Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'll second Christmas Evil but I'm surprised nobody mentioned Liquid Sky, that movie is something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Probably a day 1 purchase for me for El Topo and Holy Mountain, but I don't know anything about Fando Y Lis. What type of film is it?

Kinda mediocre, to be honest. Some neat imagery in a Fellini kinda way but nowhere near as satisfying as El Topo or Holy Mountain or Santa Sangre

that La Cravate short is a lot of fun though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I've noticed that a bunch of poo poo that Shout lost the rights to has been popping up from other labels. Kino Lorber has a blu-ray and a UHD Mad Max now. There are others floating around but I can't remember what they are.

Terror Train is one of em, I forget who picked it up but for a while the Scream Factory blu ray was fetching a lot of money

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

RIP Warner Archive

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Normally this would bother me but I'm so happy that Rush Limbaugh finally dropped dead so nothing can ruin my day.

what if Rush Limbaugh was secretly funding the Warner Archive this whole time

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

CDs sound better. Fight me.

in theory, except they start skipping if you even look at them wrong

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Vinyl counterpoint: 1 speck of dust = 1 pop/click.

that's a feature not a bug

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ultraviolence123 posted:

That is a pretty sweet find. I've never come across Cirith Ungol CDs in the wild, and growing up there used to be a metal shop about six blocks from my house. Even struggle with finding them on eBay.

I unfortunately missed out on getting the repress of Cirith Ungol's demo on the true superior audio format: cassette tape

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Ours was Dead Poets Society. God, what a piece of poo poo.

For being Peter Weir’s only bad movie, it’s still not that bad

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have that previous Daimajin blu ray release, one of the first blu rays i got.

I got the Mill Creek Heisei Gamera set at the same time, unfortunately Attack of Legion stops playing halfway through though so I gotta upgrade to the Arrow one at some point.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I sorta see the merits of the shorter cut, but I do think the longer cut of Deep Red is the way to go, Daria Nicolodi is so good and like half her scenes are gone in the short version. And it's the rare horror movie that's paced well enough that it still feels brisk at 2 hours.

Basebf555 posted:

I'd say Deep Red is either the best giallo of all time, or at least the second best. Only Bava's Blood and Black Lace may be better, but it's a tough call. Suspiria and Inferno are my favorite Argento films but they aren't giallo.

I'd probably go Deep Red too but other best-giallo-ever contenders I'd throw out there:

Don't Torture a Duckling
The Perfume of the Lady in Black
The Black Belly of the Tarantula

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Thanks for this.

Any Severin stand-out releases? I already bought the Santa Sangria 4k.

I'm planning on the The Complete Lenzi Baker giallo collection, Day of the Beast, Perdita Durango, All the Colors of the Dark, and maybe Grizzly.

Any other recommendations? I'm open to sleazy suggestions, too.

The Uncanny rules if you like cats, horror anthologies, and/or Peter Cushing.

and yeah Day of the Beast and Perdita Durango are essential.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

My favorite obsolete physical media format is the Capacitance Electronic Disc, this bizarre thing that looks like a vinyl record inside a big, flat NES cartridge. I stumbled upon a bunch of them at an antique market years ago and wish I had bought a couple, even if I had no way to play them they would make great decorations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

If you like long form youtube videos a guy did this great four parter on the history of the CED. It's a really interesting story. The account is called Technology Connections.

I've been weirdly fascinated with those things since I first discovered them so this may be enough to get me to overcome my distaste for long form youtube videos, thank you.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I finally have a working VCR again and am getting back into VHS collecting, god help me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I hate to be That Guy but Henry is one of those rare movies that I think actually benefits from being watched on a crappy video tape. I usually scoff when people say this but I actually think this for once, especially in the context of what might be that film's most disturbing scene. It's technically a great film but not one I'd ever sit through again.

I'd sorta disagree with this. Like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, watching it on a grainy VHS doesn't exactly hurt and does have a certain charm (maybe moreso for Henry than TCM since Henry is shot in 4:3), but both are also movies that, properly cleaned up and restored, look kind of stunning.

Henry is a brutal, brutal movie but outside of that scene you mentioned, I find it kind of shockingly watchable. Just goes to show what a great job McNaughton did directing it that something with content so hideous is so compelling to watch.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sounds like something the Coens might've done themselves, they did something similar with Blood Simple back in the day (edit: lol i didn't click thru to the full image that says exactly this). That said, kinda glad I found out now, I have the old blu ray but was considering upgrading to the Criterion one during the next sale.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 16, 2022

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I found a blu-ray of FW Murnau's Sunrise in a thrift store. I've never seen it but for three bucks I wasn't passing that up. It also has some of the worst cover art I've ever seen but you can't have everything.

