Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I got an Xbox one x and blue planet 2 on uhd and holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

roffels posted:

Yup. I don't think a 90 minute bus ride from Minneapolis is worth the effort.

Also the Trylon showed Lawrence of Arabia some months back, so the sting is lessened.

I wish they would be doing these as more than single showings or at least on days I don't loving work.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

david_a posted:

I never really encountered Pat in either TV or movie form back in the day and I couldn’t get through the trailer. I think you’re right; the central “joke” doesn’t work at all anymore and based on the trailer that’s all it had going for it.

I've never seen the movie but if I'm remembering correctly from My Year of Flops, I think the central message of it was that it didn't actually matter and Pat and their equally androgynous love interest get married at the end. Which would make it pretty progressive for the time if that's the case.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

I can import all the titles except for Masque of the Red Death, which is probably the best one in the set.

That's a weird way to spell Witchfinder General.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Boinks posted:

I imagine that the early Mickey Mouse cartoons will be passing into the public domain soon.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Wait are you serious?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

My understanding of these things was always that 4K in a home video context is just a marketing gimmick because you'd need a screen measured in feet and not inches to actually see the difference between that and 1080p.

It depends on how close the screen is, too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Are arrow releases region free? I want that Elvira.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That Shout Factory Herzog collection looks dope, hmmm....

From what I hear the transfer quality is all over the place in it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Speaking of Shout, my Creepshow disc came today. The whole package here is some criterion level poo poo. Super impressive.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Amazon just delayed my matrix trilogy 4k set and not a single store here has them in stock. gently caress.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Best Buy lists them as available today in the stores near me so I'll be interested to see what happens when I swing by later. Typically their attitude when I ask about blu ray releases is "it'll show up on the shelf when it shows up, or maybe it won't, why are you bothering me about a stupid blu ray old man?"

It showed up later near me so I put in a pick up order. I figure if they actually get it to me today I'll cancel the Amazon one.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I went in to the store, saw that nothing had been put out on the new release shelf, and asked someone to look it up. They said they did not have any in stock. I acted confused like wow that's really weird you'd think a Best Buy would have a movie like The Matrix on the day it comes out, would you mind checking in the back? Sure enough, she's in the back for 2 minutes and the whole box of Matrix UHDs were just sitting there waiting to be checked into their system.

They're saying mine is ready for pickup. So probably the same poo poo at mine.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I like a lot of those steelbooks. Not the comic book ones though, those suck.

The Matrix looks loving amazing on UHD, by the way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm only upgrading stuff to UHD if it's a thing I really love or I hear it's revelatory in 4k. Or they fixed a hosed up color job or something similar for it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Although I will make an exception for new releases I had already planned on picking up if the 4K is within $5 of the regular Blu.

Oh yeah, all new movies will be UHD if available cause why not.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

One theoretical advantage to digital purchases which I'd love to see become standard (but I'm certainly not holding my breath) is how Google and Apple did a thing where they automatically upgraded all digitally purchased movies to 4K (if available). Of course, not having used those services myself, I have no idea how much freedom/portability they offer.

This poo poo is super hit and miss, and I've had them actually downgrade me back to hd before too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

No Sister Street Fighter in the set kinda sucks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Thanks to all the discussion of all the different versions of the OT in here, I finally checked out 4K77. I've been a diehard fan of Harmy's Despecialized editions for a few years now, but I've been hearing buzz about 4K77 for a while.

I did a bunch of back to back comparisons between the latest version (2.7) of the Despecialized A New Hope and 4K77. 4K77 is undeniably sharper. I think I like the color grading of the Despecialized version more, but the picture seems kinda muddy in comparison to 4K77. I think 4K77 is the definitive way I'll be watching one of my all-time favorite movies from now on.

I absolutely love restorations like this. For a while I was watching my "faces" VHS collection and appreciating that I had that available to me, then I switched over to the Despecialized editions a few years ago and was blown away and appreciated that I had that available to me, and now 4K77 comes along and blows me away again.

It's like the recent Beatles albums that have been remixed by Giles Martin. I've been listening to the original versions of those albums literally since my first few years on this Earth, but those songs have never sounded better to me than they do now that these versions of them are available.

I appreciate the efforts of people like Giles Martin and Harmy and Team Negative so loving much because these things have been near and dear to my heart for as long as I can remember and somehow those folks are able to keep making decades-old material sound and look better and better all the time. It's like magic.

