Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Basebf555 posted:

That's like my one saving grace with physical media, I don't really go in for the big fancy collector's editions. I don't care about having the soundtrack or a poster or lobby cards or whatever, and I prefer not to have oversized cases that take up a bunch of room on the shelf.

Last night I happened to discover that David Lynch's Dune was getting a 4k release, complete with postcards and posters and art books, the whole nine yards. Apparently this was announced months ago and is already sold out everywhere besides one site that got more allocation 4 days ago. This is probably my favorite movie of all time, so yeah sure $57 for a single UHD, gonna splurge and get the deluxe edition.

Realized that I lucked out this time but have no way of keeping track of when new releases are announced, so I've now bookmarked this thread and followed a couple Twitter accounts. Read through about 1200 older posts and I guess I'll also be picking up The Shining and The Thing on UHD. Got a 4k tv and UHD player like two months ago, and I already have a UHD backlog lol

:homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yes. Was able to pick it up here: https://grindhousevideo.com/products/dune-deluxe-limited-edition-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-steelbook-pre-order?_pos=1&_sid=97897776f&_ss=r but I guess it is already fully allocated elsewhere. I honestly have no clue how limited these Arrow releases are and whether they are a one-off run or not.

Unfortunately Arrow already announced that one of the more interesting special features, the feature-length documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures, won't be done in time for the release and they aren't pushing things back to accommodate for that.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That price is completely ridiculous. I would love to pick this up with the original dub, but certainly not at $275 and lmao no at $350.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've been watching the Highlander series on Peacock the last month or two and the video quality is absolutely terrible. 4:3 aspect ratio which has been cropped and zoomed to 16:9, VHS quality visuals that also sometimes have the wrong video for the audio (like 10 seconds of footage from a previous episode inserted into the wrong spot). They didn't even crop things competently so sometimes text on screen is cut off or not visible at all. It's just embarrassingly bad.

No release date yet but gently caress yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2d-ieb62sI

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

feedmyleg posted:

poo poo. I might have to do this. I've always wondered if that's a series that would have a huge quality upgrade with higher fidelity.

Just being able to see it uncropped would be a big improvement, I don't think there's anywhere to go but up.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GKids has announced two more versions of Evangelion on bluray and if you want the classic ADV dub you're gonna have to shell out $175. If you don't, $45. lol

https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-genesis-evangelion#ultimate-edition

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

CPL593H posted:

Shout has their own set coming out so maybe that one will have the thing people are mad about.

They are just selling the GKids version(s).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Casimir Radon posted:

Furniture supply chains are still super screwed up. I ordered a couple of nightstands and they’re not supposed to actually show up for 6 weeks.

lol, I just ordered a sofa this weekend and if I see it in 2021 I will be really happy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Supposedly a more bare bones edition is planned down the road, which is good cuz I love this movie but don't love it $85 worth.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Rageaholic posted:

:eyepop:

Yeah, I'll definitely be waiting

Just wanted to link this as the source for that news: https://twitter.com/SecondSightFilm/status/1436644220568227842?s=20

Apparently it cost a whole lot of money for them to license the soundtrack for the limited release.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hell yeah it's here

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

In case anyone else recently purchased the new Dune 4k set from Arrow, the UHD disc may be defective. Some people, including myself, are finding that playback will freeze around the 46-48min mark and jump forward in time. I bought my set from Grindhouse Video and they've already set up a replacement disc order for me. I had also emailed Arrow who were willing to start a replacement as well.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Target currently has a buy 2 get 1 free sale going on for most DVD/bluray/UHDs and there does not seem to be a upper limit on how much you can get free. Briefly had the LotR 4k set, Mission Impossible 4k set, and Kubrick 4k set in my cart and it will give me $80 off the total. Sale goes through 10/16.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

First DVD I bought while my family was picking up our first DVD player at Best Buy in 1998 was Ghost In The Shell. While there we also picked up 2 rolls of Monster speaker cable and both of those came with a 1 month free trial for this brand new DVD rental service called Netflix. They were so new and site so poorly designed that I used the same trial codes over and over and over for close to a year and probably rented every single anime DVD they had available at the time, some of which was wildly inappropriate for 13yo me lol.

Finally upgraded that GitS disc with the UHD last month. :shobon:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Maxwell Lord posted:

First UHD (though I haven't actually used it yet): Dune

You may want to sooner rather than later, I had to set up a replacement for that disc because It's defective. Lots of people finding the movie freezes and skips around the 46-50min mark.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Supposedly they're aware of the issue now so if you buy from them directly there's a good chance you won't get a detective disc, anywhere else might have old stock. That being said, I ended up with a replacement disc from Grindhouse which I still need to watch to confirm is not also defective. The ticket I opened with Arrow at the same time (Grindhouse told me too then sent me a replacement a week later for some reason) resulted in their customer service not agreeing to send me a replacement until they could confirm a replacement program would be in place. Seems like their CS is handling things unevenly.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Can anyone recommend me some twitter accounts to follow that share UHD disc release info/deals? Trying to find something to replace https://twitter.com/HighDefDiscNews because this dude spends half the time bitching about how many people unfollow him.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm chatting with a friend about Toys and not only is it not available on any streaming service anywhere, there was never a Blu-ray release? Seriously?? Now I'm pissed and want to rewatch it even more.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1476018233379536899

:hellyeah:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sniep posted:

Nah I really don't keep any, but then again I never buy based on if it has a cool slip cover or inserts. I am just after the main titles as for me this is a collection hobby as much as a love of film, and the physical media attribute is simply a means to an end.

The plex server just became required once shelving space was no longer cutting it. I'm on the 4th iteration of the storage backend at this point, since blu ray rips take up a LOT of space lol.

