Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light
and i'll scare you right out of your pants

I went a bit nuts in some recent blu-ray sales. Both Amazon AU and JB Hi-Fi (basically Australia's Best Buy) had "buy 1 get 1 free" sales for blu-ray and 4K over the weekend. JB included every blu-ray and 4K, while Amazon limited it to a selection of about a thousand. Many of Amazon's deals were already much lower than the JB prices, before you even factored in the B1G1F.

I ended up getting a ton of movies to fill out my collection and they averaged to about $7 each after all discounts. :h:

Now they're all getting shipped in small consignments of 2-3 movies per parcel so I have like 8 parcels to go pick up today and more coming later in the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

I also plan to do some rearranging of stuff next weekend so I can have all of my collection alphabetised (with the TV shows and animation separate).

Currently my blu-rays are all spread between a normal-width and a half-width Ikea Billy bookcase, plus some random shelves on my other bookcases.

If I move some books from another normal-width one to our spare room, I can swap that case with the half-width case.

Then I'll have two normal-width bookcases for blu-rays, which at 8 rows per bookcase and about 50 blu-rays per row, I can shelve 800 blu-rays. That's plenty of room for quite a while.

(I refuse to double up on each shelf so that rows of titles are hidden -- is anyone else as anal about this as I am?)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

I treated myself to some boxsets on sale

A 20 movie Clint Eastwood collection

A 7 movie Stanley Kubrick collection

A 5 movie Coen Bros collection

All of these boxsets have slightly different contents in other regions, weirdly.

Also, Ice Age 4-film and Nightmare on Elm Street 7-film boxsets.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

Franchescanado posted:

Eureka's got a sale on Silent Movies and Billy Wilder films. 2 for $20.

Jumped when I saw shipping to Australia was free. Grabbed Stalag 17 and Double Indemnity. Love me some Wilder.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

Attention Australian collectors, zavvi.com.au has 2 for $45 on Criterion collection blurays

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

I, Butthole posted:

Hot drat thank you, even with $8 shipping that's a better price than the Barnes and Noble sale. Fairly limited selection, unfortunately, but used it as an excuse to grab The Last Temptation of Christ and Badlands.

Yeah $8 shipping is the flat rate no matter how much you order, itís great

I got 3 Wes Anderson movies (Rushmore, Royal Ts and Life Aquatic - I already have the criterion of Moonrise Kingdom) plus Tampopo, Anatomy of a Murder and Only Angels Have Wings.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

"Michael Keaton is Beetlejuice presents Handbook for the Recently Deceased" is an awful run-on sentence

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

Oof, I really gotta give my spending a rest. I'm still waiting on like 15-20 more blurays/boxsets I ordered recently to come in the mail.

Also I bought a 25 pack of blu-ray amaray cases because I'm sick of how many cases in my collection have the spindle broken or otherwise are cracked :argh:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

Finally doing my big media/shelves rearrangement this weekend, boy gently caress i have a lot of blurays :shepface:

Previously I had them all shelved alphabetically in three categories: live action movies, animated movies and TV shows/documentaries.

This time I might do something different, maybe director collections up front or all the boxsets first or something

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

Okay Iím gonna try studio by chronology in the animated (Ghibli, WDAS, Pixar, Dreamworks and so on) and see if it drives me crazy and I go right back to alphabetical

Live action I might just leave alphabetical. Hey that reminds me, where do differently named movies in a franchise go in your collections? For instance is Prometheus right after the Alien movies, or down in the Pís? See also: Logan, Creed 1&2, Rogue One, the Rises and Dawns and Wars of Planets of Apes, etc

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

CPL593H posted:

My movies are arranged alphabetical in rows and then those rows are covered by dozens of other movies in stacks because I have no room left and my life is a goddamn shamble.

:hfive:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

Animation, first divided by anime vs western; then within those two categories into major studios followed by ďthe restĒ followed by tv series

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

While Iím taking pics, hereís most of the stuff I ordered recently in 2-for-1 sales. I think everything pictured averaged out to $6-7 per film

Not pictured: some boxsets and criterions that havenít arrived yet

Donít ask about the duplicates

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

feedmyleg posted:

Closed:

Open (trigger warning):

Yesssssss Go Team Venture on proud display

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah it should be under F because it's the third in the Fistful of Dollars trilogy.

