Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I bought a Panasonic UB820 recently (after it turned out playing a 4k disc on xbox series x means trying to watch a movie while someone runs a vacuum cleaner under your tv - drat thing is silent while playing games, but throw a media disc in and it whooshes like mad), and I've been fairly happy with it.

Do wish it booted up a little faster, and having a tray-loader with an asthmatic little motor wheezing it out makes it feel very non-premium for how much it costs, but on the other hand you put a disc in and the disc plays and what else do you need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's a kaiju movie made with puppets. Give the trailers a watch and you'll know instantly if it's your thing.

I have done exactly this and found it to be completely my thing - I couldn't find a UK release, does anyone know if that SRS release is region locked?

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I ended up buying a dedicated player after I upgraded from an Xbox One X to an Xbox Series X and put a 4k disc into it for the first time.

That thing is preposterously noisy, just a non-stop hiss coming from the disc drive any time a 4k movie is playing, loud enough that I can hear it over dialog scenes. It was such a bummer.

And now I kinda like having the two things segregated, it's very convenient being able to leave eg a TV show disc in the bluray player and be able to swap back into watching it without having to mess around swapping out game discs etc. It also makes my older discs look way nicer, the upscaling on the standalone player is really good

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Vince MechMahon posted:

There is something wrong with your series x disc drive and you should get it replaced because it should be noiseless.

Source: my totally silent series x.

Maybe "preposterously" was over-egging it, I'm a very sensitive baby when it comes to device fan noise etc.

It's a hiss from the disc spinning that I can hear from across the room that only occurs when a UHD disc is in and the movie is playing. It's not enough to obscure any audio, but it's enough that I can hear it poke through between lines of dialog and it made me sad.

Blu-rays and DVDs were fine, but UHDs I guess maybe have to spin faster and there just isn't enough baffling between the drive and the fan vents. Maybe exacerbated by me keeping it horizontal, and you can literally see the bare side of the drive through the intake vent on the left hand side of the xbox.

I can hear it when games are installing as well, but that's only temporary until the game is finished installing. With the movies, it hissed until I stopped playing the movie.

I'd be interested in how totally silent your totally silent drive is when installing a game or playing a UHD - or if there is a noticeable increase in noise vs idle when you put a disc in for the first time.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

VoodooXT posted:

Color calibration is as follows:

I can't tell if this is satire.