Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think I need to get this. Looking at their site, is Cemetary Man as good as it looks in the trailer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

YES

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Nerdietalk posted:

Apparently I got a little bit tipsy last night and bought Red Rock West and Inspector Ike from Vinegar Syndrome, but I love the former movie so much that I'll happily accept the impulse purchase into my life.

I bought red rock west as a blind buy and it kicked a ton of rear end. Great time.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Both my Abyss and Roadhouse UHD arrived!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Nerdietalk posted:

Apparently I got a little bit tipsy last night and bought Red Rock West and Inspector Ike from Vinegar Syndrome, but I love the former movie so much that I'll happily accept the impulse purchase into my life.

Inspector Ike is a bunch of fun.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Arrow announced their June lineup

UK gets: Madman 4K, Withnail and I 4K, and Nightsiren
US and Canada get American Gigolo 4K
Everywhere gets Mute Witness 4K

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

But yeah I honestly started buying movies again because of the enshitification of streaming services. The fact this video is all 100% factual at the time of making is insane

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

My Godzilla vs Biollante 4K arrived yesterday afternoon. It's in one of the slim-ish 4K cases, albeit a one-disc one.

While purchasing some two-disc replacement 4K cases from Vinegar Syndrome to combine the package with the Biollante blu-ray to make it a 4K+Blu-Ray set, I also blind-bought Luz. I hope it's decent.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 28, 2024

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Luz is a pretty rad movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

dorium posted:

Right?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

14 of these motherfuckers in HD just for volume one, hell yeah

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Mr E posted:

I think I need to get this. Looking at their site, is Cemetary Man as good as it looks in the trailer?

Cemetery Man is excellent, the last great classic Italian horror.

Anyone on the fence about the Bruceploitation collection should know that there's like 100 of these films and not all of them are any good but most of them either have some weird poo poo that makes them worth watching like Bruce Lee vs Dracula or 3 cloned Bruces together, or enough good moves from genre greats like Bolo and Hwang Jang Lee. Some are straight up solid martial arts flicks, some are train wrecks for beer and pizza night and this collection has a good spread of both it looks like. The Cameroon Connection looks super interesting, and Big Boss II was always MIA on home video. Plus they use a ton of pirated classic funk/disco music in their soundtracks.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aez5SDxshJc

If this doesn't sell you on the Bruceploitation box set, I don't know what will. Severin's got a vid breaking down the whole thing, too and it looks like a fever dream. :getin:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aez5SDxshJc

If this doesn't sell you on the Bruceploitation box set, I don't know what will. Severin's got a vid breaking down the whole thing, too and it looks like a fever dream. :getin:

I was really not looking to drop $135 for this but kung fu Dracula….gently caress

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Dr. VooDoo posted:

But yeah I honestly started buying movies again because of the enshitification of streaming services. The fact this video is all 100% factual at the time of making is insane

Filmstruck going down is what made me start buying physical media.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OHUiIsiU6w

Pretty good video but "I'll never have like a hundred movies" made me smile.

A year from now she'll be shooting her vids in front of a wall of discs :unsmigghh:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

dorium posted:

Oh good. Looking at the description, it looked like it would be extremely my poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t even want to think about how many individual releases I own now. I stopped cataloguing new buys years ago.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I just started buying physical movies like two months ago and I'm already up to 49 films so :laffo: at never breaking 100, I'm doomed

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh, is it time to post our blu-ray collections?

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
I don't have anything as fancy as "an account on blu-ray.com" but I can tell you my Jellyfin server only has 527 movies on it, along with 74 TV shows, which I am trying to correct. It is a mix of DVD, Blu-ray and UHD though, and it also doesn't count the ~10 disks that sadly wouldn't rip (including a couple of 4Ks with no decryption keys), and at least 10 TV shows I haven't transcoded yet.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

My Godzilla vs Biollante 4K arrived yesterday afternoon. It's in one of the slim-ish 4K cases, albeit a one-disc one.

While purchasing some two-disc replacement 4K cases from Vinegar Syndrome to combine the package with the Biollante blu-ray to make it a 4K+Blu-Ray set, I also blind-bought Luz. I hope it's decent.

Luz rules. And the director made the upcoming Cuckoo, a badass-looking horror film starring Hunter Schafer out August 9 with a new trailer next week

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

edogawa rando posted:

Oh, is it time to post our blu-ray collections?

I also don't have a bluray dot com membership but all physical media i ripped to a NAS an dthrew plex in front of, been collecting since 2008,

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Suddenly I feel better about my ~1800 movies ripped to Plex

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I do need to start ripping my blu-rays to make local backups of them in the next few months

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm not sure how to post my collection from the Blu ray app, but it says I have 123 movies and shows. I've been trying to keep it around 125 for space reasons. To all of you who are just starting out, you will lose control of it. You will have over 200 and you will love it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

pwn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OHUiIsiU6w

Pretty good video but "I'll never have like a hundred movies" made me smile.

A year from now she'll be shooting her vids in front of a wall of discs :unsmigghh:

I think a big unarticulated source of dissatisfaction with streaming is how passive it is. Back in the day it felt liberating to have access to such a huge library of movies and show. But now the library isn't so huge, and gets rotated through pretty quickly. So if you have Netflix you just watch whatever's on Netflix. That's not a great feeling, especially in a society where so much of who you are is defined by what you consume.

