Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

I scoff at all of you with your DVD purchases, when the real future belongs to Divx.

Now, let me hook the phone line up to the player, and mind you we got 48 hours to watch this. And in glorious 4x3 full screen - they know that audiences don't care about things like widescreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Steve Yun posted:

I don’t think there are any titles that were Laserdisc only other than Sega Genesis LD games, I think everything else on LD was also on VHS.

The complete Family Dog was only ever issued on laserdisc!

In general, here's what you'll fine that's laserdisc exclusive:

Widescreen versions that were full screen only elsewhere, even on DVD.

Some specially collections or things that appeal hard to movie buffs.

Music releases.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

CPL593H posted:

It just blows my mind how shoddy the treatment of Star Wars has been in terms of video releases, but I guess that's to be expected when people will buy anything with that logo on it even if they slapped the discs in a pile of dog poo poo.

George Lucas has (or had) a lot of control over the Star Wars home video releases, but here's the thing - he's not a particularly good film maker.

He has a lot of talent and a lot of good ideas. But he has a nasty habit of letting the perfect become the enemy of the good, and so when he oversees the home video releases of his movies, he tends to give into the instincts to tinker with his films because he could have done something differently or he wants to make a minor change to make them fit in better with films made after the fact. He's unwilling to accept them as a product of their time and place, and keeps trying to remold them into this vision that he had.

He wants to exert control over these films, and refuses to accept them for what they are. And here's the thing - the core films are still there. Sure, the new Jabba song loving sucks - but if you want to watch Return of the Jedi and you want the best version legally available - what are you going to do? And while these changes are small, they do annoy fans because it's just something that takes you out of the experience. When Boba Fett has a new voice, or there's CGI creatures roaming about in scenes where there weren't before, or Jabba the Hutt is a small, slender slug, well, what are you going to do? Are you not going to share these less than perfect experiences with your family?

It's funny - Spielberg did the same thing to ET, but nowadays, when he talks about that film, he talks about his tinkering as a misstep on his part. There was one event where he was talking about the upcoming Blu-ray release, and mockingly asked the audience would they prefer the original 1982 version or the version he did in the early 2000s where the guns were replaced with walkie talkies.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if it was going to happen, that Disney does it as some part of a huge box. God knows, that's the only way I'd buy the prequel trilogy.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

America is just weird.

For example, I was watching an episode of Criminal Minds (it's enjoyable in its way) where they showed the murdered naked corpse of a woman.

They had no qualms about showing her mutilated body with a lot of blood, but she was positioned just so to prevent any one from seeing the nipple.

Another good example is The King's Speech. Rated R, why? Because he says gently caress more than once. Sure, it's otherwise lacking in objectionable material, but according to the MPAA, you need an adult to see that movie if you're 13 but Vin Diesel's XxX is perfectly fine, with the line "bitches, come."

America is just loving weird.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

FancyMike posted:

I only see US/UK/HK so probably not identical discs. The Honk Kong release (MegaStar) is supposed to be better, but probably not worth paying twice as much to import it if you just want the first film. Looks like there's no US release for the second or third though so if you're interested in them imports is the only option. Thr second isn't quite as good as the first but it's still very good and the third is fine. The UK trilogy set is priced well but region B, the HK about $60 to import (I usually use dddhouse).

So, I remember the first time I saw the Departed. At first, I'm watching the film, and I'm just taken in by Scorsese's style. But then as the film is unfolding, I'm beginning to realize that these plot beats feel really familiar. It was the scene with the CD when I realized "Holy poo poo, this is Infernal Affairs!"

I'm a very strange movie nerd. I saw Infernal Affairs. But I didn't realize that the Departed was a remake of Infernal Affairs. I should be ashamed.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I tried to do some research, since I remember reading that when they printed the Incredibles onto film, they used a higher resolution than the standard 2k that was used. I'm coming up blank.

But HDR color will likely be where you see the biggest difference with UHD.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I wonder how this will compare to the Police Story bluray out in the states already.

Police Story 2 looked pretty good, but the first movie looked really dire. The encode wasn't bad, as far as I could see, the source was just really rough.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

This seems like the important part but I don't know enough about HDR to know how important the difference is. That is, I know generally how important HDR is but you're saying that the brightness would be different on a cheaper model. Like, enough of a difference that it's worth spending hundreds of dollars more?

