Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CHALK!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CPL593H posted:

This is loving bullshit, when it was announced they said it was coming with plutonium.

They said it came with plutonium, but it actually came with the innards from a pinball machine.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

The first gift I ever bought for my mother was a widescreen copy of Die Hard with a Vengeance on VHS in a gold clamshell case because she didn't raise a dummy (debatable).

Heh, that was the 20th Century Fox Special Editions that were released in widescreen. I had Broken Arrow and Aliens in those cases.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

The Stranger Thing blues for S1 at Target are done in a really great packaging that just screams tactile nostalgia.

It'd be perfect if it was the kind of chunky textured plastic from the 80s.

I think the season 2 id like that

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

The disc is gonna be pan-and-scan somehow

and HD-DVD

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

There does appear to be reports of some things wrong with some of the discs

https://twitter.com/Scream_Factory/status/1314668095747702784?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

The first versions of Seven, Ben-Hur, and Amadeus were like that for sure too.

The Wild Bunch was another you had to flip halfway through.

I've got a Special Edition of First Blood that's two disc: Disc 1 is Widescreen, Disc 2 is Full Screen.

Talking about weird early DVDs, I had a copy of The Road Warrior, that when you selected "Scene Select", it would only give you the option of jumping to every third scene. The menu screen was also just a generic Warner Brothers logo.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 21, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Do any of you know why the second volume of the Betty Boop Essentials Collection is impossible to find right now? The others are easily available and it's going to drive me nuts to just have 1, 3, and 4.

Blu- Ray or DVD? 'cause Amazon has the DVD for 18.00

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Blu-ray. It seems to be out of stock on every site I've looked. It's weird. Hopefully it's just a weird thing at this point in time.

https://olivefilms.com/product/betty-boop-essential-collection-vol-2/

Was able to select and add the Blu-Ray version to the cart and calculate shipping. I didn't go further than that though. Good luck!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Cool, thanks! Don't know how I missed their site!

*salutes*

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gripweed posted:

SRS Cinema claim to have shipped my copy of Howl From Beyond The Fog on November 15th and USPS says it's still in pre-shipment. This is so hosed up.

The USPS mail service has been hosed so bad ... I had something that shipped in Oct, and only got it YESTERDAY.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

One of my favorite memories of working at Blockbuster was having to order more and more copies of "Jerry Springer's Too Hot for TV!" because we could not keep those things on the shelf.

We ended up with one whole wall segment with over a hundred copies of the Jerry Springer tapes for rent.

We once had a employee from another location fill in for a shift, and he was absolutely dumb struck. His location didn't carry them at all, and no one ever asked for them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/OrlandoArocena/status/1347602742592876551?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My stance on Crystal Skull has softened considerably in the years since release and I think there are some genuinely fun sequences that make it worth watching, but holy hell is Shia Labeouf still one of the most baffling casting choices. Hes just laughable.

He was the "In" thing at the time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

I've never seen prince of darkness but I bought the 4k. Should I move fast on watching that

Yes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Scream_Factory/status/1369012527707787264?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ultraviolence123 posted:

CDs absolutely rule. I have thousands and they are currently really cheap unless you're a old metal dork like me and you want a specific pressing of an album, then they become extremely expensive. One that I've been hunting for popped up on eBay a few weeks ago and sold for almost $130 (I didn't win this auction).

Or the Japanese edition of the album which has three exclusive tracks not available elsewhere.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CPL593H posted:

When I was in high school the go-to movie for "The teacher is out today/It's the end of the year and even though finals are done you have to be here." movie was Remember the Titans. I loving hate that movie. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate it. It's a bunch of sappy middlebrow neo-liberal garbage that pays lip service to the evils of racism but in a safe non-threatening way so white people won't feel bad. That typical, "The 50s/60s were bad but it's okay now. And it's just generally a cliched piece of poo poo movie. And everyone LOVED it. I remember one day the teacher of my TV production class was out so he had a box of movies and among others it was Star Wars, Jurassic Park, AND GUESS WHAT ELSE?

So we did a show of hands thing and almost everyone was hyped about watching Remember the Titans again. I swear to god the school must have got some kind of overstock from a video distributor that was just eight boxes of Remember the Titans. I hate Remember the Titans.

I hate it.

Ours was Dead Poets Society. God, what a piece of poo poo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hook is not a good film

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hirsute posted:

I like watching movies with commentary tracks if they have them, but I'm kind of annoyed when some films in a series have commentaries and others don't. Most recently noticed this with the John Wick movies, the first 2 have commentaries but the 3rd one doesn't even though Chad Stahelski directed all 3 and Keanu Reeves starred in all 3. Why wouldn't they just record a commentary? Doesn't seem like that much extra work.

I was disappointed that Shout's SE BR of Escape from L.A. didn't have a Carpenter/Russell commentary.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

Yeah, the commentary on "The Thing" is great.

"There's Wilford Brimley..."

"Yeah, he's a long way from those oatmeal commercials... "

The SE of Escape from New York includes commentary on the excised first reel, and at one point in it, Snake leaps over a turnstile, and Kurt says "Can't do that anyone."

Then there's the Big Trouble in Little China where the spend half the time talking about Kurt's kid playing hockey, so much so that at one point Kurt's like "I guess we should talk about the movie."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

As far as I know, there was never a R1 release for Ghostwatch