Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Origami Dali posted:

Didn't they just release a 4K Suspiria two years ago?

I think it was a Blu Ray from a 4K remaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I am incredibly tempted by that Godzilla box set as a fan from my youth, but I don't know if I can justify a $160 purchase solely based on the fear that it will go out of print.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Yeah, the front page keeps coming back up but when I try and get to my cart, it crashes again.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

FancyMike posted:

Arrow announcement is up and holy poo poo we're finally getting some Shinya Tsukamoto movies on blu-ray in the US. The Tsukamoto set is available for preorder at $62 this might be the first time I buy an Arrow release at full price I'm so excited.

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1223263935312416769

Hagazussa (UK)
Sixteen Candles (US/CA)
Elvira Mistress of the Dark (US/CA)
Why Don't You Just Die! (UK/US/CA)
The Wind (UK/US/CA)
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Tsukamoto (US/CA)
  • Tetsuo: The Iron Man
  • Tetsuo II: Body Hammer
  • The Adventure of Denchu-Kozo
  • Tokyo Fist
  • Bullet Ballet
  • A Snake of June
  • Vital
  • Haze
  • Kotoko
  • Killing

Someone on the Facebook comments for this release was talking about an upcoming Vinegar Syndrome giallo boxset, does anyone know what that's about?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Does anyone know if the Arrow C.H.U.D. Blu Ray has the incredible audio commentary track? I remember borrowing the DVD from the library like a decade ago solely to listen to it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Boinks posted:

drat I have CHUD on DVD and haven't listened to the commentary yet. Gonna fix that tonight!

Oh my god it's amazing. Basically just the cast and crew goofing on the movie for its entire length.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

ultraviolence123 posted:

I can confirm that the old DVD commentary track is indeed on the Arrow disc.

Hell yeah, gonna get that from the MVD sale.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Turbinosamente posted:

And finally maybe I will go back and listen to the the Night at the Museum commentary track from the film writers. The first few minutes was them going "why would anyone want to listen to us, they must have slipped on the DVD remote." Had to go something else at the time but I got far enough in to find out it was adapted from a kid's book, sorta.

I mean, Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant from Reno 911 wrote those movies, so itíll probably be a good time.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I've made an exception for series in my otherwise alphabetical organization solely because of the Sabata movies. It's a lot easier to put Sabata, Adios Sabata and Return of Sabata under S than to cycle around the rest of my collection.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Oooof, glad I immediately ordered that Arrow Django US/CA release because it looks like Blue Underground are loving with its release again.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

RichterIX posted:

To this day I do not understand why Big Trouble in Little China bombed so hard. It might be my favorite movie. It can come off as pretty stereotype-y but I heard James Hong and Peter Kwong talk about it at Gencon one year and they talked about Carpenter in really glowing terms in that regard.

Itís my favorite movie too, itís so vibrant and quotable and fun.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Look thereís a quiet grace to Big Titty Vampire Party, okay?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I have definitely bought Blu Rays solely because they were $1 library discards and that's why I own a copy of The Lone Ranger.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are the F13th movies streaming anywhere? Iíve only ever seen the first one and thought it was extremely whatever.

I think theyíre still on Prime, at least 1-8.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Vagabundo posted:

Considering that your citizens keep voting the clowns that perpetuate that poo poo into government, it's obviously what you lot wanted.

Go gently caress yourself, you absolute bore.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Vagabundo posted:

Hey, that's a low blow. Same head of state, but Boris Johnson is not the PM of my country.

Weíre not playing twenty questions with you, dipshit.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Vagabundo posted:

What's wrong? You seem upset. Did someone say something mean to you?

Honestly, you're just loving tedious.

EDIT: like, no one wants to hear someone being smug about a pandemic thatís killed hundreds of thousands of people.

Lumbermouth fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 8, 2020

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

And Arrow is putting out a 4K of Tremors and a Blu Ray of Versus in December. I'm fuckin stoked.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I was able to get through via Amazon Pay. Got Candyman, Night of the Comet, Return of the Living Dead and Trick rí Treat!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

ultraviolence123 posted:

I was one of the lucky ones that Amazon sent the Arrow edition of Django last year to before Blue Underground wigged out. It's a great disc, and Django is probably my favorite western of all time.

I managed to grab it too and it looks really good. The Sartana box set is also incredible for a bunch of movies that have always been on multi-movie compilation DVDs.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Odd that I'm not at peak performance when someone comes into my office every thirty minutes and punches me in the face.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

A reminder that the only reason that the Post Office is underfunded is because Congress passed a law requiring them to find their pensions 75 years in advance. It is absolutely an effort to make a public service lovely and prop up private carriers.

Hell, mail sorting machines were getting pulled out of offices within the last three months.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Egbert Souse posted:

That's what I'm doing since I really don't think $100 USD was worth it to me for the film and I'm guessing a US release is imminent given how hard they made it to import.