That’s a good find.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Michael Caine is straight up terrifying in Get Carter. I think I heard a rumor we're getting a Criterion edition sometime soon?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Kino is releasing New Year's Evil in April, so that's the essential thing to buy from them now.

theme song whips rear end

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dark Glow of the Mountains and La Soufriere are great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

What's weird is that those are the Batman movies where Batman doesn't say "I'm Batman"

He definitely says it in Batman ‘89, it’s like one of the most memorable parts of the movie.

I know he says it in Batman & Robin too because Clooney gives it a really half-assed delivery, it’s great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

I'd watch Incredibly Strange Creatures... just for the fact that Vilmos Zsigmond (McCabe and Mrs. Miller, Blow Out, Close Encounters of the Third Kind), Laszlo Kovacs (Ghostbusters, Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces), and Joseph Mascelli (writer of "The Five Cs of Cinematography") shot it.

I have seen this movie in MST3K form but somehow did not know this insane bit of trivia

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I still haven't bought copies yet but I'm forever thankful for Severin for getting El dia de la Bestia and Perdita Durango back in print.

Plus they introduced me to The Uncanny (excellent cat-themed british horror anthology with Peter Cushing, Susan Penhaligon, Donald Pleasance, and Samantha Eggar) and, through the folk horror box set, Eyes of Fire & Clear Cut.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ultraviolence123 posted:

Argento, Cronenberg, Carpenter, Kubrick

you'd want to own every Argento movie? really?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ultraviolence123 posted:

I legit own every Argento movie, multiple times. Including Dracula 3D. And Phantom of the Opera. And Giallo. I thought it was good

honestly, respect.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Roadhouse is shockingly good and I think Arrow actually did a very nice blu ray of it didn't they? or was it Shout Factory?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Westworld only had one season what are you marks talking about?

Westworld is a kickass movie starring Yul Brynner as a robot cowboy, what are you talking about

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Also a great example of how major studios were still releasing movies that were under 90 minutes as recently as 2005

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino Lorber just announced....

The Draughtman's Contract - June 13
- 4K restoration by BFI
- Commentary by Peter Greenaway
- Video introduction (10 min)
- Deleted scenes
- Behind the scenes/interviews
- Interview with Michael Nyman
- Short films: Intervals, Windows, Dear Phone, Water Wrackets
- Trailer

saw this restoration on the big screen last month, it looks fantastic, also this is a 10/10 brilliant movie if you've never seen it. FFO: Barry Lyndon

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i remember the Wallace Shawn bits in Vegas Vacation being pretty funny

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I bought a copy of The Meteor Man on blu ray last year and here we are a year later and still no UHD announcement, so it's not an exact science!

how does that movie hold up?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Hard for me to really judge, it was one of my favorite movies growing up and watching it kinda transforms me into a 9 year old again.

word. i haven't seen it since i was about that age either but rewatching Hollywood Shuffle recently got me curious about it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

3D doesn't give me a headache but it is ugly as hell

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

is evil dead 2013 worth watching? it seems like a remake/reimagining of the original, but ii was already kind of that? how the hell does this fit in?

has its moments. not great but above par for a 2010s horror remake.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i have a lot of love for the Nightbreed theatrical cut even though the expanded cut is inarguably a more "complete" version

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'll probably just stick with my Criterion Bruce box set. I love that set.

i just got this out from the library and have been watching thru them, they're sick. had only seen Enter the Dragon and Game of Death before the box set came out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah i just did Fist of Fury, Bruce really whips a lot of rear end in that one.

i actually caught a 35mm screening of Enter the Dragon a week or so ago and it precipitated me taking the box set out. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid and like, yo.... it rules so hard lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's always bittersweet because it's like poo poo I can only watch these four or five(depending on if you count Game of Death) movies so many times before I burn them out. If Bruce had lived another 20 years can you imagine the library of great stuff we'd have to enjoy?

i've been interspersing them with Jackie Chan movies which has been fun, especially since you can play "Where's Jackie?" in some of those Bruce Lee movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

amazing movie, glad it's getting more eyes on it