Harmy is doing new versions using the 4k stuff as a base now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The best part of the set is it takes the same amount of space as a single volume of the DVDs.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Twin Cinema posted:

I am asking this here because I have a million dollars and looking to spend it. I want to own two copies of each Hangover film.

Are you in some kind of Brewster's Millions situation?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

I kind of enjoyed seeing the handful of episodes of Twilight Zone they shot on 60's-rear end video as a cost saving method.

I found them to be literally unwatchable. Like I watched about five minutes of the first one and then never touched any of the others shot that way when I first got the Blu-ray set.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I know the film's technical importance in film making but the scene from the BlackkKlansman makes me reluctant to ever watch it.

It holds the same place as Triumph of the Will. It's a technically genius film that holds an important place in film history but no one ever needs to actually watch because you can see examples of all those same techniques from later films that aren't abhorrent in their subject matter. Do they belong in a museum and in a film class? Sure. Do they belong on anyone's shelf at home? I mean, you do you, but I'd probably sever immediately from anyone who owned either and not believe any "but history" reason they gave me for why they have it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Boinks posted:

People are so sensitive these days, we're almost at the point where owning Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure makes you a homophobe.

No but it is pretty weird if that joke doesn't make you cringe.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The universal monster collection was on sale and I had Amazon bucks so I grabbed it. I wish someone would consolidate the Hammer poo poo and put out a similar set for them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

In case y'all missed the Criterion thread, Amazon UK has the Zatoichi mega boxset for 21 pounds / 30USD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GNRVVSL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_g76cCb3C0K7C9

Are these region free?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Here's a movies anywhere copy of Atomic Blonde. The *s are the first letter in the title of the movie.

Y*4PL*ML*X7J

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

Really, why?
Hardware shouldn't be an issue.

The software is all garbage. Even the paid poo poo doesn't work right half the time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

Sister Street Fighter Collection (includes Sister Street Fighter, Sister Street Fighter: Hanging by a Thread, Return of the Sister Street Fighter and Sister Street Fighter: Fifth Level Fist)

gently caress yes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't really know what to do with my double dips yet. I've only got a few right now, and it's not like there's anything special about most of these DVDs, but as more things get the UHD treatment it's going to pile up.

I've just been giving mine to friends who like but don't own the movies in question.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, this really is it. I have a friend, and I keep telling her to get a Blu-Ray player so she can borrow my Blu-Rays, but it never happens. She has a 55" HDTV, and is still watching DVDs

I had a friend like this who I literally gave my old stand alone Blu-ray player too after I got a 4k player.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They still haven't fixed that loving blue spot on Jokers neck.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

So yea Batman 4k is pretty stunning, and based on the reviews on bluray.com I'm expecting more of the same from Batman Returns when I watch it later.

Batman 4k is one of the best looking transfers I've ever seen.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

But the covers are so ugly

There's a box set that looks better coming in a couple months!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ghostbusters 2 is fine. There are scenes like the court room that are actually better than anything in the first movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alec Eiffel posted:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Arrival-Blu-ray/195466/

This Arrival steelbook always blows my mind when I see it. Why yes, I would like Jeremy Renner's weird looking face on this "collectible" item.

They did a whole series of them in this style and they all sucked.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

wa27 posted:

https://twitter.com/DAVID_LYNCH/status/1142477362925146112?s=19

Lynch don't want you to buy the Kino Lorber release.

Saved me $20.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A few of my Criterions fell off of the 6+ foot shelf I have them on, onto a hard tile floor, and a few of them hit on the corner and basically shattered. I'm very, very happy Criterion thought of this possibility and sells replacement cases right now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

It's probably the one argument for the digipack book style covers, but the corners on those also get destroyed very quickly

I hate it so much that it seems like they're going all in on digipacks. The slightly fat clear cases are iconic.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Kinda weird that as of mid-August the entire MCU will be available in UHD but for some reason still no Guardians of the Galaxy.

Are they finally putting out the other stuff that's not in UHD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, first two Thor films and Iron Man trilogy coming out the same day as Endgame.

Nice. Hopefully better releases than the European 4k ones, which I hear suck.

E: Does anyone know when stuff like this goes up on Disney movie club for pre-order?

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 10, 2019