Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve been debating that set for months now, but my shelf space is already at a premium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Psychos in Love is great and I’m also going to recommend CHRISTMAS EVIL as always. I don’t know if it’s on your list or not, but buy one anyway. Or buy three or four, hand them out to friends and strangers.

Prosthelytize for Christmas Evil!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

King Vidiot posted:

I think Spookies would make a great double feature with Phantasm. Two movies with inexplicable dream logic, but for entirely different reasons, and I think they'd complement each other well. I'll leave it up to you which movie you should watch first.

Or Spookies and House II. Not House, just House II.

House II and Spookies would be such a fantastic “total nonsense haunted house party” double bill that I’m shocked I haven’t seen it suggested before.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Incident in Lake County is a remake of the McPherson Tape that was done for UPN (or Fox?) in the late 90s iirc.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The UFO movie ship has sailed because the 90’s are long over and now all the UFO cranks are 9/11 truthers, Q-Anons, and raging antisemites instead of Fox Mulder or Art Bell types.

Although Phoenix Forgotten came out a couple years ago and I thought it was a decent little found footage flick. It probably helped that it was based around an actual “sighting”.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

feedmyleg posted:

Maybe don't go back and revisit 90s C2CAM...

Oh I know that element has always been there, I’m just saying it wasn’t at the forefront like it is now because UFO stuff was so mainstream in the 90’s thanks to shows like the X-Files and stuff like the Phoenix Lights.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Disney/Fox absolutely ended up being a nightmare if you’re trying to program repertory stuff for theaters.

I could also see Amazon restricting a lot of stuff exclusively to Prime Video and forgoing physical releases for all but the most popular titles.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
gently caress, I love WHM but $60 is a hell of a blind buy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CPL593H posted:

A lot of people just buy poo poo because it's rare or they're trying to buy every title from a certain catalog. I have a friend who spends literal thousands of dollars on movies that are completely unwatchable because of that. I can't even guess the number of video tapes he has laying around but ever surface in his bedroom is covered in them and he outright acknowledges he's never going to watch any of that poo poo. He got started on blu-rays and already have a few dozen of them. I'd say like under 20% of them are stuff that's actually worth watching. People just want poo poo so they can have it.

hey don’t doxx me, pal

I went easy on the VS sale and only grabbed Fade to Black, Liquid Sky, GETEVEN, and Scary Tales because I can’t resist no-budget amateur horror oddities.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CPL593H posted:

Are parts of your bedroom literally stacked to the ceiling with unsubtitled VHS copies of Pakistani dramas made in the late 70s?

Well, not yet.

What’s his endgame, is he a reseller or archiving these or what :psyduck:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I use this thing with a little pat of unsalted Kerrygold on top and a tossed sprinkling of sea salt after it pops.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If you’re eating something other than popcorn in a theater it’s gotta be soft and chewy, like Raisinettes or Mike & Ikes.

Any kind of chip is a war crime :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I used to get the Maker’s Mark shake and a meatball pizza whenever I’d go to the Friday night horror double features.

I love fried pickles and I’d get those too, but Alamo for some reason cuts and fries them lengthwise instead of slicing them, which means the texture is all off and they’re terrible.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
God I hope not, 3D is such a tiresome gimmick to inflate ticket prices. I can count on one hand the number of movies that actually used it well.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Cave of Forgotten Dreams. In fact it's the only 3D movie I ever saw where I actually enjoyed the 3D effect rather than being annoyed by it.

Also Dredd.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s also one of the more interesting silents I’ve seen, just because it’s part documentary and part “re-enactment”. It’s oddly fun with a crowd.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I won't begrudge anyone for liking a movie enough to spend that amount on a blu-ray, but I saw Lake Mungo in theaters a bit ago and it just didn't click with me at all. It was fine, but I don't really get the following it has.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I had some $10 code for using the Amazon app, so I just picked up the Columbo series set for $20. It beats sitting through 10+ minutes of ads watching each episode on IMDbTV.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Aside from a few moments you already see in the RLM review, I was pretty disappointed in Geteven tbh. Are the other cuts more entertaining?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Hell in the Pacific is solid, but I’m a sucker for “foes become reluctant allies” movies and I’ll watch just about anything with Mifune in it, so ymmv.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MacheteZombie posted:

Criterion is for noobs. Just lol if u aren't buying from some niche label with like 3 movies in their catalog. Just lol

Normal brain: buying the Breakfast Club Criterion from Best Buy

Galaxy brain: buying a burned blu of vintage industrial animated shorts from Thunderbean’s half-broken site

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I turn my unemployment checks into Arrow and Criterion releases, OP

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

IIRC, the director's cut really didn't have much involvement from Wise after all. My guess why it's the first four is that II-IV are part of an arc and it would be weird to leave out the first one. Then they'll do a double of V and VI, then a second 4-film set of the TNG films. Paramount is remastering the "director's cut" for Paramount Plus at least (in 4K no less).

