Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Couple UV codes. Please post if you take one, so others know not to bother.

Good Time: TAKEN
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets: TAKEN

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

That would be interesting to read about, but maybe better for a different thread where it won't just get read by weirdos who still buy plastic discs.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Today I learned that my Blu-ray copy of Take Shelter has tripled in value.

Also, here's some UV codes. Please post if you take one so others know not to bother:

Deadpool 1: TAKEN

The Raid 2: TAKEN

mother!: TAKEN

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 20, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

The nice thing about getting older is knowing when you're off the train with a franchise. After Furious 7 was fine but tonally weird, and F8 was just bad, I know "my" end to the F&F movies was 6, so if I see a 1-6 boxset I can just jump on it and not give a gently caress.

Justin Lin (who directed 3-6) is back for 9 and 10.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Thanks for the notice. Picked up The New World.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

The one reason I do still care about physical media for movies, despite what I said earlier, is that it's one more obstacle to movie companies going subscription-streaming-only and flat out not releasing any "ownable" copy at all. In truth there is no reason they can't still let us "own" an MPEG file or whatever, and I wouldn't miss the discs. But I do worry that if it gets to that point, they could just say "hey guys we're killing off our digital downloads, but don't worry, you can still stream." It'd be a drat near perfect anti-piracy measure, AKA the holy grail of the movie industry, so I'd be foolish not to be wary of it.

I assure you that you can find pirated copies of streaming-only media as easily as stuff with a physical release. You don't have to wait for the Blu-rays to come out for Game of Thrones to hit Pirate Bay.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

I have to say I agree with this rule. Think about how irritating and confusing it would be to have labels putting out SD content on Blu-ray. We'd have interminable conversations about "real Blu-ray" vs "fake Blu-ray". I sleep easy knowing that Blu-ray = HD.

It would be nice to have that guarantee, but as EL BROMANCE pointed out with 28 Days Later, Blu-ray doesn't necessarily equal HD because distributors put out discs that are just upscales of SD sources.

Also, there do seem to be Blu-rays that are literally just SD content. Search for "SD Blu-ray." They're rare, but it doesn't seem to be the case that there's a blanket ban on shoving a bunch of SD content on a Blu-ray.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Also, keep in mind that not all 2K formats are the same. A DCI 2K file for theatrical projection could be ten times the size of the eventual Blu-ray, and that can store additional detail even if the number of pixels is about the same.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 1, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I know the movie itself has a mixed reputation around here, but sweet jesus does the 4K UHD for Pacific Rim look good.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Also, my work is getting a pair of OLED 4K TVs next week. I have to set them up with the soundbar/UHD Bluray accessories, so what's a good reference disc? I think the HDR standard is Coco(?) but I already have a blu copy of that. Maybe T2 or Predator??

Pacific Rim. Best my OLED 4K TV has ever looked.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

How long does this last?

quote:

But make sure you reap your rewards now – once the clock strikes midnight* on October 15, 2018, these deals will be over.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Whatever his faults, Renny Harlin at least won 2014's battles of the Herculeses against noted shitbag Brett Ratner.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Some movies for anyone who'd like them. Please post if you take one so others don't bother. These are all from the 4K UHD versions, which I think gets you the 4K digital version if you use the right services.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day: TAKEN

Sicario: Day of the Soldado: TAKEN

Step Brothers: TAKEN

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 29, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Some codes for those who might like them. Please post if you take one so that others know not to bother.

Mission Impossible: Fallout (4K): TAKEN
First Reformed: CB506G1ASYCM9298

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 8, 2019

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Not sure why, other than perhaps a bit easier time getting the perfect viewing angle, but I've liked 3D way more on my TV than at the theater, even if there's only a handful of movies worth using it with.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dredd's 3D is very good, though to me it's Gravity where 3D and a big screen are essential, or at least turn it into a whole other experience.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I'd love to see a bunch of old poo poo like this (and especially House of Wax) in 3D but not enough to buy a whole tv for it. Do they even make tvs with that anymore?

Nope, last of the hold-outs dropped it in 2017, I believe.

I wouldn't have bought a TV just for 3D, but I kinda like having it given my TV came with it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

Kino is having a flash sale on high-stock blu-rays/dvds through February 10th:

https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/february-2019-sale

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, recast Hannibal Lecter so it’s just another adaptation of one of the books and not a sequel to a different sort of movie and I think it gets a better reception. Not that Anthony Hopkins himself is a negative, though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

This is why you do your shelves alphabetically for easy retrieval then indicate genre in your spreadsheet with checkboxes for each genre you want to track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rather than leave a big gap at the end of each genre section you can just leave a little gap on each shelf. At least, that works fine for me and I only have to do a big shuffle when I need to buy a new bookcase anyways.