Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

Another good example is The King's Speech. Rated R, why? Because he says gently caress more than once. Sure, it's otherwise lacking in objectionable material,

On the contrary, I strongly object

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Tokyo Drifter and Branded To Kill are also great ones

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Princess Bride is such a weird inclusion, as if there wasn't already a well-put together deluxe Blu-ray release with a glut of features

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

Eventually they’re gunna have to realize 90s and 00s comedy exists

What do you call Ghost World and Punch Drunk

Slacker too

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cloks posted:

How do you feel about RoboCop being in the collection?

Correct answer: The commentary track is great.

Before I heard about the new restoration I was sure Princess Bride was a RoboCop situation: the latest RoboCop blu has all the features of the criterion disk, so criterion doing it would just be redundant.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Tech Moan is my second favorite youtube channel after hbomberguy. I'm guessing most people here have checked it out but if not you'll want to. There's some really fascinating stuff on there about defunct and obscure video and audio formats, even poo poo I've never heard of before.

That's one I'm subscribed to but never really get around to

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Why? It's a perfect Christmas movie.

I assume because they enjoyed it so much they wish they could have seen it earlier

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

I can't think of many films I'd less want to hear the commentary for than this.

It would be like listening to someone watch their eighth grade talent show, but if their eighth grade talent show involved a massive unicycle accident with multiple casualties.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

While it looks like there's no video content, there'd a CD+Blu deluxe box set of The White Album coming on November 9th.

CD 1/2: New 2018 stereo remix by Giles Martin and Sam Okell
CD 3: Esher demos (27 tracks)
CD 4/5/6: Outtakes/singles

The Blu-ray has high-res PCM stereo and DTS-HD MA 5.1 mixes of the new 2018 remix, plus the mono mix.

Also has a 164 page coffee table book with extensive recording notes and photos.

Wild that late period Weezer is getting this sort of release

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

T2 looks good but not as good as they hyped it up to be.

I mean Danny Boyle is always dependable for visuals but $18m only goes so far. It's not an ugly movie by any means though.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

From Arrow Video:

This finally convinced me to pull the trigger on the Phantasm set.

Same but for the Scorpion set

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

Lo lat people hating on Funko pops and then go out and pretend their not the same kind of if not more so of a loser when they buy Vinegar Syndrome or Arrow movies etc.

I buy Funko pops not to collect them but because they’re cute and cool and is a way to appreciate something I enjoy that may not be able to otherwise. Do you really think anyone else but Funko would make a Wayne Simmons toy? Or a altered beast cover toy?

Get over it losers. Just because you own the criterion of some French movie doesn’t make you any less of a dweeb then someone who owns a funko of Immortan joe

But you can actually watch a movie, you can't even pose a Funko. Like even one of those Figuarts things has an undeniable level of actual craft put into its design and construction that is just absent with Funkos.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I don't inherently dislike small plastic toys, I have a tiny golden Gundam I got for 8 dollars and I like it fine, the problem is that the base Funko design is purposefully blank and soulless, the only individualizing factor being the clothes and hair. It's a cheap, ugly, useless design.

The Gundam can move its arms and has a little gun and shield, it's dope.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

No. Untrue. False. Tepid and bad opinion. Dispose.

Actually, the opposite is true

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Slim Pickens milly rocking on the atomic bomb for Dr. Strangelove

Unfriended but it's a deep fried meme

American History X but with pepes

I Before E fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 1, 2018

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

What was it?

