Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

TerraFormars is... about as racist as something can possibly be by accident, yeah.

It's about a multinational UN force going to Mars to terraform it, except this action causes mutant humanoid cockroaches to take over the planet and start very messily killing people instead. The bugs are probably supposed to look like homo erectus (if you google homo erectus, one of the first image results looks almost exactly like the Terraformers' faces), but to the vast, vast majority of Western readers they just look like black people, which is A Bad Look.

The author has said as much, and when the humans do encounter the humanoid cockroaches, they are basically cavemen who rapidly advance in technology because of human contact, and he's also stated that the colour of the carapace is dark because that's the colour of cockroaches. I guess it is plausible that it's just a series of unfortunate coincidences, but the manga does nothing to help itself either, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Second Sight (UK) has got the rights for a blu ray release of Romero's Dawn of the Dead.

Yeah, I'm proper stoked about this because I missed out on the Arrow Dawn of the Dead set. I hope it comes with the different versions of the film.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

Not only that, they’re doing Martin too! Please let these see a region A release too!

Holy poo poo, loving finally!

I've got a few Second Sights and their recent work is excellent.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 26, 2019

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hannibal, the film, is stupid. Hannibal, the show, owns bones.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

The nice thing about binders is you can usually jam a second disc behind the first one if you try hard enough.

Why are you doing this to us?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How does everyone organise theirs? Alphabetical order, chronological order, etc.?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I organise mine by genre and sub genre (if I have enough films in a specific one), which is alphabetical. The war movies I own are placed in the order in which the conflict happened. Films in a series are placed in their own smaller shelves, there’s a Batman-specific section and I have an area for auteurs.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I've tried this and I guess some weird movie focused version of OCD prevents me from being able to maintain it. There's always just too many that straddle two or three categories at once and I feel like whatever I do it can never be fully consistent. Like, if Alien is sci-fi, does that mean Event Horizon is too? I have a hard time making arbitrary decisions like that, I need something more defined like alphabetical or by director.

Yeah, in those cases I put the focus on which genre, in my opinion, was the best fit. Case in point, I've placed Dark City and Minority Report in my Noir section, and An American Werewolf in London under Comedy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hirsute posted:

Yeah alphabetical order is the only thing that makes sense to me. I have a separate section for box sets but that's alphabetical too, by title of the set or name of the actor/director. Only thing I can't make up my mind on is whether to put films from the same series together even if their titles are pretty different. Like, should I put Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes together? They're not currently but it's kind of bothering me!

Here's how you order the Planet of the Apes films

Planet of the Apes (Burton)
Planet of the Apes (Schaffner)
Planet of the Apes, Battle for the
Planet of the Apes, Beneath the
Planet of the Apes, Conquest of the
Planet of the Apes, Dawn of the
Planet of the Apes, Escape from the
Planet of the Apes, Rise of the
Planet of the Apes, War for the

Accept no substitutes.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

My Ikea Billy shelves are as follows

Current top shelf:
Horror
Shakespearean adaptations
NZ cinema (Manaakitia mai, Aotearoa)

Next shelf:
Action
Crime

Next shelf:
Comedy/Musical
Documentary
Noir/Neo-noir
Martial Arts

Next shelf:
Drama
Science fiction
War
Western Animation

Next shelf:
Auteur section, where the Carpenters, Spielbergs, Scorseses, Coens, PTAs, etc. are collected together

Bottom shelf:
Various TV shows

Elsewhere, films and their sequels are placed together in a bunch of other shelves, so the Rocky/Creed franchise is all together, the Godzillas are all together, the MCU films are together, etc. In cases where the first film of a franchise is directed by an auteur with lesser follow-ups, I make that distinction. For example, Halloween II and the recent Halloween are both in the Horror section, while the original Halloween is in the Auteur shelf with the other Carpenters. One will always trump the other.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

24 Hour Party People is finally getting a blu-ray release, due in 4 months.

Here's the US release
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/24-Hour-Party-People-Blu-ray/233296/

UK release
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/24-Hour-Party-People-Blu-ray/186233/

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Attention Kiwi goons that browse this thread: JB Hi-Fi is doing a sale of Fox steelbook blu-rays. I just nabbed Patton and The Hustler. They're also handling some Arrow Video releases, such as Zardoz, so keep an eye out for those.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

As the guy who every few months posts in this thread bitching about the lack of “The Abyss” on HD home media, I’m both pumped and skeptical.

