Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wonderful news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really dig The Brood :shrug:

The Brood is fuckin' great, it's my favorite film of his. Videodrome is a close second of course. Also a big fan of eXistenz.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Is there an unfucked version of Predator out there?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

The recent UHD release was mostly unfucked, certainly it took care of the ridiculous DNR issue from previous releases.

Ok, I have the 3d version that I bought on a lark and yeah some of the DNR is pretty heavy.

Thanks guys.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Monday_ posted:

You know how old people's clothing style seems to get locked into whatever they wore when they were in their 20s or 30s and they stop trying to keep up with the times? Well the other day I saw a guy that had to be close to 60 and he was wearing a chullo hat, baja jacket and cargo shorts, like he'd just crawled out of a Counting Crows video.

This is 100% not true, otherwise most boomers would be wearing bell-bottoms or off-one-shoulder sweatshirts.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

How long is the Waterworld tv cut? 3 hours? I think that honestly might be exactly what it needs.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

How far are you sitting from the tv?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Spatulater bro! posted:

About 7 feet. I know that seems close, but keep in mind that the recommend distance for 4K is 1-1.5 times the diagonal of the screen. So with a 75" that puts me right in that zone.

Well recommended or not I would go with the 65", you're only a foot and change from optimal.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Man I wish Candyman was included in that Scream Factory sale, that's one of the few horror movies that I don't own that's incredibly good and I wish I did

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I ended up getting Army of Darkness (for like the 8th time), Lord of Illusion, and Prince of Darkness.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW, ended up dropping 200 bucks on Scream Factory sale, thank you whoever posted that. You are a horrible monster.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

Usually a good assumption but Shannon Elizabeth really had no talent. There really was just nothing there, she was never going to be able to pull off any serious role.

She was a decent professional poker player.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

On paper Cutthroat Island is incredible. They blew up a real pirate ship! Frank Langella as a pirate captain! Geena Davis at the absolute peak of her physical beauty as a rogueish pirate! A gazillion dollars on sets! A great score! And it's a drat mess

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

My wife got me the Moon Knight one because it was literally the only piece of Moon Knight poo poo she could buy me under a 20 dollar price point as a stocking stuffer.

It pretty much looks like Moon Knight because he's such a simple and iconic character who is mostly faceless. It's the only action figure on my desk at home and my son likes to play with the bobblehead on it. Honestly it's kind of embarrassing because of the reputation these dang things have. If it were just a Precious Moments Moon Knight figure I would probably feel a lot better about it. But hey....Moon Knight.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean Funko is really just Precious Moments for the present day. There's always been stylized figs or art that your aunt or mom or whatever can put on their shelf. Just somebody figured out to include nerds. It's Thomas Kinkade level.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Boywhiz88 posted:

Secondly, physical home media is dead.

Physical disc sales still make up 33% of household movie spending. It's not "dead".

BTW CD sales beat digital download sales last year.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/22/17152120/digital-downloads-cd-vinyl-riaa-2017-report

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Boywhiz88 posted:

How much of that was DVD vs BD/UHD? The bottom most tier is gonna survive because there’s Alaska and lovely internet throughout the US, etc. but if you can afford BD, you can probably afford and/or have access to digital media.

The point is it's not "dead". You can come up with whatever rationalizations you like but I'm tired of people pretending that the shelves and end-caps full of physical media in every fuckin' Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Costco, and other big box stores across the country don't exist or just sit there gathering dust. They move.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Something you can go into every single major store in the USA and buy is not dead, even if it loses shelf space, this is a stupid conversation where you said "it's dead and that's why this thread exists" and when you're immediately proven wrong you're like "well I didn't mean it right now" and had to defend your ego with "well what about BAD INTERNET??!??!". I'm not interested, sorry. It's going to stabilize exactly like CDs did and still be widely available and even have good/great years depending on the release schedule. Also the streaming services are going to continue to fragment which might have some interesting effects on physical media. Have a good one.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I project Blu-Rays on a 90 inch screen outdoors and they look great. Honestly the amount of light output on your projector is at least as important as the resolution when you get that big, IMO of course.

CRAYON posted:

I was so sad when I walked in to my local Best Buy about a month ago. I wanted to show my partner the film Blade and thought Best Buy will definitely have that and I'll finally own the blu-ray. Nope. :(

https://www.amazon.com/Blade-Trilogy-Blu-ray-Various/dp/B00SJFG6L0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541097480&sr=8-1&keywords=blade+blu-ray

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CRAYON posted:

Yeah? The point of the story was it's now harder to walk into a local store and find the movie you want to watch that night.

No. Your story was about how it's now harder to walk into a store and find a specific 20-year-old movie in stock out of thousands.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/blade-blu-ray-1998/5855315.p?skuId=5855315

Best Buy carries Blade Blu-Ray.

