Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Daniel Bryan posted:

Truth. I got screamed at last week because the only way to get The Last Jedi on DVD was to buy a limited edition Blu Ray. At least they didn’t ask me to “just sell them the DVD at half price”. The latter happens far more than you’d hope.

Well, part of that was probably how overpriced Disney/Marvel/Star Wars stuff always tends to be when its first released. Most normal movies you can find for 17.99 or maybe 22.99 max, but of course for Star Wars they want 27.99 and that price isn't dropping for months.

I like still having the option to grab a cheap DVD because I love old horror movies and westerns, so there are tons of those that haven't made their way to blu ray yet but they're still perfectly watchable on DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't think it's that odd when people throw away those basic blue cases that every blu ray comes in, I get that. But if you're spending money on the stuff that's designed more for collectors(Criterion, steelbooks, nicer box sets) then I don't understand why you wouldn't want to have them on a nice little shelf in your living room.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

when I got the Vengeance trilogy blu-rays I threw away the outer box and shelved them separately by title :twisted:

I've done this before, because a lot of those outer boxes are just flimsy cardboard and the cases inside are the exact same ones they sell individually.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Half the appeal of having a nice movie collection for me is that I can go over the shelf and look at everything and choose something to watch that fits whatever mood I'm in at the moment. If they were all just stuffed in a box it'd be much less practical and satisfying to do that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hirsute posted:

When people say slipcovers do they mean the cardboard things with the same graphics/info as the front and back of the actual case? I always throw those out because the cardboard gets nicked up and it just adds an extra step to taking the disc out of the case.

Nah, I think most people do throw those out because they're redundant. The slip cover is the actual cover that goes inside the plastic of the case(I'm pretty sure?).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Alan Anthology Blu rays are still around. They’re just a bit more compact than the older ones.

They fluctuate between 40 and 20 bucks.

He's talking about a specific collectors edition that isn't being made anymore, so really it's all about packaging. If you don't care about packaging than you'll probably never have to worry about paying collector's market prices for blu ray, even in 2040.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I prefer to have nicer packaging that sets itself apart from all the identical blue plastic cases, BUT it's gotta still be a relatively normal size and shape so that it doesn't become annoying to place in it's proper place on my shelf. Criterion digi packs are probably my personal favorite, they look and feel really nice but they're still easy to file and store.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

I love steelbooks the most. I bought the phantasm set that comes with a sphere and it's also super amazing on my shelf.

Yea I always will drop an extra few bucks if I can get my hands on a steelbook. I'd probably already have The Last Jedi but I'm waiting for the Best Buy steelbook to drop in price, which I know it will because they always order like a billion of them and they just sit there rotting on the shelves for months. Eventually I'll get it for like $15. They had a pretty sweet Atomic Blonde Steelbook as well, and right now there's a John Wick 1+2 combo steelbook. That one I'm passing on though because JW3 is coming out and I'll just buy them all in one set.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh yea like probably millions of others my first DVD was The Matrix. It really felt revolutionary to watch The Matrix on DVD at that time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

loving hell the Bladerunner DVD did have a menu after all. I didn't know this for 20 years.

Yea a lot of them would start the movie automatically and you have to go out of your way to see the menu or wait until the full credits roll and it'll come up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

business hammocks posted:

My first dvd was the complete series set of the Clerks cartoon—all 9(?) episodes.

That was one of my first DVDs too, I loved that set and probably watched the 9 episodes like ten times each. That show is better than anything Smith has been involved with since.

Best part of the Clerks cartoon is that they did a clip show episode as like the third or fourth episode of the series, as a joke, but then the network aired that episode out of order so the clips ended up being from episodes that hadn't even aired yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

Also the pirate codec of the same name

That's what I remember most, a single codec dominated my entire freshman year of college. I barely attended any classes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

Remember that weird temporary DVD format? I remember there was this alternate DVD rental service that tried to take off where the DVD self deteriorated after being watched once or opened (I can't remember.) What weird times. I don't remember what they were called and I don't even know how I'd parse it in a Google search to find an ancient article about them.