Dolby Vision is basically a layer that sits on top of HDR-10.

So there is a backwards compatible shell all HDR compliant TVs can read, and then what Dolby Vision does is make scene by scene adjustments to improve the overall image.

I haven't seen Dolby Vision myself, so I can't say if it is good or not, but I have not heard bad things. Some places have oversold it, but that is to be expected.

Another thing is not all UHDs have Dolby Vision. I think maybe most don't.

For me, if I had to buy a new TV, it would be a differentiator among TVs of the same or similar price, but it wouldn't be an absolute necessity.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Dolby Vision is like DTS-Mastsr. There is an HDR-10 compatible core, and that's generally going to be good enough.

Dolby Vision isn't a competing standard, but more like a premium version.

Basically, HDR is good enough without it, but I guess it will be better with it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

What the gently caress?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doJLCU-vtAo#t=227s
Also the stretching part right after. What?

edit: Ah. The foreground stretching has to have been done for the 3D release. How dumb if that made it to the 2D master too. I certainly hope the 4k disks aren't using that.

I thought the 2011 master is the only master for Jurassic Park in 2D on bluray. So the comparison is already kind of screwy.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I was watching Prince of Space on MST3K. And there's a few times where someone is talking and they aren't on screen, and so the bots are confused and are like "who's talking?"

I feel like future generations won't get that joke and not realize that there film wasn't shot with invisible people, it's just that sometimes, when they panned and scanned films, they only used the center of the frame.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Five Cent Deposit posted:

35mm release prints were typically less sharp than 1080p, actually. It *is* a problem with Blu-Ray already, even more so with 4K home setups.

Well, there's a difference between the release print and the negative. 35 mm has about 2k-4k of resolution. Release prints generally were copies of copies, and may have been run a few times, and so you're not going to get a great picture from them.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It seems like the industry gets that though, because while we're seeing upscaled versions of new releases like A Quiet Place or Rampage, the majority of the older films that are getting the 4k treatment seem to be native 4k. We've seen recent releases of The Matrix, Blade Runner, Mission Impossible, The Fifth Element, and Men in Black that all look great because they're native 4k.

So I just don't see it as a huge issue right now, and for a new release like A Quiet Place I just buy the upscaled 4k version because why not? It's not the same as upgrading a film I already own where I have to figure out if it's "worth it".

Also, a big selling point, for me at least, is HDR color. The resolution gains don't really mean much to me, but the color...

Like, Pacific Rim was gorgeous. Sure, it was a 2k native source (or a little higher, but it was an upscale to 4k), but goddamn the colors were amazing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I mean, The Simpsons was shot on film, so I hope they can go back and restore those episodes to HD.

Now, I know someone is going to say "wait, in season 14 they switch to digital ink and paint."

No. The only episode they did digital ink and paint for was the Radioactive Man movie episode. There was no season 14. That must be a different show.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Pretty sure it was film with video compositing, especially in the early seasons. A number of episodes on the season 1 DVDs in particular have unusual frame cadences, 240p freeze frames, and dot crawl artifacts, thanks to how it was originally composited to video.

I wouldn't be surprised, but it might might not be too hard to do.

I remember on Futurama, they were talking about how the shift to digital made it easier for them to do freeze frames, since on the Simpsons, it would look weird due to the film grain, or something like that.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Island Nation posted:

Wasn’t Tennis the Menace when they started with digital inking? The fandom on the message boards back then went crazy that they were a different shade of yellow.

That episode was the second test episode. So the last produced with cel animation was the one where Homer hangs out with rock stars. But apparently Helter Shelter was the last to air. So season 14 was when the switch happen full time.

They did two test episodes. There Radioactive Man Movie was digital ink and paint, and that was pretty early on, and it looks a bit rough. During that time though, a lot of cartoons experimented with digital. There's one episode of Cowboy Bebop that's entirely digital ink and paint, King of the Hill had a bit of transition, the first one being the one where Bobby learns self defense, and then there were some scenes that used digital ink and paint.

I like the look of cel, but I don't dislike the look of digital. I feel like the color looks a little duller, but that's really all I can say about it.