MacheteZombie posted:

I have a DVD copy and two blu ray copies of the thing. I might by a third version of the thing in the near future. My dad has my VHS copy of the thing in his attic. It's probably ruined, but it's there!

I have 3 fuckin' copies of The Thing Blu-Ray.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

TheScott2K posted:

The "moment" has been momenting for 10+ years now. It's not a moment, it's just how things are now. A whole lot fewer people are going to burn $20 or more to "own" a movie when there's at least one thing on Netflix that's good enough for tonight.

This is absolutely true. Having said that, physical media was growing for 7/10 of the last years.

Streaming is absolutely a replacement for movie rentals. But people are still going to have a....let's call it a "relationship" with a certain movie and want to own it.

Likewise if streaming gets too fragmented it is no longer able to act as a replacement for your traditional defunct Blockbuster then RedBox may gain prominence.

There's almost no entertainment market that's buttoned up in a particular way for more than a decade, I'm sure things are going to change. Physical media absolutely has a floor of market share and will never be completely gone. You'll always be able to order Blu-Rays - or 4k or HD ULTRA HOLOCUBES or whatever it ends up being - online, for any movie released in the next 20 years. Count on it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sir Lemming posted:

I definitely don't think buying stuff will go away, especially with the impending Netflixocalypse, but physical media just might.

If this actually happens we will exist in such a monopoly-dominated economic hellscape that it will be the least of our concerns.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

TheScott2K posted:

Physical media won't "go away" by the extremely literal definition a lot of people here are using, but it's definitely on its way out as a mass consumer product. Its destiny seems to be living in that laserdisc place where it makes money by catering to diehards while a large number of people just assume it doesn't exist anymore.

It's probably closer to CDs, where they hold a significant and relatively stable market share and lots of people buy them and every release comes out on the format but it doesn't register for whatever reason.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sir Lemming posted:

On the other hand, the used market is probably gone forever.

Not on consoles, which still does a plurality of their sales in - you guessed it - physical media.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Get yourself the Star Wars Silver Screen edition which keeps all the 70s color timings and poo poo. Looks great.

Image is a little soft sometimes but it's a small price to pay.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Spatulater bro! posted:

You're not a very intelligent person.

I'm speaking from experience: you're posting the kind of poo poo that will get brought up two years from now as an illustration of how dumb and racist you are. Think real hard about why "the first half with the war and relationships" might be part of the racist propaganda and can't be cleanly separated from it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's incredible to me that in an internet forum, where you can read the content of someone's posts and rewind the conversation to any point to see what was actually said, people still regularly simply do not address what was written, but rather some invented tangent that they conjured from nowhere.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Vagabundo posted:

Here's the Amazon listing if anyone wants to buy it.

https://www.amazon.com/Charmed-Seas...in%3A2650304011

This is how people launder money.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I am SO happy about Wheels on Meals!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

caligulamprey posted:

Roar is one of the most anxiety-inducing films I've ever seen and I spent the entire time screaming NO NO NO NO NO at the screen.

Five stars.

Yeah it's honestly a horror movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I can barely remember the 70s. I've talked to 90s kids and Zoomers and their ideas of the 80s are fuckin' ridiculous pastiche from pop culture and have no resemblance to reality. This is some real "degenerate Hollyweird" poo poo

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

My summation of the 80s is basically Cola and Pizza wars, Back to the Future, tape decks, hi-fis and VCRs, He-Man, My Little Pony, Rainbow Brite, taking the bus everywhere with my parents, Nintendo, Captain N, GI Joe, TMNT, a complete ignorance of 90% of pop culture, and saturday morning TV shows.

You forgot Where's the Beef

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sanguinia posted:

I for one welcome our 90's Nostalgia Overlords.

The pinch boxes are 100% mid-80s. Then they went to those horrible clamshells for the 90s. Bring back the pinch boxes!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gripweed posted:

Say those seven words that make my heart all aflutter

Obligatory "what girls think guys want/want they actually want" image.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CPL593H posted:

The non-lovely French Connection blu-ray is four bucks on amazon.

Thanks for the heads up! Appreciated.

Edit: by the time I got there it was 7 bucks. Odd.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 15, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

PinkoBastard posted:

I will never ever stop buying movies.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

For a while they were all "character"/supporting actors but even that seems to be on the way out.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

Dolls have clothes action figures do not.

The clothes are their weapons. :smug:

J/K it's honestly a pretty good point, but Skeletor and He-Man really did have clothes! These stupid metal belt harnesses that went around their chests that every kid immediately broke or lost.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Xenomrph posted:

Is Everything Everywhere All at Once worth a blind buy at $18?
Or do you guys think the price might come down even lower and I should wait?

No. It's very twee. I would say for a blind buy around $10 is around the right price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm sad I couldn't get Righting Wrongs. Oh well.