Yea that was during the time when Blockbuster Video still dominated, and so late fees and returning movies was still considered a major annoyance. So those DVDs worked kinda like a streaming rental does now, you can watch it however many times you want but after X days it won't work anymore.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I worked at Blockbuster during it's death spiral and the absolute worst of the worst was when they instituted their new "NO MORE LATE FEES" policy.

Late fees were always a sore point for customers, they hated them, but of course even worse than late fees is telling people there are no more late fees and then figuring out an end around way to still charge them late fees. Which of course is what Blockbuster did, you'd have X number of days with no fees and then if you go over that number by even a single day you now own the movie and Blockbuster will no longer rent anything to you until you pay for it. This fee was known as a "restocking fee".

I've never felt more hated than during those months when I worked there under that policy.

gey muckle mowser posted:

I couldn't tell you what my first blu-ray was, possibly The Searchers or Kingdom of Heaven. Those were among the first ~10 or so I bought anyway.

If I wanted to show someone what blu ray brings to the table with just one scene, it would probably be the opening shot of The Searchers. I gasp every time I see it.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 12, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

Is there a good boxset of Hammer Horror films? I'm not especially versed in them, but if there is a definitive collection I'd like to check t out.

Nah, they're all spread out because of rights issues, as a fan it's really frustrating.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I appreciate how Best Buy is still somewhat catering to this niche market by putting out a lot of pretty nice steelbooks, but it's loving irritating to see a nice Jurassic Park Collection steelbook that I'd probably like to own but we're literally 1 week out from a new movie dropping and then my movie OCD will be telling me it's not a complete set.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to see some 2017 4k TV models priced at like $400-$500. Is that legit? I'm going over the specs and they have the right pixel count and HDR, is there another factor here I'm not taking into account? We're talking 50-55 inch range here as far as the size.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah. You can get a decent HDTV in the 55" range for less than 500, easy. Just make sure they support HDR and if you care, the ones branded as RokuTVs usually dont have an OTA digital tuner.

You'll likely have slightly less HDMI ports, and a combo port for Composite/Component. The actual HDR scheme supported probs wont be Dolby Vision on the cheaper models, and they wont be as super bright as the more pricey models. I upgraded my curved Samsung last December due to a bad backlighting panel, and the new one had HDR and a way better menu system.

This seems like the important part but I don't know enough about HDR to know how important the difference is. That is, I know generally how important HDR is but you're saying that the brightness would be different on a cheaper model. Like, enough of a difference that it's worth spending hundreds of dollars more?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I paid $220 for my 49" 2018 4K/HDR Hisense from Walmart. I've not had much time to mess about with it, but from what I've seen the PQ/AQ are perfectly good for the price paid. It's kind of ridiculous what you can get for not much money now.

I guess this all just happened pretty quickly and I took my eye off the ball. I remember just 3-5 months ago all of the 4k T.Vs in that price range were all the pre-HDR models that they were trying to unload as quickly as possible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the responses, as hard as some of this stuff still is for me to parse.

Sounds to me like Dolby Vision is probably not important enough to justify spending literally double the money.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m convinced that whoever wrote it ran out of paper before they finished the last scene, shrugged, and turned it in.

It’s amazing.

It's one of the best endings of all-time, absolutely perfect.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Welp, took the plunge and upgraded my t.v. in size and of course also 4k HDR. I love this time when I feel like my face is being melted by everything I watch, before my brain has adjusted to this new screen size/resolution. John Wick 2 was my first 4k UHD purchase, which I think was a great decision. I'm thinking of maybe grabbing Blade Runner next, traditionally I buy Blade Runner immediately in every format when I upgrade equipment.

I'm kinda happy though that 4k isn't quite as revolutionary as HD was, because I really don't feel like I all of the sudden have to replace my entire blu ray collection. Like, my Criterion blu rays are still going to look fantastic on this t.v. regardless and better versions of those films probably won't be available in the forseeable future.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is this Predator UHD blu that's coming out in August supposed to be legit? I know Predator has had a very troubled history when it comes to HD transfers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

Good to know, I've been thinking about picking up Pan's Labyrinth for a while.