And if I remember correctly, the Simpsons basically had to stop because the animation house they used just didn't have people who were being trained to do cels. Plus, it actually makes production a lot easier since recoloring happens much faster.

Also, to defend season 1 - you have a few great episodes. Bart going to France, Sideshow Bob, the war against the bully, some enchanted evening...

Seriously, like half of the season is pretty strong. I really only dislike Marge in the Fast Lane.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

CED actually plays a significant part in what's considered a special edition. Lots of firsts.

The CED of Amarcord was the first official letterboxed home video release in the US - beating Manhattan by eight months.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail was released on CED in 1984 with the "director's cut" (the extra 30 second scene), letterboxed, and with the trailer after the film. A year earlier, it was released on laserdisc cropped to 4x3, without the extra scene, and no trailer. This "bonus" version wouldn't surface on laserdisc until the 1993 Criterion laserdisc!

A lot of titles were billingual by simply encoding the analog stereo track with two mono tracks of different languages. This is something laserdisc would later adopt with Criterion's audio commentaries and later splitting up to three tracks when digital audio came into being (digital usually being the original sound, the analog being a split between a commentary and maybe a music-only track).

Laserdisc had support for bilingual audio pretty early on. There's a video of a very 70s Leonard Nimoy taking to a laserdisc player and demonstrating it's features. The bilingual audio was shown on a football disc - one channel had the commentary, and the other just had the game sounds.

CED is fascinating because by all accounts, it was the sunk cost fallacy taken to an extreme. RCA spent a lot of money trying to developed the format, and once laserdisc hit the market, they kept trying to develop CED instead of just accepting it was done.

The format had all the drawbacks of laserdisc with the picture quality of VHS and the issues that come with a record.

It's a bizarre product - both ahead and behind the times.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Not that it was ever funny, but it feels like Pat is out of their time today. Like, the concept of someone not being clearly male or female is just something we encounter. I encounter it on a near daily basis - one of my coworkers goes by "they."

Like, I just can't imagine a modern audience looking at It's Pat and not being disgusted.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Here's the thing - most people when they sit down to watch a movie want a movie, not a specific film necessarily. It's like music - most people want background noise most of the time. They may occasionally want a specific song, but they just want something familiar and comfortable.

Streaming works great for those people.

There's going to be people who really care about movies, and will want specific films, and for those people, physical media will rule the day.

DVD came in at the right time where it offered better picture quality and sound and people loved the novelty of deleted scenes and the like.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

JebanyPedal posted:

I recently smashed down way too much money on one of the new LG OLED TVs (Jesus loving Christ it's good) and now I'm wondering if there's any reason I should get a dedicated 4K player as just buying an Xbox One X and using that as my player as well as for gaming.

I hear all kinds of conflicting things about proper HDR and Dolby Vision support on different players and it's all kind of gibberish to me.

Also what is the single best film currently available in 4K and HDR that would demonstrate the capabilities of a bomb new TV?

So yeah, let's talk 4k.

In terms of resolution, it's not going to make a huge deal of difference, since you're getting past the point of diminishing returns... Unless you watch TV really closely, or you have a super huge screen.

Now HDR - you're probably wondering about Dolby Vision and regular HDR and all that goes into it. So HDR is the base high dynamic range standard.

So that HDR signal is a core part of the Dolby Vision signal, but they add metadata onto that so there's automatic changes to contrast and all that based on the scene.

Basically, Dolby Vision is cool and all, but for now, going with just plain HDR should be fine.

And nobody's mentioned Pacific Rim? The colors on that film were eye popping. It just looked so vibrant and bright.

Or you could be like me and use Arrival to show off HDR! The muted color scheme never looked so muted!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

david_a posted:

For people that have gotten used to HDR (if that’s even possible yet), do normal Blu-rays look noticeably worse to you now?

No.

In all honesty, it's like going from an 8 out of 10 to a 10 out of 10. It's noticably better, but not so much so that an SDR picture is unwatchable, or even noticeable.

A good picture is a good picture. We're getting to the point where it is really fine tuning.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Runway Train is an amazing film.

It starts off as the stupidest and dumbest eighties action film you can imagine. You have all these cliches, and then...

It becomes gripping. You care about the characters. The one convict gets this amazing speech where he asks the other prison escapee what he's going to do, and the guy is like "I'm going to live on an island and be rich" and the convict is like "no, you might have a shot if you can take poo poo from a guy and not bash his head in."