What if it's only the theatrical cut, and not the superior director's cut?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yeah my ideal cut of Aliens and T2 would be the theatrical with the sentry and chip scenes put back in.

Yeah, the chip scene is the only one that I feel would have added to the theatrical cut. I guess the smile scene is neat in developing John Connor's bond with the Terminator, and seeing Kyle Reese in the dream sequence is neat, but I totally get why they were cut.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

What a douche.

Someone who calls himself "McG" is a douche. The devil you say.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, I might have pre-ordered the Japanese deluxe edition blu-ray of Dragon Ball Super: Broly, because I'm a big old loser.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%80%90A...YVE8B92MG7Z06PJ

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

But A View to a Kill has the best theme song.

Yeah, you heard me. That song rocks hard and I will fight you.

A bad Bond can still have a bangin' theme song. Case in point, The World is Not Enough.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

And yet you somehow posted the wrong clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC8dWWImNzU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The Jack White and Alicia Keys one for Quantum of Solace was pretty bad too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqmEHsoUot8

When I first heard Jack White was doing the theme for this one, I got excited because I've loved Jack White for like 15+ years. Then I heard it and...yikes

The fuzzy guitar is exciting, but nothing else about it is.

Should've just had Alicia Keys sing, with maybe White play the instruments but then I guess any old bugger could've done that. Still, I prefer it to the Spectre theme song, which is just dreary and boring. I guess as a theme song it's appropriate for the film.

CPL593H posted:

The theme song for Die Another Day is completely wretched and was dated when it came out. It does in fact seem like a late 90s movie and it came out in 2002. The intro sequence itself is pretty awful too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmqrtbEuhNQ

Yeah, but Die Another Day is so poo poo, that I was feeling positively nostalgic for that poo poo theme song by about 3/4 of the way through. Honestly, Die Another Day would have been so much better if it were a film where Bond is stuck in hostile territory with no gadgets or cars or anything, and has to get out using his training, skill and wits. Certainly would've made for a far more compelling film than the tripe we got.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

RichterIX posted:

Is Spectre bad? It's the only Bond movie I've never seen, I just haven't gotten around to it.

It’s long, boring, and absolutely bloated.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Arrow is handling the UK blu-ray release of Lords of Chaos, and have put on an early-bird discount of £12.50.

And here's their June releases

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1111648220927717376

They're also getting around to vol 2 of the American Horror Project, featuring Dream No Evil, The Child and Dark August.

The US releases are being handled by DiabolikDVD, for the Yanks in here that ask about Arrow's availability in the US.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It has it's moments that are good, but it's bloated and boring as hell for long stretches too. It's like 2hrs long and needed to be 20 minutes shorter.

For video game adaptations you could do a lot worse though.

Spot on. It's a good way to kill 90-odd minutes, and bits like the key in the mouth was great. Shame about the rest of the film.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hey, so, Eureka's doing an Easter Sale on UK Amazon.

They've put up a list and links to what's on sale:

https://eurekavideo.co.uk/news/amazon-easter-sale/?fbclid=IwAR2dQA7kfMusFrPdb_CoUYrn3uzdrhue06MDxG8n5KSUw6WQ0sfrGmeiozo

quote:

Eureka Classics

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) Dual Format £7.99

Born Free (1966) Dual Format £7.99

The Entity (Blu-ray) £7.99

Journey To The Center Of The Earth [1959] Blu-ray £8.99

Masters of Cinema

Park Row (Masters of Cinema) (DVD) £6.99

Lubitsch In Berlin: Six films by Ernst Lubitsch, 1918-1921 [Masters Of Cinema] (DVD) £9.99

