Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

I bought the poo poo out of this. What an incredible show. Can’t wait to watch it in a modern presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Yes but where the gently caress is California Split

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Good looking out - I picked up the Makhmalbaf and Guitry sets.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

The Cremator

This movie is loving bonkers. The existing Second Sight blu is really good, but I will gladly double dip for a 4K restoration.

Liar Lyre posted:

There are a few Netflix exclusive movies I would love to own but they will probably never release. Dolemite is My Name, Death Note, Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Maybe they just have a timed exclusivity, but I’m not gonna hold my breath.

I can see them giving Buster Scruggs to Criterion; Roma is coming out next month and folks seem to think The Other Side Of The Wind is a sure thing, so they seem open to putting out more prestige-y fare. Plus it would seem to benefit both sides - Criterion gets a new source of titles to license, and Netflix gets a way to get their brand in front of potential new subscribers.

trdn89 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 16, 2020

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
https://twitter.com/NetflixFilm/status/1220828780245073920

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

April Indicator releases:

John Ford at Columbia (The Whole Town's Talking, Gideon's Day, The Long Gray Line, The Last Hurrah)
The Strange One

Another month of howling WHERE IS MY CALIFORNIA SPLIT BD into the void

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
In a just world, this would be Criterion’s first.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
- Housekeeping is loving amazing. Criterion recently put out Local Hero by the same director (Bill Forsyth); if you liked that, or if you like weird Altman like 3 Women or Images, or if you just generally like incredibly disquieting movies, put Housekeeping at the top of your list.
- I bought Little Murders blind and it knocked me the gently caress out. Same energy as those mid-70s conspiracy thrillers like Klute and Parallax View and 3 Days of the Condor.
- Jonathan Rosenbaum has been recommending The 5000 Fingers Of Dr. T for decades, so when I saw they were releasing it I decided to take the plunge. I was expecting it to be weird (it's a musical written by Dr. Seuss) but it ended up being a thousand times stranger and more interesting than I had expected. Recommended if you like stuff like Fantastic Planet.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

ChazTurbo posted:

Any films you're love a 4k release for? I'd really like a uhd copy of hero and house of flying daggers. Especially since the current physical release of hero is awful

if they put out a 4K of Playtime I will buy that movie for the fourth time and weld the disc into my UHD player

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
The Shining was astounding on UHD; that movie really benefits from maxed out detail. Can’t wait for the 4K of Spartacus.

The most recent version of Apocalypse Now is also worth seeking out. Looks incredible, sounds just as good, doesn’t drag like either of its predecessors.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I will punch myself in the dick forever if it helps me get the Wong Kar Wai UHD set

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Is Bamboozled worth a blind buy.

It's an extremely great movie* which hits like a freight train at the current moment in our history. I can't imagine what it must have been like to see it during its initial theatrical run when nobody knew what to expect.

*It does feel extremely dated aesthetically in the way that many early 2000s DV movies tend to look & sound; however while I usually despise that stuff on a gut level (I love Richard Linklater but I can't bring myself to watch Tape again), I was very much able to get over it for Bamboozled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Mann's output is loving stellar. I've been meaning to check out Miami Vice and Blackhat (or was it Whitehat?), because I've heard they were a bit maligned but on the level for Mann even if it's not as good as Manhunter or Thief.

The DC of Blackhat is supposed to be significantly better, but I've never been able to find it :(