I love it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

You'd be surprised how off people can have the settings. I'm seeing people post that the opening MGM logo of the 2001 remaster is gold on purple. I recalibrated my display earlier today and even before that, it was yellow on blue, just as it's always been.

Fun story - one of the movies I used to set up my TV was Arrival.

There's a reason why you shouldn't use a movie with a muted color palette to calibrate a television, but hey, I always felt that Unforgiven needed to look washed out with a hosed up contrast though.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Here's my thought - physical media will likely be there for collectors and serious movie fans. You just want to kill two hours - stream it. It will be acceptable.

But if you're really into movies and like rare and obscure things, then discs are for you.

4K is doing alright. It's a premium product, but every month, there's new product coming out and the fact that catalog titles like Predator and 2001 and the Jack Ryan films get released means it does well enough.

Look at it like laserdisc. When I was growing up, I only remember seeing one Laserdisc at the wiz - and that was for Young Frankenstein. You had to go to specialty shops to get your lasers. Best Buy isn't going to stock the deep catalog. Instead, they'll have the big new releases and that's it.

Things are fine.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

I love Blu-ray but it was clearly not the same paradigm shift that DVD was. It's DVD but better. Combine that with streaming and it's easy to see why it's not as popular. But it's sort of like comparing TV ratings today with ratings from the '90s. "Not as popular" doesn't amount to failing.

Blu-Ray was a harder sale. I remember people asking me why would I even bother with high definition, since standard definition looked good enough. It was a baffling piece of logic to me - after all, I want my movies to look the best they reasonably can.

But, remember, a lot of people didn't have an HDTV, they weren't interested in rebuying their movies, and then there was confusion with the format war.

And the thing is, DVD is still good enough. And it's challenging to supplant good enough with better.

And UHD has another challenge. The way I compare BR with UHD is that BR is an 8 out of 10, UHD is a 9 or 10.

It's better, but not a huge leap forward.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm only upgrading stuff to UHD if it's a thing I really love or I hear it's revelatory in 4k. Or they fixed a hosed up color job or something similar for it.

Yeah. Like, I'd get Alien on 4k in a heartbeat if they released it, but that's because the film has such stark darkness and light already that it would probably be gorgeous.

Aliens on the other hand... It's a great film, but not one I'd upgrade.

Speaking of which 2001 is gorgeous and is a total killer app. Like, if someone doesn't believe in HDR, put it on.

Also, the descriptive audio is hilarious.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yes and no. Don’t do the lovely one offs from Sorny and Republivox or whatever fake rear end brands that will come out, or the lovely SKUs from known MFGs and OEMs. Something like that UHD player is a regular offering that’s just a good deal.

However, I’m holding off because there’s still an issue of what players support which HDR standards right? Like Sony’s highest end UHD player is the only one w Dolby Vision or whatever.

EDIT: ultraviolence, that should be fine. Just won’t output 4K is all.

So, every player will output HDR on every disc that supports it. There are two standards - HDR-10 and Dolby Vision.

Dolby Vision is like DTS Master Audio in that there's an HDR-10 core that all players can understand. So you will get a better picture, but you'll get a more refined experience with Dolby Vision.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Timby posted:

Kathleen Kennedy is on record as saying that they aren't doing anything with the unaltered original trilogy, it's the Special Editions or nothing. The 4K remaster of the first movie that Gareth Edwards saw at ILM when he was making Rogue One has been confirmed to be the Special Edition.

I couldn't find any source where she says that definitively. There's a really bad interview where she's asked a really bad question that could be interpreted as "will you make any future changes to the films." It's really ambiguous.

That being said, I'm not going to be surprised either way. But given that there's a large fan-base that would want this, and given that Disney will own Star Wars completely, I could see it happening if they think there's enough money to be made. After all, we got the laserdisc rips released on DVD 14 years ago. It's not unprecedented.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Someone is trying to sell their collection of almost 20,000 movies on eBay for a million dollars:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19-036-Mov...BiZJe1QT-fs0Zu4

I feel like this is someone bragging rather than trying to sell. For example, 2001 4k came out a month ago. So, he's not looking to get rid of his collection, since he keeps adding to it.