I have them under M for Man With No Name trilogy

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

I ordered a copy of the Oceanís Trilogy from the UK (I have Oceanís 8 already) and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived today that itís three discs in a standard width case with a nice slip cover. I was expecting three amaray cases in a flimsy box, which is what the boxset is in Australia. That would have taken up more shelf room.

I do love a good slim multi-movie set.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

Sniep posted:

ya ya.. I misunderstood up above, and then clarified - i am missing rise of the machines and need to back fill that when i find it for cheap, but i'm not in a rush lol, this collection is a work in process since 2009 or so and i've still got holes here and there for series that i'd like to fill, but alas..

e: as of today, 1,643 titles in the collection, of which 1,616 are Blu-Ray and the remainder DVD.

I have 634 movies in my collection, not counting some boxsets and individual titles that are on their way to me still. If today I could order every movie I know I want, it would probably get up to 800. Then Iíd be adding maybe 15-20 new releases each year into the future. Plus old movies I watch for the first time and decide to buy. gently caress I need more shelves 😰

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

Liar Lyre posted:

Iíve been kicking around the idea of making a Discord channel for media collectors. Now might be the perfect time.

Iíd love to join, Iíll share more shelf pictures

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

Shelved my collection! There's a few duplicates I need to sell but overall I'm super happy with my collection I want more movies

Live action A-Z:

(e: missing What We Do in the Shadows because I lended it to a friend)

Animation (including TV):

Live action TV:

Left some room on the shelves for the following which haven't arrived yet:

Criterions: Anatomy of a Murder, The Life Aquatic, Only Angels Have Wings, Rushmore

Individuals: Invisible Man, Underwater

Boxsets: Clint Eastwood 20-film collection, Coen Bros 5-film collection

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 5, 2020

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

Timby posted:

Why in God's name do you have X-Men: Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix, but not, say, Days of Future Past?

If you look closely I have two copies :ssh:

I literally have every xmen movie

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 6, 2020

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

CPL593H posted:

I'm beginning to think people are doing this on purpose.

Plus a big collection of cartoons and no Batman TAS.

Edit: Oh come on, you have loving Lego Batman and not TAS?

I canít afford it yet :(

Way to collection shame me

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

King Vidiot posted:

Can confirm that they have two copies of Exodus. Why would anyone have even one copy of Exodus?

I got the barebones disc for like $4 then saw the 3 disc edition on sale for like $6 so I got it to replace it but I havenít ditched the other one yet

The 3 disc edition has so many documentaries, plus also Iím a big Ridley Scott fan ok??

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

I will now list the Ridley Scott movies that Exodus is better than

Legend (yeah I said it, come at me)
Someone to Watch Over Me
Black Rain
Kingdom of Heaven theatrical cut (but the directorís cut is like top 5 Scott)
Alien Covenant

(NB: I have not yet seen Hannibal, Matchstick Men, A Good Year, American Gangster, Body of Lies, Robin Hood, The Counselor, or All the Money in the World)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

Vagabundo posted:

Quick question: Why don't you have The Duellists?

Iíd like to get it, itís a good movie. It just came out on a new premium bluray label in Australia so Iíll look into it

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

I have a ton of these codes but theyíre mostly for Australian digital streaming sites I think and probably all expired

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

So uh how about that physical media, huh?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

Iím now looking through my collection to see what director filmographies Iím close to completing.

I just need Jackie Brown and Death Proof to have a full Tarantino (I do have Grindhouse though)

And I have only three Kubrick films to get to complete his

Quite a few more to get all the Spielbergs and Coen Bros. Hmmm who else do I like

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

In animation I have the whole Miyazaki filmography but that was easy because it was one boxset

Iíd love to fill out my Hosoda, Shinkai and Kon filmographies

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

CPL593H posted:

I hope this doesn't come off as dickish (it's not meant to be) but I will never understand completionists.

Itís compulsive behaviour

I had the complete MCU apart from Incredible Hulk because that movie stinks, but the gap bugged me so I waited til I found it for like $6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

i'm a master of fright
and a demon of light

Iím pessimistic about all these streaming exclusives ever getting physical releases :/

Things Iíd love to own on disc include Togo, The Mandalorian, Beastars, A Whisker Away, the live Hamilton movie, The Vast of Night