so I got this version of the Akira UHD: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Akira-4K-Blu-ray/303772/#Overview. I remember there were problems with an earlier version, is this one fine now?

They should’ve corrected any discs in circulation by now. Otherwise it’s a pretty straightforward process getting a new disc replacement.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

VoodooXT posted:

New York Ninja is very much like a Cannon Films/Golan and Globus ninja movie. You'll enjoy it.

New York Ninja owns

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
for PC and HDR TV users: I found out you can make special K inject HDR into SDR video by pairing it with software like mpc-be and vlc. It's been working out pretty well for me.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1487081665340096513

8 Diagram Pole Fighter is a new scan done by Arrow so I guess I'm probably upgrading from the 88 Films release

edit: and yesterday’s Eureka announcement for region b/free people. Dreadnaught rules I preordered it with Knockabout https://twitter.com/Eurekavideo/status/1486806479957024772

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 28, 2022

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
My copy of Dead Heat came in! I've never seen nor heard of it but all you other goons enthusiasm for it made me super stoked. Watching it tonight!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Dead Heat fuckin rules.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

aperfectcirclefan posted:

My copy of Dead Heat came in! I've never seen nor heard of it but all you other goons enthusiasm for it made me super stoked. Watching it tonight!

It's real good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s an underrated horror comedy masterpiece.

It pushes its premise so hard in the best way.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Mine has been rescheduled to tomorrow. I loving hate FedEx, when it was media mail I'd get it like a day after I got the shipping notice.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Just pre-ordered Arrow's 4K of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. I'd been meaning to get my hands on a copy of that film for a while.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

edogawa rando posted:

Just pre-ordered Arrow's 4K of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. I'd been meaning to get my hands on a copy of that film for a while.

I haven't seen that since I saw it on VHS in like 1996 probably, I bet that 4K is gonna be aces

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Happy Hippo posted:

I haven't seen that since I saw it on VHS in like 1996 probably, I bet that 4K is gonna be aces

I hate to be That Guy but Henry is one of those rare movies that I think actually benefits from being watched on a crappy video tape. I usually scoff when people say this but I actually think this for once, especially in the context of what might be that film's most disturbing scene. It's technically a great film but not one I'd ever sit through again.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I hate to be That Guy but Henry is one of those rare movies that I think actually benefits from being watched on a crappy video tape. I usually scoff when people say this but I actually think this for once, especially in the context of what might be that film's most disturbing scene. It's technically a great film but not one I'd ever sit through again.

I'd sorta disagree with this. Like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, watching it on a grainy VHS doesn't exactly hurt and does have a certain charm (maybe moreso for Henry than TCM since Henry is shot in 4:3), but both are also movies that, properly cleaned up and restored, look kind of stunning.

Henry is a brutal, brutal movie but outside of that scene you mentioned, I find it kind of shockingly watchable. Just goes to show what a great job McNaughton did directing it that something with content so hideous is so compelling to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'd sorta disagree with this. Like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, watching it on a grainy VHS doesn't exactly hurt and does have a certain charm (maybe moreso for Henry than TCM since Henry is shot in 4:3), but both are also movies that, properly cleaned up and restored, look kind of stunning.

Henry is a brutal, brutal movie but outside of that scene you mentioned, I find it kind of shockingly watchable. Just goes to show what a great job McNaughton did directing it that something with content so hideous is so compelling to watch.

I've been like "Raaaghhaahhhaahh" about people saying this about TCM for years so I get the irony of me saying this. Granted it's been a long time since I saw Henry so I'll take a seat if I remember wrong but that film uses the aesthetics in a completely different way. TCM is all about the bright colors and seeing things in high detail. Henry deals more with a dreary sleaze.