Harakiri [Masters of Cinema] Dual Format £8.99

Sunrise [Masters of Cinema] Dual Format £7.99

For All Mankind (Masters of Cinema) Dual Format £7.99

La Planete Sauvage [Masters of Cinema] Dual Format £7.99

Onibaba (Masters of Cinema) Dual Format £7.99

Too Late Blues (Masters of Cinema) Dual Format £7.99

Nashville (Masters of Cinema) Dual Format £7.99

Diary of a Lost Girl [Masters of Cinema] Dual Format £7.99

Dragon Inn (1967) [Masters of Cinema] Dual Format £7.99

Day Of The Outlaw (1959) [Masters of Cinema] Dual Format £7.99

A Touch of Zen (1970) [Masters of Cinema] 2 Disc Dual Format Edition £9.99

A Letter to Three Wives (1949) [Masters of Cinema] Dual Format £7.99

Kuroneko (1968) [Masters of Cinema] Dual Format £7.99

Shane [Masters of Cinema] (Single-Disc Standard Edition Blu-ray) £7.99

The Flight of the Phoenix (1965) (Masters of Cinema) Blu-ray £8.99

Paths of Glory (1957) (Masters of Cinema) Blu-ray £8.99

A Man For All Seasons (Masters Of Cinema) Dual Format £9.99

Two Rode Together (1961) [Masters of Cinema] Dual Format £8.99

Creepy (2016) (Masters of Cinema) Dual Format £7.99

BAKUMATSU TAIYÔ-DEN (Masters of Cinema) Dual Format £7.99

The Barefoot Contessa [Masters of Cinema] Dual Format £9.99

TV Series

The Dark Side of the Sun (BBC TV) (DVD) £9.99

Maid Marian and her Merry Men – The Complete BBC TV Series 1-4 Limited Edition (DVD) £20

Wolf Creek (The Complete First Series) Blu-ray £7.99

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

So apparently Second Sight Films has the rights to “Dawn of the Dead” because they just posted an email from DP Michael Gornick about the restoration they’re doing.

Well, about time it got out of rights hell.

They’ve got Marty too. I’ll definitely be getting their release, since I missed Arrow’s LE set.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

From the Eureka sale, I ordered Bakumatsu Taiyo-Den, Dragon Inn, La Planete Sauvage, Kuroneko and A Touch of Zen, along with Floating Weeds and Medium Cool, since they were at around the same price anyway.

I Before E posted:

I assume you mean Martin, not 1955 Best Picture winner Marty starring Ernest Borgnine

Yes, I absolutely meant Martin. From what I can tell, it's just the second blu-ray release that film is getting, the first being one in Japan for whatever reason.

Interestingly, Arrow had the rights to Martin as well, and they released Martin on DVD in the UK a while ago, but like Dawn of the Dead, they must have lost the rights at some point.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If you're in a Region B territory, or have a compatible player, Second Sight did a version of it in 2014 which is still in print.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Good news for our collections, and bad news for our bank accounts! Arrow is doing an Easter sale!

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1118477118856421377

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Phenomena and Opera are the unsung heroes of Argento's filmography

I think I've mentioned this before, but I really don't get Giallo. I've seen the genre standards like Phenomena (although I may have watched the wrong version) and Suspiria, and I've really made an effort but I just can't engage with it. It's like when I attempted to watch Arrival. I felt like a real dummy because I just couldn't engage with it and kept getting really restless watching it. I'm not saying they're "bad movies," I just can't get into them at all.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Grabbed two more Argento titles (Inferno and Phenomena) as well as The Human Condition trilogy.

If anyone's been looking, Network appears to be in stock there after being out-of-stock literally everywhere else I've tried looking. Nixed it for The Human Condition set though.

I picked up The Human Condition as well. I'd already got Network previously anyway.