And honestly, if he was trying to move it, he'd probably focus more on things that could potentially sell, like the Criterion Collection collection he has. It's just a bizarre thing all around.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

If I bought every movie I liked enough to own it I probably wouldn't get past 1,500. Anyone with a collection that size has a lot of poo poo just to have it.

The thing is this collection is, for all intents and purposes, worthless.

Think about it - who is going to purchase all these movies? Even if there were 1000 titles you really wanted and would be willing to spend 1,000,000 on, that means you'd be getting so much junk that you'd have to get rid of that it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

TV that was shot in video is such a shame. I mean it makes sense at the time since most TVs were under 24 inches, so it was cheaper, and a 15" tall OTA analog image is going to hide those flaws. OF course they didn't predict that anyone would still care about WKRP nearly 40 years later when people would have essentially small cinemas in their home.

I think most TV shows still ended up being shot on film. I know sitcoms tend to be a network by network thing, but almost all dramas were shot on film.

Except in the UK, where if you were inside, you shot on tape, but if you step outside, you'll be on film.

Fun fact - Paramount almost switched Cheers from film to video. They wanted to save money, but the test shot on tape looked horrible that the idea was quickly shelved. This was during the first season.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

They have that weird effect where everything smears like a vaseline acid trip if the camera pans too quickly, and candles/bright light sources create an unholy black flame and bright halo.

Are they kineoscopes?

Basically, a lot of early TV was recorded for later use by just filming a TV and using that as your output.

They have a pretty distinct look.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I understand why someone would want to have that film, especially if they're interested in the history of movies or race in America, and the set has quality features that contextualize and expand on the film.

I don't think there's anyone out there where their only racist tell is a copy of that movie.

It's easy to judge people, but maybe give them the benefit of the doubt. Like, if I love history, I might have a copy of Mein Kampf because it's a direct look into Hitler's mind. There's a value in that. Now, if I have that and a bunch of Screwdriver records, then yeah. There's something wrong there.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

The fact that Bill and Ted don't have a single sex scene together is homophobic.

Wait... They don't? The copy I own does...

It stars Keanu Reams and Alex Widehole and George All-in.

We're talking about the same movie, right? The erotic time traveling adventures of two slackers?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I was going to order it when it was on sale, but apparently the extra cuts and supplements are all DVDs instead of Blu-rays, which makes zero sense. The UK edition has proper Blu-rays, but it's expensive.

What?

Are we talking about the one with five cuts? The films are all on Blu-ray and in HD. Only the discs just dedicated to special features were DVD. If it has a cut of Blade Runner, that disc is a Blu.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I'll definitely check this out but I watched a Tech Moan video about Betamax and if I remember it correctly he basically said that it wasn't much better than VHS.

My understanding is that Betamax and VHS, when all was said and done with the formats, were mostly equivalent.

If Betamax looked better, that may have been because Sony refused to slow the tape to allow a longer record time. That would hurt the quality of the recording.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

As someone who thought that the Extended Editions of the original LOTR trilogy turned great movies into even better movies, I thought that the Extended Editions of the Hobbit trilogy would do the same thing.

And while it was cool seeing some of the extra scenes, especially all the added stuff with Gandalf at Dol Guldur. But the EE's didn't make them better movies.

Then I watched a fan edit that took out anything that wasn't in the original Hobbit book, and edited the trilogy down into one movie.

And it worked. It took 2 average movies and 1 poo poo movie, and turned them into one great movie.

There's a saying - writing is editing. And I imagine the same is true for movies. You can always add more, the secret is to know what to take away. The Hobbit is just bloated.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Paramount released The Death of Stalin in the US only on DVD.

It's like, why not just release it on Beta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

TerraFormars is... about as racist as something can possibly be by accident, yeah.

It's about a multinational UN force going to Mars to terraform it, except this action causes mutant humanoid cockroaches to take over the planet and start very messily killing people instead. The bugs are probably supposed to look like homo erectus (if you google homo erectus, one of the first image results looks almost exactly like the Terraformers' faces), but to the vast, vast majority of Western readers they just look like black people, which is A Bad Look.

Ever seen Mr. Popo from Dragon Ball Z? Dude is a loving black face caricature. Or Jinx from Pokemon?

I don't think it registers over there like it does with us.