The second set is V, VI, and Generations “because the latter closes out the TOS cast’s story”, but really it’s so they can stretch the TNG films into two separate box sets.

The whole thing is beyond dumb, just make one big box set.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

edogawa rando posted:

On the other hand, it's Shatner's unchecked ego, and easily the weakest of the TOS crew movies.

No way, that’s 3. I would argue that 5 is better than 3 and less dated than 4.

5 has some of the best character moments in the TOS movies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

edogawa rando posted:

Seriously though, it goes

1. Wrath of Khan (Director's Cut)
2. Undiscovered Country (Director's Cut) - put it on blu-ray already, you cowards.
3. Galaxy Quest
4. Voyage Home
5. Beyond
6. Star Trek '09
7. First Contact
8. Search for Spock
9. Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Cut)
10. Into Darkness

And here we get into the genuinely lovely movie-zone
11. Final Frontier
12. Insurrection
13. Generations
14. Nemesis

No way, Generations deserves much higher ranking based on the score and cinematography alone. The only genuinely bad and unredeemable Treks are Nemesis and Into Darkness, although the latter does have a strong opening and Peter Weller.

Insurrection, Search for Spock, and Voyage Home all just kind of exist and are probably bad movies, but relative to the rest of the series they’re all just middle of the pack.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I would buy a 4k Criterion release of Armageddon, I’m not gonna lie. I have some fond nostalgia for that extremely dumb movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Kung fu doesn't seem to be Criterion's forte, but now that Arrow's given us a Shaw Bros. set, maybe they'll do a Golden Harvest one next.

I was really hoping they’d do more GH stuff after that Police Story set, but Eureka and 88 both still have them beat by a mile.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This is the Criterion UHD they keep teasing

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My last showing was with Tommy in attendance and it was pretty chill. He had a particularly insane Q&A beforehand, which was great, but he seemed genuinely sad signing stuff afterward.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Neither, it’s a great movie

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’d love to see a cut with the original effects intact.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

FitFortDanga posted:

In all seriousness, this is the perfect time to reevaluate your collection and your collecting habits. Narrow it down to movies you are realistically going to watch again and jettison the rest. It's just stuff.

I’ve actually been ripping all my stuff to Plex this summer and when I’m finally done I’m just gonna sell off anything I don’t think I’ll ever rewatch.

And since I’m horrible about impulse purchases it’ll be a sale to rival the loving B&N and Warner Archive events combined. :shepface:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Speaking of Hammer, I finally watched The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires with some friends this past weekend and that movie loving rules. Super pumped to see that a Shout blu release exists.

Are there any other Hammer-Shaw Bros coproductions or was this it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Fry’s selection was unparalleled in the early/mid-00s, but I always found them to be super pricey.

Once in a great while I’d find good stuff on clearance there, though. Snagged a big chunk of my Arrow collection that way.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Xenomrph posted:

Citizen (Raisin’) Cane’s

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There’s room on my shelves for both goopy monster flicks and arty-farty films. :kiddo:

goopy monster flicks are more fun, though

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

dorium posted:

I will buy Roger Rabbit and Mystery Men in 4K day one.

:hmmyes:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

edogawa rando posted:

Nixt time the world is in peeril because some deekhead mayde himself a ring, don't expect help from us.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

IUG posted:

Featuring the least friendly-to-shelve box they could get away with.

Nah, that honor has to go to one of Criterion’s oversized box sets that couldn’t just be the standard height and size for ~reasons~. I’ve got the Godzilla art/storybook just perched above the rest of a shelf in a way that I’m sure is somehow destroying the discs and/or binding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I went into Krampus an extreme skeptic, given that it’s a) modern popcorn horror and b) centered around a thing that had been meme-ified to death beforehand, but it’s honestly loving great.