Yeah this was my rationale too. I love Dawn of the Dead but I genuinely don't know if I love ANY movie $100 worth, especially when I need to pay the rent.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I'm riding my Xbox One until I get enough shelving to start buying those Eureka Hong Kong Blu Rays, then going in on a region-free UBP-X700.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

EL BROMANCE posted:

Speaking of Arrow, they put out an announcement this morning with regards to their copy of Versus. Apparently looks a lot different to the previous versions, and it's on purpose and was the directors intention.

https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/photos/a.157131957654140/3915618765138755/?type=3&theater

Huh. I was convinced that Versus was shot on video, I'm excited to see what it looks like with the grading eased up.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Stoked that there are UHDs of all three cuts. Come on Diabolik!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Glad I waited. Ready to watch this in surround sound for the first time too.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also, Django UHD w/ Texas, Adios pre-order is up on BestBuy.com. This is a blind buy, but my buddy says it's one of the best spaghetti westerns he had ever seen when it came around our neck of the woods a couple years back. I'm doubly pumped because I missed the original Blu-Ray, and I expect Arrow is gonna do some good work here.

It's definitely good. I wish I hadn't FOMO'ed hard on getting the initial Blu Ray when Blue Underground had their lawsuit, I would have loved a 4K.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Nihonniboku posted:

So, I'm looking for an alternative means of storing my movie collection. I got rid of the tall Ikea Billy bookcases that I used for over a decade to store them, and I've also cut way back on my movie collection. For a while I would buy pretty much any movie I saw and liked, even if I never planned to watch it again.

I am in need of a new media console, so I thought it would be great if I could find one with drawers deep enough to store the blu-rays spine up. The width of a bluray case is just over 5 inches, but most media consoles with drawers, the drawers are 5 inches or less. Shockingly, I've only managed to find one with drawers deep enough, but it's kind of more than I would like to spend, especially once you take into account shipping and tax.

https://www.cb2.com/congo-media-credenza/s559147

Does anybody have any suggestions? Am I just not thinking outside the box enough? I did move into a new place with these built in-shelves in the wall that are nearly 2 feet deep, I suppose I could get some kind of basket or something to store them in that way. I know this is kind of the antithesis of this thread, given that so many of you have entire walls in their homes dedicates to their movie collection. But it's where I am right now. Anyone have any thoughts?

My new solution is these fabric bins put in the bottom of an IKEA entertainment center. They fit two rows of Blu Rays snugly.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Herringbone-14-25-in-W-x-5-5-in-H-x-10-69-in-D-Gray-Fabric-Bin/1000184939

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Nihonniboku posted:

Thanks. I might just have to go with something like that.

I'm pretty sure my setup is one of those Besta TV stands with no drawers or dividers, which can accommodate 6 flat bins or 12 stacked two high.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Showdown In Little Tokyo is also a fantastic blind buy from the Warner sale. Just an absolute bonkers and intensely homoerotic 80s/90s action movie thatís like 78 minutes long.

Ended up getting After The Thin Man, Key Largo, Curse of Frankenstein and Dracula AD 1972.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah I loved that. Generally SNL's best moments are when everyone involved doesn't care who gets it and just does this poo poo they personally find amusing.

Like the spot-on Speak the Hungarian Rapper parody from 4 years ago. I cannot believe such a niche joke made it to air: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce3ST3wRPCI

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

It is absolutely a movie that runs out of ideas like 20 minutes in.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

King Vidiot posted:

You can't just set out to make a "cult movie", especially if you go out of your way to pay people to tell other people how cool it is. That's... the opposite of cool.

:emptyquote:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Also having one of your main characters be a constantly moaning child.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

My favorite thing about movies that end up as cult classics is that the people making them were so convinced that they were making The Coolest poo poo Imaginable. Sometimes that enthusiasm wins you over and sometimes your reaction is ďoh my god this person thought that the goofiest poo poo was cool.Ē Itís a thing that you canít fake or (like Fran said) the heart of the movie isnít there.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I Come in Peace aka Dark Angel! Although itís more of a MiniDisc.

It was filmed here in Houston and I actually got to see it on a big screen last year pre-covid and it owns. Between that and Red Scorpion, Lundgren may be my favorite 80s/90s action hero not named Jackie Chan.

This was my white whale Saturday afternoon TV movie. Dolph Lundgren fighting an alien drug dealer who looked like Christopher Lambert in Mortal Kombat.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Spookies has a werewolf with a prosthetic hand bury a child in real time and it is never explained. Itís just a baffling movie in every regard.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Basebf555 posted:

I'd say Deep Red is either the best giallo of all time, or at least the second best. Only Bava's Blood and Black Lace may be better, but it's a tough call. Suspiria and Inferno are my favorite Argento films but they aren't giallo.

Iím probably going to blind buy it since the horror goons have said that the full extended cut is the only way to watch it. My problem with the Argento Iíve watched is the lack of characterization and, from what everyoneís said, the cut scenes are essential character stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Holy poo poo thanks for that Hong Kong Rescue link. Getting those John Woos, Wheels on Meals and trying to decide between Project A and Supercop for a fourth.