Secret Honor

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Also, floor space for physical media decreasing in physical retailers may say less about physical media purchases as a whole and more about the declining status of physical retailers as opposed to online shopping as a point of purchase for physical media.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

That set sounds interesting less for the film itself than for those extras, especially those documentaries.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

If someone had a copy of BOAN that was literally just the film, I agree that would be a weird and maybe concerning thing to have. However, with the documentaries and contemporaneous films included, it's pretty clearly a set that explores the film as a racist historical artifact, fitting its release by a noted film history organization.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The perfect compromise here would be to create an anime version of Birth Of A Nation

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Not enough, this won't be solved until we have Nathan Bedford Forrest having a mech suit fight with Abraham Lincoln, who is voiced by a Bill Clinton impersonator, which culminates in the knights of the Ku Klux Klan, the valiant veterans of the Confederacy, and a token Pure White Woman doing a White Power Spirit Bomb that reveals Lincoln to be a black man in disguise, and also it becomes the highest rated anime of the season because as Goblin Slayer shows, the anime community gravitates to the most grotesque show available. Then we'll have... something else to talk about at least.

なぜリル・ウェインはその言葉を言うことができますが、私はできないのですか?(Why Is It That Lil Wayne Can Say That Word, But I Can't?), coming to Crunchyroll Spring 2019

I Before E fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 1, 2018

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dilz And Head's Sexcellent Assventure

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Shock Treatment

You got me so excited before I realized it's region b only

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Did this lunatic organize these by the Criterion spine number?

Do you not?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm gonna go see Peter Jackson's World War 1 documentary in theaters in a few days but I'm not going to pretend like every movie he's made in the last 15 years hasn't been poo poo

Oh so that's what Mortal Engines is about

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

I know this isn’t the best place to say it, but for interested parties, “Sorry to Bother You” is on Hulu.

There's a "what to watch on streaming" thread, you know

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

I found out about this box set today which is a really good deal because each of these movies individually are 23 dollars:

https://www.amazon.com/TKO-Collection-Takeshi-Kitano-Blu-ray/dp/B07HSX3D2V/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546658236&sr=8-2&keywords=takeshi+kitano

That's Region A, right?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I went for The Hunger, The Yakuza, Gun Crazy, and Joe Vs The Volcano

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Timby posted:

They were a nice older couple who had owned the house for more than 30 years but were ready to retire to a condo.

You should have seen the paint jobs that were in the bedrooms, and some of the insane wiring and ventilation work they had had done. :barf: (For example, the hood on the kitchen range didn't vent outside, it just vented into the garage. Was able to knock about $15K off the purchase price from some of the bizarre poo poo going on there.

:sigh: And now I live alone in an apartment facing a marsh, and I've had a few stinkbugs coming out through the heat registers, which means I can't be the only person on my floor dealing with that poo poo.

I didn't know there was a Groverhaus prequel

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I got that Kitano set someone posted a week or two back, and this is a petty thing but I wish the cases were consistent. Violent Cop and Boiling Point have these... interesting Ben Marra covers, but not Hana-Bi, which gets on my nerves.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I don't even hate the Marra covers, I just wish they picked a side

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Microsoft throws shade at their own products now. They're calling their disc-less Xbox One S the "Xbox One S All-Digital Edition." :sad:

It's true, Your Honor. This console has no discs.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

They’ve got Marty too. I’ll definitely be getting their release, since I missed Arrow’s LE set.

I assume you mean Martin, not 1955 Best Picture winner Marty starring Ernest Borgnine

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Do any Criterion blu-rays still have the color bars? I remember the DVDs did but I can't recall ever seeing that feature on a blu-ray but at least half of the Criterions I own are black and white movies.

Pretty sure Eraserhead does

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Silence was a very good movie.

Also Wolf Of Wall Street

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I take all my blurays out of the case and put them in a bunch of numbered cd jewel cases which I keep in a big file cabinet with a binder of what film corresponds to which number

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

(I agree but it was a dunk on that idiot in the YouTube video from a while back. Even though he doesn't alphabetise or order his junk hoarding, if he did he'd file A Scanner Darkly under A because he's an idiot)

How would you distinguish it from The Scanner Darkly otherwise

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

Does Bill Pullman give it

That would be a handjob

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

dorium posted:

Makes me wonder what Carpenter Alien movie would be like.... :wiggle:

If only he had ever made a movie about a small crew of professionals stuck in a confined space with a dangerous extraterrestrial creature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

uh that will destroy the resale value you moron you absolute idiot

That's why you buy a second set