Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

I honestly can't put faith in the narrative physical is a dying like the dodo.

The vinyl revival was started both in response to physical media dying out, and as a result of hi-fi communities and their apocrypha. I just see a future where the narrative of digital streaming being a 'subpar' viewing experience taking hold. Not to mention people's pet favorite films just disappearing and reappearing every 6 months-5 years. Unless wireless internet providers improve exponentially, outpacing broadband and fiber, and studios either becoming a lot more proactive making their films available at all times, or digital media purchase becomes a larger market, I just feel like it's a retraction due to watching trends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Sir Lemming posted:

Couple of important differences though:

1. The analog (pun intended) to vinyl, for movies, would be film, and I don't see home film projection ever being a thing.
  2. Music is a WAY more pretentious hobby than movies, generally, and I say this with all due respect to music/vinyl lovers like myself.
  3. Part of the appeal of vinyl is the large format cover art and liner notes, which used to be a bigger aspect of the original release and got "lost" to some extent with the move to CDs and digital. The closest thing I can think of for movies is the poster, which there is indeed a pretentious market for already.

I guess it could still happen, but unlike music, the history of movies is mostly in theaters, not as a home product. So there's not really some high ideal to return to, other than the theater experience. That's making some very limited comeback in terms of boutique arthouse theaters or whatever. But movies as a home product have always been a secondary concern, never the "real" way to experience them. It started out with crappy quality, crappy packaging, and tiny TVs, and it's really hard to argue that what we have now is anything other than an improvement.

Now, I'm not saying streaming will never fall out of fashion -- I just think most people would be content with movies being downloadable digital files rather than something you can hold. Whereas music snobs are not content with that.

(And it is only now, after typing all that, that I realize you were probably not so much talking about "digital vs. physical" as "streaming vs. owning". Whereas I think other people were talking about owning a disc vs. just a file. Whatever.)

It's not sincerely about 'Hip old format', but rather the enthusiast trends disseminating their way to a larger public. I believe the same arguments of data loss and encoding and low bit rate that drove the early demand for vinyl will do the same for physical movies. I can't imagine that streaming will give the same performance of 2001 that the UHD release will. Perhaps right now we're in a golden age of home cinema, in terms of quality of format. And I just think, sometime down the line when a new generation grows up unfamiliar with racks of DVDs and Bluray, they will look to the physical disc the way mine look to Vinyl.

Of course, this entire thesis is predicated on digital releases dying out over time. That consumers would rather pay the subscription to Netflix and Hulu and Prime, that neither studios or the market leaders won't bother with digital sales due to lack of interest. And, when consumer demand is effectively against the 'watch what we say you can' model, that the market doesn't pick back up. I'm certainly not saying I'm absolutely correct and y'all a bunch of buscuitheads, but assuming that capitalism keeps capitalising, I think the demand will return.

Of course there's always the third option of revival cinemas just exploding side stepping the issue entirely, but I figure it's a safe bet against that.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Okay, what do you think is more believable?

That Disney would release the Unaltered Trilogy as part of the 'Complete Saga' release post-Ep 9, including both Rouge One and Solo. With them breaking up the set on a yearly basis, so the following year would be the 'budget' release of just the numbered episodes, then the trilogies in their own distinct packaging, then each of the movies piecemeal.

-Or-

That Disney would instead release each episode on a yearly (or bi-yearly) basis in a ridiculously lavish box set. The unaltered trilogy, the theatrical Special Editions, 2000's DVD and Bluray alterations as branching paths. With pretty much every special feature and every supplemental additions they can conceivably add over a number of discs. Pretty much each movie being the equivalent to the LotR Extended Edition box set. Maybe even a couple feelies to keep the value up. This would command a premium price, pretty much the equivalent of purchasing either of the trilogy sets now. Barebones releases wouldn't come out until well after, likely in time for a new series of Star Wars films.

Also, I can't imagine Disney doing anything but a theatrical release of the unaltered trilogy first. With the right kind of a marketing blitz, I can't help but imagine Disney making even the most apathetic members of the public excited about a 'new' Star Wars even ("available for the first time in over 20 years"). It could act as a yearly stop gap for whatever is happening after Episode 9 and whatever comes afterwards.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

So just confirming. Will I finally stop being racist if I put my copy of Birth of a Nation on it's own Billy bookcase, away from the rest of my films so they don't become contaminated with the racism, with a little placard saying 'I'm not racist', so that people won't think I'm racist?