Definitely a must-own. I don't necessarily feel that way about The Devil's Backbone or Cronos, but the transfer on their Pan's Labyrinth release is basically perfect. The color palette really pops in a way that it hadn't before in previous releases I've seen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bought the recent Matrix 4k release and to me it looks stunning. Zero complaints.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

Hoo boy is that Hoover Dam scene gonna look like poo poo

It already looks bad so I'm not sure a bump in resolution is really gonna make it that much worse. You had to suspend disbelief before, and you still do. This is a complaint that gets brought up a lot about 4k and I just don't see it as a problem with 99% of the releases so far.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

I look at Superman 78 the same way I look at Atari - very hard to appreciate having not experienced the nothingness that existed beforehand.

Watching a ton of old films from various special effects heavy genres(sci-fi, horror, big historical epics, etc.) I think does help a person appreciate each era for what it was and the new things it brought to the table. Like, when I watched Gone With the Wind the other day, you can appreciate the scale of everything a lot more if you have seen other films from that time and know just how above and beyond the production was compared to almost anything else people had experienced at the time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

roffels posted:

Superman 1978 was filmed with such soft focus it's hard to imagine the resolution bump helping.

The colors might pop a bit more, but yea I wouldn't rush out to upgrade if I already owned it on blu ray. I'm just saying it's not going to "ruin" the movie or anything to have it at 2160p.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

There's a pretty big difference between putting out a better presentation of something shot on film that was broadcast in SD and taking movies that were shot on 35mm, put through a 2kish DI, and released as "4k." There's a lot more value in terms of resolution to the former than the latter.

It seems like the industry gets that though, because while we're seeing upscaled versions of new releases like A Quiet Place or Rampage, the majority of the older films that are getting the 4k treatment seem to be native 4k. We've seen recent releases of The Matrix, Blade Runner, Mission Impossible, The Fifth Element, and Men in Black that all look great because they're native 4k.

So I just don't see it as a huge issue right now, and for a new release like A Quiet Place I just buy the upscaled 4k version because why not? It's not the same as upgrading a film I already own where I have to figure out if it's "worth it".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Verhoeven definitely belongs in the Criterion collection, his stuff has never been fully appreciated, even when he had big hits, and the material seems to only become more and more relevant as time goes on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

I agree, but the quality of several current releases of his old movies would make this redundant.

Maybe, but I'd love to see Elle at some point as a Criterion.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yeah it came out during Ferrell's trend of making the exact same movie with a change of setting/profession, but it also had John C Reilly and Richard Jenkins so I knew it had to have something going for it.

Pairing John C. Reilly with Ferrell is really perfect because Reilly brings a genuine quality to every single role, and that's the thing that Ferrell always seems to be lacking.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Torso and Your Vice is a Locked Room were both let downs for me, I just don't really enjoy Martino I guess.

I think some other company(probably Shout Factory) is also putting out Candyman around the same time, with the same new transfer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

So, what’s everyone’s recent sight unseen buys?

I blind-bought Stalker a few sales ago and I doubt that one will ever be topped. Nothing like blind-buying a movie and immediately after a few minutes you already know you're going to be watching it again and again. That movie infected my brain, I was thinking about it for months.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The best part about Christmas Evil is how different it is that what you'd expect if you go in blind. It's not at all just another killer Santa movie, not even close.

It's like a Christmas themed Taxi Driver.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't keep up with Shout Factory, seems like every other month they put out something that feels like a must-buy, but I just can't swing it all the time. Candyman and Trick R Treat are coming later this year too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is everything they put out region free?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Any word on whether or not this Predator UHD that comes out tomorrow is actually good, or is it just another disaster like every other release in the past ten years?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The current Evil Dead blu ray looks excellent, and is very grainy in it's own right. I wonder how 4k or HDR would really improve it but I'm curious to find out. I feel the same way about Halloween, which is getting a UHD in October. Only because the existing blu rays are so good, I'm not sure the benefits of UHD will be all that apparent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kino Lorber also put out a really nice blu ray of The Long Goodbye.