Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Slipcovers make a better presentation for your product, they make spines more vibrant and easier to read on a shelf, and they provide limited protection for the case itself. I can’t believe there are people with strong opinions about them either way.

Tossing all of your cases and cramming the discs into plastic sleeves that you then hide in a larger box is absolutely bonkers, though. Why even bother with physical media at that point? Save yourself the time and effort and just buy digital. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Wandle Cax posted:

Is that seriously the reason for cardboard slip covers? can't say I've ever had so much unavoidable glare that I couldn't see a dvd cover

Nah, the reasoning for slipcovers is that it looks better on a store shelf and makes you feel like you’re buying a nicer product. Everything else is just a bonus. It’s the same as dust jackets on hardcover books.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Boinks posted:

Check out these sweet physical medias I got dirt cheap today.

Demon Knight is amazing :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My first DVD was a copy of Fargo that came in a bizarre jewel case contraption that had a black tray you slid out from the bottom to access the disc. I cant find any pictures of it online, but I swear it existed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Gareth Edwards confirmed that a 4K scan of A New Hope exists, but I can’t remember if he said what version it was.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

GrandpaPants posted:

I always assumed someone on that show had something on the head of standards and practices because wow did Hannibal get away with a lot.

Katz’s death and the totem full of bodies are two of the most gruesome things I’ve ever seen on network tv.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Speaking of Kino Lorber, they’ve got another sale going on. Not as expansive as the last one, but some decent westerns in there alongside the new The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and Fistful of Dynamite.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I tried the Justice League code on the WB site but it gave me an error. Either someone grabbed it or the code is wrong.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Dolomite, Petey Wheatstraw, and Disco Godfather are all solid. I was kind of mixed on Candy Tangerine Man, but it has its moments and the blu comes with a second blaxploitation flick called Lady Cocoa. Haven’t watched that one yet, though.

Everyone should buy Christmas Evil.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I like JP3 more than Lost World, but I fully admit that it’s a trash movie

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I, Butthole posted:

To the many people who have said good things about VinSyn's Christmas Evil, thank you. This movie owns bones.

I’m convinced that whoever wrote it ran out of paper before they finished the last scene, shrugged, and turned it in.

It’s amazing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There’s great stuff all the way though season 15. The later Al Jean seasons are definitely inferior, but they aren’t the dire hellscape they’re made out to be until you get past season 18 or 19.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, they put out the packaging art for Batman: The Animated Series:

Looks like they're including Mask of the Phantasm and Sub-Zero, three mini-Funkos, and some art cards.

According to WBShop's Twitter account, there's already been 2000 pre-orders.

See the whole thread:
https://twitter.com/ryangallagher/status/1020811401277784064

Is there a version without the Pops? I don’t like how the packaging has actual cutouts for them. :sigh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Is this only on their site or is it in conjunction with Fopp like their usual sales?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ferrell is good in Step Brothers, but John C Reilly is the true star. Every single one of his line deliveries is amazing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There’s so much questionable stuff in Forbidden Zone, but it’s a really fun film with an amazing soundtrack and I rewatch it 4 or 5 times a year. A friend who’s a huge Oingo Boingo fan convinced me to buy a German import blu for $40 years ago and I’ve never regretted it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I really dig The Brood :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Samuel Clemens posted:

You can tell Cronenberg went through a nasty divorce when he made The Brood, because it reads like an MRA fantasy at times; the story of a nice guy that has to fight both liberal courts discriminating against men and his psychotic ex-wife who's being empowered by bleeding-heart modern psychiatry.

Oh I’m not defending any subtext at all, I just dig late 70’s horror in general and the kids in The Brood are absolutely brutal. I really like the bizarre new agey doctor as well.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Basebf555 posted:

The best part about Christmas Evil is how different it is that what you'd expect if you go in blind. It's not at all just another killer Santa movie, not even close.

It's like a Christmas themed Taxi Driver.

I went in about as blind as can be. My weekly horror group was supposed to be showing Silent Night, Deadly Night but the print was hosed up and unplayable so the guy running things brought Christmas Evil. I knew literally nothing about it, didn’t even know it existed.

And then that ending hit :perfect:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I've been digging the 90's Outer Limits lately, so I decided to just buy the series on DVD in case Hulu removed it before I finished my series watch. It arrived today and oh god have I made a poor choice. Of the seven season sets, five use two of the absolute worst case designs I have ever seen.

This monstrosity is used in all but one of those sets. If you can't tell, each disc is supposed to slot down onto those plastic spring arms (half of which are already broken, naturally) and then clip behind little overhangs on each side. In every case that used this design, the middle disc had slipped out of the overhangs and caused the front disc to actually bow outwards. I have no idea if being bent outwards all through shipping actually hosed up those discs or not. Can't wait to find out!

The other case design has that old early-00's standard - thin plastic hinges and useless push tabs! Both hinges are already broken.

What the hell, Canada :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

business hammocks posted:

Also most of those season sets are the syndication edits, so they’re missing a few minutes each (plus all that 90s cable mild nudity).

That’s what I was afraid of. Aren’t the US releases edited as well?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is there answered to watch the unedited episodes

The versions on Hulu are all unedited, although they do have poorly placed cuts for commercials that often come in the middle of scene transitions.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If you’re into spaghetti westerns at all, the Sabata films (Sabata, Adios Sabata, Return of Sabata) range from solid to great. You should also pick up A Fistful of Dynamite/Duck, You Sucker regardless of whether you’re into westerns, because that movie is fantastic.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Trick r Treat is great. I love horror anthology movies, but are there any other notables besides Creepshow 1 & 2, Tales from The Hood, the V/H/S series, and Tales from the Darkside?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

EL BROMANCE posted:

A bunch of us watched Trick r Treat after hearing all the great feedback a bunch of years ago, and all came away scratching our heads as to why it is so loved. I mean to try it again sometime, at least I don't remember a ton of it.
It’s not mind-blowing or anything, but it’s a solid movie to watch on Halloween, Brian Cox has some nice freakouts, and it feels like an R-rated horror flick set in the same town as Hocus Pocus.