Edit: Also with specialized lighting to draw attention to my lack of racism shrine.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 30, 2018

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

CPL593H posted:

I'm pretty sure they're also Mill Creek releases so I'd steer clear of them anyway.

Universal is also doing a series of gimmicky Clam Shell VHS Case releases for their blurays. Cases (without a proper VHS to compare with) seem the proper size though perhaps rather flimsy. Inside is just a standard bluray, same as you would get in a regular case, no extras or additions. Up here in Canada, the lineup is

E.T.
Jaws
Breakfast Club
Sixteen Candles
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Fletch
Slap Shot
Backdraft

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

If the only think you care about is resolution, it's an upscale from 2k footage. But it's in HDR, which is the real tech upgrade from the past few years. So if you have a 4K player and an HDR capable display, it might be worth it. Ultimately it comes down to if that upgrade for that specific film is worthwhile to you.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

All the K's in the world won't shut up your friend who insists that a Munchkin hanged himself.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

To play devil's advocate, this Babadook release is only a part of Shout Factory's Pride sale. Which does highlight a lot of Shout's history of Queer/Camp/Feminist releases. Including, yes, Vincent Price, Clive Barker, John Waters, etc. Though navigability and discovery doesn't help when they're arbitrarily split up by several seasons of That Girl, Designing Women, and The Nanny. And not to mention the very strenuous connection some releases have to Pride (Death Becomes Her?). The Babadook is the exception, being the only Pride exclusive release as well as not being on sale.

Plus, it doesn't seem Shout is the most eggrigous example of a history of Homophoboa/Transphobia/Queer Bashing. Maybe opportunistic, and maybe it's kinda lovely to profit off a group who has historically suffered. Or, maybe their history of niche queer/queer-adjacent titles is motivated by individuals wanting to champion them for Art's sake. I don't know, I am certainly open to hearing stronger arguments.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

CPL593H posted:

I'm guess I'm not mad specifically at Shout Factory, although the Bababook thing is some serious "How do you do, fellow kids?" poo poo. It's the trend in general.

That's fair. I just thought the conversation was working on a bit of misinformation. Plus, I thought the ripping on the Babadook, Special (-ly changed sleeve and nothing else) Edition, was kinda analogous to ripping on Furries when there's Nazis in the White House.

Certainly conceded that it is semi-cringy meme stuff. On a scale of 1 (The original, unaltered Steamed Hams scene) to 10 (Squishy Daddy Emoji Rant), it's a 2. Maybe 2.5

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Does anyone know if they're doing a UHD release with HDR? That extra vibrance is a deal maker/breaker for me.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Iron Crowned posted:

One of my favorite rabbit holes of late is blocks of old commercials on YouTube, and I found this gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOSYV8mgoA#t=1247s
(should start at 20:47)

Out of curiosity, I punched $29.95 into an inflation calculator and that's about $70 in 2019 :tenbux:

Now I don't feel bad about spending that much on a UHD

I think you mean 23:18? Unless somehow a Pontiac is somehow relevant to this thread, in which case I'm the one looking a fool.

It's funny to see one of the central, eye catching movies being Starman (which certainly deserves love, it's just odd for how forgotten it became), but it's cool that Stop Making Sense gets the same treatment (which, instead, is still appreciated exactly how much it deserves to be).
But jesus America, you couldn't just keep blackface off screen for 2 seconds, could you?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

PlushCow posted:

What about a cd binder and getting rid of the cases???

Just getting rid of the case? There's a perfectly good cover to cut down into a square so it can go into the CD sleeve as well.

Just did it for all my Criterions, and now onto my steelbooks.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

I just buy blurays for the digital codes, throw the cases away, cut up the covers for collages, and use the discs as coasters.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

CPL593H posted:

I prefer to use the discs as frisbees at the beach. I usually bring them on one of those big spindles they use to put CD-Rs on because you'll inevitably lose a bunch of them.

