Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My first dvd was the complete series set of the Clerks cartoon—all 9(?) episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Today's a significant day. I'm helping my mother clean out her garage.

Among the items I'm loading up to take to the thrift store are my last 4x3 CRT monitor (which I bought in 2004 for college) and my second DVD player (also purchased in 2004 for college). Even my mother finally bought a Blu-ray player earlier this year. No more SD-only anything.

Also found a few CEDs (The African Queen, The Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, and the '48 Joan of Arc), as well as a box of Betamax tapes I saved from destruction at my high school back in 2002. The tapes seem to contain recordings of plays, football games, and stuff from the high school from 1981-1983. Probably should contact the county historical society if they want them. I did play one of them with a Betamax player before it died (which was also to be tossed), so they seem to still work.

I guess I should find someone who can transfer the Betamax tapes?

Also, also, I forgot I still had a 60s Bell & Howell 8mm projector and a few reels. I've wanted to retrofit it with LEDs so I don't have to worry about it melting.

History will want those betamax tapes. The things on them are the things people never bother to archive. Do digitize them if you at all find a way to do it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Comparable, but prone to playback errors now from this guy's experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LrPe0rwXOU&t=1323s
Look through his channel if you're interested in failed AV tech.

D-VHS was a good one since he uploaded an early HD digital video demo tape of 1993 NYC. It's like someone time traveled with a camera from 20 years later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4lDU-QLUY

Maybe the last few years of nazi agitation have made me paranoid, but I for sure did a double-take when this dude showed up and objected to being filmed. "Support the third" ...what? I can only think of one thing that was the third of something that those runes were meant to support.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess I never associated the Hell's Angels with screen-print sweatshirts. I really miss living in a time when you could see nazi iconography and reasonably assume it wasn't endorsing nazism.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also most of those season sets are the syndication edits, so they’re missing a few minutes each (plus all that 90s cable mild nudity).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s what I was afraid of. Aren’t the US releases edited as well?

The US releases only go to the third season or something. I think that on both the first season is the full-length Showtime versions and the other two are the syndicated ones.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

codyclarke posted:

With 10% off Member Discount (+ a 20% off coupon sometimes) is it then a loss?

On the subject of physical media, Amazon is expanding its MOD (Manufactured on Demand) significantly very soon, basically making it so that anyone can publish their films through Createspace not just as a DVD-R like they've been able to thus far, but also as BD-R, or multi-disc sets. I think the future of physical media will be a whole lot more MOD titles: if you want a film, its printed for you, if you don't, it's not.

A lot of the academic books I get through Amazon have a barcode and publication date on the back page that’s a day or two after I place the order. I never really thought about it, but I guess amazon is printing those copies or has a very close relationship with whoever is printing those copies. That could be the future of media.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If it’s new it’s likely a bootleg, as the guy who owns the rights is charging a highly inflated amount for it, which is why it’s out of print. The old Dawn blu from before the rights owner tried to gouge people for it was supposedly pretty good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Stink Billyums posted:

I don't usually pre-order but I feel like Kino Lorber deserves my money for bothering to restore the Kolchak movies.

https://www.kinolorber.com/product/the-night-stalker-special-edition-blu-ray
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/the-night-strangler-special-edition-blu-ray

I’m excited as hell for these and hope they do one for the series as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do you think they’ll keep making those music bundle infomercials where old people in comfortable sweaters talk together about the music they remember from when they were young? I can’t wait until they start making those sets with Nirvana and Sonic Youth.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ohvee posted:

Anyone know if the Batman Animated Blu-ray set will be available in non-limited sets? I think I missed the boat on getting that.

It’s not out yet. Amazon doesn’t have it listed for whatever reason, but wb’s web store does.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I really liked filmstruck, but I hope this signals the end of every studio trying to start their own service and maybe means the disney one will be aborted.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Slipccovers are only a thing because some marketing firm in the ‘00s figured out that people were 10% more likely to buy something if they could physically interact with it somehow.

In the biz, they’re called “o-rings.”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Boinks posted:

These slip covers are awesome. My Wal Mart still hasn't stocked most of them though, but I was able to find Krull today. Some of them weren't slips they were just cards covering the fronts.

I don’t know...Mill Creek. Do these releases look ok? They’re not actually vhs transfers like they do for those 100-movie sets, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

It's owned independently - same producer also owns Dawn of the Dead '78.

I howled in despair at reading this. This is the fucker that wants some ridiculous amount for any Dawn release so he can recoup the cost of the hideously expensive 3d conversion he made that nobody wanted, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cloks posted:

I imagine it's like this.

Tag yourself

I’m suicide squad

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Just reshoot all his scenes in everything with Michael McKean.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neon Demon is out of print, or maybe just never got a us release?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What kind of Tupperware do you use to store your inserts and booklets? Or do you just toss that poo poo?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

IUG posted:

I've posted it before in this thread, but just use these instead of those binder bags:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JR2V7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With blurays you can fold right along the spine where a crease is already, and have the side show right on front. DVDs you do have to fold in the middle of the spine however. I reduced my entire DVD and bluray collection to about 7 boxes, because I was sick of looking at them all the time in my living room.

What do you use to store the sleeves? I have a bin I keep them in, but they keep falling over.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

IUG posted:

I use this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EFJY3U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It's okay, maybe not as strongly made as I wanted. I use the same for my CD collection (which I also put everything other than the jewel case in a sleeve), and one of them broke for the divider, which doesn't really matter seeing as I have CDs on either side of it to keep in place, but they work.

Thanks!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I guess I already did. Something, something The Day the Clown Cried.

That one has a release date now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That statement from the director of photography—god drat. I guess Buffy’s kind of a dead property since it’s very 90s and Whedon has been revealed as a sexmonster who used his shows as hunting grounds to pressure people into loving him?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The way the tweet displays the image cuts off the bad news, so I was just getting more hyped until I clicked it n it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

oneforthevine posted:

There was at least one Genesis concert (I think “The Way We Walk”?) that let you switch between dedicated cameras for each band member.

I believe the Beastie Boys criterion dvd lets you switch between angles and takes for at least some of the videos. I have to admit that I never used the feature, as Body Movin is perfect art as is.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was Adaptation superbit only? I have a superbit of Adaptation and I feel the only way I would have bought that is if I had no other choice.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do people have any specific recommendations beyond makeMKV? After a move I have consolidated all my dvds into plastic sleeves and some shoebox-sized boxes, with an eventual next step of ripping everything and getting a RAID setup for Plex. I want to keep commentary tracks but don’t really care about anything else.

Is MakeMKV a good standard for that?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It is important to go into the film knowing that Larry Clark is not the director of A Christmas Story.

Also his Teenage Caveman is not the Roger Corman one. Sorry, dad.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Praises be to that one dude who manifested this through sheer desire like a tulpa made from hopeful posts during every Vinegar Syndrome sale.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CPL593H posted:

YES, WHO IS THAT ONE POSTER WHO NEVER STOPS TALKING ABOUT THIS?

<looks thoughtfully at your face for ten seconds>

Egbert Souse?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hate this but I love that it will make dumb reactionaries mad. I can’t imagine that the Budweiser brand is kept alive by much else aside from nostalgia and Americana by this point, so yeah get hosed dad and Uncle Mark, you fuckin’ bigot-rear end homophobe racists. No more beer for you.

Uncle Mark even liked Hellraiser until he found out Barker was gay. I won’t be happy until he loses riding mowers and boats to the gays as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There better be color bars so I can be sure I’m getting an accurate image.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All 1970s Hollywood men have probably raped children.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I can barely remember the 70s. I've talked to 90s kids and Zoomers and their ideas of the 80s are fuckin' ridiculous pastiche from pop culture and have no resemblance to reality. This is some real "degenerate Hollyweird" poo poo

You don’t think Jack Nicholson hosed some kids? Jack Nicholson hosed some kids. Just look at what that Alabama pedophile who ran for senate was doing, and he was just a regular guy cruising the mall in the middle of nowhere. Imagine what someone rich and famous could get away with. Brooke Shields’ parents encouraged her to go alone on a vacation with Woody Allen, for gently caress’s sake.

The culture has changed a lot in 50 years.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

One detail about Network's Monty Python set - they're offering both 1080i50 and 1080i60 versions depending on where it's shipping to. Apparently, you can contact customer service to request a particular edition if you're able to play 50Hz content - which I'll be doing since it plays just fine on either my region free player or even my UHD one.

Also, Network released an incredible 50th anniversary box set of The Prisoner for an oddly reasonable price:
https://networkonair.com/all-products/2753-prisoner-the-50th-anniversary-limited-edition-blu-ray-

Has several hours of extra documentaries over the long-OOP A&E set, two Danger Man episodes in HD, a 6-CD set of of the soundtrack, and a hardcover book. And it's all packaged to look like something you'd buy in The Village.

I’m in America—if I buy this from them, how nasty are the shipping fees?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

wa27 posted:

In general, I think people care way too much about original music in TV shows. It rarely ruins the enjoyment for me. The one that always stood out to me is Married with Children couldn't even license the theme song for a home release. But hey, it allowed them to sell that 21 disc set for like $25 which is what that show should cost.

The real crime is when studios put out TV shows using the cut syndicated episodes rather than the full length ones. There's no excuse for that (although usually it seems to happen by mistake).

The worst example of this is the 90s Outer Limits. All that hot 90s Canadian nudity, lost like tears in rain.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gremlins?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CPL593H posted:

When I was a kid my aunt was banging some guy who worked on Cops and she had a bunch of tapes of raw footage from that show but she never let me and my cousin watch them. I still wonder what they must have been like.

Guessing tons of extrajudicial murder interspersed with mustachioed white guys screaming “STOP RESISTING!”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

If you lived close enough to Canada to get a signal, after a certain hour they'd show movies late at night that were uncensored, but the few times I managed to stay up that late, it would be the equivalent of the scene in Titanic.

We had the PPV channel SPICE, and at like 1 am on Sunday nights there was a free broadcast. That was like catnip to me and my other 14 year old friends when we figured it out, even if the few times I managed to do it, it was just footage of some blonde jet-skiing topless.

One time one of my friends was watching scramblevision and there was a scene where the dude's dick apparently disappears and he says "where'd my pee-pee go!" which of course became one of our catch phrases (it also included miming looking down in dismay)

Exotica always ran on CBC once a summer. Maybe it still does for all I know. I think it was just boobs and a depressing story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There are blus of all of Justice League already, while the Batman and Batman Beyond sets are new. Superman would be the last of those shows to get a blu release.