Buying physical media feels like an act of agency compared to streaming. You are making choices and defining yourself.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The videos on her channel average around 1,000 views, but that video has 166,000 views. Become a bluray influencer, minimalist lady. The universe demands it.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Maybe a bit excessive.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I think a big unarticulated source of dissatisfaction with streaming is how passive it is. Back in the day it felt liberating to have access to such a huge library of movies and show. But now the library isn't so huge, and gets rotated through pretty quickly. So if you have Netflix you just watch whatever's on Netflix. That's not a great feeling, especially in a society where so much of who you are is defined by what you consume.

Buying physical media feels like an act of agency compared to streaming. You are making choices and defining yourself.

Watching whatever happens to be on is nothing new. Whether it was the whole family gathering around the radio to flip between the 3 options in their area, or the ABC saturday night movie, or paying for an HBO subscription when it was shiny and new, or catching whatever was showing at the $2 theater down the road a year or two after its original release, or just passively watching reruns until they turned into infomercials.

Today it's incredible that I can watch whatever I want whenever I want, no matter how specific my mood or niche my taste, even if most people don't operate that way. Between my collection of physical media, a vast array of options in digial rentals, people uploading a bunch of old obscure things to YouTube, the ability to hop on an SVOD service one month at a time, and easily-access sketchy streaming video sites a quick Google away, I have the ultimate freedom of choice right now, in a way that nobody ever has before.

The problem isn't nearly as significant as you're making it out to be. Physical media is great and all, and I love that I have quick access to all my favorites movies and shows in extremely high quality whenever I want, but purchasing discs isn't an act of anticapitalist defiance or bravely bucking social norms.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think you can definitely boil things down to two kinds of people, or I guess three kinds of people if we count those that just don't watch movies at all. But of those that do watch movies, you have those that will get the itch to rewatch specific movies, and those that really don't care to rewatch movies at all.

Me and my father are on different sides of that fence. I'll be just going about my day and things will happen or moods will strike me where I'll say "hmmm I really have a desire right now to watch Movie X, I think I'll do that when I get home". For that situation, it's really nice to have an extensive movie collection because it allows me to go with the flow of those moods without having to worry about stuff being available to stream. My father on the other hand, he will never ever just decide to sit down and rewatch a movie he's seen before. Just doesn't happen. If he catches a movie he's seen before on TV, he'll maybe stop and watch a scene or two, then continue channel surfing. It just doesn't appeal to him to make a point of rewatching something he's already seen. To him, a movie night is about choosing something new to watch, rewatching something is a waste of time.

So for someone like that its tough to understand the appeal of keeping physical media because if he had my collection he'd hardly ever use it. And there are a lot of people who feel that way, and streaming is still perfectly fine for them. If my father feels like watching a new movie he has a thousand options and he's never going to run out of choices, so he's happy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

feedmyleg posted:

Watching whatever happens to be on is nothing new. Whether it was the whole family gathering around the radio to flip between the 3 options in their area, or the ABC saturday night movie, or paying for an HBO subscription when it was shiny and new, or catching whatever was showing at the $2 theater down the road a year or two after its original release, or just passively watching reruns until they turned into infomercials.

Today it's incredible that I can watch whatever I want whenever I want, no matter how specific my mood or niche my taste, even if most people don't operate that way. Between my collection of physical media, a vast array of options in digial rentals, people uploading a bunch of old obscure things to YouTube, the ability to hop on an SVOD service one month at a time, and easily-access sketchy streaming video sites a quick Google away, I have the ultimate freedom of choice right now, in a way that nobody ever has before.

The problem isn't nearly as significant as you're making it out to be. Physical media is great and all, and I love that I have quick access to all my favorites movies and shows in extremely high quality whenever I want, but purchasing discs isn't an act of anticapitalist defiance or bravely bucking social norms.

I never said it was. It's entirely an act within capitalism and social norms, it's defining yourself by what you consume. But it feels more active than streaming.

And you're right that watching whatever's on isn't new, but as soon as other options became available people jumped on them.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Criterion just emailed me; the Godzilla boxset's 30% off this weekend

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/VinegarSyndrome/status/1773749299924353403?s=20

Really hope its nothing I gotta have.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

“Out-of-this-world” cinematographe? Cmon 4k Lifeforce!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

“Out-of-this-world” cinematographe? Cmon 4k Lifeforce!

We already have 4k Lifeforce, Shout Factory did it a few years ago. Recommended!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Basebf555 posted:

We already have 4k Lifeforce, Shout Factory did it a few years ago. Recommended!

Yeah but it didn’t have a slipcover.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://x.com/emilehirsch/status/1773719793629266300?s=46

The man himself teasing a 4K?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Getting real cynical about 4k releases of movies that were most definitely the result of a 2k post production process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

Getting real cynical about 4k releases of movies that were most definitely the result of a 2k post production process

Sometimes it's worth it just for the HDR/Dolby Vision, and I'd think Speed Racer would definitely be one of those times.