I also got My Darling Clementine, The Endless Limited Edition (which comes with a blu-ray copy of Resolution), Irma Vep, Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey (which completes my collection of Arrow's New Zealand cinema classics offerings) and Street Mobster.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 18, 2019

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

david_a posted:

I checked out blu-ray.com to see if they have a review yet (no) and I accidentally wound up on their forum thread. Someone getting real salty about Backdraft not being a serious depiction of firefighters

Don’t they basically make the fire a sentient villain in this one? I only saw it once on TV a long time ago.

There was a subplot about a serial arsonist IIRC. The other thing I remember is that the score was used as the theme song for the original Japanese Iron Chef.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

How many people here do use binders as opposed to disc cases?

Me, I am all about the binders. Right now I have four large binders of DVDs, and I wound up dividing my Blurays into cases for anime, not-anime, and a small one for the MCU (largely because it was easier to keep them in order that way).

Binders? I find they take up too much space.

Now these things, they're the very model of efficiency. Chuck out the cases, and keep your discs in these. You can even cram about three of them in there.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

WB just confirmed the 4K of The Shining is the premiere cut with the original ending. Nothing about having all three cuts or audio yet, but it’s only May...

All three cuts?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yep, just put in an order for that 3-disc version of Oldboy, along with Arrow Video's upcoming release of Being John Malkovich.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Is there anything about John Malkovich that makes it better than Criterion's release or are you just in region 2?

I'm a Region B lad, but from what I can tell, the releases are more or less identical, other than the label. Directly from the Arrow listing:

Restored from a 4K scan of the original camera negative and approved by director Spike Jonze
High Definition Blu-Ray (1080p) presentation
Original 5.1 DTS-HD master audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
Select scene audio commentary by Jonze’s friend and competitor, the filmmaker Michel Gondry
John Malkovich and John Hodgman, a conversation between the film’s star and the actor, writer and humourist
Strung Along, a new featurette exploring the marionettes made for the film, featuring newly shot interviews with puppeteer Phillip Huber and puppeteer/designer/fabricators Kamela Portuges and Lee Armstrong
The 7½ Floor, the full corporate orientation video seen in the film
John Horatio Malkovich: Dance of Despair and Disillusionment, the full pseudo-documentary seen in the film
An Interview with Director Spike Jonze, a brief chat with the director filmed under duress by Lance Bangs
An Intimate Portrait of the Art of Puppeteering, an archival interview with Phillip Huber filmed on set by Lance Bangs
An Intimate Portrait of the Art of Background Driving, an on-set look at filming the New Jersey Turnpike sequence by Lance Bangs
Don’t Enter Here, There Is Nothing Here
Theatrical trailer and TV spots
Image gallery
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Vero Navarro
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Roger Keen and archive publicity materials

https://www.arrowfilms.com/product-detail/being-john-malkovich-blu-ray/FCD1914

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Ugh. Just noticed that Comedy Central released the first 10 seasons of South Park in 2 mega packs. The price is right, I’m missing enough seasons to save money by doing this, and I would save a ton of space... any reason not to go this route?

Yes.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Some notable releases for the Region B Brigade

Vanishing Point (Fabulous Films) - slipped under this thread's radar, apparently. This one comes with both the US and UK cuts of the film (the UK cut is almost 10 minutes longer, with a mysterious hitch-hiking woman played by Charlotte Rampling at the end of the film that was excised from the film in the US).

The Running Man (Fabulous Films) - This one finally gets a UK release (there were releases in continental Europe, and the Australian release seems to have gone out of print).

High Noon (Eureka) - An overdue release in the UK, this is being released via Eureka's Masters of Cinema imprint. Definitely worth getting excited about.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

V thankful I hadn’t bought any of em yet. Never saw “World’s End” actually.

I always felt World's End was the weakest of the trilogy, but I gained an appreciation for it when I built a unit around it for my Y10 English class last year.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Timby posted:

The World's End is the best of the Cornetto trilogy, and I will fight any challenger who approaches.

Like I said, I gained a huge appreciation for it. I would argue that Hot Fuzz is the best of the three, but The World's End is a worthy runner-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

I hated Worlds End when it came out. I should watch it again. I just thought it was trying too hard

It clicked with me on my second viewing.