^ The bottom one is full of 14TBs, the middle is full of 10TBs. lol.

e: if i noticed hand written serials or something i'd prolly not toss it, no. Never seen that though.

This is awesome, what RAID configuration are you using for that? I'm guessing no cloud backups since you've still got all the originals in storage. I'm looking to build a Plex server and am trying to decide what and how much storage to buy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Heavy Metal posted:

Robocop is one of the great films. I wish I had a Robocop statue in my town.

Detroit wishes it had one too. Still waiting.... :(

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

re: Barry Lyndon- was there actually confirmation that it would getting a 4k release soon or is that mostly speculation?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Incredibly cursed photo

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

worms butthole guy posted:

Do any of you have a reccomendations for a 4k player? The series x struggles to play dawn of the dead and the northman so I'm thinking it's time for a upgrade

I have a Sony UBP-X800M2 and I've been very happy with it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Tim Whatley posted:

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1553931787016994818?s=21&t=oVlxA7E7xgyEA9xnJwV0ig

This made me realize I hope we get something for Signs, which celebrates its 20th anniversary in like 3 days.

lol goddammit, I just paid way too much the existing old rear end blu-ray release for this too.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Gripweed posted:

The Northern Exposure puffy jackets kicked rear end. All steelbooks should come in a jacket like that so they don’t get dented in transit.

Not a jacket but can I interest you in a backpack??

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1555265080371122176

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Jack Reacher UHD Steelbook $12.99 on Bestbuy.com until midnight.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. Hadn't picked this up yet.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Boywhiz88 posted:

TBH, I rarely notice that kind of stuff anyway. I remember watching Goodfellas on UHD after they said too dark and I thought it was fine. Doesn’t hurt that I’ve got a bright TV!

My Steelbook doesn’t show as shipped yet, so I’m watching my Collateral UHD finally. Whets my taste for Cruise too. Showing my gal the M:I series but we’re not ready to jump into 2 yet. I have never finished that film either, so we’ll see!

After seeing Top Gun: Maverick, I've been going through and buying and (re)watching Cruise's entire repertoire and I skipped M:I2 because it's just so so bad. I'll probably watch it before I run out of his movies just to be an annoying completionist, though.

Kinda mad Minority Report and The Last Samurai are not available on UHD!!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It's still getting a ton of screenings around here and I highly highly recommend seeing it in a theater. It needs to be seen on the biggest screen with the loudest speakers you have access to. Best experience I've had seeing a movie in a theater in a long time.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Picked up my Jack Reacher steelbook that I got for $cheap from BB. This is the first steelbook I've bought and tbqh I previously thought they were kinda gimmicky. But it's really nice, and now I'm gonna change my Top Gun: Maverick preorder from the combo pack to the steel book...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If anybody wants to go in on a set to part it out I'd really love to just have Orlando...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Speaking of Tom Cruise, there is a new "superfan" collection for Top Gun coming out in December for a whopping $140 USD. Includes new steelbooks for Top Gun 1&2 and a bunch of extra crap like dog tags, beer coasters, postcards: https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=31317 I got excited initially because the press releases all said it had "six hours of bonus content", but that's mostly just what's on the existing Top Gun release and there is nothing actually new on the discs in this version. From what I read Top Gun: Maverick had something like 800 hours of footage captured to make the movie so what I reaaalllllyyyyy want is some more behind-the-scenes featurettes beyond the pathetic ~20 minutes worth that will be included on the currently announced physical releases.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I mean it looks like a pretty standard cardboard box with a few smaller cardboard boxes inside. For some reason they expect you to pay like $80 for the box and some postcards/decals/dogtags. The movies themselves if you bought them separately would only cost like $50-$60.

For that price I'd at least want a nice hefty coffee table book or something.

The price is just insane. I don't own the OG and was planning to pick it up around when the TG:M ships, so if it had been $100 would I have considered it? Maybe.

As it is I am already gonna splurge and get the TG:M steelbook over the combo 4k release of Top Gun 1:2. If they had added some extra bonus content or even just a frigging commentary track I'd probably be sold.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pulp Fiction steelbook 4k artwork is even worse imho

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1572358288402186243

Also I get that they're trying to make it look like the ear is all bloody but it feels like the anatomy is all hosed up the blood is coming from the back of the head.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Casimir Radon posted:

I kind of like that t-shirt VinSyn has in the email that just went out. But there isn’t anything I’m desperate to have right this minute, and I’ve already spent too much on spooky season discs.

Did they ever send out the April Fool's Day thing? (I didn't buy it, I've just been waiting for someone here who did to report back about what it was.)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Top Gun: Maverick is out on UHD today but my Amazon order isn't scheduled to arrive until November 9th. :negative:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Top Gun: Maverick is one of the best looking 4k discs I've ever seen. I can see details in 4k that were not visible when I saw it in the theater. Also a bunch of the plane sequences including 90% of the last 45min are in 1.90:1 aspect ratio, which is fuckin sickkkk.

Unfortunately the bonus features mostly suck. :(

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I am thinking of buying one of those Sony 4k collections and splitting it with goons. I only want Orlando from the set so the rest are up for grabs. I'll admit I am mostly doing this because I read that Sony has a real bad track record with disc quality, and I want to make sure I am not buying a scratched or unplayable disk off some ebay rando. If I don't get any bites on this in the next few days and have at least half the set claimed I will probably not bother.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019340

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Top Gun Maverick imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I learned some conservation framing techniques and have been framing my own art for a while now to "save money".

Next month I'm buying a professional mat cutter because I've convinced myself I can break even after ~15 frames, and 5min ago I spent $150 on supplies to finish assembling two items. I had to add a new budget line item called Framing, lol.

At least some of them look pretty good.