Why would you waste the spindle in such a way? It's got a flared base and everything.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

IUG posted:

You should sign up for the Disney Movie Rewards. It's free, and if you give them these codes, it gets you like 100-200 points (I think). After a few thousand, you can get a free movie sent to you (and some extra points more, free shipping even). I had one snowy day where I went through my Marvel/Pixar stuff (Star Wars would work too), and got enough codes for 60 bucks worth of merchandise.

Hey, I'm like the only person who keeps on top of this. And infuriatingly, this isn't the case anymore. They switched branding to "Disney Movie Insiders", and they reduced the rewards to pretty much giftcards, printable stuff, "charity donations", and D23 premium memberships. No movies (not even Disney+). Their social media guys have stated that movies may return as a reward, but y'know, they didn't exactly promise. And it sucks, cause just before they suddenly switched, the were bringing in uhd discs as rewards.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Welp, retro tech youtubesman Techmoan has introduced me to a brave new world of physical media packaging. Perhaps it's the new wave of the future, soon to be picked up by criterion and shout and all them jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1KlcwoEa04

Graphic design is left to be desired, but A+ idea and execution.

Who's up for buying The Lion King for the first time, now with added built-in screen?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

There's still 6 available for $79.00!

Plus shipping.

Honestly, that would be great for a John Waters collection. Don't know what, but it seems on brand for him. Maybe you just open it up and he starts laughing at you.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

I mean, you watch them now, both GITS and Akira are decently underwhelming now. They are both highly respectable, super stylish, very technically accomplished feats of animation. But they're both very style of substance. Story is pretty much "things happen." They make sense in the moment, but when it's all over it's difficult to extract or take away much other than imagery and ideas. That's a very reductive criticism, but their excellence is more subdued than viscerally revolutionary.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Also I think he contributed some writing to Rebel Media, who is very much one of those "LIEberal Colleges want to steal our rights to kill people. Also, is the Black Problem just as bad as the Jew Problem?" establishments.

And as someone who had to second hand deal with their bullshit, gently caress anyone who is even willing to shake hands with the eighth rate devil that is their "media empire".

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

CPL593H posted:

Why do any of you loving lunatics arrange by anything other than alphabetical order?

I just go by genre per shelf, and then if there's an output by a filmmaker and studio that I care, I place those first by release order (e.g. Pixar or John Carpenter). And for the remainders, alphabetical order unless I really don't want to bother (Then it's just by "stuff it randomly in the shelf" order).

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What I love about slip covers is that the manufacturers calls them “o-rings,” which just profoundly filthy. They’re rectangles, for gently caress’s sake.

I hope this doesn't awaken anything in me...

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

I like Tarantino :ohdear: ...

Not that I think he's a flawless filmmaker, or a transcendent artist, but I dig his ability to flagrantly waste a ton of money and time on something so specific, with the benefit of not needing to care about the rules of filmmaking, marketing, or audience. He just makes a product so specific and seemingly uncompromised, it's refreshing in the north american film market. Though perhaps that's probably a failure of the film industry to cultivate new talent and allow them to develop voices outside of IP and franchises. But I choose to appreciate what we are able to get than rue him for what we don't.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

And plus the older cover would show the age of the movie, and they want the new one to seem "fresh" and "with it" to Cynthia as she passes by an end cap on her way to buy an emergency phone charger. And if it looks old, then she might feel bad about how she's an old lady. But if it's hip and young, then she too will remember the exciting, madcap adventures of everyone's favorite wacky film hero.

Point being, eat the rich.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

dorium posted:

Microsoft really needs to cut the bull and just call everything xbox.

I think that's the goal with the "Series" branding. They're probably going to do incremental upgrades going going forward within the letter sku, and only doing a dramatic overhaul of the system specs for a new letter cycle. But no matter what, it'll all be the "Xbox Series"

Of course, this all goes to poo poo if the Series doesn't hit, or it does hit in a modest to moderate scale but an executive gets bored and wants to shake things up.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

For season 1, didn't they get some people from the Simpsons to do commentary for an episode, not because they worked on it (they didn't) but just cause they're a fan of their commentaries from the Simpsons DVDs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Seems like it's time to upgrade your UHD player's graphics card. Good timing too, now that our movies will be able to take advantage of ray tracing.