Basebf555 posted:

The best horror anthologies were made in the 60s and 70s imo. Tales of Terror, Twice Told Tales, Black Sabbath, Kwaidan, Vault of Horror, Tales From the Crypt, Torture Garden, and Asylum are all worth watching.

A very underrated anthology from the 90s is Necronomicon, which is Lovecraft themed, and Lovecraft himself is played by Jeffrey Combs.

CPL593H posted:

The 1972 Tales From the Crypt movie. There's also a kinda sequel called Vault of Horror which is also based on stories from EC Comics but I haven't seen it so I can't officially recommend it. Shout Factory has released them both on blu-ray as a two pack.
I’ll have to check these out, especially Necromonicon. Love me some Jeffrey Combs :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I know it's better to buy directly from all these boutique labels, but I really miss being able to just walk around a huge movie section and chance upon something that looks interesting.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Origami Dali posted:

I give it another year, tops.

I really hope not. I still miss Borders, and I don’t have a Books-a-Million anywhere near me. Not to mention that it’ll make Amazon basically the only place to offer books that aren’t airport trash or movie tie-ins.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
You’d think the continual splintering of streaming services and the shrinking Netflix catalog would have already driven a physical media resurgence, but I guess laziness and apathy win this round.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
For me, it’s definitely a streaming vs owning thing. I don’t want my choice of movies to be beholden to a given app’s catalog selection or whether or not my internet connection is cooperating that day. And since the cost of buying a film from iTunes or some other app is only marginally less than just buying a physical disc, there’s little point to building a digital library (and most big studio releases include a digital code now anyway).

The only real downside is finding enough shelf space for 1000+ titles
:negative:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I like steelbooks in theory, but I always find them dented, or you buy them and the plastic hinges instantly break, and they take up just enough extra width to make shelving a pain.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Zodiac Killer and The Sword and The Claw are also pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3GjjnWrQt4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmhAw833KY4

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I still use Collectorz. It’s not great, but it’s gotten better over the last couple years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CPL593H posted:

This is a crazy concept to some people now, but when I buy something I like to actually own a thing instead of hypothetical idea of the thing which can be revoked and not refunded at any time.

:same:, plus I’m a huge sucker for great covers/packaging

Liar Lyre posted:

StudioCanal are doing 4K releases for Escape From New York, They Live, The Fog & Prince of Darkness. The Blus will probably be Region B locked, but the 4K restorations should be amazing. Plus the packaging looks BEAUTIFUL.

Like this :stare:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Isn’t there a commentary for Spinal Tap with all the cast in character?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Spatulater bro! posted:

From Arrow Video:

This finally convinced me to pull the trigger on the Phantasm set.

Is anything after II worth watching? I love the original, but I was extremely apathetic about II.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
What’s the difference between the two cuts? I saw it recently at a triple-feature and thought it was fairly mediocre, but I’m open to a rewatch.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Well, the R-rated cut has almost no gore whatsoever. RotLD3 is a zombie movie directed by Brian Yuzna. You can probably draw conclusions from there about how the movie is affected by this.

I must have seen the uncut version then, because there was definitely a ton of gore.

Just off the top of my head:
- Lowrider dude having his head and spine pulled out
- Riverman getting shot to pieces in the finale
- Julie self-harming throughout the whole movie
- Scientist having his fingers bitten off in the opening scene

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Three out of four of those are definitely unrated-exclusive (I remember going through :filez: versions and trashing them if they didn't have the finger bit in the opening- before I get reported for admitting that, note that even the R-rated version wasn't easy to find before the Vestron release and the unrated version straight up didn't exist outside VHS). The remaining one is still in the R, because you can't really cut it outright, but it's far less graphic.

If it wasn't your bag, it wasn't your bag. I think it's awesome, but a decent amount of that is probably nostalgia, a decent amount of that is probably a love for the Gordon/Yuzna crew, and a decent amount of that is probably the fact that I love weird-rear end movies even if they're not executed all that well and it's hard to get weirder than human-zombie romance.

There were definitely parts I liked and it may have suffered from playing third in an already long triple-feature night. Maybe I’ll give it another watch. At the very least it’s better than RotLD 2.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CelticPredator posted:

I’ll never watch it again but I will defend it because it fits my narrative that the child’s play franchise is the best. 3 is mediocre but it never hits the low low lows as Friday part 8-9, ANOES 5-6, Halloween 5-the rest of the series(maybe barring H20, need a rewatch), or the most trash garbage worthless franchise, Hellrasier after Hellbound.

Give me childs play3 any day over those.

Whoa now, ANOES 4-6 are solid (if dumb) horror sequels. I’d even say they’re more entertaining than the consistently-praised but secretly boring New Nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CelticPredator posted:

I loathe 5-6 of the nightmare movies. 5 is so slow and dull, 6 is just annoying. I hate the way Freddy looks in both too. Super cheap.

Anoes 4 is amazing and the most gonzo fun of the series. (I didn’t say best, don’t @ me.)

This is partly my bad, I mixed up the numbering. What I meant to say was that 3-5 are dumb, fun, solid sequels.

I’ve never even seen 6 :doh: