Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
went down to the media shop this weekend, bought the Resident Evil box set on BD :getin: doesn't include The Final Chapter but for $12 I'm ready to shut my brain off and catch up on the best worst zombie movie series. not ashamed to admit I liked the first two movies when they came out , it's been fun to rewatch them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
What do you all recommend for storing/displaying your physical media? What few IKEA DVD/CD rack shelves I have are almost completely full and they no longer make or sell them in store. There are a bunch online but most reviews complain of dubious stability or build quality. I have a regular bookcase but it's got actual books on it and it'd look a little weird to have DVDs/Blurays in there too.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Boywhiz88 posted:

I gently caress w the BIG Atlantic shelves.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/atlantic-oskar-wood-media-cabinet-espresso/4221575.p?skuId=4221575

I’ve got two of these. One is exclusively for Blu-Ray’s these days. The other has a mix of media on it, and I’m a big fan of its flexibility.

These are the ones I was looking at before and it seems like a lot of people online say that the pieces come without the proper holes drilled in them, or that pieces come de-laminated and impossible to assemble. Upshot is they're in-stock at the local BB so I guess worst case scenario I just drive right back to the store. Thanks!

Xenomrph posted:

Buy a bigger house, duh.

Oh trust me, size of the house is not an issue. I could just start piling it all up in the hallways Hoarders style, but that's just not my bag baby :wink: I'd unironically love to have a fake mid-90s looking video rental store type thing going on like the Cinemassacre dudes have for their Rental Reviews series at some point but it's not very realistic. Cheesy rear end wood paneling and ceiling mounted CRT with VCR, now that's the poo poo right there.

barnold fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 9, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Bought way too much poo poo recently as well, but now I'm stocked up for a while :getin:

Blu-ray
Mulholland Dr. Criterion (wanted to pick up Fear & Loathing while I was at it but the shop didn't have it in stock)
Constantine
Hellboy
Land of the Dead

DVD
Austin Powers 1-3
Alien Collector's Edition
Blazing Saddles 30th Anniversary (this looks unbelievably good on a 43" 1080p for a DVD somehow. better than most in my collection)
The Producers
Last House On The Left Unrated
Reincarnation (pretty sweet Japanese horror film by the guy who did Ju-on: The Grudge)
Clerks 2
Mallrats
Jackass Complete TV & Movie Collection
Scary Movie 1-4
The Matrix trilogy (now I'm refreshed and ready for Resurrections in December)

e: I almost forgot, I also got Lost In Space.....on VHS. it was 50 cents and I couldn't say no

barnold fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 29, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I just found out about the Session 9 Limited Edition from Second Sight, but the discs are Region B only, which won't play in my Series X :saddumb:

Then again, the movie was shot on digital and the Shout Factory BD is probably looks just the same, so maybe I should buy one anyway just for that sweet rear end sleeve and the art cards. I loving love that movie

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

drat. 3.5 on Blu-Ray seems like the only one I can get in my region for cheap, so I just ordered that complete TV & movie DVD collection. It says it'll arrive in...2 weeks? :negative:

the Complete TV & Movie collection is easily one of the best ways to have the entire set in one place. the first movie was shot on DVCAM for a lot of skits and HD releases can only apply so much lipstick to that pig. same goes for a lot of the TV series, especially the clips pulled from the earlier CKY films. the quality improves drastically once you get to Jackass 2 and up, but still looks pretty good on DVD

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

just upgraded to a 4K OLED and can finally begin enjoying pristine quality UHD blu-rays. so far I've got:

The Blues Brothers (now I own this loving movie on VHS/DVD/BD/UHD)
Gattaca
John Wick
Saw
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (I like the first 5 ngl but this one is doodoo poo poo)

I also browsed through the boutique section at the local record shop and picked up the VS release of Madman because I was reading the back of boxes and that one sounded supremely entertaining. looking forward to enjoying some high quality physical media

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

got the Session 9 blu-ray from Shout Factory today. probably the best this movie could conceivably look given the cameras it was shot on. but god drat it looks good

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I've watched the Blues Brothers approximately 200 times and since buying the UHD recently, I've probably added another half dozen. great background noise

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

bought the Fast & Furious 20th Anniversary 4K as well as The Dark Knight 4K yesterday. haven't watched TDK yet but F&F looked real good. it also reminded me how intensely goofy the first F&F is (I don't think I've seen the original in ages)

its plot pacing is less of an arc and more like a bunch of spikes, and it ends so abruptly that I actually said "holy poo poo that's where the credits roll??" at the end. it did make me feel like I need to get F&F2 now though

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I wish Dawn of the Dead 2004 would get a 4K release. It's weird to me that it hasn't been done already, but I guess the license costs a zillion dollars. The regular Blu-Ray looks nice but it would be amazing in 4K

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I only own the Universal release, though I've been thinking about getting the Shout disc as I've heard it's significantly better in many ways

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

Elf is a fun movie, but I'm not the kind of person who would buy a 4K disc that you really only can watch at a certain point in the year.

have you ever seen the average Elf fan? these people would watch that movie on a 4K disc three times a week, every single week of the year lol

I want motherfucking Dunston Checks In on 4K. make it happen, Jason Alexander

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

barnold posted:

I wish Dawn of the Dead 2004 would get a 4K release. It's weird to me that it hasn't been done already, but I guess the license costs a zillion dollars. The regular Blu-Ray looks nice but it would be amazing in 4K

yes. yesssssssssssss

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

david_a posted:

monkey’s paw curls its finger

i remember renting this from blockbuster as a kid and loving it lol. i should re-watch it and see if i still hold that opinion

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

The best non-comedic zombie movie, don't @ me.

shootout between it and 28 Days, but yeah, pretty drat close for me too. i'm so excited to get the 4K release

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

my Region 2 copy of 2009's Fish Story has arrived in the mail today :toot: it came with a big sticker on the shrinkwrap from the seller that said "THIS IS A REGION 2 DVD AND WILL NOT PLAY IN MOST U.S. PLAYERS - This is the movie you bought. If you did not intend to buy a Region 2 release, please do not open and return the disc". clearly the seller has had enough of stupid North Americans buying their releases and trying to return them after they've been opened lol

luckily for me this is why I still keep a special Sony OptiArc drive in my PC with RPC-stripped firmware installed. but also my Series X is a region-free player so it's siskels all around

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

mutantIke posted:

Fish Story is great! Did you get the Third Window release?

that's the one :) I first watched it on the recommendation of a college professor I had once and I'm not sure what made me think of it but I had to go on and buy a copy last weekend

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

i love buying cheapass DVDs for stuff i don't feel particularly strongly about. i can bring them anywhere and play them in anything, including for friends and family who don't always have a capable blu-ray player on hand (we're talking rural new england - some of these people still had dial-up internet into the mid-2010s)

obviously for stuff I care about I will always opt for the best quality but I'm easy to please and watching a DVD on the same screen I watch my 4K UHDs doesn't really bother me

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

shout factory pre-orders are up for the Dawn Of The Dead 2004 UHD, and it comes with an ~exclusive poster~, which i immediately slammed down my cold hard cash for

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

my DOTD 04 arrived from shout factory today with the poster. lookin pretty good, except that the way they put/taped the paper wrap around the poster to put it in the tube caused a small tear at the top of the poster. i'm not tremendously heartbroken about it and i'm sure it'll look fine when framed but mildly disappointing i guess. time to enjoy a nice new 4K UHD tho

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

i don't normally put up the posters for any limited/collectors edition stuff i pick up, but DOTD04 is an all-time favorite and is definitely getting hung up for me, with or without the tiny rip

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Boywhiz88 posted:

Good frame job will cover that easily. Also, think of it as more authentic, more DOTD!

trip to the framer scheduled for saturday :toot: what's worse than the poster rip is that i accidentally grabbed the loving plastic cover to the blu-ray case when taking the shrinkwrap off and completely mangled it. a new empty 3-disc black UHD case is now on order...i truly am a dipshit lol

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

are there still lots of 4K sets out there that don't do per-input video settings? my LG C1 does so even if I had a standalone player rather than using my Series X, I wouldn't have to worry about disabling game mode because they'd never be connected to the same HDMI input

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

morestuff posted:

We’re talking about using the PS5 as both a game system and a 4K player, so it’s the same input

right, I think I misunderstood the original post. the PS5 doesn't automatically toggle game mode off when launching a blu-ray disc? that's a little surprising, my Series X will auto toggle from game mode to cinema mode when I launch the Blu-Ray player app

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I just found out that DVD.com still existed literally a week and a half ago and was mulling over whether it was worth it. Then I heard the news today

If anyone is really desperate for a replacement (I imagine most people are buying their discs rather than renting here) but GameFly still does movies fwiw

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

picked up the 20th anniversary Big Lebowski disc because it was on sale for the holidays. I have heard that the film looks really good on this release so I'm excited to give it a re-watch. other than that I've been slacking on my 4K collection lately, mostly been picking up stupid rear end DVDs from thrift stores and record shops to see if I can find the worst movies ever made

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

gently caress it, I picked up Die Hard, Independence Day, and Goodfellas UHDs from BB. my local stores have the weirdest selection of stock and I'd have to drive all over to get anything else I find particularly interesting so I just stuck with those three that were eligible for free shipping

kinda tempted to go get The Fifth Element but the local record store has it and I don't mind saving myself a drive + supporting local business, even if I have to pay a little more for the disc

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I don't know about pyramid scheme necessarily but FYE did run a huge scam for a long time. They were sued for their "rewards program" which provided lovely discounts on random poo poo like gift cards to other retailers. Their program charged you $11.99/month and required you to call one specific phone number and go through an early-00s AOL esque gauntlet of customer service reps in order to cancel. Tons of people signed up for these accounts thinking it was a regular customer loyalty program and not something that they had to pay every month for.

Even after they restructured, it apparently still exists according to their website:

quote:

There are two types of the Backstage Pass program:

Backstage Pass VIP - is a 1 month free trial with $11.99 billed directly to credit card on file after the trial period. Customer must call to cancel 1-877-351-2131 and can cancel at any time. Visit https://www.fyevip.com for additional details regarding the Backstage Pass VIP member benefits.

Platinum Backstage Pass - 1 year membership. $25 for the year. Please visit one of our stores to purchase the Platinum Backstage Pass

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

i bought Howard The loving Duck in 4K because it was $10 at the shop and the thought of owning that piece of poo poo on a 4K blu-ray was too funny to pass up. god help me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

pwn posted:

That shop bought it from best buy a couple months ago for $6* and made $4 off you. You have been forsaken

*and so did i

all the interesting discs were always "in-store only" from best buy and my local one never had anything good. oh well